Most obese city in the U.S. / April 7th 2014

Options
2»

Replies

• frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    When we went to Orlando on vacation, I was so grossed out by the amount of people I saw in motorized scooters getting around. Ugh.

I know…..unbelievable, whole families motoring around!
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I used to be a flight attendant...there were certain cities we would fly to that we would run out of seatbelt extensions routinely. Most flights we didn't use any so that is saying something.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Education and income levels play into obesity rates.

Based on a large national study, body mass index (or BMI, an indicator of excess body fat) was higher every year between 1986 and 2002 among adults in the lowest income group and the lowest education group than among those in the highest income and education groups, respectively (Truong & Sturm, 2005).

Wages were inversely related to BMI and obesity in a nationally representative sample of more than 6,000 adults – meaning, those with low wages had increased BMI as well as increased chance of being obese (Kim & Leigh, 2010).

Huntington WV…. Estimated median household income in 2011: $29,750,
    Estimated median income for a family in 2011: $34,756
    Estimated per capita income in 2011: $21,455

Boulder CO… Estimated median household income in 2011: $57,112
    Estimated median family income in 2011: $113,681
    Estimated per capita income in 2011: $37,600.

I know this is off topics, but...
    I had to Google the difference between "household income" and "family income" because I was surprised by the difference in the two for Boulder. Based on the definitions, shouldn't the household be higher than the family?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think Vancouver is a very fit Canadian city. Just like California. West coast is a fit area because of the nice weather. I've lived both places and on the east coast.
  • AirborneEd
    Options
    Your BMI is based on your height and weight. It's one way to see if you're at a healthy weight.

Underweight: Your BMI is less than 18

Healthy weight: Your BMI is 18.5 to 24.9

Overweight: Your BMI is 25 to 29.9

Obese: Your BMI is 30 or higher

WV: Your BMI is 600.
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options

Based on a large national study, body mass index (or BMI, an indicator of excess body fat) was higher every year between 1986 and 2002 among adults in the lowest income group and the lowest education group than among those in the highest income and education groups, respectively (Truong & Sturm, 2005).

Wages were inversely related to BMI and obesity in a nationally representative sample of more than 6,000 adults – meaning, those with low wages had increased BMI as well as increased chance of being obese (Kim & Leigh, 2010).

I had to Google the difference between "household income" and "family income" because I was surprised by the difference in the two for Boulder. Based on the definitions, shouldn't the household be higher than the family?

Median Household Income refers to all households which includes families, non-family households, single person households etc. Median Family Income refers to just families. Its not uncommon for the median family income to be substantially higher than the median household income, especially in places that have lots of singles and fewer families.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Median Household Income refers to all households which includes families, non-family households, single person households etc. Median Family Income refers to just families. Its not uncommon for the median family income to be substantially higher than the median household income, especially in places that have lots of singles and fewer families.

Ok, my brain wasn't working properly. I wasn't thinking in terms of median. Thanks for clarifying.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    When we went to Orlando on vacation, I was so grossed out by the amount of people I saw in motorized scooters getting around. Ugh.

And as Homer Simpson said about a scooter, "and here I have been walking around all this time like a loser"
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options

:noway: :noway: :noway:
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Based on what I see in Manhattan, the figure would be about 2% ! Every time I go there the gym is full by 6am!