how do you maintain good hair

Options

Replies

• Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I cut it all off every 30 days or so, so it's always new hair.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I wash mine everyday. It's too fine to let it go longer than that (though I will let it go over weekends if we have no plans out of the house). I let it air dry when I can, but will use a hair dryer with a diffuser on the roots until they're just barely damp.

I've never colored my hair, I don't perm or curl it either. I use a volumizing shampoo (Dove or Panteen) with a moisterizing conditioner. It's always soft and silky.

I get a haircut every 4-5 years. I grow it out and donate it.
  • beccamh
    beccamh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I shower everyday but only wash/dry/heat style my hair 2 or 3 times per week. The other days I pull my hair back to keep the bulk of it dry and only wash/dry my bangs. After those showers I spray the roots with dry shampoo (I use Dove) and let it "soak in" over night. In the AM I just hit it with the blow dryer for 30 seconds and brush it out. Sometimes after my workout I convince myself that I will have to wash my hair becuase of how terrible it looks but I force myself to stick to the plan and 99% I wake up the next morning and it looks fine.

Since I cut back on washing my hair it looks 10x healthier.

Edit to add that the Costco brand shampoo/conditioner are amazing. Sultate free and the best I've ever used- I would definitely reccomend and becuse it's from Costco if it doesn't work for you I'm sure you could return it.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I shampoo and condition my hair every day and it looks great (I have shoulder-length hair). Mind you I always let it air dry and I only put a quarter-sized amount of gel in it. I rarely use a blowdryer, curling iron or straightener.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I gave up trying to have 'perfect' hair long ago. Up in a tight ponytail for workouts (keeps head cool and sweat out of hair), shake it out after. Wash 2 or 3 times a week. Mine is naturally curly, so it gets too dry if I shampoo all the time. And I don't use any heat on it, except to dry the roots.
  • AshleyMeggg
    AshleyMeggg Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Use a product that protects your hair from heat. I also use a protecting shampoo and conditioner. I fell in love with the Beauty Protector Ultimate Hair Protecting Trio from Birchbox. Its annoying because you can only buy it online though.

No matter what you do, do not go for cheap shampoos and conditioners. If you have no problems with your hair they're great, but when you have hair problems you have to splurge a little bit.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    OK, this may sound strange, but sometimes I don't wash my hair right after a workout (unless I'm totally drenched). I take my hairband off, lean forward, tousle my hair wildly and leave it at that. :bigsmile: My hair's not too long, and it's wavy, so I get a pretty good look, even if it's a little damp. At least I have that going for me. :laugh:
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Yes, go to Walgreens and by Agadir, it's about $20 bucks, you apply it to either wet or dry hair ends and just blowdry if wet. You only need about a dime size amount in your palm rub together and apply evenly. The stuff is awesome, smells wonderful and it's great on your hands too!! Mmmmm It was recommended by my hairdresser for the same reason!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I use dry shampoo and I don't wash every day.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Take a vitamin D supplement and only wash with shampoo every other day. On the day you don't wash just use a little conditioner on the ends.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I use to be a shampoo and conditioner snob paying a small fortune for a small bottle. But I switched to Suave Morrocan oil shampoo and conditioner and for 4 bucks it works better than the shampoo and conditioner I was paying $50 for.
  • blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I also use WEN. I have very thick, very curly hair, which is also very dry! I can use WEN every day and it doesn't strip my hair at all. I've been using the products for about 2 1/2 years now and I really like it. As to the cost, yes, it's more expensive than drugstore shampoo but I honestly do find that I use less of it so it lasts quite a long time. And no, I do not work for WEN!! LOL!!
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I don't use shampoo (well maybe once every 6-8 weeks), I use conditioner or just rinse, coconut oil is wonderful for some people, not for others. Also don't use shampoo to get it out after a soak, conditioner breaks it down a lot faster.

I don't use products on my hair and only use heat on it very sparingly. My hair is waist length and in very good condition without any magic lotions or potions.

Be aware though what is great for one person is awful for another, it's very much a case of trial/error over prolonged periods of time.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I have been using Neutrogena Triple Moisture shampoo & conditioner on my thick, wavy, frizzy hair. It helps quite a bit with the frizz, and some days I skip the conditioner because it is too heavy. I have never had that problem in my life! I also like the Aveeno Renew & Replenish. The conditioner is much lighter than the Neutogena, but the shampoo & conditioner are both sulfate free, so they are very gentle. For styling, I use Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum and air dry.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    My waist length, coloured, curly hair became a pest.
    It stopped me doing things because of the maintenance.
    So I changed my hair to suit my lifestyle!

And you are working thank hair, girl!!!
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I rinse my hair instead of shampooing it.

I have a "wet and wear" hairstyle.
  • morteetee
    Options
    I also use Wen. It is expensive but worth it! Good luck
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I workout 6X a week for >an hour. I sweat A LOT but my skin and hair tend to dryness; I don't seem to excrete a lot of oil. I only shampoo 1x per week. The other days I wear a shower cap and blow dry any perspiration out of the roots, or I rinse thoroughly with water and a good gentle conditioner only. Most hair types do not need shampoo that much.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I take a biotin supplement which is good for your hair, nails & skin.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Going bald makes it easy. :tongue: