homemade hummus advice

Options
andielyn
andielyn Posts: 233 Member
I made my first batch of homemade hummus last week and it wasn't the best. I used organic salt-free tahini and think that was part of my problem. Any advice or good recipes to share? It didn't help that my blender broke while trying to puree it :(

Replies

• WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in suggestions here too.
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    In for suggestions too....recently found Aethenos (sp?) spicy three pepper hummus....Yum! I'd like to try and duplicate, just don't know where to start. Yes, I know....buy the chickpeas....okay, so I know where to start but from there....
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I made my first batch of homemade hummus last week and it wasn't the best. I used organic salt-free tahini and think that was part of my problem. Any advice or good recipes to share? It didn't help that my blender broke while trying to puree it :(

Emulsify the tahini in lemon juice and olive oil before you start adding in the chickpeas. Garlic salt, sea salt, cayenne, cumin and paprika all make excellent additions depending on the flavor you're going for.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Did your blender break because the chickpeas were still too hard? I prefer dried over canned - boil the dried chickpeas and reserve the boiling water. That can be used to flavor the hummus. And, for non-salt flavor, add some roasted garlic and lemon juice. If you add less olive oil while making it, you can add some very flavorful, delicious stuff before you eat it for more bang for your buck.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    1 LB cooked garbanzos
    2T oilve oil
    5 cloves minced garlic
    1T fresh lemon juice
    1/2 t salt
    1T sesame seeds ( didnt have tahini- its just fine with out it)
    1t black pepper

mash with potato masher till is smooshed
    then put in food proscessor - add about 1/2 c water to help it blend, sometimes more sometimes less
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I skipped the tahini because at the time I started making my own I couldn't see spending the money on it, but now that I have some, I've got to try it. In the meantime, I've been making my own for years using chick peas, jalapenos, garlic clove, black olives, cumin, roasted red peppers, lime juice and some olive oil. Always use the garlic and any combo or all three of the jalapeno, olives or red peppers. Never made a batch I didn't like. I tried making it recently with dried chickpeas, but didn't cook them long enough. I've been using organic canned chickpeas and use a little of the juice to thin it out , if need be. Happy dipping!!
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Did your blender break because the chickpeas were still too hard? I prefer dried over canned - boil the dried chickpeas and reserve the boiling water. That can be used to flavor the hummus. And, for non-salt flavor, add some roasted garlic and lemon juice. If you add less olive oil while making it, you can add some very flavorful, delicious stuff before you eat it for more bang for your buck.

No, my blender broke because it was "vintage" :smile: No kidding, at least 50 years old and had just seen it's last day. I used dried, pre-soaked and cooked in a pressure cooker. I reserved the water to add back, plus garlic (not roasted), lemon juice and cumin (and salt.) I cooked the beans in garlic and a bay leaf.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'll give it another go. I didn't know whether or not trying a different kind of tahini would make a difference but given the cost, I'd rather not.

I really like the Sabra brand, especially the roasted garlic variety. I'll give another batch a go with your suggestions. Thanks!
  • jennifer4567890
    jennifer4567890 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi there, fairly new poster here but just wanted to throw in my two cents. I have had trouble trying to make hummus in the past as well, usually the chickpeas (I always use canned- so much easier) don't blend and get all caught up in the blades. Anyway, just yesterday I decided to give it another go using more instinct than following a recipe.

Like others said, it is REALLY important to mix the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, tahini first, and THEN slowly mix in the chickpeas to blend. I used a hand-held pulsing blender this time and found it easier to control to mix than when using my big blender. This way you get a smoother consistency. I still found my mix to be waaaay too thick so I added a bit of water to get it thinner and this was good.

Here's what I blended: 2 cloves pressed garlic, 1/3 c tahini, 3-4 tbsp olive oil, juice of half a lemon, around 2-3 tbsp cumin and one can of strained chickpeas, also 1/2 c water.
  • jennifer4567890
    jennifer4567890 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh, also wanted to add this which I pinned on Pinterest. I found it useful for future planned batches of hummus I will make!

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/d4/00/42/d40042062b20a166f7194b05e6e5c915.jpg

(sorry if this doesn't work properly! My first time trying to include an image in a forum [newbie])
  • Pamelab513
    Options
    This is my recipe for Homemade Hummus.

