what's the point in exercising?

Options
13»

Replies

• SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    They say you should eat back the calories you burn, but would it not be better to not exercise at allamd just stick to 1200 calories? Im confused what's the point of burning calories if you will just eat them back then it was a waste of time??

You have this remarkably close to backwards.
    What's the point of losing weight if you are not exercising?
    If you're going to stay unhealthy just stay fat and save time and effort all around.

And in a more practical sense the goal isn't to create the largest possible deficit. It's to reach your target deficit. The target you've picked to achieve your desired rate of loss and provide proper nutrition. If you don't account for extra activity you have failed to achieve your immediate goal.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat 600 calories, a vitamin pill and not exercise at all, then?

Now, if you're on a small deficit, do a bit of exercise and don't feel hungry, sure don't eat your calories back.
    Similarly, if you're on a big deficit and go over on food, it's not the end of the world, your progress rate in each case will just be a bit different.

But regularly eating way differently to your goals suggests you should probably change the goal!
  • kitlynnJ
    kitlynnJ Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I eat at a calorie deficit to look good in smaller clothes. I work out to look good naked.

This. Also, I run for cake.

I am usually not a cake person, but when the craving hits I must have it. I went for a run this morning just to get 200 extra calories to help fit in some cake tonight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I eat at a calorie deficit to look good in smaller clothes. I work out to look good naked.

This. Also, I run for cake.

Yep. I exercise for cake. I'll never look naked thanks to loose skin (and it annoys me to no end when people say that exercising will prevent loose skin. It won't. It might help, but if you're older and/or your genetics suck, you're SOL).