How much protein per day

Options

Replies

• fightdem
    fightdem Posts: 38
    Options
    Sorry for the little information. I currently do only bodyweight strength training at home, and i don't go to gym. My long term target is athletic capabilities with a lot of explosive movement like to dunk. But i just started for a few months ago and i start with bodyweight exercise. I weight 65 kg (146 lbs), so i guess i need around 0.8 x 146 lbs = 116 g of protein. Thanks !

I would look at that as a minimum...

Actually i have a really hard time in getting enough protein even for the usual RDA 54 g. The source of protein i can get at the moment is tempeh, milk, egg, peanut, meat only on occasionally. Can you give me some meal examples of around 100+ g protein? Thanks
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    You don't need a whole lot. Your muscle cells run on glucose, and so does your brain. The amount of protein found in plant food, like fruit and greens, is enough for most people. You only need protein to repair, not fuel yourself, which is a very common misconception. About 3%-9% of your total caloric intake should come from protein, and that just so happens to be exactly how much is in most plant food.

This post is categorically and fundamentally wrong in pretty much every way.

The poster claiming this has lost, in my estimation based on before/after pictures he has posted, at least 20 lbs of muscle mass while losing weight specifically because of his incredibly low protein intake coupled with an apparent lack of resistance training. This means his body now has significantly more fat mass and less muscle mass than if he had followed more reasonable guidelines.

If you are losing weight, and want to lose fat instead of muscle, do not follow his advice and instead consume the evidence-based recommendation of 1 - 1.4 grams per pound of lean body mass:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24092765
    http://www.jissn.com/content/3/1/7

I agree with jonnythan based on visual observations of Rocbola's profile picture.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    .6-.8g per lb of body weight will suffice.

Exactly what this guy said. There's plenty of research (real research, not funded by controversial industry or terribly done control groups) that you can get the same muscle building as 1g/lb.
    And for all those trying to spread high protein/paleo/anti vegan whatever....ill laugh at you in 50 years. It had been proven that low protein diets can increase health and longevity.

I'll be dead in 50 years because of all the red meat, butter, and sugar I eat. But go ahead and laugh at a dead person if it makes you feel better.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options

Exactly what this guy said. There's plenty of research (real research, not funded by controversial industry or terribly done control groups) that you can get the same muscle building as 1g/lb.
    And for all those trying to spread high protein/paleo/anti vegan whatever....ill laugh at you in 50 years. It had been proven that low protein diets can increase health and longevity.

I'll be dead in 50 years because of all the red meat, butter, and sugar I eat. But go ahead and laugh at a dead person if it makes you feel better.

Actually that would make me feel better ;)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the little information. I currently do only bodyweight strength training at home, and i don't go to gym. My long term target is athletic capabilities with a lot of explosive movement like to dunk. But i just started for a few months ago and i start with bodyweight exercise. I weight 65 kg (146 lbs), so i guess i need around 0.8 x 146 lbs = 116 g of protein. Thanks !

I would look at that as a minimum...

Actually i have a really hard time in getting enough protein even for the usual RDA 54 g. The source of protein i can get at the moment is tempeh, milk, egg, peanut, meat only on occasionally. Can you give me some meal examples of around 100+ g protein? Thanks

Eat more meat, or use protein powder. How tall are you?
  • jonnythan
    Options

Muscle building and muscle preservation are very different things. You need significantly less protein while gaining weight than while losing weight.
  • fightdem
    Options

My height is 166 cm. Unfortunately i can't get meat everyday, and protein powder is kinda hard to get here.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

My height is 166 cm. Unfortunately i can't get meat everyday, and protein powder is kinda hard to get here.

Eat more milk and eggs then...
  • jonnythan
    Options

Drink a lot of milk then. At your height, weight, and age, you're primed to get strong and build muscle quickly. A lot of calories, a lot of protein, and a lot of training (but not too much).
  • lindastanley82
    lindastanley82 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    46 grams per day for women.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    nvm
  • SalemBoSox88
    Options
    I use one scoop and it has 30mg I also love my post BCAA workout.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    46 grams per day for women.

46? Regardless of height, weight, age, body composition, training, and goals? OK then.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I applaud you for at least admitting that stuff compromises your health. There are too many on this site who think that stuff is health promoting...
  • samyadas
    samyadas Posts: 9
    Options
    http://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-do-i-need-every-day.html

pretty good guide. I stick to 1g/lb of LBM when maintaining or gaining mass, and bump it to 1.25-1.5g/lb LBM when dieting, depending on the amount of deficit.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I applaud you for at least admitting that stuff compromises your health. There are too many on this site who think that stuff is health promoting...
    Yes, because minimal protein intake, B12 deficiency, the absence of animal fats and subpar calcium consumption are all fantastic bases for long term health.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt...
  • fightdem
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone, cheers !
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I spoke with a nutritionist who said .6-.8 per kilogram of LEAN bodyweight is ideal (as others have been saying in this thread). I want to stress the distinction between actual weight and lean body weight though, You should calculate what percentage of your body isn't fat and use that as your multiplier...there are calculators online that can help you do this!