How can people live on 1200 calories?

Options

Replies

• stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    That's good for you but some people are used to eating constantly and spending most of the day sitting down and don't move around much. My teenage brother is one of those people. At Disneyland last month, we had just eaten lunch and he was already wanting to stop for a churro or a bag of chips. People like that need to slowly cut out the calories so they don't feel like they're starving. Otherwise they're likely to overeat as soon as they've hit their goal (gain it back) or will give up quickly.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I don't know how they do it either! I'm 5'0" and when I tried that, I was cranky and miserable the entire time lol
  • verhunzt
    verhunzt Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It's 3 p.m. and I'm at 1300 calories. I'm cranky and think I could die of starvation. This is no way to live. Thank goodness I still have room to eat more today!

Eat the right foods and you can eat 1200 calories and feel stuffed all day. :)
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Example days of where I didn't starve myself but I ate under 1200 calories. This isn't everyday, if I want pizza, bam, over 1200 calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/kjarvo?date=2014-04-02 3 meals + Snack 1196 cals
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/kjarvo?date=2014-03-26 3 meals and snack 1100 cals
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I have to use forethought, planning, healthy foods, lots of exercise, and self control to net 18-1900 lol.
  • Adpalangi
    Adpalangi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I am using MFP to track my calories and nutrients. Started a different on line program, that is supposed to meet your target weight in 12 weeks. I am 5 ft, 135lbs, 49 yrs old and live a sedimentary life style (which I hope to change with the recommended circuit training). I am allowed 1000 cal a day 6 days a week and on the seventh 1539. I am having a hard time reaching my 1000 while eating a clean diet, no processed food, and part of the time organic. But my main concern is I am way off my protien level, I can't seem to reach that number. Is it true that if you do not have enough calories and protien you can't use weight, because your body is tricked and goes into a starvation mode storing your calories as fat? Also do I understand. It right that you need that source of protien to burn calories? I know fish chicken beans eggs peanutbutter lean meats bacon sausage are all high in protien, what else us there? If you could answer these several questions I'd appreciate it. I've been at this for 8 days now, lost 4lbs. So it's all new to me. Thank you.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    1200 calories works well for people over 40, under 5'2" and with a high BF%.

Unfortunately, MFP often assigns 1200 calories to people taller, thinner and younger than that. I signed onto this website for the first time at 18 years old, 5'4" and 135lbs (I had recently gained about 10 and wanted to lose it again)... and was given 1200 net calories to eat per day. I stuck to it. I stuck to it by burning over 600 calories at the gym every day. I stuck to it by taking long naps because I had no energy. It didn't take long for me to start binge eating, and it didn't take long after that for the guilt associated with doubling my calorie goal due to a binge to lead to a purge. I lost the weight. I didn't look the way I wanted to. I lost more weight.

It's a dangerous road for the majority of people, especially young people. That's why I spend a lot of time on here telling young people to eat more.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I am using MFP to track my calories and nutrients. Started a different on line program, that is supposed to meet your target weight in 12 weeks. I am 5 ft, 135lbs, 49 yrs old and live a sedimentary life style (which I hope to change with the recommended circuit training). I am allowed 1000 cal a day 6 days a week and on the seventh 1539. I am having a hard time reaching my 1000 while eating a clean diet, no processed food, and part of the time organic. But my main concern is I am way off my protien level, I can't seem to reach that number. Is it true that if you do not have enough calories and protien you can't use weight, because your body is tricked and goes into a starvation mode storing your calories as fat? Also do I understand. It right that you need that source of protien to burn calories? I know fish chicken beans eggs peanutbutter lean meats bacon sausage are all high in protien, what else us there? If you could answer these several questions I'd appreciate it. I've been at this for 8 days now, lost 4lbs. So it's all new to me. Thank you.

I'm sorry, you're having a hard time hitting 1000 cals? I've been known to eat 4,000 "clean" cals.

Fish, Meat, Nuts, Eggs, Fruits, Veggies, Seeds should easily get you over 1000. For example, a 1/4 cup of nuts is about 180-200 calories. I'm sure you could put one or two of those away.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options

If you don't meet your protein target then you risk losing muscle along with fat. You can still lose weight, though. You don't need to eat protein to burn calories. Protein helps your body repair and build muscle. It also helps with satiety.

