Cereal. Any suggestions

1235»

Replies

• Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Love, love, LOVE cereal. I tend to stock up on groceries when there is a product I like at a great price, so you know, I did a check on number of boxed cereal I had in the house -- an even dozen. Two boxes were open. The other TEN BOXES OF CEREAL were on deck. Oh, and I'm pretty much the only one in the house who eats cereal.

There are four Edible categories and one Never Again category.

1) Functional. These are cereals to be used in cooking.
    Short list of pretty much any of your unsweetened Chexes (rice, corn, wheat), Cheerios, and Corn Flakes.

2) What DH likes. These'll be any of your sugared cereals:
    Cap'n Crunch, Lucky Charms, Fruit Loops, Fruity Pebbles, Apple Jacks and so forth. To include all generic versions as well.

3) High Fiber. For when I have to focus on regularity.
    Kashi, Shredded Wheat, Raisin Bran, Grape Nuts. Cannot contain fake sugars like Fiber One.

4) What I like. This would be a listing of all other cereals. Some only get to make a rare appearance into the house, since they are hardly ever marked down enough to meet my price point.
    Life
    Quaker Cracklin' Oat Bran (each year comes in a progressively smaller blue box, may as well be crack)
    Basic 4
    Quaker Oat Squares (though the corn is good, too)
    Golden Grahams
    Raisin Nut Bran (omg, whatever that coating is around the raisins? I could just make a chaw out of it and have it all day long)
    Great Grains (all are fabulous)
    Puffins (the cinnamon one is yum-o)

5) Will not buy again.
    Rice Krispies (do you know how small a bowl you have to use to get the milk-to-cereal ratio correct? Plus, they get soggy super fast.)
    Kix (may as well be the packing peanuts when you ship fragile items. Talk about flavorless.)
    Honey Bunches of Oats (these are actually tasty, but you have to eat them lickity-split, or they get completely soggy. Took too much effort to pour a little cereal. Pour a little milk. Eat. Repeat.)
    Frosted Flakes (incredibly sweet)
    Corn Flakes (use for cooking only, see #1 Functional, above)
    Fiber One, Fiber One Plus, Fiber One Plus More Fiber (whatever, they all seem to be artificially sweetened & leave an aftertaste)
    Honeynut Cheerios (though I'm told this is great for people who are allergic to corn)

Like othersbefore , I excluded granola.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Oh, and you know what? I have also tried shredded wheat.

Shredded wheat
    Mini-wheats
    Frosted mini-wheats

I HATED THEM ALL. You will too. So don't buy those.

My favorites growing up. Topped with cling peaches from a can and whole milk!!
  • In addition to oatmeal, I do Quaker Life Cinnamon and Bob's Red Mill 10-grain hot cereal.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Special K Vanilla with Almonds. Delicious.
  • iamspdd
    iamspdd Posts: 134 Member
    Can NOT eat cereal. If I have a bowl of cereal it turns into 2 bowls... and then just a half bowl more... then a couple scoops more... but then I need to finish the milk so I pour in more to "finish the milk". I am so weak when it comes to cereal. Especially Cinnamon Toast Crunch. :blushing:
  • I make my own breakfast. Its got around 500 cals but fills you til lunch. It's really tasty, wheat free and low GI

1 large banana cut up
    half cup blueberries
    half cup strawberries halved
    2 tablespoons of porridge oats
    1 tablespoon of milled linseed/sunflower seed/pumpkin seed/chia seeds/ gogi berry mix ( brand is Crownfield can be bought in LIDL)
    Topped with 1 small tub low fat organic natural yogurt
    cinnamon to taste ( optional)
  • stormyxpony
    stormyxpony Posts: 157 Member
    I'm liking the Quaker medleys.

Also like the Quaker oatmeal squares.

yup...mom buys this.
  • KristenMarieRuffles
    KristenMarieRuffles Posts: 25 Member
    I loooooove Just Right....its naturally sweet so requires no sugars...has all kinds of grains and oats in it and the 3/4 cup serving is enough to keep you full through the morning to lunch. Paired with some fruit or string cheese its great!
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Kashi and Cascadian Farms are my favorite brands. I can get my favorite types of cereals, but organic. Mine and my sister's favorites right now are Strawberry Fields and Vanilla Island
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Kashi Go Lean