Gender Inequity at the Buffet

Options

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    You should have to step on a scale and pay a percentage of your weight. Why should the 115 pound guy pay as much as my 205 lb SO?

Never going to happen due to anti discrimination laws but fair is rarely really fair.

Really, you should step on the scale before and after you ate, so they can charge you by how many pounds you gained while in their restaurant.

While that sounds like a real eye-opener, I don't think it would be a good marketing strategy. Or maybe it would - look at The Heart Attack Grill with their promotion that "patients" over 350 lbs. eat for free...
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    3283914-picard-facepalm-hotlink.jpg
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options

Maybe the buffet should try charging people on a per item basis?

I used to go to one where your bill depended on the weight of your plate full of food.
    We also used to get great mileage when we took our preschoolers to buffets that charged kids by the year. My kids were total carnivores and despite being small were big eaters.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Dont complain! Women on average cost more in their life times in health care than men, but in a universal system we pay equal costs. Id rather pay more ata buffet then at the docs!
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    lol my husband and adult son eat less than I do! I am a chow hound!
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Wait, are you trying to say I can't eat as much as a male? Because I accept that challenge.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Ah, but sometimes it's that 115lb guy who you have to worry about :wink: Ever seen those competitive eaters?
    Where's my &%#* like button when I want it?
  • bigmike069
    bigmike069 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    the fukc did I just read.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Most restaurants are per item basis, why do you feel the need every last one should cater to your personal wants if they want to charge a different way? There is a reason its called a BUFFET, and not per item. You also are referring to ALL YOU CAN EAT buffets, because a per plate buffet shouldn't get you complaining, unless you are also going to complain the smallest plate is too big for what you want to eat...

Plenty of smaller people can also out-eat bigger people, which is also not fair, what would they need to do, measure stomach size to make it "fair"? I could always out-eat a friend who was 6'4" and almost twice my weight, why should he have to pay a higher price than me or even as much as me? Maybe you eat more than him too, size does not = quantity of food eaten necessarily.

There are also plenty of big girls, how is that fair to thin or average sized guys? A small girl is currently winning competitive eating contests and a thin guy I knew had the biggest appetite I'd ever seen, size is not a correct "fair" measurement of food appetite. Preferred meal size before full must be measured before paying?

Even if we are going to weigh each person before and after they eat, and person one drinks 4 sodas while person two eats only shrimp and crab, how is that fair they pay the same price per pound? Why is quantity or weight even the measure? If you ate lobster and I had 2 whole pounds of fried rice, you should pay more than me!

Well, guess what? They thought of a solution to all these problems for a different type of eating that doesn't charge per dish, value of dish or quantity, its called the ALL YOU CAN EAT BUFFET!

All you can eat buffets are all you can eat buffets for a reason, don't buy a ticket to a show you don't like, and don't go to a buffet if you don't want to eat much and don't like that basis of meal payment.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I've never cared to eat at those ''All you can eat buffets'' or buffets in general. Something about lots of people handling the food and not knowing how long its been sitting out there turns me away from those places. If your dry cleaning bill costs more maybe its the material of the clothing their dry cleaning. Certain materials like silk and cashmere wool may require delicate handling which would be more expensive then say a guy who just needs a suit dry cleaned. Idk though, I don't use dry cleaning services so thats just my guess.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    I always wish buffets would do an option to pay by the ounce. I'd eat there more!

Hmmm, but what if one person ate a pound or whatever of just jelly and someone else ate the same weight of top quality steak and prawns?

How is that fair? :smile:

Also how come every time I order a coffee somewhere and I don't have sugar or sweetener, I get charged the same amount as someone who has 2 teaspoons in theirs.

So not fair :sad:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think the point of a buffet is that they charge you the cost of a low cost meal (just like men and women pay the same for any entree at any restaurant). And then you get to choose how much of whatever you eat. You get to choose to go there hungry and eat a days worth of food. Or just go there for a meal and eat till you've had enough. The cost will more than cover your meal and then you choose if you go above and beyond a regular meal. Also, I think this post must have been a joke.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I've never cared to eat at those ''All you can eat buffets'' or buffets in general. Something about lots of people handling the food and not knowing how long its been sitting out there turns me away from those places. If your dry cleaning bill costs more maybe its the material of the clothing their dry cleaning. Certain materials like silk and cashmere wool may require delicate handling which would be more expensive then say a guy who just needs a suit dry cleaned. Idk though, I don't use dry cleaning services so thats just my guess.

Yep, I agree with all of this.
  • MarliQQ
    MarliQQ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Even when I was very overweight, I could not eat the amount of food needed to feel like I got my money's worth at ANY buffet. I prefer to order off a menu when I eat out.

If they are going to tackle any problem at the large buffet restaurants, it should be a way to penalize people for piling up plate after plate and not eating all that food. The waste in those establishments is atrocious.

So So true, agree with it all!!
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    And this is why I never eat salad, potatoes or bread at the buffet. I don't eat the quantity that my husband does, but I go for the meat. What I give up in quantity, I make up for in quality. Lol.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I can't believe that this is serious…

I am woman, hear me buffet….!
  • andylowry
    andylowry Posts: 89
    Options
    Let's talk about haircuts, too. Back when I still had enough hair to cut, the women I knew were paying four times as much for a haircut.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Is this a serious post...?? Hard to tell..
  • tgmichelleee
    tgmichelleee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone who can't tell if this is a serious post or not
    But two words: Sonya Thomas... that should speak for itself