Telling professor about my bingeing?

Options

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It's the same as you would handle calling out sick with an employer. The full details of what you're going through is none of their business. You can let him know you're having some health problems and leave it at that. If the number of your absenses somehow puts you in violation, you may need to talk to someone higher up and/or provide a doctor's note as proof.

Glad you hear you're going to therapy!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Well, aside from the disturbing "He's Jewish but otherwise OK" statement...

DO tell him something is up. You don't have to go into details, but go see him and tell him you are having health issues. Most university counseling services will write or email a prof at your request if you are missing classes.

DO NOT just flake out/stop showing up without explanation. Stop that. It does not make us predisposed to help you. In fact, it lets us know that you do not think our time is worthwhile. If you stop showing up and then weeks later email to say "I've been having health issues" you will get an eye roll and an "F".
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Well, aside from the disturbing "He's Jewish but otherwise OK" statement...

DO tell him something is up. You don't have to go into details, but go see him and tell him you are having health issues. Most university counseling services will write or email a prof at your request if you are missing classes.

DO NOT just flake out/stop showing up without explanation. Stop that. It does not make us predisposed to help you. In fact, it lets us know that you do not think our time is worthwhile. If you stop showing up and then weeks later email to say "I've been having health issues" you will get an oy vey and an "F".

FIFY
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    And as others above have stated -- pick yourself up, brush off, and get back into your routine. You cannot avoid life when you fall off the wagon or you will be living life on the sidelines. It's OK to mess up and make mistakes. It doesn't make you a bad person - you have your whole life ahead of you. It's a tough, up-hill battle but you can make it!!
  • sjohnny
    Options
    When you go talk to him you might want to take a little nosh for him. Maybe a bagel or something. I hear "those people" like that kind of thing.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Definitely a responsibility issue. If you are unable to meet your commitments, you'll need to be honest about that (although I think you should keep the details private!).
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I am a college professor. Unless they are looking for help, I do not like it when students overindulge in their personal lives. It comes off as an excuse to get special treatment and free passes for not handling their responsibilities. If you are missing class and you need to make up assignments, you need to provide a note from a medical professional. Otherwise, you are just asking your professor to make exceptions for you. I tell my students that college is not only a place to learn but it is also 'dress rehearsal' for your real job. Most companies would not allow you to miss days for binge eating. If you are not actively seeking help for your condition, you can't expect your professors to help you by allowing you to miss assignments and class. You have to get help. Most colleges and universities offer free counseling and/or referral programs for students. Please seek help immediately for your eating issues. Your health and education are at risk.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If I could slam 8000 calories I'd go on the competitive eating circuit - screw college!
  • tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I am a college professor. Unless they are looking for help, I do not like it when students overindulge in their personal lives. It comes off as an excuse to get special treatment and free passes for not handling their responsibilities. If you are missing class and you need to make up assignments, you need to provide a note from a medical professional. Otherwise, you are just asking your professor to make exceptions for you. I tell my students that college is not only a place to learn but it is also 'dress rehearsal' for your real job. Most companies would not allow you to miss days for binge eating. If you are not actively seeking help for your condition, you can't expect your professors to help you by allowing you to miss assignments and class. You have to get help. Most colleges and universities offer free counseling and/or referral programs for students. Please seek help immediately for your eating issues. Your health and education are at risk.

+1. Former adjunct here. And please consider the impact on your lab partner. Depending on how much material you have already missed, you may want to consider withdrawing or requesting an incomplete for the class. Your health must be your priority. Please get well.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If I could slam 8000 calories I'd go on the competitive eating circuit - screw college!

Overeating can be an actual eating disorder and not just a compulsion/disordered eating thing. And if someone is suffering on the binge and purge side of things, then it makes it worse.

It's not something to aim for or joke about.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options

+1. Former adjunct here. And please consider the impact on your lab partner. Depending on how much material you have already missed, you may want to consider withdrawing or requesting an incomplete for the class. Your health must be your priority. Please get well.

+2
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options

Harsh and judgemental much?

She is getting help, didn't you read her post?

I am so glad my school was more understanding than you appear to be, otherwise I would not have survived my ED.

And school is school, it is not real life, nor is it a job. An employee is paid, a student is the one paying. Big difference.

Plus most employers actually have empathy for mental health problems. And (in the UK at least) there are discrimination laws about it too - so yes, you would be able to take time off a job if you are having mental health problems.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I am so glad my school was more understanding than you appear to be, otherwise I would not have survived my ED.

And school is school, it is not real life, nor is it a job. An employee is paid, a student is the one paying. Big difference.

Plus most employers actually have empathy for mental health problems. And (in the UK at least) there are discrimination laws about it too - so yes, you would be able to take time off a job if you are having mental health problems.

I think you took that really really wrong. She wasn't belittling the OP but advising her how to handle it and why. And yes, there is empathy for those suffering from an illness, but as she said above, provide a note.

