WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER

Options

Replies

• jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I am suppose to be off for the next 2 weeks, but I might end up back in the office for an hour or two for a big project that the program in charge put off until the last minute. The contractor they hired to do it is a real nice guy and so to not mess him up, I offered to go in for an hour or two to meet the contractor and transfer the database to him. I do the back end and he does the web interface.

DD has her enrollment meeting with the charter school she wants to go to at 1pm and DS has his social group at 4:15pm. DH took off to go visit his cousin before his mom gets here on Wednesday leaving it all to me. lol DH is going to do the baking when he gets back. He can't cook, but can bake and with 16 supposedly coming for Christmas I am glad he wants to do the baking.

Speaking of treadmills and water, I better get on the bike and drink some water myself.

Happy Monday!

Jeannie
    PS: On being cold - since woman's camisoles are SO expensive I broke down and bought a pack of Hanes Mens muscle shirts on sale at Walmart for $7.99. I got the colored ones and no one can tell the difference on them.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I get cheap camisoles at Old Navy. They aren't technically underwear but the kind of tops you wear under other tops and they still show a bit. They are for layering. But I use them as shapewear. But they have all different kinds including some with shelf bras, some that are much looser (more like a tank) and some in plainer colors too.

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=7524
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Welcome Rae! So glad you joined us

Talking about physical therapists "inflicting such pain", my MIL when she had a frozen shoulder would tell us that the p.t. was killing her. When Vince had the tibial plateau fracture and they came to give him pt in his room, do you know they closed the door to the room he was screaming so loud? But in the end, it really was for the best.

barbie - what kind of pedometer do you have? The one I have leaves a "bump" on my hip where the shirt meets the pants (did I explain myself correctly?). I'd really like to wear one -- more out of curiosity than anything else -- but I admit that I'm also somewhat fashion conscious. Oh, speaking of fashion conscious -- I needed a new sports bar but I refused to pay full price. then I saw them on sale 40% off plus I had a coupon for another 30%. Unfortunately, they only had one in my size. But you can bet that I bought it!!!

I am so glad that I have that leftover fruit that I snack on. It may not be the best (the best would be if I didn't snack at all), but at least it beats those cookies. The leftover hors dourves from Friday I'm just packing up and taking to the soup kitchen. I already had one of the spanikopita. I just have this "thing" about throwing out food, guess its from hearing "you know, there are children in China who would love to have those (insert you least favorite food)"

chicklet - rant all you need to. You have my utmost respect. Everything everyone else has said, I second (and third and fourth)

Jeannie - that is so nice of you to have Christmas for those WOFN's. What do you do about presents? We have a friend who is having to celebrate her first Christmas in NC because of an injury, and I was thinking about inviting her, but she'd feel bad when we were opening our presents and there wasn't anything for her.

Welcome Anglea! For anyone else who has a Wii -- it seems that when I do the hula hoop on the Wii, it many times doesn't let me take the hoops that are thrown from the left, but I can take it from the right. Also, the message "twirl your hips in a large round circle (or something like that)" seems to stay and stay on the screen! Today when I was doing it, suddenly the hoops would just drop. I changed the batteries in the remote and in the pad (the thing you stand on). Lately, when I take the body test, if I have the thing where you walk in place for 20 steps, it gets hung up on some of the steps. It's more frustrating than anything else.

Today (Mon) did an hour of this class called Power Hour. Honestly, I just wanted to try it, I was expecting something more intense. But it was OK. Tomorrow I have a board meeting at the Y then usually I do their spinning class. However, at one branch the fitness center will be closed so they can get new equipment (why it takes all day, I don't know), so I may not be able to take it at that branch, in which case, I'll just go to the branch near me.

Boy, things are really quiet. The last post was McMadame's at about 11:00 this morning.

Have a great evening everyone!

Michele
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Michelle, my pedometer is Omron model HJ-720ITC…..it cost over $60.00 I think but it comes with software so I can track my walking on my computer……there is a cheaper model without the software……it has a belt clip but I carry mine in my pocket……when I first carried a pedometer I had the kind that clipped on your waistband and I lost several of them. I put mine in my pocket when I get dressed first thing in the morning to walk the dogs and I carry it all day. On a few occasions when I’ve worn a dress, I’ve either put it in a little shoulder purse or wore the bottoms of my bathing suit that has a pocket under the dress so all my step get counted.

