Use Stevia as a sugar substitute. You wont regret it.

Options
Bought some for the first time and its ridiculous. Just put a tiny bit on a tsp and I mean tiny and the tea was too sweet.

On the container it states 1/16'th of a tsp = 2 tsp sugar and 1 1/2 tsp = 1 cup of sugar.

That little bit is all you need.

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Yes very sweet. I have some growing plus have some stevia powder and drops. I don't really use it much but I love to try everything at least once.
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I have a sirup wich uses stevia instead of sugar or some other sweetener and love it.
    Cause drinking only water and coffee doesn't work for me

What syrup is it?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    By drops I meant it is a liquid syrup form that you squeeze and it come out in little droplettes since it's so sweet. My brand is Hermesetas. You can buy it in the supermarket next to the other sweeteners.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Yes Stevia is reported to be up to 300 times sweeter than sugar lol.

I've been using Natvia which contains stevia in it, with Erythritol. And it looks and tastes pretty much the same as sugar but is really low cal. I can use 1 tsp of it the same as I would sugar.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I understand some have medical reasons or even preference reasons for substituting sugar, but I've never understood why real sugar needs a substitute for anyone else. I put real sugar on my porridge as Stevia and other sweeteners just doesn't taste the same. At only 15 cals a tsp, it's not going to break the bank.
  • eyleene
    eyleene Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    unfortunately for me i just cant handle the taste . i use saccharin instead .
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I understand some have medical reasons or even preference reasons for substituting sugar, but I've never understood why real sugar needs a substitute for anyone else. I put real sugar on my porridge as Stevia and other sweeteners just doesn't taste the same. At only 15 cals a tsp, it's not going to break the bank.

I agree, I prefer the taste of sugar.
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I use the stuff you can get for baking somettimes, it's said to be the same sweetness as sugar, but I usually don't need quite as much. It tastes slightly sweeter than sugar.
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love it! I like everything extra sweet, so it's never just a 15 calorie teaspoon for me. Zero calorie sweeteners are the only way to go for me but I HATE the chemicals in the artificial sweeteners. There is nothing in those things that I can pronounce. So I gave Stevia a try and I'm hooked. It has the yummy sweetness I crave, zero calorie and I can grow it in my back yard. It doesn't really get more natural than that! If you're like me and can't or won't do sugar, give Stevia a whirl. OP is correct, you won't regret it.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I actually got disappointed... it tastes like liquorice :frown:
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Bought some for the first time and its ridiculous. Just put a tiny bit on a tsp and I mean tiny and the tea was too sweet.

On the container it states 1/16'th of a tsp = 2 tsp sugar and 1 1/2 tsp = 1 cup of sugar.

That little bit is all you need.

Unless you have low blood sugar in general ... then the awesomeness of the calories is offset by the tunnel vision, dizziness and fainting. But if you are diabetic, you are golden with this stuff!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I would be more interested in a substitute that isn't sweeter than sugar. All the sweeteners are in packets equivalent to 2 teaspoons of sugar and I have to pour out half a packet at a time. It's annoying.

Don't get me wrong, I understand some have medical reasons or even preference reasons for substituting sugar, but I've never understood why real sugar needs a substitute for anyone else. (...) At only 15 cals a tsp, it's not going to break the bank.
    I drink 6-10 cups of tea throughout the day. If I used real sugar, that would be 100-150 calories wasted on something that brings no satiety or nutrients other than carbs. No thanks.
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm hooked on it too. I go through a ton of tea, iced and hot, and use the liquid stevia drops for that (from health food store). I use the powdered stuff in my plain greek yogurt. With as much tea as I drink and as much greek yogurt as I eat, that would be a lot of calories from regular sugar.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I would be more interested in a substitute that isn't sweeter than sugar. All the sweeteners are in packets equivalent to 2 teaspoons of sugar and I have to pour out half a packet at a time. It's annoying.

Don't get me wrong, I understand some have medical reasons or even preference reasons for substituting sugar, but I've never understood why real sugar needs a substitute for anyone else. (...) At only 15 cals a tsp, it's not going to break the bank.
    I drink 6-10 cups of tea throughout the day. If I used real sugar, that would be 100-150 calories wasted on something that brings no satiety or nutrients other than carbs. No thanks.

If they have Natvia over there I'd recommend that. It's the closest I have tasted to the real thing.
  • an0nemus
    an0nemus Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Isn't stevia full of Ricin?

(sorry...I can't think of stevia without thinking of breaking bad...)
  • boombalatty123
    boombalatty123 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It is the best of the substitutes, but I prefer to use the real stuff.