If you were a soda drinker,

Options

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    "Were"? The only way you will get my Diet Mt Dew is to pry it out of my chubby fingers! coldcaffeine.gif
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I try to get all my water in first. Then I allow myself soda or coffee or whatever if there's still time in the day. I was off soda once for about 6 months. When I started back the carbonation gave me heart burn so awfully that I didn't enjoy it. I can't tell you why I pushed through that particular barrier...:laugh: but if you're off for a while, it's unpleasant to go back. In the mean time, there are probably certain foods that you equate in your mind with drinking soda. Avoid those. Good luck!
  • cmo115
    cmo115 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey over 7 years ago when I was just 14. I was addicted to Dr. Pepper. I don't know how I did it looking back...I just know I was a teenage girl who was sick of being fat! I quit and I never looked back. SOmetimes I have dreams that I gave in and had a Dr. Pepper...but I am 7 years strong without any kind of pop. I want one so bad some days...and often times I am in places such as with friends and there is nothing else...but I just do without.
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I was a diet coke drinker and never realised how much I drank until I stopped. I have no magic words of wisdom just that the first couple of days are hard but it is worth it when you manage to get off the wicked stuff - I'm diet coke free for 3 months I think - stopped counting so that's a good sign
  • akula1
    Options
    I have been a Diet Pepsi addict for over thirty year. I would drink a pot of coffee in the morning, and about 4 liters of Diet Pepsi a day. I quit it about 3 months ago when i first started watching my calories and upping my workouts. A few things I have noticed. I sleep more sound at night. I don't have to get up to use the bathroom as often (from 3-4 times) a night, and I have lost more weight because less chemicals in me. I still drink a cup about once every two weeks or so.

I've lost 6 inches off my waist, and 31lbs in 90 days. I have 25lbs to go. Soda was a big contributor to not being able to lose as much as fast as I wanted even though it was diet soda.

God Bless, and good luck, if I can do it, anyone can.
    Merry Christmas
  • JakeNonne
    JakeNonne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I was a die-hard Coca-Cola drinker, too, since I was a kid. But I didn't stop until I:
    - read about the harmful effects of soda like the earlier post;
    - watched Food, Inc. which shows how harmful soda's main ingredient (high-fructose corn syrup) is to a person's health;
    - learned that drinking soda add 15 lbs of fat per year;
    - committed to drinking 8 cups of water per day. I didn't have time to drink anything else!

I recommend starting with the premise that "soda is detrimental to my health" then read everything you can to support this thought. And start drinking 8 cups of water a day. You'll be glad you did.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I was a Pepsi girl. Seriously I'm talking easy one or two 2 Liter bottles a day. Then I started on MFP, my hubby bought me a big water bottle and I just started keeping that filled (adding lemon or orange wedges sometimes for flavor) at all times and carrying it with me everywhere. I also gave my mom the last bottles of soda that we DID have on hand so I wouldn't be tempted. It was really hard in the beginning, but now I found that if I am out I can get a Sprite (my 2nd fave) or even a Pepsi and it doesn't pull me back in. BUT... it took me 2 months to get to that point.

Good Luck.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a ridiculous amount of Coke, too. But, I found that I was actually addicted to the carbonation - when I gave it up I would drink carbonated flavored water if I just HAD to have something, calorie & sugar free so no guilt.

I don't crave it anymore - I will sometimes have spirte or 7-up if I'm at a party or someones house but I never have dark sodas anymore.
  • kacylaine
    kacylaine Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    "Were"? The only way you will get my Diet Mt Dew is to pry it out of my chubby fingers! coldcaffeine.gif

Haha! Me too! I'll have a Diet Dew 24 pack buried with me. Just in case!

I do have a new rule though...I make myself wait until I have had my 8 cups of water before I can have a soda. My problem was that diet sodas were the ONLY liquids I was drinking. :ohwell: Terrible I know! Now, I'm down to 1 or 2 a day. Still not kicked the habit, but I've kicked so many other much, much worse habits that I'm ok with it!
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I like Izzes. They are basically fruit juice and sparkling water, all natural, no added sugars. They give me the fizz I need.

