How to be consistent with mfp

Options
Mfp is such a great app, it's really helpful when I'm using it, I especially like how it tracks calories + nutrition however, I never seem to be able to utilise it for more than a week or so, but keep picking it back up when feeling motivated, how do people stay consistent & are people recording every detail?

Replies

• jbugiel
    jbugiel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I log in every day, track my meals when I eat, like a habit, and I log in if only for a few mins at night to reply to folks posts, etc. Keeps me really motivated, which I am very happy about. I really want to succeed this time.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I have it set to my home page on my browser. I've hit over 1000 days in a row now.
  • hilousna08
    hilousna08 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Force yourself! Like everything else in life,a habit will be born! I try to post through out the day,but that is not always possible for me,so I be sure and do it before bed! :)
  • Jeanne130LBS
    Jeanne130LBS Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    MFP has become such an important part of my day that I wouldn't miss logging anymore than I wouldn't brush my teeth. I do get in a rut sometimes and eat the same things too many days in a row. I sit down to watch TV in the evening and log in every single thing I eat and it really helps me keep it real. I do go over my calories some days and under somedays. I find it fun to do. I have lost 10 lbs in 10 weeks. Doesn't sound like a lot but I feel great. :drinker:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem when I logged at Livestrong. I'd do it for a couple weeks and stop for long periods of time. I think the differences are that I'm more focused on losing now--I never weighed myself to monitor progress before, plus the logging is super easy here once you get the hang of it, plus--perhaps most important--the community. I know my friends are on my page, and that reminds me to check in, I know there are interesting threads to read. So long as I check in, I log.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    One of my MFP friends said the secret for her was pre-logging and I've heard others have had real success doing that, too. So now I've made logging the first thing I do each day on the computer and that seems to help give me a road map for the rest of the day. Also helps keep me accountable as I see how my nutrition is going throughout the day. Sometimes I have to do some alterations when my dinner choices change (like they did tonight) but it's easy to do.
  • Ken2Pam
    Ken2Pam Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I open mine up in a separate tab in my web browser, then set my browser to open a specific set of pages when it opens. That way it is in front of me all the time my browser is open, that makes it easy to update and easy to remember.
  • navymikejones
    Options
    I use it to plan my meals out in advance. This helps me stay within my numbers as well as shop. I stay active on the site for myself but it helps to have positive people pushing you. Add me if you need motivation!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I log breakfast on my way to work, lunch right before I eat it, and dinner right before too. I'm boring and eat a lot of the same things each day but that way I just use the quick tool function and copy yesterday's meals to today and adjust the quantity if I need to.

I think logging takes me a total of 5 minutes each day. It's worth it, try committing yourself to one month to start and see how it goes.
  • yuuen
    yuuen Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have it set to my home page on my browser. I've hit over 1000 days in a row now.
    Perfect idea.
  • skiextrm
    skiextrm Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I recently started pre-logging my next day's food the night before, mainly to make sure I pack the snacks I want so I don't get caught hungry during work on the road. I also asked for access to MFP on my work computer (as part of my Wellness routine). So it is pretty much close by and pops up on my favorites bar. It has become a habit and a sort of game for me. 53 day streak. I love doing it!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I also pre-log first thing in the morning while my coffee is brewing. I already own all the food I'm planning to eat, so it's a simple thing to enter it as I am making breakfast, packing my lunch, and looking to see what I want for dinner. At the end of the day, I look again before posting and change anything. I'm at over 665 now and I don't see any reason to stop logging just because I'm now in maintenance.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You stay consistent because you first plan, make it a priority in life, have a desire to stick with it---which no one can give you, and always keep trying and learning more and more to make better decisions in this process. You've got WANT to be consistent, enough where you are willing to do what it takes. We can't give you that desire or determination. That needs to be a part of you in your life. When you figure that out, you can accomplish so many things in life. Look to yourself, not others for things you need to do. You are your own best person. You are with yourself all day and night long, and you can't escape, good choices or bad choices---they are YOUR choices. Learn to depend on yourself---not spending time looking for others to do it for you.
  • dlbredesen
    dlbredesen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You just have to want it bad enough to do what it takes to get there. You can do it!!
  • 73Laine
    73Laine Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    300lbs
    You stay consistent because you first plan, make it a priority in life, have a desire to stick with it---which no one can give you, and always keep trying and learning more and more to make better decisions in this process. You've got WANT to be consistent, enough where you are willing to do what it takes. We can't give you that desire or determination. That needs to be a part of you in your life. When you figure that out, you can accomplish so many things in life. Look to yourself, not others for things you need to do. You are your own best person. You are with yourself all day and night long, and you can't escape, good choices or bad choices---they are YOUR choices. Learn to depend on yourself---not spending time looking for others to do it for you.
    [/quote]

wow this is a mouthful right here! i love it! very true!
  • Barnseyboy
    Barnseyboy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Really helpful posts, thank you, Maybe I too am about to start a 1000 day run!
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    After a year my question is how could I not. I remake and log most of tomorrows food. Keeps me nicely on track.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure what brings me back each day! I reckon my friends list is a big factor, though. I'm always keen to see how they are doing, and many are really encouraging and fun!

Plus it helps to be around so many people that have achieved their goals and can advise, or people on the same road as you. Once you start seeing results, the question then becomes "why stop what's working so well"

But mostly its the crazy friends!
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I agree with pre-logging...then I am less prone to changing my meal plan for the day. You can also set an alarm on your phone to remind you to log. I like the idea of what someone else said - to set it as your homepage on your browser. I think then you would feel guilty if you just skipped right over it! Good luck.
  • ransaka
    ransaka Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    .... I have lost 10 lbs in 10 weeks. Doesn't sound like a lot but I feel great. :drinker:

Actually, I'd argue that sounds like an ideal amount of weight loss for the period of time in question, rock on dude.