rudest thing anyone has ever said about your weight?

Options

Replies

• AmelieMustLoseWeight
    AmelieMustLoseWeight Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    A pizza delivery guy asked me when I was due. I'm not even that overweight...I need to lose like 15 or 20 lbs at most...so it was really startling and out of the blue and SO OFFENSIVE!!

But, OP, what disturbs me most about your story is your boyfriend's lack of sensitivity in not coming to your defense. It's one thing if his brother doesn't, but your boyfriend should be your biggest source of support. I'm sorry he wasn't up to the challenge, and I hope that changes.

That pizza guy sounds like a complete idiot. I feel like he must of been high or something...

he claims he didn't understand what she was trying to say.

he said it went right over head. he never went to school with other people. hes been home schooled his whole life so he doesn't understand caty behavior.

:{ the husband knew what she was doing but he couldn't defend me because she accused him of liking me or something. idk she came to me once and told me i couldn't be friends with them because she was jealous of me and thought he husband and i had too much in common. it was stupid so i stopped talking to both of them. every time i see them its really awkward though.

OP, your boyfriend sounds like kind of a jerk.. based on the above and this:
    especially when i had a nervous breakdown the year before this happened because my S.O came out directly and told me he wasn't attracted to me anymore for gaining weight .

Because what she said was an obvious insult, so unless he's just completely oblivious to everything..

But then he's not attracted to you because you gain 40 lbs? I'm not saying that's nothing, but I mean, it's not like you doubled in size or anything..

yeah..he is completely oblivious... i know its dumb on my part but i spent the last 5 years helping him come out of his shell because unlike me he lived in a sheltered home where as I wasn't lucky to have parents that careful.

he said that because shes is obsessed with people's weights and being skinny that she didn't mean it as an insult but that she just has weight on the brain and that's why she said that. I know he honestly believed that too.. the more he saw her freak out over me the more he came to realized she is obsessed with me in a weird way and that she most likely did say it to embarrass me in front of her husband.
  • gajidas85
    gajidas85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    First I would have had them all stand next to each other then slapped them like a hand shaped train going by. They do not create a positive environment.

Not worst things said to me but the most eye opening when a little kid was like "geez you're fat". lol, I laugh because now I think "you little..." but at the moment it stung. Mostly because kids don't have that "polite" filter, neither do some adults, and they said what they saw and felt. Funny thing though their mom is also heavy, bigger than me actually.
  • them_and_me
    them_and_me Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Well, first of all, that's crazy because you're clearly gorgeous. She's obviously crazy jealous how incredibly awesome you are and is trying to find the one thing that you might be self conscious about to get at you. You should offer her some peanut butter to go with that jelly.

OMG I love that hahaha

Like I said I try to avoid her at all costs. Which sucks because my boyfriends family is very religious and different than me and my family so his brother was like the only one out of the family i knew liked me as a person. his mom and i fought so much because i was very secular and it freaked her out.

idk. I hate going to family events because i make it obvious that i dont want to be near her and everyone looks at me like im the *kitten*. No one knows half of the rude things shes said to me.

Well that's a treat [sarcasm]! I'm sorry you have to go through that, I can't begin to understand how that must feel. But I do know that her jabs at your are just to get under your skin. In a weird way.. sometimes I think it's kind of awesome that someone can only make fun of my weight.. it's so obvious and superficial. I must rock at life otherwise if that's all ya got!
  • exterminatingmyfat
    Options
    My mom is the source for any and ALL of the rude comments I have ever gotten.
    "You'd be so pretty if you lost some weight."
    "You looked so pretty back then...what happened?" (Again, talking about me gaining weight)
    "You're never going to get a boyfriend"
    And then various comments of parts of my body that are too big. Also she will look me up and down and make this horrible disapproving noise.
  • White_n_Nerdy
    White_n_Nerdy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Jeeze, people can be so rude! We can't all be born with amazingly fast metabolisms!

Most people don't make comments about my weight to my face, because people who know me know that I don't take that from people. Still, there were two times that really got to me.

The first was at a get-together with a few people I knew from high school. They were aware that I had gained weight recently and was trying to lose it (I went from being a 3-sport athlete to a 1-sport athlete, was diagnosed with asthma, and had that asthma progress pretty rapidly; I went from being able to play a fast-paced game of basketball to barely being able to run from home to second). Anyways, we were all hanging out and my friend had brought these AMAZING cookie dough brownies that she knew were my favorite. So, obviously, I went to grab one. One of the people stopped me and said "Maybe that's why you gained all that weight, eating too many of those brownies." They were kidding (I think) but it still stung.

The other was more recently. I have been at this dieting/working out thing for about 2 years, and I've lost a whopping .8 lbs. I'm trying, but not seeing a lot of results. So I bumped into someone I hadn't seen in awhile and they asked me why I gave up on dieting and working out.