Kackie, I agree with you about how easy it is to go back to old habits…..during the week of the turkey I seemed to go back to larger portions and even eating dessert on two different days…..on Sunday I went to a party and had a second plate of food just because everybody else was eating a lot…..we did a cleanse day this weekend and today have been extra careful about all our eating.

Chiclet, when you described your mom squinting her eyes and getting the physical therapist to cut back, I thought about how my younger poodles whimpers and squeaks when the groomer is trimming her as a device to get her to stop……the groomer who has many poodles of her own, knows it’s just a fake out and keeps on grooming…….my grandmother broke her hip and came to live with my parents and my mom was a firm task master and my grandmother in the most quiet and passive way refused to do anything to help herself…..my mother pushed and prodded just like you do with your mom but my grandma refused and finally had to go to a nursing home where she patiently waited for her life to end…..I think as long as your mom is fighting with you, she’ll fight to get back on her feet.

Angela, if you’re doing Jenny Craig and it’s working for you, keep going……the best eating plan is the one you’ll stick to……on this thread you will get support and not criticism, that’s why I have stayed connected with these women for over a year……I have been losing weight with Isagenix which is another plan that draws criticism and on this thread no one has suggested that I should be doing something else…..I hope you will continue to stay connected with us.

Rae, I had my turn taking care of my mom and it was a lot of work and made me crazy at times…..there are many women on this thread who are currently taking care of a parent……taking care of my mother helped me be aware of staying healthier and of how I’d like to behave if someone ever has to care for me.

Viv, your family holiday sounds like it will be great……you are so thoughtful to accommodate the vegetarians in such a good way……I remember taking care of my mom’s things after her death and I remember how hard it was…..we moved into her house right away and took years to deal with all her things….you will always have warm memories of your uncle and will know that you spared no effort in caring for him.

:flowerforyou: I has been cold and windy all day but I got the dogs to the dog park this morning and worked in the yard for 30 minutes this afternoon before my hands got too cold and managed to walk over 10,000 steps.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good morning everyone

Brrrr it's minus 13 degrees this morning! I think I need to get some thermal long johns to wear under my trousers!!

The funeral went well, it was a nice service and we were encouraged to remember the good times with Derrick. It's just a shame more of his neices and nephews couldn't attend for one reason or another. As my dad said a lot of his friends died years ago so we weren't expecting anyone other than family.

oh no DD has started putting her coat on, time to go out into the cold to walk the doggies It's times like this I wish we'd stuck to cats !!!! only kidding doggies I'm on my way ..... where's my hat and gloves!

Talk later :heart: :heart:

xx
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Cold. So very, very cold! Since losing all my extra padding I can't get warm! Ho hum, extra layers of clothing for me I guess.

I'm off and running today. I wanted to go and donate blood, but called the centre up and they don't want it as I've had surgery in the last year. That means I won't be able to donate it next year either as I'm having my heart surgery in the New Year.

DD#2 is home from hospital now and resting. I'll pop in to see her later, although she says she feels like hibernating. I would dearly love to get all my babies (the grown up ones as well as the baby ones) and snuggle up with them on a huge sofa with blankets and hot drinks. The reality is that I'm just about to head off to the DIY store to get some extra insulation for our back door which seems to have developed a draught in the last few days. My kitchen needs to be warmer if I'm going to spend any time in there!

Strangely enough, the warmest room in my house seems to be my gym! Must be all the puffing and panting that goes on in there!

My DS and his lovely fiance are supposed to be flying home from Hamburg this evening, fingers crossed that their flight isn't cancelled because of the snow. At leat they aren't flying into Heathrow, which is a nightmare right now.

I'm either going to have to start typing with mittens on or I'm going to have to finish for now .... time to get moving!

My thoughts are with you all and I hope that your are not too stressed at this busy time of year. Keep up the good work and forgive yourself if you stumble.

Love

Amanda x
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Mac- Thanks for the lead on Old Navy. I will have to check there too. They just “outlawed” individual heaters at work in our new building, so I will need more than what I bought anyway.

Michele – Being that we still have kids at home all of our presents will be opened way before guest get here. For your friend I’d just get a token gift like a bottle of wine or something small. She will be glad to not be alone.

