How much protein per day

Options
Hey guys, for workout how much protein do you need per day? I don't know about this lbs and rmr thing, sorry for the noob question. Thanks before

Replies

• ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    .6-.8g per lb of body weight will suffice.

How do you know which end of this range is right for you? I have been following the 1g/lb of lean body mass approach (which falls in the middle of this range) but meeting it is a struggle every day! Is .6 enough during loss to keep me from losing muscle?
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I'm going to need you to be more specific about your goals and what kind of exercise you're doing.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    You don't need a whole lot. Your muscle cells run on glucose, and so does your brain. The amount of protein found in plant food, like fruit and greens, is enough for most people. You only need protein to repair, not fuel yourself, which is a very common misconception. About 3%-9% of your total caloric intake should come from protein, and that just so happens to be exactly how much is in most plant food.
  • ItsCasey
    Options
    You don't need a whole lot. Your muscle cells run on glucose, and so does your brain. The amount of protein found in plant food, like fruit and greens, is enough for most people. You only need protein to repair, not fuel yourself, which is a very common misconception. About 3%-9% of your total caloric intake should come from protein, and that just so happens to be exactly how much is in most plant food.

Justin-Bartha.gif
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options

How do you know which end of this range is right for you? I have been following the 1g/lb of lean body mass approach (which falls in the middle of this range) but meeting it is a struggle every day! Is .6 enough during loss to keep me from losing muscle?

Most of the studies that I've read with these ranges involve athletes. Personally I wouldn't go under .45 grams per pound while maintaining. Last year I believe there was a study of .6 grams per pound in a deficit maintaining lean body mass. In theory the higher may add muscle but, outside of muscle biopsies who knows.

Real science has provided sufficient data to support these assertions regardless of how vocal and adamant some individuals may be in furthering their distorted belief systems.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

As another poster said, we need more information. What are your goals? Contrary to this poster, it does matter what your goals are. There may be enough protein in plants for the quoted poster but I know people that tried this route and it came back and bit them big time. My niece tried this route and almost got hospitalized because of it.

I personally try and get 150+ grams of protein on the days I lift. On days I do not lift I still try and get over 100 grams. I think my goals are set at 35% of my daily intake. The days that my protein percentages are higher are also the days I feel fuller.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend 0.8 grams per 1lbs of body mass. You can, if you want, have up to 1.2
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Tried it, ended up with a hormone imbalance. Tried a VLCD, same thing. This girl needs, and gets 130-150 grams of protein a day, and it works like a charm. Not every body responds well to this type of diet, and in my experience (and talking to many others too), most bodies do not.

OP, to get any sort of good advice from the wonderful peeps on here, you'll have to give some more details about your workouts and goals.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I believe the minimum rda is .8 per kilogram of bodyweight. If you exercise (which you should be), it is probably a good idea to at the very least double that. If cutting, triple it.
  • J72FIT
    Options

Absolute nonsense. Stop posting this dribble. Your advice is going to hurt someone.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

This post is categorically and fundamentally wrong in pretty much every way.

The poster claiming this has lost, in my estimation based on before/after pictures he has posted, at least 20 lbs of muscle mass while losing weight specifically because of his incredibly low protein intake coupled with an apparent lack of resistance training. This means his body now has significantly more fat mass and less muscle mass than if he had followed more reasonable guidelines.

If you are losing weight, and want to lose fat instead of muscle, do not follow his advice and instead consume the evidence-based recommendation of 1 - 1.4 grams per pound of lean body mass:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24092765
    http://www.jissn.com/content/3/1/7
  • fightdem
    fightdem Posts: 38
    Options
    Sorry for the little information. I currently do only bodyweight strength training at home, and i don't go to gym. My long term target is athletic capabilities with a lot of explosive movement like to dunk. But i just started for a few months ago and i start with bodyweight exercise. I weight 65 kg (146 lbs), so i guess i need around 0.8 x 146 lbs = 116 g of protein. Thanks !
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Stop spreading vegan fruitasarus rex propaganda. If you want to try and convert more followers just walk door to door.
  • All_Out_Attack
    Options
    Keeping in mind that the OP is an 18 yr old male with, I'm assuming, no renal or other health problems... odds are you're not getting enough protein. Short of a dexa scan, you have no way of knowing what your "lean body mass" is. I eat/supplement a LOT of protein, and I have been losing weight despite being on increasingly more calories.

iifym.com can rough out some macro benchmarks to hit. Try it over a few weeks, see how your body reacts, and adjust as necessary.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

that's why in the whole course of human history and human pre-history, there's never been a single group of people who subsisted on gathering only, as opposed to hunting and gathering. And hunter-gatherers, or at least healthy, successful hunter-gatherers, get around 80g protein a day, mostly from animal sources. More than that in some ecosystems (e.g. the Arctic). Neanderthals got 100% of their protein from meat (molecular studies confirmed this); they ate vegetables too but this would have been for carbs and micronutrients.

even gorillas don't rely on plants for all their protein because they eat insects, a lot of insects, and insects are high in protein. Animal protein. And they're much better at digesting coarse vegetation like grass than humans are. In fact all the great apes are omnivores, and the two most closely related to humans (chimps and bonobos) eat mammals as well as insects. Cows and other ungulates can live off a plant only diet because they have four stomachs and can digest the cellulose in grass and other plants, which humans can't digest. Cellulose passes straight through the human digestive tract, and it's known as "fibre" which is necessary in the diet to avoid constipation etc but it provides no actual nutrition.

humans are omnivores and need more protein than you can get on a plant only diet, unless you happen to live in a part of the world where you can grow huge quantities of tofu or pulses and get your protein from them and have access to vitamin B12 suppelements, or live in a post-industrial society where you can have those kinds of foods imported to where you live and buy vitamin B12 supplements in your local shops.

If you want to live off plants, go ahead, but don't lie to yourself or other people about the nutritional needs of humans just to make it suit your decision to eat a plant only diet. Humans can be healthy on a plant only diet so long as they get all the same nutrients that an omnivore gets, which includes eating the same macronutrient profile that an omnivore gets, i.e. a lot more protein than the amount listed above.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Sorry for the little information. I currently do only bodyweight strength training at home, and i don't go to gym. My long term target is athletic capabilities with a lot of explosive movement like to dunk. But i just started for a few months ago and i start with bodyweight exercise. I weight 65 kg (146 lbs), so i guess i need around 0.8 x 146 lbs = 116 g of protein. Thanks !

I would look at that as a minimum...
  • ItsCasey
    Options
    Stop spreading vegan fruitasarus rex propaganda. If you want to try and convert more followers just walk door to door.

lol1.gif
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options

Exactly what this guy said. There's plenty of research (real research, not funded by controversial industry or terribly done control groups) that you can get the same muscle building as 1g/lb.
    And for all those trying to spread high protein/paleo/anti vegan whatever....ill laugh at you in 50 years. It had been proven that low protein diets can increase health and longevity.