Sometimes, though, like you I crave Coke. There's just something about it. When those hit, I allow myself a coke, but I try to get the small cans or the ones with natural sugar in them. Also, I have found that I like coke zero as well. At first, I was having about 1-2 a week, now I'm down to even less than that. It's a treat, and I treat it that way.

Good luck, it's a hard one to give up!
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I drank a ridiculous amount of coke throughout my childhood, teenhood and throughout my twenties. During my late teens it was really bad because my neighbour had a soda machine and I lived over there at that time. I would always be drinking coke there and then making more throughout the day. I should have paid their grocery bill for the amount of time I was over there and the amount of coke I drank alone. I'd also always have a 1L with me or buy a 2L for when I was home. I don't know what stopped me from drinking it really. I know that just before I turned 30 or so I listened to an Anthony Robbins audio book and that made me think about my health in a different way and I stopped smoking and stopped drinking coke and started becoming more active. I can't remember if I ever went back to drinking it though. I know when I would have a coke after that time though that I would feel like dog crap afterwards. I never realised how badly that **** screwed me up. When I have the odd drink now it's not so much that I don't like the taste because I still do but I don't like the after effects. I feel like I'm having a heart-attack almost and it gives me a mini panic attack.
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey when I began MFP in July. I drank 64oz of soda or coffee daily. I never drank water. Now, I drink 8-8 oz of water a day and two cups of coffee tops. We went to olivegarden a few days ago and I use to love there Italian soda's. I drank it...it was ok. I use to drink three with my meal. I ordered a water the next drink. I think over time with your dedication, you will not desire soda as much. When you do desire it, just stay under your calories.

We have so many things to watch when eatting and making ourselves better. The plastic on our meats hurt us...The restaurants put enough sodium in our food to kill us. We have to find and then maintain a balance.
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    17 years ago (or maybe 18 by now) I gave up soda cold turkey. I grew up drinking soda like it was water. My science teacher listed off a few things that carbonation did to the body. One of them was that it stole oxegyn from the body's cells. I have asthma so I decided I needed to give it up. I don't know if that's actually true, I've never heard it anywhere else. But it was the reason I gave it up and I couldn't care less if it's true or not. I did try some soda a few years later and didn't like how much it made me burp so decided that I would never have another one again. Now, I can't even stand the thought of it! I had to drink a carbonated drink for a medical test not too long ago and I almost threw up several times. That stinging feeling of carbonation is awful on my tongue!

Most people say that you shouldn't cut anything out of your diet if you don't want to. If you don't want to cut it out completely, then you should try setting a weekly (or some other time frame) goal for yourself and if you accomplish it, then reward yourself with a coke. That way you still get them, but you have to earn them. But if what you do want is to give them up completely, the easiest way for me is to do things cold turkey. If you go a month without one and you suddenly have another one, it's harder to stop yourself from having another, and another, as you've noticed. But if you don't allow yourself to drink one, then your system isn't shocked into craving overdrive periodically.

Good luck.
  • ironmule2042
    Options
    This is obviously not the case for a lot of people but my ex was a diabetic and that helped me. She was also allergic to artificial sugars so we didn't even keep diet sodas around. Pretty much cut off my supply for good.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda. I don't miss the real stuff at all.
  • treetz1979
    treetz1979 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Like many others, I had to ween myself.....I love (and still do) coke and mountain dew and drank way too much of it. I pretty much drank ZERO water and only pop.

Overtime, I switched to coke zero, diet coke with lime, or pepsi max. I know, still not the great for you, but I was at least getting my fix somewhat satisfied. Now, I only drink these after I drank and half of my daily water amount. And, yes, on rare occasions I still allow myself a real coke or mt dew every now and then.

My REAL problem is beer - I am not a wine or fruity drink drinker - I just like plain old beer usually - LOL! I am trying to convince my hubby I'll have to move into the heavy liquors in order for us to get rid of our beer gut :-)
  • jojogirl
    Options
    I was a die-hard Coca-Cola drinker, too, since I was a kid. But I didn't stop until I:
    - watched Food, Inc. which shows how harmful soda's main ingredient (high-fructose corn syrup) is to a person's health;
    - committed to drinking 8 cups of water per day. I didn't have time to drink anything else!

