Do you mind eating at a restaurant by yourself?

Options
1235»

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Not anymore. I usually eat by myself in the cafe at work anyway. I just bring a book or magazine with me.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I hate eating at restaurants alone, I just order the meal to go and eat at home.
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I do not like to eat alone in public. Originally it was because I was self conscious about my weight. Maybe that'll change once my brain realizes I'm not that heavy any more.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I hate eating alone. I used to travel a lot for work and went to restaurants by myself a lot. I also brought a book to hide behind and I would hand the server my credit card when they brought my plate so I could be out of there as soon as I finished my last bite.
  • adrake611
    adrake611 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love going out alone. It's nice to escape the chaos of having 4 adults and 1 dog in a house meant for 2 people.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I usually get food to go, but long story short, I sit at the table/bar a long time before I order to-go. I have a lap band and need to drink a lot of fluids before I eat, so I use that time to check my email/get on my iPad, drink up, and then probably 30-45 minutes later I order and then leave (ordering to go also allows me to immediately divide food out in to portions when I get home). I see plenty of people alone at a restaurant doing the same. I totally see your point!
  • runmamarun7
    runmamarun7 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I enjoy going out to eat alone sometimes. But I have 5 kids, so I also enjoy getting to go the bathroom alone.

Anyway, go if you want to. Take a book or a magazine, or just people watch.
    This lol! I have 5 kids too! I would love to go out alone somewhere quiet with a book and a fireplace :)
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I ask because on Thursday evenings, my husband and I always go out to dinner. He is out of town today, so I am going to go by myself. But I've had several friends who have made comments like, "All alone? Why not just get something to go and eat it at home?"

For me the whole point to eating out is, well, to eat out. Seems silly to pay for a nice meal, have them shove into a Styrofoam container, take it home and put it on a plate that I will have to wash. Plus the food never tastes as good. Might as well just make something at home. Plus, the wait staff knows me at the restaurant I'm going to (we go there a lot) so if they see me eating alone, and they have the time, they will stop by the table to chat with me. So I don’t really feel like I’m eating alone. I know a lot of people hate eating out alone, but it’s not that big of a deal to me.

What about you? Do you eat out alone? Or get the food to go?

I LOVE going out to eat by myself. And I constantly hear the same kinds of comments from others who are too self-conscious to go out by themselves.

I also love traveling by myself. So many people have questioned that too, saying they would never travel by themselves... until I finally convinced one of my colleagues to go on a trip to Miami by herself after she wasn't able to find people to go with her. She had a blast... so maybe it's just a matter of getting comfortable outside of your normal comfort zone.
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    HealthyishWithMaggieG Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I've done a combination of all of these options... eaten at home, eaten out with friends/a spouse, traveled for work and had to eat by myself, eaten solo in the main area of a restaurant, eaten at the bar, ordered food to go, ordered room service. Under ideal circumstances, I would prefer to eat out with someone. I really don't like to eat out by myself. When I'm home, I prefer to prepare my own meals. But, when I'm traveling, these days, I'm usually transporting rescue animals (or at least traveling with my dog). So, I try to keep the amount of time that the animals are alone in my truck to a minimum... lots of fast food eating while driving. If it's just my dog with me, I'll order food to go and we'll have a picnic on the tailgate of my truck. His favorite? Vanilla Frosty from Wendy's. And, I've recently started looking for restaurants that allow customers to bring their dogs onto the patio, while they eat. That's our next adventure to try.
  • FoxBean
    FoxBean Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I never have, don't think I would want to either. I would be uncomfortable, and lonely :ohwell:
  • littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    I never have, don't think I would want to either. I would be uncomfortable, and lonely :ohwell:

^ This pretty much exactly. I'd feel uncomfortable and weird, I wouldn't want to do it.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Phbbbt! Eat at the bar. Talk to the bartender & watch TV (if there is one). I do it at Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday's & Olive Garden all the time.
  • PokedandInked77
    Options
    Before marriage I liked to go to chinese buffet by myself all the time so I could eat until no end without someone sitting across looking at me.. Waffle house is the best place to eat alone, because everyone there usually is a transient and are there alone also.