Diet pop

Options
12346»

Replies

• bridgetcullett
    Options
    I have never been a big pop drinker, but when I have it, its diet. My doctor did recommend cutting it out of my and my husband's diets to help with blood pressure,due to the amount of sodium in it.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Used to drink tons of it. Diet Pepsi .. but now, almost never.

That **** is full of **** and just better to limit consumption. End of Story.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    1 can of Diet Coke per week usually, maybe 2

In my soda prime, I used to drink 4-5 regular Cokes per day. At 39gs of sugar per can, I was guzzling my way to type II diabetes and tooth decay...
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I average probably one Coke Zero a day. It actually curbs my cravings because it's almost a treat to me.
  • Tuesday4422
    Tuesday4422 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I love Dr. Pepper 10. Usually 1-2 a day
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I drink it occasionally. Say 1 or 2 a week (Coke Zero and Sunkist or A&W 10). Diet soda is not the enemy despite what some may say here.

It is if you want to quit drinking it and can't.
    The point is, there's really no reason to quit beyond a personal preference. And "quitting" sodas isn't really that hard. In most cases it's a matter of caffeine, which really has nothing to do with soda at all, as they could switch to coffee or tea.

MY point is I often see people saying "oh, I have to quit drinking soda but it's so hard! I've cut back but I love it SOOO much and I want more!" I was a pack-a-day smoker for 15 years and I know the hell of quitting an addiction. I'm not suggesting soda is anything like nicotine but the "it's so hard to quit" refrain sure sounds familiar. I'm just glad it never became an issue for me thanks to my parents.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    "aspartame (also a common trigger in people with migraines) in diet soda that triggers migraines."

Why would protein trigger migraines? Caffeine sure as it manipulates blood flow and vascular constriction but not sure how protein would effect migraines. Do you have a source for that?

My neurologist. I'm not anti-aspartame, I'm just saying if you're a person who gets migraines, it can be a trigger. So can cheese. And apples. And yeast, apricots, lunch meats.... And a whole slew of other things.

+1. I suffer from terrible vestibular migraines and my neurologist told me the same thing.
  • adaybetter
    adaybetter Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I drink a 2 liter of diet whatever everyday. I have about 10, 2liters and 6 cases in the fridge right now. All i want to do is eat sugary stuff. Drinking these stops that. Their like snacks for me. Love them and cant see giving them out
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge soda person in general but when I do it's going to be the diet stuff. I used to drink it more often and got used to the taste. When I do drink regular it tastes WAY too sweet for me and rarely do I finish a can. And if I'm drinking it at all, that's only if there is nothing else available and I'm that desperately thirsty (my recent diabetes diagnosis also makes regular soda even more of a thing to avoid even if I did want it.)

Every couple of weeks when going out with friends I have one cocktail, usually a Malibu/Diet Coke, then switch to water or plain Diet soda for the rest of the evening. Last time I accidentally just said "Coke" instead of Diet, took one sip and was like, holy crap!
  • Karababy51
    Karababy51 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 6-8 20 oz. bottles or more of regular soda per day. I lost ALL my upper teeth and all but three of my lower molars because of it and now wear an upper dental plate. When I began trying to lose weight back in September, I quit drinking regular soda cold turkey. At first, I drank just iced tea as a replacement for the caffeine and water. But I missed the sweetness of regular soda too so I tried Crystal Light. I didn't like it, tasted way too sweet to me. Bleh... Consequently, I still have a canister of it in my cupboard. So I gave that up and for a few months just drank 8-12 cups of water a day instead. Just water, no juice or milk (except on cereal now and then).

About a month or so ago, I started drinking Diet Coke, one or two a week. I don't know what possessed me to drink it, always despised the aftertaste of Diet sodas in the past. I don't notice it now though, weird. I think maybe I just got sick of only drinking water. Anyway, I've now switched to Cherry Diet Dr. Pepper and have one 12 oz. can or occasionally a 20 oz. bottle per day with my evening meal. I don't count it as my water though, I still drink at least 8-12 cups a day along with the one Diet soda and I also have coffee when I get up.

I tried a sip of my husband's regular soda one day a few months ago and couldn't believe how overly sweet it tastes to me now. So glad I gave it up. I'm convinced ditching regular soda in favor of mostly water has been one of the biggest reasons I've been able to lose so much weight and now feel better than I have in decades.
  • Flossiesdoll
    Options
    Once or twice a year I might have a can of Diet Irn Bru. I'm not a fan of fizzy drinks, and even the diet stuff is bad for you. It's bad for your teeth, and it's bad for your bones.
  • missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I did South Beach quite a number of years ago and the best thing to come out of doing that was that I no longer drink sugary drinks. I used to just guzzle Tropicana, Fruitopia, and Kool-aid. I now have no desire to have that and instead drink water and loose leaf tea.

The same goes for pop. I don't like the sweetness of regular pop anymore, and its just not worth the 40g of sugar that is in each can.
    I have for the past year been drinking coke zero in the evenings....a 12 pack normally lasts me 3 months or so. I just recently discovered that diet Dr. Pepper tastes the same as regular and that was my favourite pop in the past...so, I will be having that every couple nights.
  • FitterinaBallerina
    FitterinaBallerina Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Never! Too much sugar for me.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Never! Too much sugar for me.

Diet soda doesn't contain sugar.

Other than a little sodium, it's the same as drinking seltzer in terms of how it affects macros.