Shaving - women?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
How does everyone shave? I keep saying that if I ever win the lottery, the first thing I'm doing is permanent hair removal... I'm so SICK of ingrown hairs!

I used to use Veet, but it got expensive, so I used an epilator, and got horrible ingrown hairs (that was 15 years ago). I tried to have it done with wax... hello ingrown hairs. Switched to a razor... still horrible ingrown hairs. I'm not gonna lie, I didn't touch a razor the whole Winter to let my skin heal... but it's getting nicer. So I tried Veet again today, it took me one hour to get everything done, and I had to shave my right leg anyway in the end because it didn't catch half of it.

So sick of it. How do you all do it? I use scrubs in the shower and everything, it's just very frustrating, my legs always look horrible, at the end of the Summer last year I didn't even dare wearing shorts anymore!

Replies

• JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I shave, but I'm blonde so even if I miss a spot no one notices. Lol :) I don't really get ingrown hairs either. If I had that many problems, I'd most likely get laser hair removal. Sorry you're having issues with it :/
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you should look into getting a safety razor then. Multiblade razors have Dull/Sharp blades. Dull pulls on the hair and the sharp cuts it. Which is okay in most circumstances but sometimes it will cut hairs below the skin which cause ingrowns.

Safety razors are single bladed but easy to use and soooo much cheaper. 15 bucks for 100 blades? Hrm!

While I understand I'm a guy though. I do know a lot about shaving and I've been wet shaving for a long time now. Never have problems with my skin anymore ;)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    I don't
  • Francl27
    Options
    Sounds like you should look into getting a safety razor then. Multiblade razors have Dull/Sharp blades. Dull pulls on the hair and the sharp cuts it. Which is okay in most circumstances but sometimes it will cut hairs below the skin which cause ingrowns.

Safety razors are single bladed but easy to use and soooo much cheaper. 15 bucks for 100 blades? Hrm!

While I understand I'm a guy though. I do know a lot about shaving and I've been wet shaving for a long time now. Never have problems with my skin anymore ;)

Yeah I'm guessing men have some experience with it too, lol. Maybe I should just look into those. I'm just getting so desperate, but I want a close shave too. Seriously it's a pain!
  • WonderfullyPeachy
    Options
    Venus Razors. A nice smelling foamy shower gel, take your time and cocoa butter for afterwards.

Honestly Venus Razors are the smoothest ones I have encountered. Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Options
    Venus Razors. A nice smelling foamy shower gel, take your time and cocoa butter for afterwards.

Honestly Venus Razors are the smoothest ones I have encountered. Good luck!

It's what I use :(
  • WonderfullyPeachy
    Options
    Oh wow, maybe in that case it's the technique. What are you currently doing?
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options

Yeah I'm guessing men have some experience with it too, lol. Maybe I should just look into those. I'm just getting so desperate, but I want a close shave too. Seriously it's a pain!

A good wet shave does take like 5 minutes more prep but it does get a super close shave. It's pretty much the same as using a straight razor. (Which is an excellent method too especially on the legs.)
  • Francl27
    Options
    Hmm I do it every 2-3 days, just put shaving gel on my legs, then shave, starting at the bottom and going upwards. I typically don't go over the same spot unless I missed a spot. Then rinse it off.. I do it in the shower.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I have never really had issues with this! The only razor burn I ever get is at the bikini area and that's rare. Sorry I am not much help! However, I have JUST enough Italian in me so that even after I shave, if I get goosebumps or think about hair growth, I have stubble. LOL I just feel lucky that while my cousins all have thick black hairs mine are more wimpy and a lighter brown like the Scottish side of my fam.
  • futurejedi
    futurejedi Posts: 111
    Options
    keep it fury and natural like back during the 70's :devil:
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I don't.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about using monistat soothing care chafing relief for preventing razor burn/ingrown hairs. It's not very expensive. Maybe worth a shot? If that doesn't work maybe your Dr. can prescribe something?
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with shaving my legs, or underarms, or anywhere else. I shave my legs ( only in summer; in winter I always wear pants, so no need to shave) in the shower under running water. No burn, nicks, or ingrown hairs .I don't use any kind of aftershave product. I did try an Epilady once or twice, many years ago. but that thing was so excruciatingly painful I went back to shaving. I've never tried waxing, nor will I, that seems like it would be painful, and who needs more pain?
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I shave up and generally dont have a problem, but from what I've always been told, you are supposed to shave in the direction of the hair (down) to prevent razor burn/ingrown hairs.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I don't.

This is why I love you.

P.S. I don't either. And I'm wearing shorts today to show off my growth. I'm very proud of my body hair. It makes me feel like I have superpowers!
  • Sbrn_
    Sbrn_ Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I've never had any problems shaving. All I use is warm water and cheap disposable razors, no foams, gels, scrubs, etc. I've never had to deal with redness or ingrown hairs. Perhaps it's the gels and whatever else you use that causes the irritation? Maybe try using nothing but water and see how it goes.
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I sometimes shave my entire body for swimming competitions.
    I first trim & then shave (just a gilette fusion for shaving). But I don't shave against the grain.
    If you are to shave against the grain, make sure to shave with the grain prior to that.
    Also, if you warm up the skin and sooth it first, the shave job is a lot easier. e.g. shower, towel with hot water etc.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    There was a Seinfeld episode on this...

giphy.gif
  • LouLoulost
    LouLoulost Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    see an aesthetician-wax it they apply zinc so no bumps- professional wax is the way to go!