Am I the only one who does this?

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    The only way I'd ever think anything remotely bad of someone else is if they were truly dirty/smelly (and NOT just from sweating during the workout), or wearing dingy yellowed formerly white bras and panties that were visible. Period.

Im eternally grateful I havent seen this.. 0.o

lol I've seen it at the supermarket, unfortunately.
  • JessieNight
    JessieNight Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You know, out of reading this whole thread, all I can say is that I am really impressed by that girl on a bike in heels. Have you ever tried that? Now THAT'S prepping for the club. What a trooper.

HAHAHAHAHA yes.
  • ybmagpye
    ybmagpye Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sadly, you are just going to a crap gym. Ages ago, I went to a gym that was actually a pick up joint in disguise. I say, if you go to your gym to exercise, ignore the others and exercise. I'm currently going to a gym that is awesome. Everyone is there to exercise. There are no girls showing up as you described, busily posing in front of the mirrors, pretending to lift weights at my former gym. There are wonderful gyms out there. I love mine and I hope you find one like it some day. Meanwhile, ignore the divas and build yourself a body the others will secretly envy. Best of luck to you!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Every.single.person. who is on here telling OP not to judge is a hypocrite. Really? Never a single time in your life did you look at another person and make an assumption based purely on their looks? You deserve a special award if you can sit here to tell her "don't judge!" when I'm sure you do it every day and don't realize it. You may not be making a thread about it, but don't sit there and say "Don't judge, let's build each other up!"

That being said, I think OP knew the answer to this before even posting.

Now you are judging.
  • singmyheartout4you
    Options
    Sadly, you are just going to a crap gym. Ages ago, I went to a gym that was actually a pick up joint in disguise. I say, if you go to your gym to exercise, ignore the others and exercise. I'm currently going to a gym that is awesome. Everyone is there to exercise. There are no girls showing up as you described, busily posing in front of the mirrors, pretending to lift weights at my former gym. There are wonderful gyms out there. I love mine and I hope you find one like it some day. Meanwhile, ignore the divas and build yourself a body the others will secretly envy. Best of luck to you!

Thanks so much! :) where do you go if you dont mind me asking? I only ask because Im done with school soon and trying to find a good gym. Im thinking either golds or 10gym because my friends all recomend them.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    O.P. I think you could really do yourself a service if you could put aside your pride and realize that you really ARE judging them as well. You are assuming that because they are dressed nice that they are their to flirt and not Get.Stuff.Done. Maybe the girl on the bike with heels forgot to bring her gym shoes to school and instead of skipping her workout for the day she decided to get it done anyway.

Maybe they are giving you dirty looks. Maybe they really do have R.B.F. Maybe their dog died that morning. You have no idea what is going on in their head or in their lives.

Apparently they ARE making you feel insecure or you wouldn't have posted asking if you should dress nice too. You were hoping everyone would agree with you and therefor make you feel better. That didn't happen so now you are feeling defensive.

Recognizing when we are mistaken and trying to improve is a huge part of being a good person. Just try to be the better person and move on. Don't let them make you feel bad but also don't judge them in return.
  • Dedshot
    Dedshot Posts: 145
    Options
    Hey everyone! Hope your day is going well!

So here is my thing,I do a lot of home work outs, so when I actually go to the gym, I go there to Get.Stuff. Done. I don't go there to flirt or hang out, I go there to sweat. And a lot. The thing is, I go to the gym at my university and it's filled with girls with their hair done all nice and cute, make up on, and some cute matching outfit (Once I saw a girl on the bike in heels. No lie) and they glare at me for having the audacity to show up in a baggy shirt and shorts with my hair pulled back out of my way and either in a messy ponytail or braid.

So my question is, am I the only one who does this? Should I start dressing up? Are the days of showing up at the gym to work out over? I could really use some feedback that Im not alone in this lol Do you guys get this too?

Thanks!!
    -Rachael

My question is what's wrong with looking nice at the gym? as many of you seem to have asked already from my short glance through this thread. Being the minority in this situation doesn't somehow make it okay for you to judge these other girls.
    Do your own thing. Worry about yourself.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options

Love how you assume that looking in the mirror is "pretending". It's a lot easier to lift with mirrors around, you can make sure your form is correct. It's not a vanity thing.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Other than the perfume comment :sick: I don't really care what other people are doing.

There's one young woman who goes to my gym who has lovely curly hair pinned up, matching ensemble (and she's rarely wearing the same outfit twice) and generally looks better presented than me (admittedly this is not difficult), but she's extremely fit. She's quite heavily pregnant now and still working out and doing it better than most of us in there.

I also see no problem with people going there to meet someone, I get dressed up to pick up weirdos in bars, why should the gym be any different? At least you'll be guaranteed someone fit and into beefcaking, if that's what you're into too.

