Telling professor about my bingeing?

Options
I've had worse binges in the past and I'm already seeing a counselor for help, but I binged today and yesterday about 8.000 calories!

I'm trying my best to stop it myself and wasn't able to reach my therapist these days but I have classes tommorow and am feeling so sick to the point of having food up my throat, so full...

I've missed two days in one of my classes and none in the other. In the first class, one day I emailed the professor I was sick and the next time (last Thursday) I didn't say anything. We have quizzes these days too, and I made up one of them already. If I miss tommorow I will have to go to him and ask him if I can make it up for sure. He will let me but I'm sure he will ask why I missed this week and last week.

I honestly don't think I should/can go, and feel even worse for flaking on my lab partner but I also don't want to sit there for 8 hours total and constantly have to go to the bathroom (sorry if tmi) and find something to wear (nothing fits me, literally).

If I tell him on Monday, how should I go about it? I'm not depressed, not bipolar, and. I don't want him to get the wrong idea or if he would even understand? Should I tell him that I'm going through some health problems and had to miss? It's obvious I've gained weight (like 30 lbs) from last semester I had him too. He's always been very nice but he is judge mental. He's Jewish, in his 50's, otherwise very smart and funny (cracks jokes often). I have him for 6 more weeks, and have b/w a high b and a in the class.

The last class I was just going to email the professor and tell him I'm sick, i haven't missed any days in that class and also have an a in it. Just the other class I'm worried about because I don't want to get a b (I won't if I make up the quiz) but I also don't want the professor/student relationship ruined, he's helped me a lot already.

Please help me!!! And again, already seeking prof help but got triggered today again :/
Thanks

Replies

• amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    What kind of idea did you get that this professor, who is interested in teaching his subject, would know or care anything about an eating disorder? What would you expect him to be able to even say? Just because he knows a lot about his area of expertise at your college, doesn't mean he is into anything like this. Why go in specifics? Maybe he doesn't even have time to listen to details of this problem of yours. Try to think of others too. Just come up with a brief medical reason for your absence. That's all that is necessary. He doesn't need to know all the details of your eating disorder. This is your problem that definitely needs a lot of work to solve. He's not the one to solve it, or give advice on it. How could he possibly do that? Does he study stuff like this? No He just cares if you can do the work necessary in the course. It's not high school where they send you to the guidance counselor.
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Did you take laxatives? I don't understand the instant bathroom problem or needing to be in the bathroom for 8 hours.
    I agree with Amy_kee not to go into details with your problem with the professor.
    You made a point to say he's Jewish, does that matter? I would go. Honestly it sounds like you're trying to avoid class and using the binging as an excuse to appease your mind.
  • ublanchard
    Options
    Professors, in my experience, and I went to about 8 years of higher ed, will accommodate health issues. They prefer to know about them in advance if possible, and for students to be proactive in addressing the issue. I think you should tell him you had to miss class because of an ongoing health issue and that you are getting treated for it and that you may have to miss future classes unexpectedly. You don't need to go into any details about it. Think of this as a professional relationship, not a friendly one. He might have a specific way that he wants to deal with it. Maybe he wants you to email him before a class you will miss, maybe he doesn't want that info and is way laidback, maybe he wants some official documentation.

Your school probably has some protocol for dealing with health issues, and they might be legally mandated depending upon where you are located. Your school's health center or office of student affairs or students with disabilities office can help advise. (I mention students with disabilities because it sounds like you are dealing with an eating disorder, which falls under the mental health aspect of that organization. I hope I haven't offended you with this assumption.)

What does your counselor think about you missing class because of your bingeing? They might have advice.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
  • ublanchard
    Options
    Actually, let me tweak my advice: if you decide tomorrow that you can't go to class, *definitely* email your professor because it seems like he'll notice. Then, later, go to his office hours to follow up with what he expects and what you need to do.
  • Noalikachka
    Options
    Did you take laxatives? I don't understand the instant bathroom problem or needing to be in the bathroom for 8 hours.
    I agree with Amy_kee not to go into details with your problem with the professor.
    You made a point to say he's Jewish, does that matter? I would go. Honestly it sounds like you're trying to avoid class and using the binging as an excuse to appease your mind.

