A little public shaming is in order!

Options

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options

I don't necessarily disagree with you but if that is the case then they should call that option bedridden or housebound. The description as it stands is "Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)" and I do, in fact, currently spend most of the day sitting.

Thanks for the link though, I will peruse it and adjust accordingly!

I totally agree with you. I also have a desk job so when I joined MFP, I selected that option and was given 1200 calories. Like hell I will eat that little bit of food. LOL! I read up on some other websites then read that article and made adjustments to my MFP settings which more accurately reflected my life.
  • Qpid_Mi
    Qpid_Mi Posts: 2
    Options
    I love that brave attitude! Way to go and not be afraid to put yourself out there, I commend you for that ! Applaud ... Now I just need to muster some of that courage too haha

Well here goes
    1. My friends and family calls me thunder thighs cause when I walk around the house everyone can hear me from afar because my thighs are huge lol

2. I'm always the biggest girl in my group so when someone from my group says they need to lose some weight, I feel disgusted about myself

3. I hate shopping with friends because I'm afraid to try on outfits with them and have them compare it to me

4. I feel totally uncomfortable with my bf because he's so slim it's make me feel masculine even around him

But it's okay because I know I can do it, just a little motivation or big shall I say lol
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Great sense of humor and that's a great start as you pursue a healther life. I agree with others who suggested you increase your calories initially and then gradually reduce as needed. The intial motivation may possbly be replaced with frustration if you begn to feel hungry or too deprived. You're in it for long term goals and MFP is a great resource. I was in a wheelchair for 3 years, not work ing, and not even able to do household chores. That is sedentary for sure.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You make me smile.. you rock already!! Can't wait to see you accomplish your goals!!
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    maybe a schnitzel... not quite a Neckwurst!

userimage-210284.JPG
    fat-head-funny.jpg
    a.baa-NOT-a-Floaty-Toy.jpg

All in good fun , GOOD NEWS is , neck/head fat usually thins out pretty quickly
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options

1. My body type is now that of the Goblin King from The Hobbit.

Not sure about the Hobbit; but David Bowie will forever be the Goblin King

tumblr_ma2w8vBXee1qbdycho1_500.gif

Seriously though, good luck and keep that sense of humor. It comes in handy when you can laugh at yourself :wink:
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    *bows to the soon-to-be-former Goblin King*

Keep that sense of humor, OP, you're gonna need it sometimes. :happy:

And as far as "sedentary", that's what I set *my* activity level for (also have a desk job). I then use my HRM and Fitbit to adjust my daily calorie goal for me. I've managed to lose over 100 pounds (20 or so before starting here) and have kept it off over two years that way. Give it a few weeks, and see if you need to reset it.

Best of luck!!!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I didn't look at your photos because....well because I'm lazy. But I did read your post and I appreciate the sense of humor you bring to this journey. You're going to need it. Motivation will only take you so far, and then you need to draw on determination. Being stubborn has served me well along the way. I didn't take before photos, and really wish I had. Little did I realize this was the time I was actually going to stick with it. I did keep the jeans & a shirt I got right before I started losing weight and try them on periodically just to remind myself how far I've come.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Sedentary is for people who don't exercise.

Currently I don't; which is why I picked that option. If that changes (which I hope it does) for any length of time I will update the tool.

Unless you are restricted to a bed or wheel chair then your setting should be at least "Lightly Active". This article will explain it much better.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I don't necessarily disagree with you but if that is the case then they should call that option bedridden or housebound. The description as it stands is "Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)" and I do, in fact, currently spend most of the day sitting.

Thanks for the link though, I will peruse it and adjust accordingly!

I'd say it's more an issue of setting yourself to lose two pounds per week than setting your activity to Sedentary. If you're going to aim for 1500-ish calories per day, be sure to eat back exercise calories (once you exercise). Otherwise, I imagine that you're going to feel miserable soon.

I did notice from your "normal day" that you drink a lot of calories. Simply cutting back on those calories will get you a long way toward your goal. I'd also recommend manually adjusting your macros so that you're getting in more protein. The MFP default is quite low.
  • Allisonfitness99
    Allisonfitness99 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!! :)
  • TRIX5884
    TRIX5884 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    ok "Goblin King" - you made my day! I just cracked up reading your post. it's awesome you are ready to start this journey. it's won't always be easy - but it will always be worth it! Kudos to you for taking your life in your own hands and taking control of it. You control your destiny with your body! I look forward to seeing your status in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (and so on) months down the road and seeing how far you've come!

P.S. - I'm sending you a friend request because you're sense of humor is absolutely kick *kitten*!
  • becksxxx70
    becksxxx70 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Dear 3 lil birds: Great fun and a good laugh this morning, but seriously... you have a way with words - you should start an MFP fitness journey blog.
    Seconded! :drinker:
  • cdez80421
    cdez80421 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I was expecting a lot worse... these aren't so bad, you just have to stay focused and you are going to rock this!!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Just as an "aside"....your daily goal seems a little low. I'm a 5'4" female with about 25lbs to lose and that's basically MY goal a day. May want to check your numbers. Just saying. :happy:

These were the defaults that MFP gave me with my goal of '2 pounds per week' and sedentary lifestyle. I have read in a starter post though that I may want to investigate this further and see what my true intake should be. Thanks for reminding me!

Bingo.

If you logged what was really a typical eating day, and that was about maintenance with whatever level of exercise you used to do, you merely need to eat less than that amount.

Forget MFP's estimate, unless you can change your activity level in Settings to cause their maintenance to equal what you were eating.

That is the best way. The vast majority have no idea what they used to eat, and therefore start at bare minimum and usually suffer some negative effects.

But you have ability to start top down now. Merely eating some less, and exercise some more.
  • shantz85
    shantz85 Posts: 41
    Options
    Very funny but love the confidence! You can do it!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sedentary is for people who don't exercise.

Currently I don't; which is why I picked that option. If that changes (which I hope it does) for any length of time I will update the tool.

Actually, they are wrong on that point.

MFP activity levels have nothing to do with exercise, but merely daily life. Sedentary is for desk job. If that's not you, then you are higher activity level even without exercise.

Exercise when done is added in later, which obviously increases your maintenance level for the day, and with the same deficit, also means you eat more for the day to keep it reasonable.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I find that fear is a great motivator! As such, since this is the first day of my lifestyle modification journey, I thought I would go ahead and upload my before pictures to my profile and post about them here. Things I have learned about myself through this photo essay:

1. My body type is now that of the Goblin King from The Hobbit.
    2. I am apparently smuggling a large bratwurst on the back of my neck/head.
    3. My head is now almost half the size of my torso!
    4. I have a larger cup size than two of my daughters.
    5. Things could be a lot worse!

Feel free to swing by and take a look! I've got pretty thick skin (obviously look at mah belly!) so leave a funny comment here if you want. I can use a good laugh today!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/photos/view/62689679

Your sense of humor is awesome! You must be my friend. No really, you must, now.
  • joannewi
    joannewi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! You have a great attitude...and that is half the battle:smile:
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I agree your goal seems a little low...and I bet if you just chucked the beer to begin with you would lose buttloads from that alone.

you got this.
  • ros2will3run
    ros2will3run Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    cuddly and fun!!

but hey..suppose we are all here to go to superhero fit!!