Do you feel it is important to sleep with your spouse?

Options
PghPensFan69
PghPensFan69 Posts: 2,393 Member
No, this isn't a thread about sex. It is about sharing the same bed to sleep. Do you feel it is important?

Replies

• asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Yes, closeness and intimacy. However sometimes a separate bed or separate bedroom wouldn't be bad. especially for the snorers!! :yawn:
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Probably.

But it takes me so long to get to sleep and it takes next to nothing to wake me up.

I'd probably be happier with seperate rooms.

Newly wed as well - apparently we're way too young seperate rooms! Haha. But good sleep makes me not want to punch him quite so much. He's a snorer and a teeth-grinder.
  • ercaface
    ercaface Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I do feel it is important. It is actuallly a source of argument between my BF and I. He falls asleep on the couch on a very regular basis and doesn't come to bed till 2 or 3 in the morning (if at all). We both wake ~6am, so basically I don't feel like he is making an effort to get off the couch and sleep with me even though I have made it VERY clear that is is a huge deal. I know people who have sepearate bedrooms because of snoring or differing sleep hours, etc, but I think that people should make an effort to be close, even when it isn't sexual in nature. I'm curious to see all kinds of responses!!! Maybe I will pick out the good ones and have him read :)
  • HipsterGuy33
    Options
    Fully agree. Wife and I go to bed at the same time as much as possible. Better feelings of being close. Better for the relationship.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I would freeze to death if I had to sleep alone.. Although I would need less caffeine. My husband thrashes about like a fish out of water-so do our kids.
  • mlanders22
    mlanders22 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't have a spouse, but when I'm in a relationship I believe sharing a bed is important. Some of the best conversations and moments I've shared with someone were right before falling asleep or when waking up in the morning. It's a closeness/connection thing for me.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Too early for loaded questions...

*hides with coffee*
  • caringiscreepyx
    Options
    I will NOT share a (single) bed with my 6ft 2 boyfriend if i dont have to! Ive been elbowed in the face far too many times for my liking haha!
    I have a futon i sleep on across the room from him!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    But good sleep makes me not want to punch him quite so much. He's a snorer and a teeth-grinder.

:bigsmile: This, so much this. Lol.

But even with the snoring and the moving about and the constant getting up I'd rather share a bed. For a start he's warmer than I am :laugh:
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Totally. The only night that I might get in bed without my husband are nights where he has organized activities like bowling or softball that he is out later with his friends. I get up at 5am every day so I need to be in bed by a certain time. I still try to wait for him as I can't fall asleep in bed without him usually.

Every other night we get in bed together even if one of us isn't totally tired. If one of us falls asleep ont he couch we wake the other. I love the closeness and snuggle time in bed!

Plus then when it is time to put on sexy pants we're right there lol
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I think that it is important if it works for you and your relationship. Once we got the new mattress, memory foam so I wouldn't wake up with him flopping around, we are much happier. However, if we have radically different schedules or one of us is sick I don't mind occasionally sleeping apart. Quality sleep is important too.
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love the intimacy and closeness. Plus when I get scared at night, I have someone to snuggle up to. Due to my husband's back injury last December, he has been sleeping on the floor since January. I feel it has affected our relationship, not seriously, but I do feel like there's a distance between us that wasn't there before.... :cry:
  • PghPensFan69
    PghPensFan69 Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are definitely not compatible sleepers.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My husband usually comes to bed after i am asleep... (he needs less sleep than me and gets up later) but its nice to be able to have a little snuggle and chat when we go to bed at the same time.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have slept in different rooms for many years. When I had my Son, he was ill and would be up all night, so it was easier to keep the baby in the bedroom with me and my husband slept in the spare room so he could sleep for work. At that time he worked odd hours, so couldn't be up all night with a crying infant. So after that we realized that we actually slept better apart. He tosses and turns and I get up Every few hours, so it was awful for both of us. So we've slept apart ever since, and our marriage is fine. He has back issues and has to sleep all propped up and he kicks in his sleep sometimes lol!! So I'm fine with it and actually prefer having my own space. I like having complete control over the remote for the TV! Lol!!
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don't have a spouse, but when I'm in a relationship I believe sharing a bed is important. Some of the best conversations and moments I've shared with someone were right before falling asleep or when waking up in the morning. It's a closeness/connection thing for me.

This is where my cynicism takes over. I love sharing a bed with my wife, and think it is vital to building and encouraging a strong relationship, but sadly it rarely happens. For one, we have an infant. He keeps her pretty occupied between late night feedings and the occasional cry fest. We also have a 3 year old who is transitioning to her own room. This means, if I don't wake up to find her sprawled in-between us with a foot in my face, I am usually waking up on the floor next to her bed where I must have gone in the middle of the night to try and put her back to sleep. Outside of those things, conversations before bed usually consist of, "hey babe, do I have work clothes for tomorrow?" Conversations in the morning rarely happen because of this strange phenomenon called morning breath. This means closed mouth kisses and light conversation until someone gets out of bed and gets themselves straightened out. The hallmark, lifetime idea of snuggling and cuddling and soft whispers filled with heartfelt romanticism is not my reality.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Even though his 6'3" frame ends up in the middle or on my side of the bed and I snore, we don't sleep well without each other. We go to bed at the same time. I might fall asleep before him, but we are always touching when we fall asleep. I think it's very important for our relationship.
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    We do, because it is important to him and don't have the room in our house not to. But he has to sleep right over the far side of the bed or I don't like it!
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Probably, but while it's nice but not necessary--as long as everything else is good. We pretty much have separate bedrooms now. But we never went to sleep at the same time any way, and someone would invariably end up sleeping in another room because of any little reason.
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You know.. I always thought sharing a bed and cuddling with my husband would be nice... But it tuns out... that I cant sit sill long enough to cuddle... and he twitches, at the exact right time to scare the **** out of me... every time... so we must make sure we are not touching... Then there's the fact that he always had to pull the covers away from me because I end up fully wrapped in them... So now we have separate blankets. We do really like laying down talking in bed.. but with everything else.. we would be better off with two beds in the same room.