Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    2-3 hours.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It depends. Anywhere from 45-90 minutes, depending upon volume and intensity.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Home Gym - about 65 - 90 minutes a day; 6 days a week.

Weights - 3 times a week - about 35 minutes per session.....

The rest - cardio.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    35-40 mins 4 days/week
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    35-40 mins 4 days/week

This, but 5 days sometimes
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Usually 45 minutes for strength training. That is almost all workout time, short breaks between sets, no socializing or prancing in front of the mirror.
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I get 45 minutes in before work 4 days a week and try and find time for 90 minutes on either a Saturday or Sunday, which don't happen often!!
  • coolblondenerd
    coolblondenerd Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I do the gym about three times a week for an hour:

Warm Up: 5 minutes
    Cardio: 20-25 minutes (but I make it intense)
    Strength: 20 minutesish (I go by reps rather than time)
    Cool Down: 5 minutes

I generally go to the gym for 7 am, because I like having my workout out of my way for the rest of the day. The rest of the week I do workout DVDs because they give me an intense workout in under an hour.
  • jenniferreed02
    Options
    You may look into options outside of the gym. We are a bit more lucky than most because we intentionally bought our house because it backs up to a huge park/recreation facility. So we have a walking track, bike trails, and an indoor pool to use practically in our backyard. But there are other things you can do at home - we use the interval training app on our iphones to run in our neighborhood a few times a week. We also put a tv and dvd player in the garage and do insanity circuit workouts in there a few times a week. We don't have cable tv but instead have an HTPC in the living room and I can access any youtube training video on there, like pilates for instance. This is easier because we usually go workout while dinner is cooking, depending on what we are making. Way more convenient. You could also purchase home gym equipment second hand for cheaper than a years worth of gym memberships. Just thought I would mention it because traveling to and from the gym, waiting on machines, etc. would definitely not be the route I would take after a 12 hour shift.

Kudos to you for putting in the effort after such a long day - I am not sure I could do it!!
  • DWW529
    DWW529 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My time is extremely limited as a married father of two with a full time job, etc. I work out at lunch most days and I'm able to knock it out in about 35-40 minutes. I make sure I go in with a plan and make efficient use of my time. I do weights M,W,F and HIIT on T,Th. On saturday, I do a long(ish) run or eliptical or some sort of straight cardio for a longer period of time and on Sunday I rest. it seems to be working for me. As some folks said, everyone is different. Find what works for you. Once your new job starts and you adjust, you'll figure it out. Good luck.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    60 - 90 minutes usually, mostly cardio. It can be as short as 45 minutes when I do strength but I usually try and add some cardio in too. But I do take my time sometimes... atm I have a lot of spare time, going to the gym helps fill that, and it's generally empty so I get the TV to myself while I workout too lol.

If I push it I do it all in 45 minutes to an hour and get a great workout.
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    40-60 minutes, 4 times a week. No cardio at the moment.
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You only need to exercise 30 minutes 5 days a week - well, that's a recommendation.

However, you can lose weight without exercise. I would adjust to your new schedule with 30 minutes of working out and add more time as you go.

If you like cardio, do cardio. If you like to lift, lift. If you work out 5 x a week, do about half and half on cardio and lifting.

Make sure your protein and fat is high enough to keep you satisfied throughtout your long days.

Nutrition makes us lean - exercise makes us fit. :smile:
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    35 to 40 minutes as a rule, usually just lifting if I have an hour I will do a bit of cardio but as far as I am concerned I get that walking my dogs!

I am getting enough of a workout in to be pretty broken afterwards. As a rule I ramp up the reps before I up the weight so I can keep my rests a little shorter so for instance I do currently 8 reps per set at 27.5kg bench press, next time I will go for 9 reps. I also make use of supersets to get efficient use of my time. Glute bridges followed by rows type thing. I was doing 5x5 but to keep increasing my weights I got to the point where my rests were taking well over half my gym time so I switched it up a bit.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm in and out, no messing around. I generally work out for about 30 minutes, 3 days a week. I try to walk on the days I don't go to the gym. Usually half cardio and half weight training. I work hard and don't mess around with my phone/ipod/etc.

I do a few quick stretches, then I jump on the elliptical for 10-15 minutes, then do weights for 15 minutes, and then do cooldown stretches and/or 5 minutes on treadmill (2.5 mph).
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm in the gym 4-5 days a week. 30 minutes cardio every session (down from 45-50 minutes when I first started out) and then every other day I do 1 hour of weights/resistance. So basically 60-90 minutes per session depending on the day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My lifting program emphasizes compound lifts and I have very little in the way of accessory work and "fluff" so I usually knock it out in about 45 minutes.

Occasionally I will throw in some fluff and it'll take me longer, but my base program is pretty much in and out.
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Usually about 30-40 minutes 5-6 days a week. I rarely (if ever) do cardio and weights on the same day. But I take short rest breaks, bring water with me, and generally have all my weights nearby (since I switch for various exercises) so the amount of time I spend not actually involved in a workout is pretty minimal.
  • martineyes26
    martineyes26 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 30-90 mins. M-F. Weekends I do P90x at home. Now that the weather is nicer, I try to do my cardio outside, during lunch and/or right after work. (Walk the dog). When I go to the gym it's to lift weights and focus on a particular muscle group then sometimes get in another 15 mins of cardio at the end if I feel I need it.
  • MRSpivey
    MRSpivey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from three hours (hard after it with a partner) to four hours (if social chat creeps in) a day for three days a week (usually Monday, Thursday, and Saturday) and it includes cardio. You may wonder why so long... Total body workout with weights (30 stations) and 30 minutes of cardio on Treadmill.