Healthy Milkshake?

Options
2»

Replies

• iluvmpiche
    Options
    My first tip would be to avoid the milk and use almond milk instead. WAY less calories, tastes pretty much the same if you get unsweetened, which is what I use. If you need flavor, get chocolate or vanilla. Both are delicious (and guilt-free IMO).

My second tip is to think smoothie, not milkshake. I have milkshake cravings ALL the time, but I tell myself that it's fatty-fat-fat. Instead, this is what I blend:

1 banana
    1 handful blueberries
    1 handful strawberries (which is like 3 or 4 medium-large sized)
    1C almond milk
    ---- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder if working out. Don't add extra protein if you're not working out.
    BLEND! Makes two servings, so share the goodness. 166.5 CALORIES! (+184 cal if using the whey protein powder).
    SUPER DUPER FILLING!

I make it a habit NOT to drink my calories, but sometimes you need that treat, and sometimes you don't have time to make breakfast.

If you want a chocolatey milkshake, try blending chocolate almond milk with a banana. Delicious <3
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    It's more of a smoothie, but if you blend it enough you can convince yourself it's a milkshake. Cup of milk, cup of ice, 2 tbsp peanut butter, 1.5-2 tsp cocoa powder, 2 tsp sugar.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    If you really like the thickness, a couple of options to use ase:
    greek yoghurt in place of milk
    protein powder
    a pinch of xanthan gum
    frozen banana (this is awesome and eliminates the need for additional sweeteners)

My go to breakfast a lot of the time (albeit a smoothie not a shake) is a serve of chobani greek yoghurt, half a banana (frozen), 100g of frozen blueberries (or other berries), and a scoop of vanilla whey. Top it off with a splash of water to allow it to blend.

Macros are around 40P / 25C / 3F (and with 5g Fibre). Nothing wrong with that to start the day!

Raw cacao is also awesome to have around, and works great in shakes (high in fibre and antioxidants and no sugar that you get in cocoa).
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I love milkshakes too and have found that since I started making smoothies, my desire to drink ice cream-based milkshakes has disappeared.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    300G frozen bananas
    1 scoop choc protein
    some cinnamon
    enough water (or milk) so that your blender can handle it

(peanut butter also goes well)
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    ok , we call this what???? is in that shake

all clock in right around 200 cals

it is
    1 scoop vanilla protein
    2 oz frozen strawberries,
    water and splash of milk(if desired)
    1tsp SF strawberry jello
    blend with more ice
    its wonderfull, and gives a very very good "strawberry shake" experience

also love Jamocha shakes(yeah you have to plan ahead)
    4 frozen ice cubes of coffee
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1/2 c skim milk
    1T chocolate syrup ( dont bother with SF its NASTY)
    blend with ice

VOILA peanut butter chocolate ban. shake
    frozen 1/2 banana
    1 scoop chocolate protein
    ice and water to blend
    sub chocolate syrup for PB2
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    A few bananas and some almond milk in a blender. A little bit of cinnamon, some vanilla.
  • 1948sixty
    1948sixty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've made the switch to almond milk and it makes delicious smoothies...1 cup almond milk, handful of spinach, protein powder, frozen blueberries, splash of agave nectar.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I personally cut up a medium sized banana and freeze it. Once frozen I put it in the blender with a serving of unsweetened almond milk, a serving of PB2, and a serving of sugar free chocolate syrup (can be subbed for choco protein powder if you use it). I sometimes use unsweetened frozen cherries instead of banana if I want a chocolate covered cherry "milkshake".
    I do something similar to this. I use frozen bananas, almond milk, almond butter, cocoa powder and raw cocoa nibs. It's amazing and low in calories.
  • taradunkley1
    taradunkley1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My fav is strawberry, blueberry smoothie my kids thinks it taste like sherbet ice cream! 1 cup frozen blueberries, 1 cup fresh strawberries, 1cup low fat vanillia yogurt 1 cup small or crushed ice cubes and 1handful of spinach. try it it's delicious????????
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Some really great suggestions here, just remember: You don't need to "give up" any foods or feel guilty. Just work it into your goals and enjoy it. You won't last long sticking to such a restrictive diet. Your mental health needs the occasional treat.
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    Okay, okay- my favorite "treat" is 300 calories:

half a bag of the yoplait banana-chocolate yogurt smoothie mix - 90 calories
    1 scoop of my lean protein powder- chocolate flavor (it's a 100 calorie powder, I have higher calorie powder for other stuff)
    1 cup of dark chocolate almond milk (the one I have is 100 cal per cup but some are more or less)

I kid you not it tastes amazing. Like ice cream.

Also, another thing I love for breakfast:

serving of frozen strawberries or mixed berries
    1 cup of organic sambazon acai juice blend
    1/2 a frozen banana

Also incredible, but really fruity and refreshing. Around 260 cal I think. Sometimes I experiment with greek yogurt and other stuff with the fruit...it's all so tasty.
  • jan092284
    jan092284 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was going to mention this site. They are AMAZING