what did you sacrifice for better health?

Options

Replies

• jenniferhorn87
    jenniferhorn87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Gave up getting trashed from drinking at parties/bars (although I haven't missed those hangovers one bit)

Gave up fried foods (and now I know my body will react badly if I start eating them again now)

Gave up mindless eating out of boredom

Gave up coffee, artificial sweeteners (except for the very occasional), and most foods with added sugar

I have become a lot more conscious about what I'm putting into my body. I'm paying more careful attention not only to calories, but everything as a whole. Basically (with the exception of beer occasionally), if something has no nutritional value, I don't even both eating it. I feel now that it's not worth it.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Nothing at all. It is called lifestyle change and as an adult I learned how to have self control. I can have a serving of ice cream or a serving in a half and still lose weight. It is the only way you are going to really create lifestyle change and stop yo-yo dieting.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    What have I sacraficed inmy journey? Well I sacraficed time that I would have spent laying around doing nothing for getting up and moving. I've missed a couple naps, I've swapped peanut buster parfaits once a week for small hot fudge sundaes with spanish peanuts every now and then. I've swapped feeling lethargic and tired and drained and cranky for being energized and joyful and motivated. I've swapped not caring about myself because if I cared to much I'd have to admit how much I hated myself and how I looked for being content with the changes my body has made and continues to make and being excited to buy new clothes and even clothes in "normal people" sizes. I've sacraficed the enduring of some pain because for me physical activity means pain but it also makes me stronger.

This is awesome--great outlook!
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I sacrificed mindless, careless eating. And it's not like I can go back now, because I know too much. :laugh:

Awesome! I was at a trade show yesterday, and a table had little Dove chocolates. In the past, I'm sure I would have grabbed one, but I thought "that's 42 calories." It wasn't thought in a way to tell myself I couldn't have one, but it was just the awareness of it that crossed my mind that made be pass them up.
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I finally had to make a choice between my health, and drowning everything I ate with butter and/or full-fat mayonnaise. I do use the mayo with olive oil now when I want it on a sandwich, and a trans fat free spread on my English muffin. No, it is not the same as the real thing and never will be, but now it's almost second nature and worth the adjustment.

I also had to distance myself from mac and cheese. I know in theory I can have anything I want, in moderation, but trust when I say there is no moderation for me in this. I had a couple of bites of what was left in the pan after my family ate last night, and ended up letting the dogs finish it before I scooped up the whole thing in my mouth, easily 600-900 calories' worth in just a few mouthfuls. NOT worth it for just a moment or two of pleasure. I'm wary of pasta in general, just because it is still so easy for me to let it take over. (My worst thing is mayo ON my pasta!!!) :huh: We all have our Achilles's heels.

Let's see... oh, and as of this morning I've "sacrificed" 26 pounds. And you know what? That's way better than a glop of mayo any day. :glasses:
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I've sacrificed midday television, obsessing over how to hide a muffin top and cellulite to my knees, afternoon naps except when I've worked out too hard, mindless eating, triple portions at dinner, defeatist beliefs that I had to eat clean or take pills to succeed, getting on the scale every day, constant consumption of carbs and no protein, articles on how to dress to look thinner, spanx, too much alcohol, the overly-buttered overly sauced way I used to cook.....

Obviously, we all have to sacrifice something, but it usually isn't the things we think we have to sacrifice. Eating less, getting the right macro balance, getting enough fiber, enough vitamins, enough exercise, and enough sleep does entail some sacrifices. I'd love to sit and watch TV all day and eat Doritos and pizza. I don't do that anymore. Do I still eat Doritos and pizza? Of course I do. Now I just work it into my healthier lifestyle instead of making an entire bag of Cool Ranch my meal.
  • MainahGirl
    MainahGirl Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I sacrificed my time with the TV. I no longer spend my evenings watching TV. I now spend my evenings at the Gym. Not only do I get good workouts, I also avoid the mindless TV eating aslo. Win, Win!
  • hilly510
    hilly510 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I sacrificed all of my trigger foods. Once you identify them, and understand how they affect you, they start to lose their classification as a trigger food. I used to not be able to control myself around cheese. I had it out of the house for a few months and it lost its hold on me. Now I can keep cheese around and use it for a garnish without going overboard and eating nachos over and over until all the cheese is gone. The same has happened with my other trigger foods.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider it a sacrifice - that implies giving up something you put a lot of value in and honestly I didn't value all the crap I ate that much. It's more like a compromise. IMHO, eating in moderation involves recognizing there are things that you can't control yourself with and figuring out ways to deal with that. Whether it's cutting them out altogether, finding healthier alternatives or just saving them for special occassions. For instance, I don't drink at home anymore since I don't think the calories are worth it (just my personal preference - I'd rather eat a cookie if I've got a couple hundred calories to spare) but I will usually drink when I meet up with my girlfriends or go out to dinner with Hubby.

The only thing close to a sacrifice was when I started using my lunch hour to go to the gym a few years back. It means I'm away from home longer since I have to make sure I still get my 8 hours in at my desk. And a bunch of us used to have lunch together so that also went by the wayside. I'll still have the occassional lunch date with pals but that's more of a sacrifice to me since I won't have time to get a workout in - and I'll miss chatting with my gym buddy. :) Funny how perspectives change over time!