I got very behind on reading the posts. To all who have lost a loved one -my sympathies. To those busy getting ready for the holidays-please do not stress out. Take a moment to enjoy the season

DD got accepted into the local charter school which is 30 minutes north of us. DS got accepted into another local charter school that is near where I work. So starting January 4th I will have to leave an hour earlier to bring DD north than DS west with me. I feel better now that I know DD's best friend gets there early too and they "hang" with a really cool teacher who lets the kids that get there early due to parents working hang in her room before school. My visions of DD standing in the cold and wet for 45 minutes until her school starts are gone! I still have a lot of forms to fill out and stuff to collect to get ready to put them into their schools.

Jeannie
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hoping all of you are having a good Christmas Week.

I just skimmed the posts from the last three days. Busy...Yep that pretty much explains why I'm not here more often. I'm hoping that after the holidays I can get back to being regular here.

Saturday I went to get get Peanut bathed, nails done and then off to a holiday party...so it was busy. Late that night #1 Son and DIL pulled in from Las Vegas, they got over the Rockies right before this latest set of storms started. It's been dumping snow up there by the feet and I'm glad that the kids made it here before that started.

It looks like Christmas Dinner will be at our house (not at my DIL's parents like we'd originally planned) so I'm starting to scramble and having to shop for the food tonight.

Have a good day all:drinker: drink your water and log those foods....

Laura:smile:

The day after Christmas the family will gather back at our house for family pictures, we have a photographer coming to the house and we will get some group and individual pictures...it ought to be interesting.

I'm sure that once the holidays are over and our lives settle down to whatever normal is we will be back to the proper exercising and eating better portions of salad and veggies with fish....which we haven't been very good at this month.

Welcome to the newbies, you have joined the best group to get inspiried.

Chiclet...hang in there! Hoping that your Mom starts to act her age soon....although I found with Mom & Dad (before they died) that they acted more the child than the adult, and throwing tantrums seemed to be a regular thing as well as being stuborn and wanting their own way even when it wasn't what was best.

Jeannie - sorry to read about your kids problems, but glad that you are getting them into schools that will releave your worring of what is going on when they are at school.

Amanda - WOW you guys have been really hit with the winter weather. It makes all those movies of "The Christmas Carol" seem more real....looking at England in the snow!

I'm sure I missed others, but I best get to work. I don't know how much posting I will be able to do in the next week...it may be that I will have to wait until the new year to have my act together....we will see.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I finally got a chance to read the last week or so of posts. Can't reply to everyone, but...

Welcome newbies!!!

Amanda, Congrats on reaching goal!!

Chiclet-Sorry to hear about the trouble with your identity on MFP. When I searched for your original profile, it said you had deactivated it. I am wondering if just before you signed off the last time if you might have gone in to settings for some reason and accidentally deactivated it.....It might be worth a try to send a PM to "Mike" the site admin and founder, and see if he can help you get things back.

It took great courage to share the story of your childhood. You are living proof that therapy can change a person's life. Your mother is very lucky to have you in her life.

Robin, I am glad you made your comment about Vitamin D, as it reminded me I have been remiss on taking mine, and maybe that is why I am feeling a little dragged out.

As far as things around here, all the doggies are healthy, but at the moment, Mai Li is wandering the house whining about something. Amazingly, the same little girl who pitched such a fit that I had to take her in to the vet EVERY day for 10 days to have meds put in her ears is now letting ME clean her ears without pitching a fit!!!! She has figured out that "good little girls get treats" when we are finished. LOL.

Bradley took advantage of my forgetfulness yesterday. I always put the kitchen garbage can in the bathroom with the door shut when I go out. Otherwise, my little "Yorkshire Terror" can tip the can over and spread a mess all over the kitchen. Unfortunately, yesterday, the can made it in the bathroom, but the door didn't get latched. I came home to find the "garbage monster" had struck again. Fortunately, the can's position was such that it could only tip part way, so only a few things were rooted out. Still, it was one more thing "momma" had to take care of when she got home.

As far as doggies are concerned, has anyone else seen the cute "Tele-flora" tv commercial with the Dalmation? It is very cute, a box of flowers is delivered on a porch. The Dalmation, wearing a red vest, walks up to the box and decides it needs "watering"--if ya know what I mean. The voice-over comes on stating that if you don't order from Tele-flora your flowers may not come out smelling like a rose, and touting their personal delivery of orders. Cute!!

