Small women: where do you shop?!?

Options

Replies

• Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Athleta and Title 9, both mostly athletic clothing brands, also often have very nice dresses and casualish workwear. Athleta sizes go down pretty far (I think to 00/XXS, sometimes smaller), and while Title 9 sizing seems to vary depending on what the garments are made for, they also carry pretty small sizes.

Also, Garnet Hill and Boden, higher-end ready-to-wear catalogs, carry very nice clothing. ETA: I just went and looked at Garnet Hill's stuff and apparently I, with (currently) 26.5" waist and 36.5" hips, would be in between a size 2 and 4 and the sizing only goes down to 0. . . for regular and tall clothes. Their petite sizing goes down further. Boden, on the other hand, does not seem to have succumbed to vanity sizing, so you might have good luck with them-- their clothes sure are interesting and beautiful! I think price- and quality-wise they are similar to Banana Republic. I remember trying on a silk Garnet Hill dress I randomly came upon in a second-hand shop, in a size 6 (when I was closer to a size 8) and found it a lot smaller than other size 6 things I've tried.

I'm another person for ModCloth-- though their sizes sometimes stop at Small.

Second-hand clothing stores-- nice ones with high standards and good turnover, as one sometimes finds on busy streets in larger towns or cities-- are great and often do have pretty small clothing but it does take time to shop in them as everything is one-of-a-kind.
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Also curious about Victoria's Secret panties because I take a Medium in some styles, Large in others, and I wear size 14 jeans. Not sure what in the world very small ladies do for underwear...hehe

Aerie XS undies are great and cheap. :wink:
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Karen Millan and Ted Baker come up pretty small. Nice predicament u have found urself in!
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I'm freaking out a little bit bc I have several events to attend this spring/summer and I cannot find a dress that fits and is affordable. Vanity sizing has royally screwed me. I have dresses that are size 2 from 8+ years ago that fit like a glove and when I go in the same stores (Ann Taylor, JCrew, etc) now the size 0s are too big! I'm 32 years old, 5'3 and 119 lbs. I'm certainly not the skinniest woman around, so where are you finding clothes that fit you?! I'm finding that expensive designer clothes use the traditional sizes , but I can't afford them. Please help!

I'm 26, 5'4", and bounce around 125 lbs. I'm usually a size 4 or 6. But just so you know, Ann Taylor's sizes run HUGE. I'm a 0 at Ann Taylor. Which is ridiculous because with my 37" hips....I should NOT be a size 0 ANYWHERE! :laugh:

Someone suggested checking out the stores that cater to younger women. I think that would be a good idea for you. You're still young yourself, so you can totally get away with shopping at the stores that target women in their 20s. I can tell you that H&M's sizes definitely run a little smaller, for instance.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I'm about your size, and I wear size 0 pants at Gap and Banan Republic, sometimes ON; and XS tops. I got a great fitting pair of jeans at JCPenney, junior size 3 Angels brand. The only dress I own is from Target. It is so cute, with a little Peter Pan collar and flared skirt. Its a junior size small, but all the other dresses that fit were junior XS.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    At 120 lbs, I find it difficult to even know my size anymore. Women's sizes seem to vary WAY too much. I have a shirt that is a small and too big on me! Yet, another shirt I have is a medium and a perfect fit. Still, the x-small I have fits snugly, too. Pants? At one store, I'm an 8. At another, I'm a 5. I gave up trying to guess my size. I just shop where I can, and buy whatever looks like it MIGHT fit. Have you tried looking around at stores like Ross? They have a variety of brands, so naturally, a variety of sizes. One pair of size 0 jeans may fit you, another may not. At Ross, you never know. I find it easier to shop there, as you have the variety in one store. You don't have to bounce around from Forever 21 to JC Penny just to find that 'perfect fit'.

Also, sometimes, I shop in the teen sections. I'm about a medium to an X large in teen clothes. Easier to find fits for me there.

