Why so much hating on Beachbody coaches?

Options

Replies

• edisonsbulb
    edisonsbulb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Because when you find your own way, you should realize that it might not be the only way. Certainly not all, but the majority of BB coaches are doing a hard sell on here and giving inaccurate advice to people who didn't ask for it, and they do not consider the alternatives to the product they are selling. They become more like Jim Jones and David Koresh with their "help."
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I personally don't hate them. I have at least two members of my friendslist who are coaches and I friended one coach on Facebook. I've found they can be a source of inspiration. I don't, however, buy into the product. I've looked into it and it's just not for me, and they respect that. I think maybe it depends on the type of coaches you've come across to how you react to them?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Because they're annoying
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I ignore them because I make a generalization and assume that they may not be sincere about their desire to be my friend, because I feel bad when I'm rude to people, and because there are so many many wonderful successful other people around who share their success with me without an ulterior motive.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Because they're annoying

This.
  • therealkat
    therealkat Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Some coaches go about this the wrong way. You are people. You want help. We are here to offer it. Whether or not that ends in a sale is not the point. If we have a product that might work for you, it is up to you whether or not you want it. Pushy coaches give the brand a really bad name, and I apologize for those types. Honestly, with clients I have, I want to help them. Pure and simple. I don't want to sell you anything. That's a perk -- it's not my purpose. I want to see people reach their goals by any means. That's what this business is really about. Inspiration, motivation, and treating people like people -- from people who have been there themselves.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Half these responses are comical. Nobody forces you to buy their "scams". If you bought a BB workout and it didn't work, well welcome to capitalism.
  • Khatastrophic
    Khatastrophic Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Because a lot of them are very pushy, pretty much. I don't want people to try to sell me stuff.

^This.
    I had made a post before I knew better, asking for experiences with a certain BB workout program. I got spammed by coaches for about two months, even after I had the post removed.

The "Block" button is a wonderful thing, but not when you have to use it 20 times in one day
  • jeeplovin
    jeeplovin Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hate, is probably not the correct word I should have used. Thank you everyone for responding with your opinions. I do not like pushy people either. I suppose in BB, as in everything, there are all types.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Half these responses are comical. Nobody forces you to buy their "scams". If you bought a BB workout and it didn't work, well welcome to capitalism.

But if i told them i don't want to buy it, shut up about it already.
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options

A pyramid scheme is a scheme where there are no products sold. A network marketing company is a company that has products to sell but rather than selling retail (which takes a crap-ton of advertising dollars) they sell through word of mouth.

I am not a beach body coach or have a desire to be one, but I think a good portion of them are really great people who are just trying to make a living and help others!

MLMs put the cost of advertising on their distributors, which is one of the reasons that most distributors never earn a profit.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Some coaches go about this the wrong way. You are people. You want help. We are here to offer it. Whether or not that ends in a sale is not the point. If we have a product that might work for you, it is up to you whether or not you want it. Pushy coaches give the brand a really bad name, and I apologize for those types. Honestly, with clients I have, I want to help them. Pure and simple. I don't want to sell you anything. That's a perk -- it's not my purpose. I want to see people reach their goals by any means. That's what this business is really about. Inspiration, motivation, and treating people like people -- from people who have been there themselves.
    You almost had me. :bigsmile:

Just kidding.

If your only motivation is to help people achieve their goals, then you are in the minority.

And, if you are the minority and your only motivation is to help people achieve their goals, then why not let them know them know they can do it without the products by simply eating at a calorie deficit and possibly incorporating more movement in their lives?
  • DJtrvl
    DJtrvl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Like so many things in life, it all depends on the person you are interacting with. I have a friend who is a "coach" that I have been friends with for years, and one day I noticed how fit she was getting. I asked her about it, and she told me about p90x and stuff, and never offered or tried to push it on me. After some research, I asked her about ordering it, and she said I could buy it directly from the company, maybe find it cheaper on craigslist or the like, and said also she had a link where I could buy it thru her, but to be advised she would get a commission on it. As I don't like to buy used stuff, I made the choice to buy it thru her knowing it would benefit my friend, and I am ok with that decision.