Feigning an illness to avoid taking responsibility for missed work (whether school or a job) is not new and which is why oversharing tends to lead to suspicion and why it's recommended to just bring "proof" and keep explanations short unless they ask and you feel comfortable sharing.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

Overeating can be an actual eating disorder and not just a compulsion/disordered eating thing. And if someone is suffering on the binge and purge side of things, then it makes it worse.

It's not something to aim for or joke about.

Seriously.

ETA. OP, you've gotten some great advise here. Explain your absences, but don't go into detail. And I agree that it may be better if you try to get back to normal and attend if you can. Pick yourself back up and I hope you're able to get back on track with your therapist.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

Not harsh or judgemental. I think this poster missed the part about OP seeking professional help but what she's saying is true and doesn't invalidate mental illnesses. If you are missing assignments or exams, you should be required to bring in a doctors note excusing your absence just as you would for a medical illness.

Edited to add that school is "real life". Why should the professor allow her to make up exams/quizzes or assignments without legitimate proof explaining her absence (a doctors note, not TMI from OP herself)?

You may be able to take time off of work for mental health issues but it doesn't change the fact that you would need proof from a doctor as opposed to just an employees word.
  • etscher
    etscher Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am a lecturer at a university, and I like to think that my students can tell me anything if they are looking for help. However, there is a point when oversharing can be inappropriate. In your case, I would let him know that you have been having health issues, and had to miss class (if you feel like you need to apologize for absences, which usually you really don't need to do).

Then, if you see a counselor or your health clinic on campus, have them provide a written note saying that you were not able to attend class for health reasons, but nothing more.

A lot of students see a need to explain themselves, but missing a few classes won't really hurt you, especially if you have a good track record with this professor already. Personally, I feel uncomfortable as the teacher when students divulge too much personal information to me when they are apologizing for absences.

Most people understand that everyone goes through emotional difficulties, and he should understand; but I wouldn't tell him too many details.
  • ublanchard
    Options
    Sorry guys, I meant that the classes total are 8 hrs long and I would have to go to the bathroom multiple times during them. I'm really not feeling good right now, my legs feel like they have tons of salt in them and I'm seriously bloated to the point of my skin hurting. Im not using excuses.

I didn't think he really cared but honestly wasn't sure how much in detail to go. If I do happen to miss, should I tell him that I'll see him about also missing last week in the email? And that I will see him in person on Monday after class during his office hrs that day? (He arrives at 8, then we have class, then he sticks around)

I'm really not sure how to phrase it, thank you so much.

8 hours is a long time for a class! Is it a lecture portion plus a lab portion in which students work independently? OK, it sounds like you need a script. I'll tell you what I have said and heard other people say. Just let the professor know before class, especially if there is a lecture portion, because that can be distracting for professors. So before the class starts, approach the professor and say, "I am feeling ill and I will probably have to leave a few times during class." You can add that you're not contagious. When you do leave class to use the restroom, try to be unobtrusive.

After class if you want to talk about the classes you missed and ones that you might miss in the future say something like, "I missed class last week because of a health problem that I am getting treated for. I might miss class in the future too because of it. What I do need to make up for the material and coursework that I miss?" So keep it direct but not overly detailed, and focus on being a good student and keeping up with class. Show that you're not looking for a pass or to be excused from what is expected of you.

I'll add that I have never dealt with ed so I have no idea what it's like but I think this approach works for a lot of other health concerns like migraines and the flu. I wish you success in your education and your recovery. :smile:
  • azyzzam
    azyzzam Posts: 36
    Options
    So I did end up going to class, it actually 2 classes! I went to the one I didn't want to go to and am at the 5:00-9:30 one right now waiting till it starts. I walked in a little late and should have told the professor because he did joking comment on me being tardy but I just said hi (late reaction). My lab partner also ditched me today but she's here for my next class.

I would never use it as an excuse to miss class and I wasn't trying to 'confide' in him but I just wasn't sure how much to tell him. Lol @ all the Jewish comments, the only reason I mentioned that was to add details, I guess it wasn't really neccessary. I really have nothing against Jewish people, in fact I have a lot of Jewish fairness and one ex.
  • azyzzam
    azyzzam Posts: 36
    Options
    Also thank you!
  • sjohnny
    Options
    So I did end up going to class, it actually 2 classes! I went to the one I didn't want to go to and am at the 5:00-9:30 one right now waiting till it starts. I walked in a little late and should have told the professor because he did joking comment on me being tardy but I just said hi (late reaction). My lab partner also ditched me today but she's here for my next class.

I would never use it as an excuse to miss class and I wasn't trying to 'confide' in him but I just wasn't sure how much to tell him. Lol @ all the Jewish comments, the only reason I mentioned that was to add details, I guess it wasn't really neccessary. I really have nothing against Jewish people, in fact I have a lot of Jewish fairness and one ex.

"Some of my best friends are Jewish. I even dated one....once. I've seen Fiddler like seven times. "