I am having Christmas Day dinner at my place, with just my parents. On Christmas Eve, I am having a few friends in for an informal dinner. I have lots of Christmas decorations up this year, and have added some things. Thanks to some thrift store and Dollar Tree shopping, I was able to add lots of "Christmasy" touches without breaking the bank.

I already got two Christmas presents for myself. I gave my non-stick cookware set to a friend, who considered it an improvement over what she had, and I took advantage of a sale at our Kroger-owned store to get a complete set of T-Fal Elegance Stainless Cookware, along with a matching FREE 12" saute pan. The regular price of all would have been around $170, but between the sale price of the cookware, the coupon for the free pan, and another 20% off, I got everything for $64!!!! Ho! Ho! Ho! Ka-ching!!

I love my new pans. They are lighter weight than what I had, and I no longer have to worry about scratching a non-stick surface, or wonder if anything unhealthy is transferring from the non-stick coating to the food. They also heat up much faster and on a lower heat, due to the aluminum core. A little spray of olive oil, or some non-stick spray and nothing sticks.

At the same store a few days earlier, I found a cute little electric fireplace for 50% off, so now my living room is very cheery. I did, however, learn that if I use the heating function on the fireplace, and the television is on, I better not turn on my hairdryer!!! First time we tried that, I found myself standing in the dark and had to go reset a breaker. All the affected plugs are on the same circuit, and it is a little too much.

I hit the 50% off sale at one of the local thrift stores and found a pair of my favorite brand and style of slip on leather shoes, that are normally about $80 at Macy's. They looked as though they had hardly been worn, and cost me a whole THREE dollars!!! I also got a couple of sweaters, both with the metallic threads that make them look "Christmasy." I bought a pair of Anne Klein slacks for $2.50!!!!

My CD changer quit a few weeks ago, and I THOUGHT I had found a replacement during the same sale, but after having it home and playing with the programming, it became clear that the CD player didn't work consistently, so I had to return it. For the time being, I am stuck with the single CD player that I relocated from the bedroom to the living room.

I have most of my shopping done, and have some baking to do before Friday. I am making a bunch of little pumpkin bread loaves to give as gifts, and I am also going to make some decorated sugar cookies. Trader Joe's had a complete cookie making kit--with cookie mix, frosting, and even has cutters--all for 99 cents!!

I also gave myself another gift--the joy of WANTING to get up in the morning to go to work!! After feeling like a square peg in a round hole for the last several months, I learned of another insurance-related position in an office even closer to my home than where I had been working. I have learned that when I ignore my hunches, I usually live to regret it. I had a strong feeling this would be a good move--strong enough that I went in on Monday morning and quit at the old office.

I was interviewed and offered a spot that same afternoon at the new office. There is no micro-management at the new place, and I am looking forward to being able to work hours that fit me, rather than trying to fit in to someone else's idea of when I should be working. As is the case with most agents, I am considered an independent contractor, but at the old place, their expectations resulted in them treating their IC's like employees. This I will not miss.

In case I don't get a chance to do so later in the week......

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Barb
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Barbie - about your pedometer, do you find that you have any problems with any kinds of pants. I had an Omron (I don't remember the model) but it fell into the toilet so now I have a DigiWalker. Yet, with the Omron and this DigiWalker, I found that for some reason it didn't count my steps when I wore jeans. With this DigiWalker, you clip it onto your pants but I have another clip with a shoelace-like thing attached to it so if it falls off my waist, this has saved it (many, many times)

I really hope I'm not jinxing myself - but this holiday season I've managed to stay under 140. Before the holidays I was in the high 120's. You know, its interestingly funny, but since I've been eating better, I actually crave decent food right now. I'm just amazed at myself. I am keeping up with my exercise, some days I've had to shorten it, but at least I did something. Today I took an hour spin class. Tomorrow is yoga and then the water class. I've also been keeping up with my water consumption.