People just say things and don't think them through. Just remember that this is a choice for YOU. Whether you started at the top of the scale or the bottom, you're here because you want to be healthier. Don't let anyone tell you that you aren't beautiful, handsome, smart, athletic, attractive, etc. just because someone thinks you don't weigh the "right" amount.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've had all sorts. My dad tells me when I'm looking 'bloated'. To be fair, I know he's trying to help me and give me motivation. He knows I'm trying, and tells me when I'm looking good too.

I've had people yell 'fatty', 'fat b!tch', 'fat c*nt', 'fat b@stard' either walking down the street or when I'm out cycling and they pass by in their cars.

The doctors are great at insulting people like me. You go to them for help, and because I don't smoke or drink, they target my weight without providing any diet sheets, help leaflets or anything to back up what they're saying. The last doctor was most definitely not within the correct BMI range himself.

People are awesome...
  • pennmimi
    pennmimi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think the worst was when I was grocery shopping and happened to be walking down the baking aisle and a girl turned to her friend and pointed me out saying that 'that is exactly why we need to get out of this aisle'. Apparently whatever her friend wanted out of the baking aisle would make her look like me. Completely idiotic. I guess some individuals think people who are overweight just eat cake and cookies all day.

I can relate to how that girl has tried to put you down...Guaranteed she is insecure and taking it out on you to make herself feel better. My aunt used to do the same with my cousin and I. She'd put me down about my weight saying my mom got the 'smart' (but fat) daughter, and she got the 'pretty' one. She was so insecure about my cousin 'not being as smart' or not going as far in school that she constantly tried to find a fault with me and that was always my weight. I finally realized how ridiculous she was and what a waste of time it was to even entertain her crap.

Don't let that little idiot push all her negativity and feelings of insecurity off on you. And I seriously hope your bf wakes up soon and realizes that kind of behavior (his and hers) is totally unacceptable
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I've had people comment on my weight my whole life. From flat out hurtful to joking-but-stings-anyway. I've learned to let it slide and not affect me anymore.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I feel like different cultures have a very different perception about what's rude and what's not. For instance I travel to Thailand a fair bit and people there will just straight out call you fat. That was quite offensive to me for a while, then I accepted it and used it as motivation.

The average American (US) is absolutely not equipped to deal with some of the cultural bluntness present in so many other kinds of people, particularly when it comes to being fat.

A lot of other people do not, and never will, have any sensitivity around fat. They'll call it like they see it. Hell that's also prevalent amongst a lot of OLDER Americans.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Coming from 363.4 lbs, I have plenty of these to list...

1) "I don't think that chair will hold you."

2) "Yay! He moved!"

3) "Let me get you our seatbelt extender."

4) "Can you still tie your shoes?"

5) "Getting a neck rest?"

Those are the ones I can think of off-hand. But looking back, I'm glad they said them since I was simply unable to see myself like the world saw me, a mouth-breathing, sweaty, oily guy who took up plenty of space. It's amazing how our realities are defined by the way we see things, which just isn't how everyone else sees things.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I work with a woman who is almost a foot taller than me (I'm only 5' 0"), and much larger than I am. She was constantly bring her old clothes to me and telling me that they were "too big for me, but they might fit you." Because I can sew, I took them home, but the alterations were so extensive that I ended up throwing most of them away. We had a conflict at work and now she doesn't do it anymore. Now she doesn't even speak to me!
  • tl_dr
    tl_dr Posts: 96
    Options
    Once in high school, my best girl friend at the time announced in front of the entire class that I was "the one that could make good grades without studying" but that it was fine with her because she was "the one that could eat whatever she wanted and not get fat". It was the kind of thing that we joked a lot about one-on-one, but it make me feel pretty cruddy when she said it in front of thirty people.

They all gave her lip for it though, so it's cool. :glasses: I think in the end she was more embarrassed than me.

Oh, and then there was the time my coworker tried to console me after I told her that I suffered from chronic back pain by saying "Oh, I know how you feel! I had big boobs when I was fat, too." (She later told me that her "fat" weight was in the low 140's. :noway: )

Haha, and my baby sister walked in on me once when I was taking a shower... She pointed at my chest and said "EW! I NEVER want THOSE!" But I was able to laugh about that one after a light swat to the back of her head. She's notorious for being a little too honest. :laugh:

I guess I'm lucky that these are the worst I've got!
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    inquiring about someones due date is always risky when you dont know if they are actually pregnant. just dont do it people!! lol
  • EmilyL128
    EmilyL128 Posts: 38
    Options
    I've had people ask if I am "expecting", and another person just flat out say to me "good luck with the baby!"

One time that completely caught me off guard was when I was walking from the train station to the street and a young man and woman walked past me up to the station. As they passed the guy excaimed, "Look! It's a fattie!" to the woman. It took me a second to realise he meant me and I had already passed them when it hit me. I mean, isn't that a little juvenile? I'm sure they were in their early twenties, and that's the kind of behaviour you'd expect from kids and early teens. I wasn't sure whether to laugh at his immaturity or cry from the humiliation of being someone's idea of a joke.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I have been overweight all my life. I am 5'4", and weighed 143 in 5th grade (may have been a little shorter then), 173 in 7th grade, and my all time high was 218 at age 36. Surprisingly and luckily, the only voice berating me for being fat was my own.