I used to go to a flashier gym and the only thing that really bothered me there was the fake tan marks in the steam room :sick:

I hate looking at myself in the mirror generally, but I do look to see what I'm doing when I'm lifiting weights. I laugh at the stupid expressions I'm pulling, and make sure I'm not stooping or wonky, rather than checking out my hot bod.
  • JulsiePie
    JulsiePie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Well, it took me a crap load of guts to walk into a gym a few weeks ago....I'm 150 pounds overweight and if it wasn't for my cute outfit, I probably wouldn't have been able to go in lol. Vanity? Yep. But when I see other girls there looking adorable in their matchy matchy outfits, it motivates me lol....

I will admit though, my first couple days I thought those girls were just there to have guys look at them.....and then I watched them. Holy. They were working. And those same girls who I thought were just there to get a guy were the same girls who I thought were judging me. I was wrong. They smile at me and not a condescending smile....it's an encouraging one!

OP - I'm glad I have a better experience at my gym, but keep in mind that sometimes it is all in how those are perceived :)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    People chill she was just asking a question. I really hate how these forums can get so biased and people call the OP out like they're a bad person for even posting it, such as "we'll you're on here judging them for what they do, aren't you in the wrong too?" or "if you're so busy why can you see them making glares at you?"

Shut the hell up. Everyone of us sees what others are doing in the gym anyway because there are mirrors all around us. If you dress cute, cool. No one is hating, and she wasn't either. We all go to the gym enough to know who is there to work and who isn't. That's who she was describing, the girls that put on make up just to go to the gym, not the ones coming in with old make up on from work or school.

Maybe she felt insecure about herself and came on here to ask what others thought since she did say, "Should I start dressing up?" So who are any of you to say she's in the wrong for judging people and making a forum about it?
    i put on make up just to go to the gym.

i do what i want.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    People chill she was just asking a question. I really hate how these forums can get so biased and people call the OP out like they're a bad person for even posting it, such as "we'll you're on here judging them for what they do, aren't you in the wrong too?" or "if you're so busy why can you see them making glares at you?"

Shut the hell up. Everyone of us sees what others are doing in the gym anyway because there are mirrors all around us. If you dress cute, cool. No one is hating, and she wasn't either. We all go to the gym enough to know who is there to work and who isn't. That's who she was describing, the girls that put on make up just to go to the gym, not the ones coming in with old make up on from work or school.

Maybe she felt insecure about herself and came on here to ask what others thought since she did say, "Should I start dressing up?" So who are any of you to say she's in the wrong for judging people and making a forum about it?

i do what i want.
    Me too!
    kiss-makeup-kenny-jones-radio.jpg
  • rayraex
    rayraex Posts: 50
    Options
    Who cares what anyone else there is wearing or doing? Wear what you want and do what you went there to do... Seems like you just started this post to trash those other girls...
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    Every.single.person. who is on here telling OP not to judge is a hypocrite. Really? Never a single time in your life did you look at another person and make an assumption based purely on their looks? You deserve a special award if you can sit here to tell her "don't judge!" when I'm sure you do it every day and don't realize it. You may not be making a thread about it, but don't sit there and say "Don't judge, let's build each other up!"

as much as people want to say they dont they really do. its not a bad thing. but everyone does it based on their own experiences.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

i do what i want.
    Me too!
    kiss-makeup-kenny-jones-radio.jpg
    LOLOL
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

as much as people want to say they dont they really do. its not a bad thing. but everyone does it based on their own experiences.

I don't think that saying a person shouldn't judge is the same as saying "I've never judged anyone in my life."
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Well, it took me a crap load of guts to walk into a gym a few weeks ago....I'm 150 pounds overweight and if it wasn't for my cute outfit, I probably wouldn't have been able to go in lol. Vanity? Yep.

OH girl I so get this.

When I was at my heaviest with about the same amount to lose, the iPod and cute matchy size 22/24 workout clothes bought from Lane Bryant (coordinating sneakers of course) were the only way I managed to get out there on the streets of my neighborhood walking every night. I could seriously credit this with my first 20 lb lost.
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't wear makeup in or out of the gym. that's just me. I workout hard. I sweat - a lot! and I'm usually blotchy red all over because of it. I'm a shorts and tank top kind of girl. and even though I didn't set out to pick anyone up at the gym, I met my man there, and we've been together 12 years now :love: I don't care what others wear or do as long as they don't hog a machine or bench, etc. and I find that usually the ones who are not serious about their workouts don't last very long anyway. but sometimes you notice things about people. it doesn't mean you are judging them, it just means you can't help but notice. but assuming things about those people is dangerous because we all know what assume does, don't we??
  • singmyheartout4you
    Options

Thank ya!
  • nicpare
    nicpare Posts: 15
    Options
    I wear yoga pants and tee shirts to work out in. I saw a girl this morning in really short/tight not athletic shorts--they had a button and zipper--like jeans. She looked really uncomfortable and out of place. At first I stated to judge her in my head, but then I realized she was looking around and was probably very insecure. If the majority of the people in your gym are dressing inappropriately for the gym, maybe you could talk to the manager and ask them if there is a "dress code". I go to Planet Fitness (which is big US chain of gyms with really cheap membership rates). They have rules about dressing appropriately for the gym posted on the wall. I don't think it's you---I think it's them...but keep in mind they are probably very insecure.