Bread lovers: what is a good bread substitute?

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    True bread lovers know that there is no substitute.

You can work a moderate amount of bread into your goals and still have sandwiches and such. Also I like the Orowheat sandwich thins-- just 100 calories. Well, until I slather them with peanut butter anyway.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Lettuce.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    Homemade bread...

Seriously though. What is "too much" bread? Do you have a medical condition that makes you have to watch your carb intake or something?
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Toast ;)

Sorry... no substitutes
  • tgmichelleee
    tgmichelleee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone saying that you can eat bread (or any type of carbs for that matter) and still lose weight

However, I will say that I am one of those people that SUCK at moderation, so for me it's better for me not to have certain foods in the first place. That being said I now enjoy microwaved white potato and baked Garbanzo with a little olive oil and salt. They're still carbs, but they're very filling and a "replacement" to the bread and cereal that used to mindlessly eat. I don't crave breads that much anymore, but I still do have it with sandwiches etc

Edit: the baked garbanzo beans are crunchy on the outside and kind of softer on the inside and don't taste like normal beans, they're delicious if you're in the mood for something crunchy and makes great snacks! :)

Also I've heard people use tortilla wraps and pita bread as substitutes
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    put your meat between two buns when you feel like having a sandwich
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I use rice cakes to make open faced sandwiches. They're only 35 calories and I find them tasty.

The rice cakes I use are 29 cals each and make a great bread substitute.
  • ideang
    ideang Posts: 95
    Options
    I like Sarah Lee 45cal whole wheat bread. Antyime I'm avoiding bread, I put whatever I;d have on the sandwhich in a bed of lettuce. If it's a trukey burger or garden burger I get it "protein style" wrapped in lettuce!

This is the bread I eat now. I eat sandwiches for lunch a lot and always have the Sarah Lee 45cal bread on hand for it.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I use rice cakes to make open faced sandwiches. They're only 35 calories and I find them tasty.

The rice cakes I use are 29 cals each and make a great bread substitute.

liar.

OP, gather up your will power and just make bread fit into your day.
  • Nickih4619093
    Nickih4619093 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Make an Atkins MIM (muffin in a minute)
    In a mug or small glass bowl mix together;
    1/4 c flax meal or almond flour
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp oil
    Microwave for +/- 1.5 min.
    To that basic recipe you can add whatever you like before nuking.
    eg: chopped apple & cinnamon or parmesean, garlic & diced ham etc.
    Not quite bread, but a pretty good substitute!
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I like large romaine lettuce leaves used as wraps, small ezekiel bread sprouted grain tortillas (80 calories), and arnold's whole wheat sandwich thins (100 calories).
    Agree!! :smile:

I actually PREFER lettuce leaves as a "bun" for burgers (although I don't eat burgers anymore... have been choosing vegetarian lifestyle for the past several months - think I'm going to stick it with it for the long haul). But when I ate burgers, I would opt for lettuce wraps (although I'd do iceburg lettuce more than romaine or other kinds)... it adds this nice fresh crispness that is soooo much better than a bun.

Don't get me wrong - I love my bread, but I recommend TRYING lettuce wraps (not sure it would work on something cold though - just really liked it on burgers).
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Honestly?

There isn't one. If you like bread work it into your calorie deficit in reasonable amounts.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    try Ezekiel bread. it's made from sprouted grains, rather than ground flour. comes in various flavors. I love the cinnamon raisin myself. it's in the freezer section. pricier than regular bread, but definitely worth it.
  • jtjunkie
    jtjunkie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Bread, just less of it :smile:
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Just eat bread unless you have a medical reason for abstaining. Bread is delicious. I've lost over 30 pounds eating bread every day. Mmmm bread...
  • morteetee
    Options
    Hi - Alvarado Street Bakery flax seed bread is low calorie and low carb. Also, I swear by Popcorn Indiana's Fitcorn Sea Salt - 37 cal a cup and very satisfying. Good luck
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    iget Arnold whole wheat has about 100 calories a slice and fits into my macros for the day...
  • ssmaling
    ssmaling Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Bread.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I love bread, but it gives me killer heartburn, so I try to substitute different things. I like the low carb tortillas, or for little bites, I will put some meat or cheese between two cucumber rounds. It's not exactly the same, but it isn't bad.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    i second the arnold sandwich thins. They are great for sandwiches. Also try making a sandwich on matzos. The matzos are good for a crunch but alot of crumbs.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BREAD!

QFT , try the everything bagel thins !! omg , evil love!!

and Matzohs, if you can stop at 1(i can't so i dont buy them)