Well...Denise is supposed to drive to Jessica's tomorrow and then they're supposed to drive down here for Christmas. Christmas eve is a real biggie for me. For dinner we'll have crab salad tarts (I've already made them), brie and peach tarts (made), shrimp soup (which I've made), blueberry corn mufifns (made), mashed potatoes, rice, corn (one of the few veges Vince will eat), baked lobster tails, I made pierogi, cod, catfish, crab cakes (made), salmon cakes (made), tuna shells (made) Baked salmon, Halibut, Haddock, oatmeal raisin cookies (made), sugar cookies (made), 2 babkas (made) snickerdoodles (made) M&M cookies (made), chocolate chip cookies (made), an apple crisp (made), I still have to make the chocolate cheesecake, and lemon square (made)

Amanda - I do hope your son makes it to your place. If we don't hear from you for a few days, we'll assume he made it. I know how thrilled I am to have my daughters here. Then in Jan. we'll be off to Europe to meet up with Bryan. Vince is complaining that the weather will be cold, but I don't care. I'll get to see my son -- cold or no cold. You better have better weather because I think we're flying into England (don't know exactly just yet), then going to see a friend of mine from high school who lives in Switzerland, then Paris to meet up with Bryan.

barb (weaklink) - don't you just love getting bargains? Jessica wanted a wok, and by the time all was said and done, I paid $5 for it. I love getting bargains.

Hope everyone has a great evening and day tomorrow!

Michele
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Michelle, all my pants are some sort of jeans (Levis, Lee, Gloria Vanderbilt) with a right front pocket big enough to hold the pedometer so it doesn’t fall out and it seems to count steps pretty well as long as I am walking fast enough…..your holiday food preparations are amazing….how do you ever find the time for all of that and for all the exercising you do????????

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Jeannie , Amanda, and Viv, I have been extra cold since I lost weight……now I dress for it…….in November I started wearing leggings under my jeans (either cotton or silk) along with wool socks. I wear two silk long sleeve undershirts under a cotton turtleneck and a sweater, sweatshirt or fleece top. Sometimes I wear a wool scarf indoors if I need to be warmer….I admire all the cute v neck tops and silky things that other women wear but I need warmer clothes and I’ve gotten used to it.

:bigsmile: Barb, I’m glad to hear that things are looking better for you in the employment world…yes, I’ve seen the Tele-Flora add……very funny……..my bargain shopping is not nearly as impressive as yours……I bought another pair of Shape Ups at Costco for half the price of what they would cost anywhere else….at first I stuck my nose up at them because they weren’t the styles I bought before and now that I have them I love them (especially the color)

:flowerforyou: Laura, preparing for a big family holiday dinner is hard enough without having it sprung on you at the last minute…..good luck at getting it all pulled together at the last minute

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: We stayed up late last night to watch the lunar eclipse so we’ll be going to bed early tonight
  • edmontonukeplayer
    edmontonukeplayer Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Well it is middle of the night and I can't sleep but I have decided to use the wakefulness to plan things out for the next couple of busy weeks. My parents have arrived for a two week visit and I have had to work hard not to let myself "spin". Being awake in the middle of the night is evidence to my limited success at this. However, I continue to have calmness through the holiday season as my goal.

We had a marathon day of gluten-free Christmas baking today and things went pretty nicely. I am on track to have everything ready as needed. I have a lot of baking and cooking (basically catering) to do, as I am taking the food in to the many places we have to visit over the holiday season, so I have decided to look at this in a positive. By supplying the food it makes eating gluten-free and healthy/calorie mindful easier.

The little messages from MFP and reading the posts from all of you on this thread give me a great deal of motivation as I continue to manage the in and work towards weight loss. Next week we will be heading to spend some time at our cabin in northern Saskatchewan where we have no internet access and there is no Starbucks, etc. etc. around in many miles to connect to free WIFI. So I am trying to figure out how I will maintain my contact with MFP. I have the app on my Iphone and think I can use some functionality without WIFI but my guess is I will lose my sign in for consecutive days message, etc. etc. Any suggestions??

Karlene
  • chicletgirl21
    chicletgirl21 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I HATE THIS!!!:explode:

I had been so depressed. for the past few days I couldm't do anythiing without crying!:sad: It'spouring down rain nonstop here in Cali and I tried to put off doing laundry as long as I could. But one morning I woke up to mom wetting through onto her clothes, blankets and sheets (which could have been avoided if she just told me when she originally wet herself to change her, instead of wetting again and again because she didn't want to get changed that early in the morning. The whole room smelled like urine, so I had to find and beg someone to take me down to a laundramat in the rain and do all the laundry. I was sitting in there as my laundry was washing and there were two guys and two women with me. I was sitting on a bench and I was exhausted and trying to relax, I had put my earplugs in and turned on my MP3 player and Claire de Lune came on. As I was listening to it I just broke down crying and buried my face in my hands and cried and cried. Thankfully nobody came up to me and I just cried and didn't care what people around me thought. (Although I did see one guy looking at me like I was insane), but I didn't care. When I got home, the caregiver was there and as soon as I saw him broke down crying again. He held me but I could tell it was awkward for him. I have been like a zombie going through the steps of daily routine care for my mom and my life. I am in so much pain. My back and now my sciatica nerve is constantly hurting ant the simpliest chores are done in pain. My mom gives me expert advice and says that I better start doing exercises to control the pain, and I told her, no, you need to start putting some effort into rolling yourself when I change you instead of being dead weight and making me push you back and forth.

This past weekend I went grocery shopping and bought a few things "extra" (can't reallly afford to do this) to make cookies. I can't afford to give gifts this year to anyone as all the money we have goes directly into caregivers. So I thought I would make a few batches of cookies and give them to all the dear people who have helped me so much through this time with mom and with all my trials and tribulations throughout the year. I wanted so badly to give them somethiing so they would know how much I appreciate them. But last night I was going through my cookie book and I was in such pain just sitting there that I realized there is no way I can do a marathon cookie baking session all by myself in this condition. I will never be able to stand, bend and bake for hours at a time or even have the time in-between taking care of mom to be able to do this. She just monopolizes my time so much. I had to cut my caregiver time down to 2 hours from 6 hours, because I can't afford it any longer. And it is just not enough time to allow me to bake. I asked my son to come down tomorrow and possibly help me with the baking, (I can make the doughs, and prepare and put them on the pans, he would just have to put them in and out of the oven for me and wash some dishes in between, but he refused. He said just don't worry about it. I told hiim that I can't afford to give him anything for Christmas and wanted to make cookies for him and his new family to share, but he said don't worry about it. So I hung up and just cried again.

With all this crying, I figure my time of the month must be coming pretty soon, but I am not kidding myself, I know it is stress too. My forearms have broken out in a rash. It looks like I have the measles! I am itching all the time. I am so poopy and it drives me crazy that I am breaking down!:grumble: For awhile now I have been a firm believer in the Simple Abundance and positive thinking. It has gotten me through some bad times and has helped me tremendously, but now not even that is working. I HATE THAT! Here I am reading this book to my mom hoping a little of it will rub off on mom or she will see the light to positive thinking and I just see her blank, stubborn face looking at me like I am full of you know what for believing in this. It's like what's the point in bothering!!:noway:

But yesterday something miraculous happened and it was the most wonderful, amazing thing that has happened yet in my life!
    The caregiveing company that I am using that I had to cut back on, had a person who comes out and introduces there services and sets up the contract with me. Well I had informed him last week that I wouldn't be able to use their services anymore and needed to use another company that allowed a two hour window only. He said he understood, ( he has come over when a caregiver can't make it for a day due to being ill and has helped me with my mom in moving her. He has seen what I have to go through and after he helps me is sweating and says, "you need help badly.") and said he would try to come over and talk to me about seeing if he could offer something else a little cheaper; that he knew people. I told him thank you, but he never showed up and just figured he had forgotten and didn't think any more about it. Then yesterday he calls me out of the blue and asks if he can drop by and talk with me. So I said sure. He has always been very nice to us and I thought he just wanted to check in on us and see how we were doing. He caught me walking Boo in the rain and came out of his car and with his umbrella and walked along side of me. He told me that he wanted to give me his commission that he received for having us use his services while I had them. At first I didn't understand what he meant. He said everytime he gets someone to sign up for their services he gets a commission and he wanted to give it to me to help me with money to pay for the new caregiver. By the time we got back to my apartment and sat down I finally understood what he was saying and I just stared at him in shock. I said, "Why would you want to do that for us?" and he said, "Because I know you are struggling and you are such a good person and are doing the very best you can and I want to help you." I kept shaking my head in disbelief and he said, "Deborah, there are people out there who care and want to help you. I am one of them. When this same thing that is happening to you, happens to my parents, I don't know if I could do what you are doing, financially, physically or mentally. I just want to help you and this is the best way I can." My bill with his company is around $1500 and I have yet to be able to pay for this. He didn't even know this. He said that wasn't his department, he is just in sales, but I could use the money anyway I wanted. It turns out he wants to give me $700!:noway: I asked him if this would hurt him in anyway financially. He said no. "Are you sure?" I asked. He just smiled and said, "I am positive." I just broke down crying in front of him and thanked him profusely and said it was the best Christmas present I have ever received in my entire life. It is the most unselfish act anyone has ever done for me!:heart: I mean, my God he doesn't even know me that well!!! After he left, I just sat there stunned for awhile, letting it absorb into my mind. I started thinking about things an old boyfriend taught me. He was the one who got me into the positive thinking and how if you are positive, good, honest and giving, good things will come to you. Pay it forward. I have been so fortunate during these times in my life lately and have tried to live as positively as possible and be grateful for everything I receive and have in my life. My attitude is so different from the way it was before my divorce. I have changed so much. I hope for the better. I truly believe in positive thinking, truly believe people care about me, truly believe that good things will happen if I believe in them. And this kind act that he did for me, from a person I have just barely known and met, and who could give something so from the heart, is miraculous! I am so grateful and thankful. I will never forget this. NEVER. And when I am able to, I intend to help people all I can for the rest of my life as much as I can. It is in my destiny, I know it.