Except for this one time when I was, I don't know...in 8th or 9th grade, and my (skinny) sister's high school boyfriend pulled me aside and said, "Hey, I just wanted to tell you this because it might help you, and maybe you just don't know it, but you're fat. You're a nice and pretty girl, and I don't know, maybe you are just not aware of it, but you really need to lose weight." I was down to about 155 at that point, so YES, I was aware, and yes I had lost SOME weight anyways. It stung that he had said that. I knew I was fat but nobody had ever just point blank said it to my face. I told my sister later what he said, and she was like, he's just a jerk, and broke up with him. :laugh:

Even though I was always 'fat', I was never short of having great friends and a supportive family. :heart:

Amelie, you deserve to surround yourself with people that love you, and will defend you no matter what. And next time she says something out of line, don't be afraid to defend yourself if nobody else will. If she knows you aren't going to take her crap anymore, she might just shut her mouth. Till now, you've been an easy target. She needs to be called out. Since she is going to a 'bible'? school, ask her if she thinks Jesus loves the fatties too. I'd love to see and hear her and his 'religious' family's answer to that one. Seriously, what people say they are, and what they really are, really often don't match up.
  • Aggeon
    Aggeon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a 'loose' neck, so it comes down from my chin instead of along my jaw. There was a time in high school where I had started playing soccer and lost some weight. I was feeling good about being down to a size 10, but a guy in my class came up to me one day and told me I had a chicken neck, and actually reached for me and tried to jiggle it! I remember feeling so numb from it, I couldn't even be sad because it shocked me so much that someone would do that. 3 years later we were both on the same rugby team though, so I got him back. :laugh:
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Amelie, you deserve to surround yourself with people that love you, and will defend you no matter what. And next time she says something out of line, don't be afraid to defend yourself if nobody else will. If she knows you aren't going to take her crap anymore, she might just shut her mouth. Till now, you've been an easy target. She needs to be called out. Since she is going to a 'bible'? school, ask her if she thinks Jesus loves the fatties too. I'd love to see and hear her and his 'religious' family's answer to that one. Seriously, what people say they are, and what they really are, really often don't match up.

i agree with this. people will just keep going if you dont defend yourself, but if they get called out and stood up to they wont dare insult you anymore.
  • carinthea
    carinthea Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I feel ever so self-conscious when I go to the swimming pool and at my gym (around the pool) there are these wooden recliners, I purposely won't sit on them for fear that they will collapse, purely because I was at my sister's one summer, sat in one of her reclining chairs and it promptly broke under me. I know that I am large but the chair was faulty (there was truly a knot in the wood right where it should be strongest)...my sister didn't say anything but my mum told the children "That's why you need to exercise, so you won't get fat like your auntie." The comment really stung, and unfortunately now they constantly (even 5/6 years later) go on about how fat I am and that I shouldn't sit on their nice chairs because I am "SO FAT you might break one". Coming from family that's really hurtful, more so than it would be from a complete stranger in my mind.
  • fheppy
    fheppy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think it doesn't matter if you are educated or not in the first place. manner is not related to education, unfortunately. I recently travelled to Egypt and in some cases uneducated people were nicer to me than educated ones in the UK... other cases i found them rude but then i modified my manner to match that rudeness and i did not mind being harsh and raw and honestly rather surprisingly i got on with them very well and i had much less problems afterwards.

it is a cultural thing and depending where you are coming from, you will find different things rude.

another example the other day the tutor interrupted a girl presenting at the board because her time was up but she just kept talking and the tutor politely said "I apologize but I have to interrupt you because your time is up" - as you see it was polite and kind, any European, would understand and would never perceive it as rude. however, this girl is originally from China, she got shocked and angry and she said "You are indeed very rude to interrupt me when i am not finished" and did not want to understand that she can't continue and would not be fair as it was a timed competition and would not be fair for the other students.

having said that, i think people when they move to another country they carry their culture with themselves. like in london, there are many Indians and Chinese and Polish and they actually live like in their own country, or look around, their food is everywhere, loads of Indian, Chinese restaurants... they eat their food, not English. and suppose they eat English food, it won't make them English. so i think in the OP's case, a child of 5 is heavily influenced by parents and they were not Canadians, they were Romanians.
    I also think in many instances you can not know things like origin about people and you have to work with what they say. i think being honestly angry is acceptable if someone is saying something rude, whether it is your weight or something else you just tell them what you think. it is a 'western thing' you hide your feelings when you are hurt. there is no need to be so nice.
    sorry about being off topic.
  • marjushkamarusya
    Options
    Maybe she envies you. Not all europeans are so mean. Back in school a boy I really like told me I was funny and smart and he'd date me if only i'd not be that ugly! Not sure what happened with him now