rudest thing anyone has ever said about your weight?

Options

Replies

• silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    For me it wasn't while I was big, it was after I had lost all the weight. This one woman, explaining how I looked before the weigh-loss said: "She was huge! Bigger than a house." Wasn't even joking. le sigh.

I can relate to that part. People around here seem to know not to comment on your weight. If you're still overweight. But as soon as you lose the weight? Omg.

My own sisters were guilty of doing this. I remember talking about clothing sizes. I casually said the one was probably a XXL. Not to be rude, but I assumed she was as I had been her size at my biggest weight and I was. To which she exclaimed that XXL is huge and she had never been THAT big. Then there was the guy whom I saw the other day. Upon seeing me "last time I saw you, you were huge. like - " and then used his arms to gesture. I've heard "You were as big as a house" "You lost a whole person", etc. Seriously?

When did it become appropriate to comment on weight in such ways, period? I hate to talk about my ED history, but I know from experience... that's the stuff that fuels them.

And if it's any consolation, you get comments when you're skinny, too. I've heard it all. Crack addict, pill addict, "Go eat a cheeseburger". I think the rudest thing I have heard was actually about my being skinny. It came from a man I had literally only known a total of ten hours or so.

"You aren't on drugs or anything? No, you can't be, your teeth look okay."

After telling him how much weight I lost. Because, apparently, people who were once overweight can't lose weight unless they're on drugs. It's like even when you lose teh weight, society STILL assumes you're lazy.

Haha, I still hear the comments, I've learned to shrug it off. When they tell me to eat a cheeseburger, I'm like "dude, you've never eaten with me." It usually shuts them up when I tell them I've lost 100 pounds and I run twenty miles a week.
  • jammoe130
    jammoe130 Posts: 10
    Options
    She said this in front of my boyfriend and her husband and they didn't think anything of it. I felt like i had gone insane.

I know it's not really the same thing but I have been told I am fat by my mum for as long as I can remember. I genuinely don't remember a time when she didn't make comments about my weight.

I have learnt over a good number of years to just let it go. I know that is easier said than done but she obviously has issues of her own and feels the need to point out what she percieves to be your 'flaws' rahter than focusing on her own.

I'm so sorry she said that though, and I am equally sorry that your boyfriend didn't stand up for you. No one deserves that.
  • ccmzone2013
    ccmzone2013 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've lived my past life with almost 400lbs & constant nasty references from other people . . BUT I always took the negative energy people were wasting on making me the 'center of the joke' & used it for MOTIVATION to work harder to loose weight ...I did it...We all can!! :)

People who put people down regarding there own weight have underlying issues & imperfections within themselves....

NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!!
  • AmelieMustLoseWeight
    AmelieMustLoseWeight Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    A pizza delivery guy asked me when I was due. I'm not even that overweight...I need to lose like 15 or 20 lbs at most...so it was really startling and out of the blue and SO OFFENSIVE!!

But, OP, what disturbs me most about your story is your boyfriend's lack of sensitivity in not coming to your defense. It's one thing if his brother doesn't, but your boyfriend should be your biggest source of support. I'm sorry he wasn't up to the challenge, and I hope that changes.

That pizza guy sounds like a complete idiot. I feel like he must of been high or something...

he claims he didn't understand what she was trying to say.

he said it went right over head. he never went to school with other people. hes been home schooled his whole life so he doesn't understand caty behavior.

:{ the husband knew what she was doing but he couldn't defend me because she accused him of liking me or something. idk she came to me once and told me i couldn't be friends with them because she was jealous of me and thought he husband and i had too much in common. it was stupid so i stopped talking to both of them. every time i see them its really awkward though.
  • sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Some stranger yelled "oh look its ugly betty" at me from across a street loudly.
  • AmelieMustLoseWeight
    Options
    The Rudest thing anyone has said to me is "You're fat as a hog". Right to my face. I weighed about 180 then and now I weigh 197. My top weight was 227 she probably would have started oinking as soon as she saw me. LMBO

some people are disgusting....i can't believe someone would treat someone like this. :(

227 isn't even that large compared to most overweight folks. my mom was always 275 and up (same with my pop) Im used to members of my family being bigger. My mom cried tears of joy when she lost weight and got to the 220's.
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    A girl I considered a very close friend made a scene in front of a large group of our friends that no one should hug me because I'd break in half and went on to loudly comment that she didn't understand why I always had dates because who would want to date "a twig." I later came to realize it was a product of her own insecurity, but at the time it was incredibly hurtful.

If I had a dollar for every time I've been called "skinny b!tch" by a total stranger I could take us all out for milkshakes :noway:

Try to let the comments roll off your shoulders OP, people can be nasty but it's up to us to rise above that.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    A girl I considered a very close friend made a scene in front of a large group of our friends that no one should hug me because I'd break in half and went on to loudly comment that she didn't understand why I always had dates because who would want to date "a twig." I later came to realize it was a product of her own insecurity, but at the time it was incredibly hurtful.

If I had a dollar for every time I've been called "skinny b!tch" by a total stranger I could take us all out for milkshakes :noway:

Try to let the comments roll off your shoulders OP, people can be nasty but it's up to us to rise above that.

ooh milkshakes!!!