Seeing the references to shakeology in their products and on their website, I went to her and asked if she could get me a sample. She did, and explained if I decide to buy it I could get it direct, or thru her, but she also said it was expensive, and recommended alternative cheaper solutions to me for non BB products.

She stays in touch with me and pushes me to keep up with my program, and in general is super supportive and motivational to me, because she is a friend and was long before either of us ever heard of beachbody.

I know that is not representative of all coaches, just saying that just like with everything, their are both good and bad examples out their.
  • princessnuriko
    princessnuriko Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I know one someone who is a BB Coach and I was like how? You're still overweight.
  • therealkat
    Options

Just kidding.

If your only motivation is to help people achieve their goals, then you are in the minority.

And, if you are the minority and your only motivation is to help people achieve their goals, then why not let them know them know they can do it without the products by simply eating at a calorie deficit and possibly incorporating more movement in their lives?

My point is that one interaction with a bad coach doesn’t mean we are all that way. That’s all. Yes, I can give you free advice until the cows come home, but some people need more guidance like an in home program they can rely on. Some people aren’t fans of the gym. It’s all about what works for the person. And yes – my goal is to help by any means. Like I said, the perk is that I can make money at it. If you could make a little side money doing something you loved and were passionate about… Wouldn’t you do it?

In the end, if you go into it thinking it will be a sour experience, it will be. It’s your choice whether or not you use a product, like a coach, drink Shakeology, eat clean… etc. Everything is up to you.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Just kidding.

My point is that one interaction with a bad coach doesn’t mean we are all that way. That’s all. Yes, I can give you free advice until the cows come home, but some people need more guidance like an in home program they can rely on. Some people aren’t fans of the gym. It’s all about what works for the person. And yes – my goal is to help by any means. Like I said, the perk is that I can make money at it. If you could make a little side money doing something you loved and were passionate about… Wouldn’t you do it?

In the end, if you go into it thinking it will be a sour experience, it will be. It’s your choice whether or not you use a product, like a coach, drink Shakeology, eat clean… etc. Everything is up to you.

And what are your qualifications to give advice to people? And can you detail what eating clean is? thnx
  • therealkat
    Options
    First of all, this it is not an interrogation. I never have claimed to be a nutritionist, but some BB Coaches are. I don’t claim to be a personal trainer, but some BB Coaches are. Some are doctors. Nurses. School teachers… It’s just about sharing what works for you.

Think of it this way – your best friend tells you they are doing P90x and it is working. Do they have to be a personal trainer for you to get interested and want to try it? Your neighbor has a garden and you see pumpkins growing. They share a recipe with you and give you a pumpkin. Do they have to be a nutritionist before your can decide if that recipe sounds healthy or like something you would want to eat? It’s work of mouth. It’s like Amazon reviews. You take them with a grain of salt and make your own choices.
  • jcorengo
    jcorengo Posts: 2
    Options
    I have a great bb coach. He never pushed anything on me. He honestly helped me. He would post stuff on his Facebook page and tell ppl when he had samples but that's about it. He help me even though I couldn't afford the shakes. In 2012 I purchased the Brazil butt lift and I just looked for any coach just to get signed up with. I really didn't care cause I wasn't really Looking for help. Last year he emailed me and asked me to join his group on FB. I made the best decision for myself that day and he's been helping me ever since. Big shout out to coach Todd Warren!!! Their not all bad!!!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Multi-level marketing is just the 21st century's pyramid scheme. Don't drink the Kool-Aid.

"I just want to help people", seriously? No, you just want to sell your overpriced, mediocre protein shakes. No one should actually be that naive, right?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Because they aren't coaches...they are salesmen.
    This. A real "coach" has the ability to instruct and train in a specific sport or business. To be a "coach" in Beach Body, all has to do is sign up. Like all MLM's, the "title" is just a glorified salesman's position in the company. Hardly any "coach" could build or instruct a physical fitness program for a client based on their actual endeavors or limitations in physical fitness.

As for Shakeology (which translates to the "study of shakes"), it's an overly priced product for "coaches" and upline to make money on. The ironic part is that the "coaches" are usually the sole support system of product purchase for the company due to autoship, just like other MLM's who use their sales people as product purchase/support for their money making schemes.

Beach Body physical training programs are fine. Selling BS on a site where people don't need to be pursued as "prospects" isn't.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition