Shaving - women?

Options

Replies

• Owl_Green
    Owl_Green Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I love that guys are chiming in on this! Although, if I think if I tried a different razor I'd probably slip and cut myself and die a horrible death in the shower.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    the best way to avoid ingrown hairs is by exfoliating BEFORE you shave.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    the best way to avoid ingrown hairs is by exfoliating BEFORE you shave.

I do that. Ok my mistake might be going against the grain, but it doesn't seem to get all of them if I do it the other way?
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have a gf that actually suffers from this. Its actually a medical condition and she cant shave at all without breaking out in red bumps all over her legs. She HAS to get waxed its the only way to control it. After doing professional waxing for this for years she barely has anymore hair growth and shes full blood Italian. Seriously you may want to look into waxing. It has helped her tremendously.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I have a gf that actually suffers from this. Its actually a medical condition and she cant shave at all without breaking out in red bumps all over her legs. She HAS to get waxed its the only way to control it. After doing professional waxing for this for years she barely has anymore hair growth and shes full blood Italian. Seriously you may want to look into waxing. It has helped her tremendously.

I did it once and I ended up with a ton of ingrown hairs when they grew back :(
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Dang I got nothing then. I would suggest go to a dermatologist then they might be able to do something.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    When my husband is home I wax (and exfoliate once or twice a week) and when he's not I just apply shaving cream and go to town (I use safety razors, cause cheap.).
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I'd quit the Veet entirely.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I use Venus and Olay razors which have the soap and shaving cream attached to the razor. I find it gives me the smoothest shave.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting a Korea Italy towel to ex foliate. They are a couple dollars at an Asian market. You soak in the bath until your skin is pruney and then rub in a circular motion with the towel.
  • cheeky0122
    cheeky0122 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I rarely shave my legs buuuut, my recommendation would be to see a dermatologist. If that's out of the question for whatever reason, toss your multiblade and get a single blade.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I steal my husband's razor because his is better. Haha He uses the Mach 3 cartridge ones. I use conditioner as shaving cream too and never have any issues. I use coconut oil as "lotion" after a shower too...
  • nolabone
    nolabone Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am the only person that dry shaves. I only get ingrown hairs when I use a cream!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I don't.

This is why I love you.

P.S. I don't either. And I'm wearing shorts today to show off my growth. I'm very proud of my body hair. It makes me feel like I have superpowers!
    My wife freaks out and feels gross if she doesn't but it's no big deal to me.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    They say to avoid nicks & cuts a woman should always use a women's razor. Something about the angle of the blades being different. Also, have patience, when you get older a lot of the hair goes away! lol
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Um, save up for laser hair removal. It's worth it. If it's expensive in your state, look at neighboring states that you can drive to every 6-8 weeks to get it done. I go to a place where I live (Phoenix, AZ) and they have a special for $2000, I get 2 years of unlimited hair removal. I'm about a year in and I only shave my legs every couple of weeks to remove the few hairs that are there. I use to have thick, black, coarse hair (thanks to the Italian and Mexican in my DNA, plus PCOS) and now the hairs that remain are more thin and wispy.

Exfoliating is the best way to avoid ingrown hairs. Also, shave last in the shower so your hairs get all nice and soft. Lastly, make sure you use as sharp a razor as you can.

You might also want to look into Tend Skin products - I've had a lot of luck with those on the areas I've had ingrown hairs.
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It sounds like we suffer from a similar thing. I use an electric shaver, it's what I use the most.

and if you use a razor you have to shave in the direction your hair grows to prevent ingrown hairs. Sharpen your razor by running it up your arm (wrist to elbow direction) if that makes sense. It totally works to keep the blades lasting longer. Here is a video explaining it. You can also use jeans apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ADaRIqy0Dc
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I'm tempted to start not shaving LOL.
    Only tempted.

I want electrolysis someday haha.
    Heard it was painful, so not looking forward to the pain.. But I hate hair on myself.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Every damn day... If I don't keep up with it then I have problems with in grown hairs... I am so with you on lottery = permanent hair removal!
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    I don't shave unless my boyfriend is in town. I don't really care about anyone else's opinions about my body hair :/