Diet pop

Options

Replies

• 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I quit diet soda 6 months ago because I won't be able to have it after surgery next month.
    I used to drink 3-4 cans of diet coke or pepsi a day.
    I felt a lot better and got more sleep once I stopped, but that was probably due to the new lack of constant caffeine.
    I've had a migraine problem since I was 13, and while I was only having one 1-3 times a month at the time (manageable) they went away entirely when the soda did.
    Last month I had maybe half of my boyfriend's diet pepsi in the car because I hadn't though to bring water, and 4 hours later I had a migraine (with an aura). They next day, I had another (ANOTHER aura) that lasted all day. I don't know what it was about the soda (I don't think it's just the caffeine, caffeine is actually supposed to help migraines and I still have coffee) but it made me feel like crap. Bloated and whatnot. Probably since I had dropped my tolerance of it.
    But that's very specific to me, and while I was drinking it every day the difference in how I felt was minimal. Now, though, I can probably never go back to it for all the reasons above.

That's my little story >> Sorry it got long.
    I like Sobe and Vitamin water so far as flavored drinks go. And crystal light for mixers c:

Caffeine is one of the most common migraine triggers (it makes them go away temporarily, but then causes rebound headaches. Viscous cycle!) but seeing as you drink coffee, it's probably the aspartame (also a common trigger in people with migraines) in diet soda that triggers migraines. I get them, but when I cut out both caffeine and aspartame, I still got them, so I might as well continue on with my Coke Zeros.

I had to quit because of aspartame and probably caffeine too even though they use caffeine to treat my migraines when I go to the ER and that kills them and they don't come back so I'm thinking aspartame. I miss diet Mtn Dew.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have a few every week, mostly for mixing, Captain and diet root beer is epic in my book.

Rigger

I was always big on Captain and Diet Dr. Pepper.

Want to try!
  • cchew686
    cchew686 Posts: 108
    Options
    Adults with any symptoms which may or may not be due to aspartame do not have PKU.
    PKU is a rare genetic disease which must be treated by a very strict diet from infancy onwards - or major intellectual disability occurs.
    Adults don't have it unknowingly.

And you beat me to it regarding PKU. I was going to also point out that it is by no means only diet pop. Phenylalanine in present in soooo many different food products "such as meat, chicken, fish, eggs, nuts, cheese, legumes, milk and other dairy products" according to the Mayo Clinic. And starchy foods too. I did a report on it in 10th grade honors Biology. It's a rough disease, but fortunately they do screen for it.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it hardly ever. Maybe once every couple weeks. The carbonation makes me feel bloated and all I hear is how bad it is for you. I prefer tea,water or flavored water anyway.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I see so many people struggling to quit drinking soda. I'm thankful I didn't grow up with it. When I was a kid, my mom only gave me soda when I had a stomach bug, so I grew to associate the taste with feeling nauseated. As an adult, the only time I ever drank it was when pregnant (helped with morning sickness) and when hungover. Now that I'm 95% off processed sugar (I think I ate a cookie last week...can't remember), sodas taste way too sweet. I've never gotten used to artificial sweeteners, either. They leave a weird aftertaste that stays with me for hours. So....THANK YOU MOM for not making sodas a routine part of life when I was a kid.

:smile:

That's funny....we very rarely had soda growing up also and I think that's parlty why I can go without with no problems!
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    That stuff is poison, haven't touched the stuff in years.
  • bigmamabird
    bigmamabird Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I usually have one or two diet sodas a week. I don't keep them in the house and only have them when I go to the In-law's or a restaurant.
  • sclarkee
    sclarkee Posts: 1
    Options
    I had to switch to the new diet caffeine free coke that is out because the caffeine was really bothering me. I drink maybe 1-3 a day plus a lot of green tea that is caffeine free and water. After the first mouth I felt great and had more energy in the early morning when I work and had less stomach problems,
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I drink it. I have probably 1 or 2 a day (maybe) in the evenings mostly with dinner.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Aspartame = early death.
    My mom's 88 as of this month, my dad 81 and both been drinking diet soda daily since the 70's. Personally I've been drinking it over 25 years now. I like my chances.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Aspartame = early death.

Aspartame = a dipeptide between amino acids phenylalanine and aspartate. Something that exists in any slab of meat.
    He believes meat will kill you too.

IDEA Fitness member
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I've had one Diet Coke (20 oz) this year. Now into ice water, green tea, sun tea and VitaRain Zero (Costco). Cravings are way down now :drinker:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Unrelated issue with diet sodas - my dentist says they're much worse on your enamel than regular soda and if I intend to continue drinking them, it's important to use a mouthwash that restores enamel.
    Really? They both contain phosphoric/and or citric acid so why would one be worse on teeth than the other. Personally I've never had a problem with my enamel according to all my dental check ups. But I do have very decent oral hygiene (floss daily and brush after every meal).

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    That stuff is poison, haven't touched the stuff in years.
    Waiting to see the list of people who have succumbed to aspartame poisoning.

IDEA Fitness member
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Unrelated issue with diet sodas - my dentist says they're much worse on your enamel than regular soda and if I intend to continue drinking them, it's important to use a mouthwash that restores enamel.
    Really? They both contain phosphoric/and or citric acid so why would one be worse on teeth than the other. Personally I've never had a problem with my enamel according to all my dental check ups. But I do have very decent oral hygiene (floss daily and brush after every meal).

IDEA Fitness member

Regular coke has a pH of 2.52 while diet has a pH of 3.28.

So in fact, diet soda is actually a tiny bit better on your teeth than regular soda, but not anything significantly.

This thread is full of people who are spreading things they heard from somewhere else that are terribly inaccurate (not you).
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Diet Pepsi. Once or twice a week.
  • brenran
    brenran Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have cut back to 1 a day, and I require myself to have half of my water for the day before I drink it...
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I drink them if we go out and occasionally at work if I just really have to have something other than water and/or green tea. Maybe 1-2 a week tops?
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    If you want to consider getting off the pop as part of your diet here is what I would suggest that I think is a healthy way to approach it.

Make sure you drink 8 cups of water every day. Do NOT count diet pop towards that number.

Unless you make a point to drink that much anyways you might find it hard to drink 8 cups of water a day at which point the idea of drinking even more fluid might turn you off to pop just in and of itself. If you can drink 8 cups of water a day AND have a pop I think that's fine really.
    Why does soda not count toward your hydration needs?

snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
  • adriadawn19
    adriadawn19 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If I am going to drink soda I would rather have the real stuff. I rarely drink it though, maybe 8 oz every 3 or 4 months. This is also coming from somebody who used to drink like 4 or 5 cups a day..