1 cup whole white sesame seeds
    1 cup water
    Juice of 3 lemons
    3-4 cloves of garlic
    1-2 tsp of sea salt, to taste
    1 tsp of ground cumin
    1 pinch of cayenne pepper

Blend above ingredients in a Vitamix until really smooth and aromatic. It will look slightly grey.

Then add two cans of UNSALTED chickpeas. Add a little more water if you think it needs it. I use the Eden Organic unsalted variety, from the health food store.

This Hummus is SO GOOD it tastes as though you are running off with contraband!!

Notice it has no oil. If you want oil, put a tablespoon or two in for the right "feel."

Yes, I invested in a Vitamix. Your homemade smoothies, hummus, mayonnaise, creams, purees, and soups will never be the same.

It's cheaper than chemotherapy.

;-D
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    The Smitten Kitchen blogger says to remove the skins of the chickpeas before you blend. I think that is too much work, but she says it results in a much smoother hummus. I am with others on the tahini not being critical, although if you are going to use it, I try to go for a Middle Eastern brand.
  • nimianne
    nimianne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can always add salt later - so your tahini should be fine. I make mine in the food processor, and I throw everything in at once:

2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 can)
    1/4 cup tahini
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    2-3 tbsp good olive oil
    1/4-1/3 cup water (add more at the end if you like it thinner)
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1/2-1tsp salt (to taste)
    1 tsp Cumin
    1/2 tsp Smoked paprika
    1 tsp Crushed red pepper flakes
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder

And we like things hot, so we add:
    1-2 tsp tabasco or hot sauce
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp ground chipotle chili pepper

You can omit or exchange any spices. You could add jarred roasted red peppers and season it with more Mediterranean seasonings.

I even added cooked sweet potato once and it was delicious! Recipe here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4_-5vJFMVk
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Need lots of garlic, lemon and salt. There is nothing wrong with REAL salt.

Also you could try using sesame oil in place of olive or whatever oil you used.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for posting their go to recipes! I've been talking a hot fuss about making hummus and now I have different recipes to try!
  • whatthedeuce23
    whatthedeuce23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Barefoot Contessa Hummus! or my healthier variation: 1 can no-salt chickpeas, 2T of the liquid from the can, 6T lemon or lime juice, 1T garlic (or more if you like more garlicky) 1/4-1/2 t Frank's red hot (depending on your spice preference) put it in a blender and puree! Refrigerate, I usually make 10-12 servings out of it and it's about 65 cals :)
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I had exactly same thing at lunchtime today - blender refused to work so lumpy houmous. My tahini is also salt free - next time I think I'm going to add less tahini and lots of black pepper - poss some lemon juice too. Mine was OK - quite garlicky :)

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1940690/healthy-homemade-houmous-
  • mom2mcjc
    mom2mcjc Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I usually make a big batch of it at a time. Put a bag of dried chickpeas in the slow cooker with plenty of water and let them go until they're really soft. Drain off most of the water. I don't even use a blender. I just throw it in the kitchen aid mixer with a regular mixing paddle. I add tahini, salt, lemon juice, LOTS of fresh garlic, a bit of cumin, and cayenne to taste. With some good bread and fresh veggies, this is a hearty and inexpensive meal for my family of four. I give away leftovers to my other foodie friends at work.
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    I make really rad hummus, and my recipe is very similar to nimianne's. The only thing missing is the garlic. I -love- garlic, and when I make a batch I have a little trick.

I pop all the cloves out of a head of garlic, and while they're still in their "paper" I toss them up in some olive oil, then wrap them in aluminum foil and bake them for 30 minutes at 350. When they come out they should be golden, and you can squeeze them. They'll smell a little sweet and the garlic inside the pouch comes out really easy. I add all of that garlic to my batch of hummus.

It's not really overwhelming and it gives the hummus a really yummy roasted garlic flavor. I do the same thing to mashed potatoes. It's worth the extra effort.

Good olive oil is also important, because the cheap stuff tastes like butt!!! Get a small vial of the expensive kind to give it a really good flavor. Sometimes I top my hummus with chopped kalamata olives when I'm feeling fancy. And I don't always add the cumin. Cumin and paprika makes the hummus sort of tex-mexxy.

I'm a hummus geek, sorry!
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into making some too. Thanks for all the recipes and tips.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    bump