I told my mom after he left, and her reaction was one that I used to give. She felt guilty, embarrassed, and thought of it as charity. I told her, "No, this is a result of positive thinking. Everything I have been trying to teach you in this book is what this is about. This is what I have been experiencing for over 2 years now. I do what I can for others from my heart and am grateful for all I have, and good things happen. I never know what to expect but, good things happen and I accept them gratefully now, and don't fight them by being guilty, embarrassed or thought of as charity. If people do these things, they are doing them because they want to and can. By being grateful and paying it forward is what makes them feel good about it." I said, "Look at it this way mom, If you could help someone and tried to give to them and only received negative responses and they fought you saying it was charity, wouldn't it make you sad and a little frustrated because you really wanted to help them and it wasn't anything that would hurt you financially or physically? You just were doing it because you could and cared, yet they turn you down? Giving is more important than receiving as far as I am concerned. That's what this whole season is about...Giving. And it should be like that all year long, not just for the season." I told her since I have adopted this new way of thinking, I have met some incredible people along the way, who have helped me in all kinds of ways, not just financially. I gave all of you as an example of how rich my life is. How your support has helped me with my weight, eating habits and just being there for me. I told her, they care. And I am grateful to say they are friends of mine.

I thnk she is slowly coming around to understanding how this works in someones life. It does no good to think negatively! There are enough negative things in the world to bring you down, you don't have to do it to yourself. You have to reach down inside and look and find the things you are grateful for and take nothing for granted. As I do for all of you.

Thank you all for your support and for just being you.:flowerforyou:

Chiclet.

(By the way, my time of the month reared it ugly head this morning! But it's okay:happy: )
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,732 Member
    Options
    Chiclet, I am speechless. You are such an amazing woman. :heart:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Chiclet,
    Your post made me cry. You are suffering so much and still remain so positive that I feel a little guilty about being upset about not having a job. I have so much and you reminded me that I should focus more on that. thank you for putting things back into prospective for me. You truly deserve all the good things that do come your way. You are an inspiration. I am honored to call you friend.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Karlene, when my life was racing full speed ahead and I'd wake up in the middle of the night with my head spinning with ideas, I learned to thank God for providing me this extra needed time and I'd get up just like you did and get something done..:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: my first summer on MFP we spent a week in an RV park with no wifi and I really missed all my friends on MFP........that was before the news feed that reported how many consecutive days we had all logged in......I kept a paper and pencil diary of food and exercise so I felt accountable even without the website......as luck would have it, I was able to log in one day at the public library (they allowed you to use their computers for 30 minutes) and at a bookstore that allowed me to use their computer for about 20 minutes........In September this year I went to a weekend retreat at a rural location with no wifi and sporadic cell phone service......because i didn't want to lose my log in streak on MFP, I asked my husband to log in for me every day (that was probably cheating:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: but I was being just as careful about my eating and exercising while I was on the retreat so I didn't feel guilty about it :laugh: ) I think you will find that even without reading our posts every day that you will feel that we are with you......some days when I am extra busy I notice myself thinking about things I've read from my friends on MFP or thinking about what I want to tell all of you.......a few days in a cabin in northern Saskatchewan sounds heavenly assuming you are with the right people---who is going with you?

