Need opinion.... Not getting along with Gym go-ers

Options
13»

Replies

• becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I don't think the issue is who's at 'blame' here - it's what the OP should do.

Personally - I'd join a different gym - one that is bigger - with a bigger shower/bathroom area.

One bathroom is not enough - especially for women (and 30 minutes to get ready for work is NOTHING)!

This is a 'turf war' - and even if the OP wins this battle - chances are - another woman will decide to come to the gym at the same time as the OP - and there will be issues again..........
  • MissKriss3
    MissKriss3 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Survival of the fittest :smile:
  • SamanthaKayShaver
    SamanthaKayShaver Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I didn't see this as a turf war. I believe I've said 2 sentences to this woman and didn't realize the issues were to the extreme until the manager called me. I would gladly give up the bathroom after my shower if someone needed it. But she didn't knock or let me know that she needed it. It would suck doing my hair in the community bathroom/office at work, but i did cut all my hair off for the convenience of only having to spend 5 minutes on it. But 15/30 minutes is just a shower, getting dressed, deodorant and lotion. I doubt that 15 minutes will be appropriate about of time either.

I tried to work out 30 minutes earlier today to accommodate both our schedules, but did not get the outcome I had hoped for. (She was pounding on the door like a raving lunatic while I was showering) The hour left between finishing and when I had to be at work, was spent wasted on facebook in the parking lot. So i spoke to the manager about being refunded/let out of the last 5 months of my contract. I don't have an answer yet, but fingers crossed. Looked into the Y and Planet fitness today and ready to move past the whole situation.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Why does she want in the bathroom so badly??? Maybe she has some kind of intestinal issue?

I'd probably find a larger gym with more bathrooms. Maybe one that had a separate toilet/shower area.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Why does she want in the bathroom so badly??? Maybe she has some kind of intestinal issue?

I'd probably find a larger gym with more bathrooms. Maybe one that had a separate toilet/shower area.

Maybe she needs to shower and get dressed for work too.

OP: Either join another gym or suck it up and talk to her to try and work something out.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    In case you're stuck in your contract...

There is a gym just like yours in my building at work. There are 2 showers and 4 girls that regularly go in the morning, and they all discussed shower times that work for everyone's schedule. If another person starts coming, they'll have to rearrange it again but it seems to work out really well for them. Maybe you could ask her if she's willing to work out a shower schedule that works for both of you? She sounds like a real b!tch but maybe actually speaking to her (nicely of course) will change her attitude. Good luck!
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I didn't see this as a turf war. I believe I've said 2 sentences to this woman and didn't realize the issues were to the extreme until the manager called me. I would gladly give up the bathroom after my shower if someone needed it. But she didn't knock or let me know that she needed it. It would suck doing my hair in the community bathroom/office at work, but i did cut all my hair off for the convenience of only having to spend 5 minutes on it. But 15/30 minutes is just a shower, getting dressed, deodorant and lotion. I doubt that 15 minutes will be appropriate about of time either.

I tried to work out 30 minutes earlier today to accommodate both our schedules, but did not get the outcome I had hoped for. (She was pounding on the door like a raving lunatic while I was showering) The hour left between finishing and when I had to be at work, was spent wasted on facebook in the parking lot. So i spoke to the manager about being refunded/let out of the last 5 months of my contract. I don't have an answer yet, but fingers crossed. Looked into the Y and Planet fitness today and ready to move past the whole situation.
    I would feel uncomfortable knocking too - but since you've already gone out of your way to switch times to try and be accommodating the problem is her. Maybe the manager can sort something out otherwise I hope that you can get out of your contract.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    She sounds like a real b!tch

I honestly don't think the other woman sounds like a b!tch. I think the issue here is the fact that both women are using passive aggressive tactics to try and get what they want. You're both handling the situation rather immaturely IMO. Is the shower IN the bathroom or is it a separate stall? If it's a separate stall then I really don't understand why you can't pop in there and shower then when you're done let the other woman know and she can shower while you get dressed for work.

And then there's this:
    I tried to work out 30 minutes earlier today to accommodate both our schedules, but did not get the outcome I had hoped for. (She was pounding on the door like a raving lunatic while I was showering)

Did you not say the gym manager said they would let her know she needed to knock if you were in there first? She was probably pounding on the door because she heard the shower running and probably figured you couldn't hear over the water.

Seriously. Suck it up and talk to her and work something out.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'd try talking to her first. Tell her that you noticed that you needed the facilities at the same time, and find out if there is a compromise. Worst case: She's a massive $#$*&. Best case: You've made a new friend. If it's the worst case, either put your makeup on at work or find another gym.

Yep, I think every gym has someone who believes that the gym is their own private facility. If you chose this gym cause you think you'll work out there consistently, it is worth just talking to her.
  • SamanthaKayShaver
    SamanthaKayShaver Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    She gets to the gym right before I head to the bathroom so I really don't think it's a matter of our schedules clashing. She was still working out when I left the restroom before all the drama started. It sucks because it the only gym in town where I work. But I pass the YMCA on the way and Planet fitness is only about 10 minutes out of the way. Crossing my fingers!
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Just become shower buddies....problem solved.