If you only care about weight, calories are the most important thing.
    If you only care about body composition, macros are the most important.
    If you care about nutrition, micros and vtamins are important.

Most people like to find a balance that values all three of those things, in which case you should make sure you meet your macros and micros while staying within your calorie goal. It requires some diligence to do this though.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Personally, my body weight changes too drastically if I eat over the 1400-1500 calorie range so living on fewer calories than a lot of people here is easy. Some days I barely make over a thousand and I'm just used to that because of budget and such in my household and what we have available.

If you do weight training I couldn't imagine eating that few calories but as a cardio bunny(yeah yeah yeah) it makes sense for me. Plus I do aerobic based pilates so I don't burn that many calories.
  • Xaudelle
    Xaudelle Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I tried that a very very long time ago. I felt like a zombie. My body SHUT DOWN.

I lurve eating 1900+/- each day!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    No idea. I drink twice the recommended intake for water most days, and I lost weight eating above 1600 the whole time (as far as I am aware). I'm not tall at 5'5.5" either, and I have only been properly physically active for the last three years or so.
    Now, I'm anywhere from 1900-2300.
  • meganfstylist
    meganfstylist Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Honestly, its really not as hard, or bad as you think. I am a 5 foot nothing petite framed girl, and when I gain 5 lbs. it looks like 15 unfortunately...With that said, I started MFP because I had recently let myself go on a IDGAF eating binge and gained 15 pounds...for some who is used to being generally a small person their whole life its kind of a big deal...

Anyways, my daily intake is around 1200 on point every day. And I eat 5 times a day. Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack, Dinner, and sometimes even dessert. Its honestly WHAT your eating. You can definately eat well on 1200 without depriving or starving yourself. I'm not looking to make gains, get buff and all jacked. My fitness is moderate, I have hour sessions every day for different areas but nothing too crazy. For someone of my height and stature it is perfectly fine and comfortable living on 1200 cals a day. Its not for everyone, but just dont put anyone down for it. This site is supposed to be positive and supportive for everyones goals, because they are all different, but we are all trying to do the same things, be fit, healthy and happy, in our own customized ways.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Anyone who's been a friend of mine eating that little gets dropped off my friend list because ALL THEY DO is complain about how they aren't losing any weight. You don't lose weight when your body thinks you are starving!

You aren't deleting people eating that little, you're deleting people who are logging inaccurately or being dishonest with themselves. The body will lose weight on a deficit, it doesn't have a choice.
  • angiek123
    angiek123 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Who knew I'd be opening up such a debate? :tongue: I wasn't trying to knock anyone's diet or anything. Just honestly trying to figure out how people do it without getting hangry all the time. My poor kids and DH would not fare well if I were eating only 1200. I think I might have done a few days at 1200 a few years ago, but it seems like I could never go below 1650 with consistent exercise (and probably not tracking accurately, so I bet it was more than that). I feel like I eat pretty well 80% of the time, and I'm still hungry at 1900 calories on a REST day. You people must have some crazy will power.
  • angiek123
    angiek123 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Also, I wish water could trick my stomach like it does for some of you!
  • denicejo
    denicejo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Simple...you go to your doctor, like I did, and have them remove about 85% of your stomach and poof....teetering between 900 and 1100 cals a day...that's how.
  • xmarykaterose
    xmarykaterose Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If I don't workout that day, its weirdly easy. If I DO workout, I eat an extra 200-500cal however! But for some reason, staying under 1200 is a piece of cake for me -- I get full easily...

and its strange because its not like I'm short - I'm 5'8.5 tall... Im actually shocked people have such a hard time with it! Maybe thats not a good thing on my end... lol.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Haven't gone over 1200 in 3 years and YES I measure everything. It works for me
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    They can't.....not for long periods anyway.

You've been on MFP for 6 years and only have 9 friends?? Get to cracking girl...

*shots fired*

shotsfired_zps37fb2e88.gif?t=1397524957