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Chiclet, you have an attitude of gratitude that I admire....if you stay at the moment and count your blessings like you are doing, you will get through this......we are all here for you.:heart:

:flowerforyou: this is my super exercise day
    dog walking, yoga, exercise bike, two hour line dance class, and long walk with a friend. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • raeadams
    Options
    just reading the post I am once again amazed at the power of Women...we are able to do so many things and still make room for others ....

chicletgirl...I feel your pain..I also have a mother I am taking care of and I am seeing things I never saw before..she seems to be a little harsh at times...it does hurt when you are doing all you can and yet it seems so much more needs to be done..like you I also decided to bake cookies as gifts this year...however since my DD will not arrive until Christmas Eve night I will have to get all of this done...LOL...I think I might have put my foot in my mouth on this one..(laughing at myself)..

It's just beautiful to see the power of woman...and to know that truly we get better with time....Sorry I did not speak to each post...know that I did read them and wish all of You the very best.......I will try to check out the post on tomorrow....

MERRY CHRISTMAS 2 ALL!!!!!!!....;-)
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,
    I have been MIA but I am doing okay. Just been really busy. Will be back full force next week. I just skimmed a few posts. All I had time for. Can only comment on Chiclet. Wow is my first thought. That is an awesome story. There are angels in this world and they are everywhere. I am one of those people that just enjoy giving. If I had loads of money that is what I would do. Not for the recognition but just to know you can help someone is such a good feeling. By accepting that gift you made that man feel so good. You helped him by him helping you. Just keep on being positive and it will rub off on your mom. My prayers are with you that you get some relief. I was exhausted just from the few days when my dad was in hospital and I had my sister and others to help. I can only imangine doing it all myself. have a Merry Christmas.
    Vicki M
  • chicletgirl21
    chicletgirl21 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!:flowerforyou:

First I want to thank you all for the nice comments about what I wrote. I don't mean it to turn into a sermon or for that matter a lengthy novel, just so much seems to be happening right now in my life and I don't have anyone to talk to, so unfortunately you all get the brunt of it all, whether it is a rant or a story. I always intend on making it brief and it never turns that way.

Well today for some reason, everything went right and smoothly. Even mother nature treated me good today and I wasn't cramping or crabby. Soooooo, I made my cookie doughs! I did a quick stir fry and then changed mom's brief and slapped in a movie for her to watch and away I went making dough. Boo helped. She was the official taster, a task she is very good at!:wink: She sat on a chair next to the table and watched me make all five doughs, sampling them when I finished. Her favorite......the peanut butter cookie dough, natch!

I made snickerdoodles, chocolate crinkles, chocolate chip w/ nuts, pineapple cookies, and the peanut butter. Tomorrow I bake them and then give them away as gifts. I hope I made enough:indifferent: If I haven't I may make lemon bars tomorrow. We'll see.

I was surprised that I had the time and the energy, so I just took it and ran with it. All in all it was a good day. Hope tomorrow goes equally as well.

I've been seeing what some of you are making and they sound so delicious and decadent. Someone made a bunch of things and listed them, and my mouth was watering. I wish I could be there for that Christmas get together.

Well I am off to bed.:yawn: Gotta bake tomorrow.

Chiclet:flowerforyou:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi everyone

:flowerforyou: :heart: Chiclet, as has been already mentioned, you ARE an amazing woman. I'm sorry you are hurting now, but so pleased about your bit of good news. What a lovely man! I hope this eases your finances and your stress levels a little. You are such a lovely person to want to "pay it forward" and I'm sure once you are in position to help others, you will do it.

:frown: I was doing so well and found some willpower from somewhere and was able to say no thanks to many of the goodies been offered to me, but not sure what happened, the last couple of nights I have over indulged shall we say. I am so cross with myself as it was starting to show on the scales too! Now I need to give myself a good talking to and not be so greedy.

:ohwell: It's freezing cold here again, looks very pretty as if someone has sprinkled icing sugar over everything, but soooo cold to walk anywhere. At least I don't have to go too far today, one last check over at Derricks then back home to wrap the last few bits and bobs then I think I am finished. Anything we don't have after today, we will have to do without.

Just in case I don't get chance tomorrow, I'll wish everyone a very HAPPY CHRISTMAS and hope you all have a wonderful time.