what did you sacrifice for better health?

Options
12346»

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    10 Virgins and 1 Goat.

^ Yes!
  • dmike03
    dmike03 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good Job!
  • dmike03
    dmike03 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I gave up feeling sorry for myself! I injured my back which lead to surgery that didn't work. And that's when I gained most of my weight. And I used that as an excuse not to care about my health. Now I am so glad I changed my mindset. Lost 50lbs so far and feel 10x better. Oh, and I also gave up Mt. Dew (I think that was the hardest part) lol

Did the weight loss help your back? Kudos to you!

It helped a lot. That and strengthening my core.
  • Helenavee42
    Helenavee42 Posts: 175
    Options
    I wouldn't say I've sacrificed really. I base my diet off the Paleo diet. Sure I don't eat dairy, grains (with the exception of the occasional wild rice), or legumes but for the sake of my health it was worth it and I really don't miss eating those things.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I sacrificed mindless, careless eating. And it's not like I can go back now, because I know too much. :laugh:

^^ This and sitting on my *kitten* wasting my time watching tv
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Either I am very lucky to have not had to sacrifice anything, or I just have a skewed view of what sacrificing means.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Only thing I've sacrificed is eating whatever I wanted, when I wanted and in whatever quantity I wanted. Now my eating is always mindful of my calorie goal.
    This^

If I "give up" any food I am guaranteed to want it more. Forbidden fruit always tastes sweeter. Instead, I choose to not buy my "problem food" (ice cream) at the grocery. When I am absolutely craving it and can't stand it, I go out for a single dip cone. Even if I do that once a week, it's still way less calories than a pint of Ben and Jerry's, even when I get frozen greek yogurt, which I can (and will) eat at one sitting.

And as the guy I quoted states, I can no longer eat whatever I want regardless of quantity. I look at food as more of a "balance sheet" now...since I want to lose weight, the end result has to come in under. If I "debit" the account with 3 slices of pizza, I have to credit back some exercise or have smaller meals around it so I still come in near zero (since MFP builds a calorie deficit into your goal number)\

And I'm also not allowed to spend whole days parked on my butt on the couch. :tongue:
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    10 Virgins and 1 Goat.

^ Yes!
    If they are virgin goats, does that result in a better loss?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I sacrificed the 4 hours a night of TV reruns for working out.

I sacrificed mindless, bottomless eating at parties (namely of chips in dip. now I have a better understanding of serving size).
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Lumpia
  • yuuen
    yuuen Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Lumpia
    Hell no, I'm never giving it up! haha

I did have to give up lechon kawali slathered in Mang Tomas though... :c sh-t's a heart attack on a plate.

Oh, and mayo. Sandwiches got a lot less tasty. :\
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I gave up eating like a 6'5" 250 pound man (I'm a 5'5" woman) - I now eat a reasonable 1500-1700 calorie day of whatever I want
    I gave up 30 minutes of sleep to get my butt our of bed in the morning to go to the gym

P.S. If someone would make it for me - I wouldn't give up Lumpia either!!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    The only thing, really, I gave up was living in denial about that I was ultimately in control of my weight.

Sure, I cut out sugar-y sodas and eating entire pizzas when I'm trying to cut calories. But anything I've stopped doing or lost was lost while saying "good riddance" to it. And I've gained such an awareness of my own body and what it needs.

I sacrificed spending $6/day on cigarettes -- GOOD RIDDANCE
    I sacrifice being lazy -- GOOD RIDDANCE
    I sacrificed high LDLs -- GOOD RIDDANCE
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Many people say not to deprive yourself of anything because in the end it will make you binge, but in my case if I don't stay away from certain things I binge anyways. I want to know what have you sacrificed for better health? Your weekly date night? Fast food? Drinks with the pals? Going to bed earlier and missing your favorite show? What did you give up and are you happy you did? I want to jear something motivational this morning!

only thing i sacrificed was quantity. now i eat the right portion size (or try to) and still enjoy everything. as for convenience foods (sandwich shops, mcds, bk, chick fila, etc) the times i eat these foods has dropped dramatically because i now bring my lunch to work and i either use the office gym or go for a run at lunchtime. still have date night and that i eat/drink whatever i want but instead of getting my own dessert we split or don't bother and a lot of times we'll share an app instead of getting our own.

over time i've just learned i cannot eat the quantity i was in the past or else i will jeopardize my health and i don't want to do that. My sister is now on high blood pressure meds because of her weight and her doctor has told her that yet she refuses to change her eating habits - same old excuses always. i never want this.

when i run in races i sacrifice my sleep and get up sometimes 3 hours before i'm supposed to so i can get my butt to the race. why because i love them.