I recommend starting with the premise that "soda is detrimental to my health" then read everything you can to support this thought. And start drinking 8 cups of water a day. You'll be glad you did.

I also stopped for the same reasons, had a COCA COLA addiction since I was a kid...stopped cold turkey and now it's water and Canada Dry Lemon Lime Seltzer for me because I still like a little fizz when I eat dinner and of course water and tea.
  • imustdecrease
    Options
    zevia.com they have great sodas without all the junk. They have a cola also! You can also get it on Amazon.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda when my 12 year kept coming back from dentist appointments without a single cavity. She's not exactly diligent with brushing her teeth, but she has NEVER had soda of any kind. She hates carbonated drinks. So I figured that there was something to it.

Top 10 Reasons to Give Up Soda
    By Steve Edwards

10. Soda may cause cancer. According to a report in Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, consuming two or more soft drinks per week increased the risk of developing pancreatic cancer by nearly twofold compared to individuals who did not consume soft drinks. As reported, the study "followed 60,524 men and women in the Singapore Chinese Health Study for 14 years. During that time, there were 140 pancreatic cancer cases. Those who consumed two or more soft drinks per week (averaging five per week) had an 87 percent increased risk compared with individuals who did not."
    Then why, you're probably asking yourself, is this number ten on our list and why is soda even still on the shelf? Not that I'd challenge the ability of such large corporate power to hide such a thing but, in this case, the study slit its own throat. As one of the researchers noted, "soft drink consumption in Singapore was associated with several other adverse health behaviors such as smoking and red meat intake, which we can't accurately control for," meaning that we have no way of knowing, for sure, if soda was the culprit. Still, it doesn't hurt to know that when you drink soda it lumps you into a fairly unhealthy user group.1

9.It's not just about calories. Calories grab headlines, but recent science is showing that diet soda users are still in the crosshairs. A 2005 study by the University of Texas Health Science Center showed that there's a 41 percent increased risk of being obese—and a 65 percent increased risk of becoming overweight during the next 7 or 8 years—for every can of diet soda a person consumes in a day. Admittedly, this one should be higher on the list, but I wanted to make sure the article-skimming crowd knew the score up front: that diet sodas are very much a part of the problem.

8. It's the water . . . and a lot more. Okay, so that was a beer slogan, but soda is also made up mainly of water, and when you're slinging as much of it as they are, and you need to sling it cheap, sometimes you can't help but run into problems with your supply chain. In India, Coca-Cola® has found itself in hot water, and not the kind they thought they were purchasing rights to. Two of their factories have been closed, but one continues to run amok. According to a report in The Ecologist, "They accuse the company of over-extracting groundwater, lowering the water tables and leaving farmers and the local community unable to dig deep enough to get to vital water supplies."
    "Since the bottling plant was opened in 2000, water levels in the area have dropped six metres, and when a severe drought hit the region earlier this year the crops failed and livelihoods were destroyed."2

7. BPA: not just for water bottles anymore. Nalgene® and other water bottle companies took the heat when the dangers of bisphenol A (BPA) were made public a couple years back. While these companies went to great lengths to save their businesses, the soda companies somehow flew under the radar and continue to use it in their products. A recent Canadian study has found that BPA exists "in the vast majority" of the soft drinks tested. Most of these were under the national limits set for toxicity, but some were not. And remember how much soda the average person consumes, meaning odds are most soda consumers are at some risk.
    "Out of 72 drinks tested, 69 were found to contain BPA at levels below what Health Canada says is the safe upper limit. However, studies in peer-reviewed science journals have indicated that even at very low doses, BPA can increase breast and ovarian cancer cell growth and the growth of some prostate cancer cells in animals."3