Edited multiple times because my brain is still sleeping...
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I sacrificed some of my hard earned wages for a gym membership, running clothes and trainers.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I can't think of anything, to be honest.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I sacrificed having a dairy queen large 1400 calorie blizzard every day.

And now it tastes weird to me so I can't enjoy them any more :(

Same with my premium ice cream parlor (marble slab)

#firstworldproblems #notcomplaining

But... Pumpkin Pie Blizzards!!!! :sad:

Well for me it was midnight truffle with cookie dough in it, but the flavors are off for me now :(
    I've been thinking this week actually of grabbing a mini to taste test. Even tho it tastes off I still get cravings for it lol.

I honestly used to LOVE ice cream... The only time I really eat it now is Pumpkin Pie Blizzards. Those things......are like heaven.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Many people say not to deprive yourself of anything because in the end it will make you binge, but in my case if I don't stay away from certain things I binge anyways. I want to know what have you sacrificed for better health? Your weekly date night? Fast food? Drinks with the pals? Going to bed earlier and missing your favorite show? What did you give up and are you happy you did? I want to jear something motivational this morning!

All good things require some sacrifice, and that's how you know they are legit. But a sacrifice can be too much, which is why, for me, eating one meal a day was the best of all worlds--I can eat anything I want, just not when I want to, and I don't have to obsess over portion control 3 times a day. My next longed-for meal is always just 23 hours away at most. I've sacrificed the craving following, the "eat when you're hungry" mentality. In return, giving up immediate gratification brought me long-term peace of mind, broke my addiction to psychological eating, and left me with better health, as well as smaller clothes and a better dating life (and more time, a smaller grocery bill, etc).

Very good topic!
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I gave up fast food (no biggie there; never really was a fan), 'empty' calories- soft drinks and most store-bought junk food, and most alcohol. My husband and I make mead (honey wine, for all you non-nerds, haha!) and occasionally beer, and it drives me CRAZY not to have it with dinner or as an after-dinner treat. I still have a glass once a week or so, but I often have a hard time fitting it into my calories for the day.

I also gave up eating the way I liked to eat in exchange for moderation. That one KILLS me- peanut butter and ice cream serving sizes are cruel and insulting. Some days I really have to restrain myself to keep from going postal on people who preach eating in moderation- it's like being stuck in traffic on the way to the biggest job interview of your life and someone scoffs and says, "Ugh, please. Quit b!tching and just spread your wings and FLY there." I have neither wings nor a jetpack, and likewise precious little self-control around pita chips, nut butters, and chocolate. In a way, I've traded being a friend/ enabler to my body to being more like a parent. I make hard, unpleasant choices to (hopefully) better my health in the long run.

The most important thing I've sacrificed, however, is Time.

Time weighing and measuring everything meticulously, and logging it here.
    Time researching nutrition to ensure I'm getting a balanced diet.
    Time looking up effective, engaging exercises.
    Time looking up recipes, planning meals, and preparing 90% of my food at home.
    Time exercising to shape my body, get stronger, and keep my heart and lungs in excellent condition.

I often wonder if I'll look back on this part of my life and regret it. So many of my hobbies such as drawing, painting, writing, reading, baking, and playing video games have withered and nearly died. I try to make myself feel better by calling my health a hobby, and say it's no different than any of the others in terms of taking time away from my relationships. The best I can hope for is that this sacrifice pays off by keeping me in good health for longer at the end of my life. That I spend just a few more years being independent of younger family members and nursing homes.

Certainly I enjoy the health and appearance I've cultivated now, but time marches on and leaves its mark on me and everything else. I only hope it's worth it in the end.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I sacrificed all of my trigger foods. Once you identify them, and understand how they affect you, they start to lose their classification as a trigger food. I used to not be able to control myself around cheese. I had it out of the house for a few months and it lost its hold on me. Now I can keep cheese around and use it for a garnish without going overboard and eating nachos over and over until all the cheese is gone. The same has happened with my other trigger foods.

Pizza..... I can't. If there's going to pizza in the house I have to make at least 3 pieces fit into my day or it's not coming around me. Little Caesar's Deep Dish :love: :love: :love:
  • derkin2005
    derkin2005 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I sacrificed some of my hard earned wages for a gym membership, running clothes and trainers.
    ^^^^^ THIS minus the trainers
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I had to give up some shows at night since they are past my bedtime...lol. I get up at 4:30 to workout before the kids get up and we all get ready for work and school.
  • sillyshamrock11
    sillyshamrock11 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Only thing I've sacrificed is eating whatever I wanted, when I wanted and in whatever quantity I wanted. Now my eating is always mindful of my calorie goal.

^This!! I'm a Lifetime Weight Watchers member and I haven't had to sacrifice anything that I love (thankfully!). I've just become more mindful of my eating habits and make healthier choices/substitutions. I still splurge on the "bad" stuff now and then...but I also know when I can fit it in.

10502468.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • amatolauren
    amatolauren Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    missing out on going out to lunch at work.they all eat the delicious fast food and im here at work with salad after salads daily not complaining i love salad. but missing out on fast food is a bummer but i know its for the best and i will get where i want to be without it... also the boyfriend will eat baked potatoes and i get carrots and veggies. yum. but a baked pot. is delish too . but again its all for the best :)
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I sacrificed being broke from buying a fitness magazine or diet book any time I saw a catchy title.