It doesn't take laxatives to keep you in the bathroom for a whole day or two after a really bad binge. I never take laxatives and almost every time I binge nowadays I can count on having to spent major time in the bathroom.

TMI warning, I guess:
    You can get really painful bloating and gas and have to run to the bathroom over and over again because even if you don't have the runs, more than just gas can come out ;) The urgency is another huge factor as well and already a few times I have not made it to the bathroom on time. Binging can cause major abdominal discomfort (even back aches sometimes), especially if you already have some GI issue or if you also engage in other behaviors like starving that add to the trauma 'in there'. It can make you very lethargic, nauseous, headache-y; it can make your whole body ache and give you 'hot flashes' and sweats and all kinds of uncomfortable things. I have missed classes too because sometimes it's really not possible to go or to function/get anything out of it even if you are able to physically go.

To the OP -- binge eating disorder is a very real health issue and you should be able to get appropriate accommodation. It's good that you are already addressing it. I agree that you need to email or tell your professor about your health issues, but it doesn't need to be specific. Explaining that you have an eating disorder is specific enough and you don't even HAVE to say anything more than "health issue". I would highly recommend you to get some sort of supporting documents from your therapist and anyone else who is aware of your problem (your PCP, for example) so that you have some sort of "evidence" to back you up in case your professor or school requires it to verify the legitimacy of your issue. Another thing to look into is to see whether the student affairs department at your school has some sort of program in place to help students who require accommodation; I don't know exactly what qualifies, but it won't hurt to ask. If you are able to do that sort of thing, it could make it much easier to deal with any problems that arise out of it in the future.
  • azyzzam
    azyzzam Posts: 36
    Options
    Sorry guys, I meant that the classes total are 8 hrs long and I would have to go to the bathroom multiple times during them. I'm really not feeling good right now, my legs feel like they have tons of salt in them and I'm seriously bloated to the point of my skin hurting. Im not using excuses.

I didn't think he really cared but honestly wasn't sure how much in detail to go. If I do happen to miss, should I tell him that I'll see him about also missing last week in the email? And that I will see him in person on Monday after class during his office hrs that day? (He arrives at 8, then we have class, then he sticks around)

I'm really not sure how to phrase it, thank you so much.
  • azyzzam
    Options
    And you're right abt him noticing, there are four chairs per table and if I miss there will be an empty spot again. He also checks off our experiments
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    The only thing you need to tell your professor is that you are having some health problems and that is why you have been missing class. You don't need to go into detail about your health problems. Hopefully he will allow you to make up the missed classes. You already have a counselor to confide in, you don't need to confide in your professor.

It is good you are seeing a counselor about your issues. I am going to be honest, you really need to stop using your binging as an excuse why you can't go to class or live your life. We have all had bad days and feel terrible about ourselves. Get to class and focus on that.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Get yourself to class. Tell your Prof you will be leaving frequently for emergency bathroom breaks. Tell your lab partner that also. Do the very best you can. Perhaps a normal focus will help you in the long run.

Hope you feel better. :flowerforyou:
  • Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Get yourself to class. Tell your Prof you will be leaving frequently for emergency bathroom breaks. Tell your lab partner that also. Do the very best you can. Perhaps a normal focus will help you in the long run.

Hope you feel better. :flowerforyou:

^^^This. Best approach so far. Excellent.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    oh my god... this happens to me too! usually on weekends i binge (i had 7000 calories on Sunday due to being so hangover and miserable)
    On Monday i had some kind of presentation in my Chinese class. Before i used to skip classes when i binge the night before, because i felt sick and bloated and i would spend the day in my bed.
    But on Monday i forced myself to wake up early, i did feel gross in class and it was much harder than staying in bed but hopefully this will motivate me enough NOT to do it ever again!
    I suggest you do the same. It's not about punishing yourself, it's about realising how many aspects of your life are going to be worsened by bingeing.
    That day i haven't eaten until dinnertime, and by Tuesday i was fine.
    Best of luck to you!!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    What kind of idea did you get that this professor, who is interested in teaching his subject, would know or care anything about an eating disorder? What would you expect him to be able to even say? Just because he knows a lot about his area of expertise at your college, doesn't mean he is into anything like this. Why go in specifics? Maybe he doesn't even have time to listen to details of this problem of yours. Try to think of others too. Just come up with a brief medical reason for your absence. That's all that is necessary. He doesn't need to know all the details of your eating disorder. This is your problem that definitely needs a lot of work to solve. He's not the one to solve it, or give advice on it. How could he possibly do that? Does he study stuff like this? No He just cares if you can do the work necessary in the course. It's not high school where they send you to the guidance counselor.