6. Can convenience. As in the 1950s colloquial: can it. Speaking of the 1950s, those were the happy days when most of our soda was consumed at soda fountains, obesity was a term hardly anyone had heard of, and the most feared epidemic was one of atomically mutated insects taking over the world. Now instead of hoofing it down to the corner confectionery for one soda, we fill out trucks with pallets of shrink-wrapped cans or bottles and quaff the stuff by the six-pack. Not to mention how out of balance this ensures our diets will become, it wreaks havoc on the world around us. The bottled-water industry (which is mostly owned by the soda industry) famously uses 17 million barrels of oil a year, and the aluminum industry uses as much electricity as the entire continent of Africa. Not only that, aluminum mining accounts for a ton of toxic chemicals that is left behind for every ton of the metal produced.4

5. The Frankenfood factor. Whether you consume diet or regular soda, you're getting all of the genetically modified food you need and more, via high fructose corn syrup or aspartame. Both of these are under plenty of scientific as well as anecdotal scrutiny. Findings aren't pretty but, so far, this multibillion-dollar industry has kept these sweeteners on the shelves while alternative sweeteners meeting cost requirements are explored. Since it's almost impossible to read health headlines without finding one of these ingredients in some type of controversy, I'll just use one example:
    "The Center for Science in the Public Interest, a nutrition and food safety advocacy group, called on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to review the claims, which stem from research conducted by the European Ramazzini Foundation in Italy.
    The foundation reported that rats who consumed aspartame in exceedingly large quantities were more likely to develop cancer. CSPI executive director Michael Jacobson considers this an important finding that should not be overlooked."
    I know, there I go again with the cancer. But some people need to be shocked in order to take action. For me, seeing the Diet Coke® and Mentos® experiment was all I needed to swear off the stuff.

4. Foreign news cares how much soda we sell in our schools. How bad is your country's problem when the whole world is watching its daily actions? "Nearly one in three children and teenagers in the U.S. are overweight or obese and health experts say sugary drinks are part of the problem." Yep, bad. The world is well aware of the problems soda is causing and is looking to us to lead. And we certainly are trying. Are you with the program?
    "Under the voluntary guidelines, in place since 2006, full-calorie soft drinks were removed from school canteens and vending machines. Lighter drinks, including low-fat milk, diet sodas, juices, flavoured waters and teas were promoted in their place."

And, while great and all, it appears that no one got the memo about diet sodas.

3. Diet? Um, that's just like your opinion, man. When it comes to soda, treat the word "diet" as a slogan. A study at Boston University's School of Medicine linked diet soda with increased risk factors for heart disease and diabetes. To be more specific, the study "found adults who drink one or more sodas a day had about a 50 percent higher risk of metabolic syndrome," which is a cluster of risk factors such as excessive fat around the waist, low levels of "good" cholesterol, high blood pressure, and other symptoms that lead to heart disease and/or diabetes. And, for those of you only concerned about how you look in the mirror, "Those who drank one or more soft drinks a day had a 31 percent greater risk of becoming obese."

2. Soda outkills terrorists. A study out of the University of California, San Francisco, shows that soda has killed at least 6,000 Americans in the last decade.
    From ABC News: "The new analysis, presented Friday at the American Heart Association's 50th Annual Conference on Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology and Prevention, offers a picture of just how horrifying the damage done by excess consumption of sugary drinks can be.
    Using a computer model and data from the Framingham Heart Study, the Nurses Health Study and the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, researchers estimated that the escalating consumption between 1990 and 2000 of soda and sugar-sweetened beverages, which they abbreviated as 'SSBs,' led to 75,000 new cases of diabetes and 14,000 new cases of coronary heart disease.
    What's more, the burden of the diseases translated into a $300 million to $550 million increase in health care costs between 2000 and 2010."7

1. It's the "real thing" . . . not exactly. Should having the number one caloric source in the world come from something that's entirely manmade be a metaphor for a dying world? It doesn't have to be this way. After all, there's nothing in soda that we need. In fact, there's nothing in soda that even comes from the earth except caffeine, and that's optional. It's a mixture of altered water (injected with carbon dioxide gas), artificial flavors (yes, "natural flavor" is artificial), artificial color, and phosphoric acid, along with its sole caloric source that is a by-product of genetically modified corn production and offers virtually no nutritional value. It's about as real as The Thing.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/newsletters/nl_402.do
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options

Same here. Only, it was Mt Dew for me. I was a total biotch when I didn't have it too. I stopped cold turkey by doing the same things you did.