If it's any consolation, it's hard to find women's clothes that fit at many sizes. Because of how much they vary. Men's clothes have always been far easier for me to find. I am an x-small in men's shirts. I say that with confidence, because no matter where I shop... x-small in men's will fit me.
  • babsabs2011
    babsabs2011 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your personal style and what you are looking for. I'm 5'3 and 123 at the moment and usually shop the petites section at Ann Taylor Loft (I can wear non-petite sizes there too, but petite dresses fit me a LOT better). I also like New York and Company!
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I can tell you from personal experience that White House Black Market runs on the smaller side. I don't remember if they sell petite but I understand the trouble. While I am not exactly thin, I still need petite sizes since I'm only 5'1".
  • SeaTurtleJenni
    SeaTurtleJenni Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'2" and it is definitely easier to find things now that I am heavier than when I was skinny. Sticking to junior sizes (odd sizes) helps. I frequently find clothes at Ann Taylor loft. Also, you can actually find Ann Taylor and other name brand clothing at thrift stores for a steal and then put your money into tailoring them. I have several Ann Taylor pieces that still had tags on them that I bought at second hand stores for around $6.
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I hear that. I still shop juniors! I'm 32 but I just can't wear women's sizes especially jeans and dresses. They don't fit right. I'm 5'2 120 lbs so it's not like I'm even that skinny but the smallest size women's clothes are still too big most of the time. I do feel a little weird going in stores like forever 21 but who cares? The clothes fit and they're CHEAP!
  • fulcrumum
    Options
    When you find some stores let me know! Lol I am 5'1 and I have a hard time find petite shirts that are my style, but the jeans...I have super long lets so that poses a problem for me as well. Normally I'll find some from the juniors section or go online to inexpensive boutiques like Sexymodest.com, whiteplum etc and hem them myself.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I hear that. I still shop juniors! I'm 32 but I just can't wear women's sizes especially jeans and dresses. They don't fit right. I'm 5'2 120 lbs so it's not like I'm even that skinny but the smallest size women's clothes are still too big most of the time. I do feel a little weird going in stores like forever 21 but who cares? The clothes fit and they're CHEAP!

Your idea of skinny and mine are are obviously different! LOL I'd love to have your body, keep up the great work fellow shorty!
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    i am 5'8" and 113 lbs
    thank god i live in Asia, everyone is skinny here so there are smaller numbers. when i am in Europe or one time i went to US it was so hard for me to find the right size of anything. Jeans that fit my hips are usually made for shorter women and they turned out too short :(
  • pugsleyjean
    pugsleyjean Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm 31years old, 5'2" and 122-125lbs and I always shop at Maurices or they also have online at maurices.com Their size 0 has gotten too big for me so I have started purchasing small/xtra short pants. They fit perfect to my body and the length is perfect for how short I am. My tops have gone from an XL to M in 2 years, thankfully I didnt loose all of my girls when I lost my weight. LOL. I did find a dress the other day at Target in a Medium that fit pretty nice but usually don't end up with that kind of luck from Target.
    Thankfully I can still shop in juniors and not end up dressing/looking like a 14 year old when I make my purchases. I can find some pretty decent things and the prices are so much cheaper.
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Modcloth.com has some really cute and affordable dresses. Just check the sizing measurements before you order. They also will put if it runs true to size or if the sizing runs larger or smaller. It is really easy to order and do returns with, if you need to.

Never tried it. Great idea! I shop @ banana republic size 00 for pants mainly with alterations, sizes are so freakn weird and most of the time they don't make sense. HM sizes are smaller, size 2 fit but tight. I am 5'1 and 109.8 but my bottom and thighs are bigger. Hoping to nail the last 10 pounds I gained.
  • napson
    napson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    thank you!!!!!!
  • dreams4sale
    Options
    I'm freaking out a little bit bc I have several events to attend this spring/summer and I cannot find a dress that fits and is affordable. Vanity sizing has royally screwed me. I have dresses that are size 2 from 8+ years ago that fit like a glove and when I go in the same stores (Ann Taylor, JCrew, etc) now the size 0s are too big! I'm 32 years old, 5'3 and 119 lbs. I'm certainly not the skinniest woman around, so where are you finding clothes that fit you?! I'm finding that expensive designer clothes use the traditional sizes , but I can't afford them. Please help!

At 5'3" and 119 you should have no problem. At 5'5" and 123 I could fit into lots of clothing. Where are you shopping? I wear a 4 at Ann Taylor loft and most other brands.

I'm 5'5" and 118 and I have a problem finding clothes. Even Hollister pants are getting a bit big. Always too baggy in weird areas. But I don't think I'm short enough to fit into petites.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    poor you!
  • maskedbelleza
    maskedbelleza Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You could try Dynamite.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    poor you!