I don't mean this to sounds insensitive, but this. If you are in college, you are an adult. Going into details about it won't help anything with your professor. He may require a doctor's note for missing so much and having to make things up, its all up to how they run their classes. This is not high school. You will have to take responsibility and own up to it or if you flake out again, it sends a negative message to him. Face the music, go to class, and excuse yourself when needed.
  • azyzzam
    Options
    So I'm going to go workout didn't starve myself had coffee and oats.

I think I'm going to suck it up and still go anyway.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Get up, get moving. Getting out of bed and being with people will help. My bingeing usually happened when I was by myself. Going to class may actually prevent you from doing it. Furthermore, at some point we all have to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and take responsibility for our own actions. It is far, far better to go to class and have to take multiple bathroom breaks than to miss an entire 8 HOUR class. You will be more caught up in the long run. Missing class because of your eating disorder only helps to perpetuate the disordered cycle. You feel bad for missing class, so you eat, then you feel gross for eating, then you miss class again. At some point you need to break a chain in the cycle, and it can start with going to class.

I messed up when I was in college the first time around for almost the exact same reasons. And, furthermore, while you say that you aren't depressed or bipolar.... even if you were, know that there is NOTHING wrong with asking for help. You are only harming yourself further by refusing to admit that something isn't quite right. Asking for help is the best way to fix things.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Whether you do go to class or not, it might still be an idea to let your professor know you are having some health issues, for future reference. You don't have to be specific. From my experience people are fine if you let them know something's going on, but can feel messed around if you consistently skip class or are late with assignments etc. Better to do it now than wait till you are in trouble. Not saying you will skip class in the future but if what your professor might be thinking is stressing you out then it might be worth addressing now before it becomes more of a problem, if you see what I mean. Am guessing you want to minimise the amount of stress in your life right now.
  • cholepapi
    cholepapi Posts: 79
    Options
    Oh my. I was fighting with an eating disorder too in my younger years. Sorry you have to go through that. Your professor doesn't need to know your issues except its a health issue.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I would not tell him - just tell him you have been ill or are having some health issues. People who don't have eating disorders don't understand - they think we just don't have willpower or can just "stop."

Stay positive- at least you are aware of your issues and are trying to deal with them. That is the first step. I've been battling binge eating for about 20 + years and am trying to learn new ways to dealt with triggers.I have never told anyone outside this forum that I am a binge eater - not even my grown kids or husband knows. I will never tell them either - well maybe one day when I can honestly say I have over come it.
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    Unless you're really close to your professor, don't tell them details of what's going on. Just say you have ongoing health problems that may force you to miss class unexpectedly, and that you're already working on a solution. If he's not satisfied with that you can take it to a higher authority in the school.

Also, does your school have an office to help disabled students? (Protip: if you're in the US they have one). Find it. Go there. I know "disability" sounds extreme, but trust me... even problems that are pretty minor can count. The office I worked at helped students with everything from dyslexia to broken ankles, migraines to anxiety. If you're seeing a counselor to help you deal with something, it probably counts. Ideally, you will explain what's going on to the people in that office, and then they can advocate for you with professors while keeping your private info private.
  • cholepapi
    cholepapi Posts: 79
    Options
    OMG. Your so right about that. If you have never had an eating disorder many will not understand. I hardly ever speak of it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    He's Jewish, in his 50's, otherwise very smart and funny (cracks jokes often).

Errr...what's wrong with being Jewish or in your 50's?

And honestly, I wouldn't go into details as someone said. You can let them know you are having personal issues but leave it at that and talk to your therapist about possibly having an alternative person/therapist they can refer you to if things escalate again and they are unavailable.

You can also check to see what support groups there are on campus/in your area and there is always the National Eating Disorders hotline and chat you can contact/use.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support