And just read your profile - miss WA usa? SWEeeeet. Rep Washington! :D
  • AmelieMustLoseWeight
    Options

See, I am glad you commented because everyone thinks that heavier people are only harassed about their weight. It's not true obviously. We live in a society where people think if you are fat it's because you over eat and are a slob. Or If you're skinny its because you are bulimic and take pills. I had a few lady friends who were naturally thin and people started vicious rumors about how they threw everything up to be thin. Jealously makes people do some rude things :(

I know Its best to let it go. Deep down I wish I could have corrected here there and then but i know the only way i can stick it to her if to lose my weight and own it proudly.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    A pizza delivery guy asked me when I was due. I'm not even that overweight...I need to lose like 15 or 20 lbs at most...so it was really startling and out of the blue and SO OFFENSIVE!!

But, OP, what disturbs me most about your story is your boyfriend's lack of sensitivity in not coming to your defense. It's one thing if his brother doesn't, but your boyfriend should be your biggest source of support. I'm sorry he wasn't up to the challenge, and I hope that changes.

That pizza guy sounds like a complete idiot. I feel like he must of been high or something...

he claims he didn't understand what she was trying to say.

he said it went right over head. he never went to school with other people. hes been home schooled his whole life so he doesn't understand caty behavior.

:{ the husband knew what she was doing but he couldn't defend me because she accused him of liking me or something. idk she came to me once and told me i couldn't be friends with them because she was jealous of me and thought he husband and i had too much in common. it was stupid so i stopped talking to both of them. every time i see them its really awkward though.

OP, your boyfriend sounds like kind of a jerk.. based on the above and this:
    especially when i had a nervous breakdown the year before this happened because my S.O came out directly and told me he wasn't attracted to me anymore for gaining weight .

Because what she said was an obvious insult, so unless he's just completely oblivious to everything..

But then he's not attracted to you because you gain 40 lbs? I'm not saying that's nothing, but I mean, it's not like you doubled in size or anything..
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    sometimes, a well-chosen stream of expletives is the best response when somebody is clearly meaning to insult or embarrass you.

i'd give you some examples that you could use, but i don't want to get a strike. :tongue:
  • them_and_me
    them_and_me Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Well, first of all, that's crazy because you're clearly gorgeous. She's obviously crazy jealous how incredibly awesome you are and is trying to find the one thing that you might be self conscious about to get at you. You should offer her some peanut butter to go with that jelly.
  • them_and_me
    them_and_me Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Some stranger yelled "oh look its ugly betty" at me from across a street loudly.

More like "Awesome Betty!"
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The closest thing to rude aside from some simple playful fat jokes, would be the time I took my dad to the VA for an appointment with his primary doctor. We were talking about getting his weight down so he can survive a surgery he needs. The doctor turned to me, and bluntly said "How old are you?" I said "26" he said "You're too young to be that big" then he handed me a diet plan. It was more surprising than rude lol.

If a doctor is giving you lectures on your weight at an appointment for someone else... well it's time to hit the gym lol.
  • AmelieMustLoseWeight
    Options
    Well, first of all, that's crazy because you're clearly gorgeous. She's obviously crazy jealous how incredibly awesome you are and is trying to find the one thing that you might be self conscious about to get at you. You should offer her some peanut butter to go with that jelly.

OMG I love that hahaha

Like I said I try to avoid her at all costs. Which sucks because my boyfriends family is very religious and different than me and my family so his brother was like the only one out of the family i knew liked me as a person. his mom and i fought so much because i was very secular and it freaked her out.

idk. I hate going to family events because i make it obvious that i dont want to be near her and everyone looks at me like im the *kitten*. No one knows half of the rude things shes said to me.
  • AmelieMustLoseWeight
    Options
    The closest thing to rude aside from some simple playful fat jokes, would be the time I took my dad to the VA for an appointment with his primary doctor. We were talking about getting his weight down so he can survive a surgery he needs. The doctor turned to me, and bluntly said "How old are you?" I said "26" he said "You're too young to be that big" then he handed me a diet plan. It was more surprising than rude lol.

If a doctor is giving you lectures on your weight at an appointment for someone else... well it's time to hit the gym lol.

yeah some doctors can just be so forward like that. i hate it because i think supporting someone if more effective than belittling someone but there doctors and they think they know it all.
  • AmelieMustLoseWeight
    Options

More like "Awesome Betty!"

I second this~
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options

See, I am glad you commented because everyone thinks that heavier people are only harassed about their weight. It's not true obviously. We live in a society where people think if you are fat it's because you over eat and are a slob. Or If you're skinny its because you are bulimic and take pills. I had a few lady friends who were naturally thin and people started vicious rumors about how they threw everything up to be thin. Jealously makes people do some rude things :(

I know Its best to let it go. Deep down I wish I could have corrected here there and then but i know the only way i can stick it to her if to lose my weight and own it proudly.

Glad to lend a different perspective :flowerforyou: I learned pretty quickly that people will try to tear you down for just about anything, and the best thing to do is hold your head proudly knowing you're happy with yourself. Personally I hold very little significance in my appearance, I think building yourself up through accomplishments such as education, internships, jobs, leadership positions, volunteer experiences, the relationships you build with others, etc gives you a much stronger foundation for self esteem. Once you've got that, ain't nobody got time for other folks slinging rude comments at them! Keep on keepin' on, OP!
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options

yeah some doctors can just be so forward like that. i hate it because i think supporting someone if more effective than belittling someone but there doctors and they think they know it all.

It's good though 5lbs down and I feel like tomorrow might be 6lbs, and it also got me motivated off cigarettes. I haven't felt this good since I was 18.
  • YukiValentine
    YukiValentine Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was called "muffin top" or whatever in high school.
    Other people called me ugly and that no one would ever date me.
    EDIT:
    Forgot to add, whenever I got into an argument and the person ran out of things to say or saw they were losing, they'd go straight away to make fun of how fat I am