Loved ones setting you up for failure!

Options
Totally need to vent! Seeking a bit of advice too. My best friend has recently joined my gym to get in shape. Although she doesn't quite need to lose as much as me she has her own goals. I typically hit the gym 3-5 days weekly. My workouts are usually an 1-2 long. I figured ok great my friend can help motivate me and we can push one another. AWESOME! not. She always says she wants to go and then changes her mind once I've met up with her. She then gets upset with me when I tell her I'm going anyways. One the rare occasion she does hit the gym with me I feel like I'm holding myself back for her. I.e.- today she insisted on only doing 10min. cycling and spent maybe 10min on weight training. I cant help but feel confused at how to approach the situation. I don't want to hurt her feelings but I can't risk slacking and letting myself slip back to old habits. Oh, and did I mention SHE stopped at DUNKIN DONUTS on the way home! (I avoided them at all costs). I don;t want to avoid people and know they aren't intentionally putting me in these situations but its a struggle already and she isnt making it any easier!

Replies

• jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Go by yourself, workout as long as you want. Dont worry about her. She isnt worrying about you.
  • Karissa_Clohan
    Karissa_Clohan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Ohhh I know how you feel all too well. My younger sister tried doing the 30 Day Shred with me. It was great for about the first 10 minutes, then she wanted to pause every couple of minutes because she just wasn't that into pushing herself. We then tried jogging together, and the same thing happened. I found myself slowing down and not jogging for as long because she wouldn't keep up. (Note how I say wouldn't instead of couldn't - she's very able bodied, just not as committed.)

When I was in your situation, OP, I politely "broke up" with my exercise companion. Just explain to her that you both have very different goals and it's super important to you that you meet your goals. Try to avoid saying anything that may imply she isn't exactly meeting your standards - just leave it at a "no fault" sort of thing.
  • DevSanchez
    DevSanchez Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Go by yourself, workout as long as you want. Dont worry about her. She isnt worrying about you.

So right. I usually end up going by myself anyways. I work harder and do what I want without a worry about time or anything else. Just dont want to hurt her feelings.
  • incantarix
    Options
    I agree with Karissa. This is your life and your weight loss journey, "break up" with her. If she really cared about you she would just let you do what you need to do. You're better off by yourself so you can stay as long as you want, and no tempting DD on the way home. Good for you, also, for recognizing this is a problem, and for looking for ways to resolve it!
  • DevSanchez
    Options
    Ohhh I know how you feel all too well. My younger sister tried doing the 30 Day Shred with me. It was great for about the first 10 minutes, then she wanted to pause every couple of minutes because she just wasn't that into pushing herself. We then tried jogging together, and the same thing happened. I found myself slowing down and not jogging for as long because she wouldn't keep up. (Note how I say wouldn't instead of couldn't - she's very able bodied, just not as committed.)

When I was in your situation, OP, I politely "broke up" with my exercise companion. Just explain to her that you both have very different goals and it's super important to you that you meet your goals. Try to avoid saying anything that may imply she isn't exactly meeting your standards - just leave it at a "no fault" sort of thing.
    Thanks for the advice! I totally know the whole wouldn't and couldn't thing. I find myself slowing down so she doesnt feel left behind.
  • DevSanchez
    Options
    I agree with Karissa. This is your life and your weight loss journey, "break up" with her. If she really cared about you she would just let you do what you need to do. You're better off by yourself so you can stay as long as you want, and no tempting DD on the way home. Good for you, also, for recognizing this is a problem, and for looking for ways to resolve it!

Thanks guys. I guess Ill have to chit chat with her about it tomorrow. Geez, I havent had a breakup speech since highschool. Wish me luck LOL
  • Karissa_Clohan
    Options

Thanks guys. I guess Ill have to chit chat with her about it tomorrow. Geez, I havent had a breakup speech since highschool. Wish me luck LOL

Good luck, OP! I'm sure it'll all turn out fine :)
    Remember that's normal to grieve after the separation and all that good stuff. Maybe through in a "it's not you, it's me" or "we can still be friends!" just for the complete effect.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I am sorry but I am tough love, your going to have to face D&D sooner or later. My husband is a JUNK FOOD FIEND and eats it all the time and in front of me. I had to fight myself to make enough willpower to understand I don't need that junk. I understand that seems harsh to hear, but when you go to BBQ in the summer or out with friends and such...they are not going to eat healthy just because your trying to stay away from things. I myself will look at calories and fat and sugar in items if I know my husband and I are going out to eat, as this information turns me off from wanting to eat certain foods.

I also agree with not letting yourself fall victim to her saying she is going to workout and not doing it.. Don't worry about hurting her feelings as if she is a true friend she will get over it. I normally tell my friends what I am doing at the gym and they can do the same or do there own thing and we will meet up later. This way I am not worried about what they can or cannot do and we both get a great workout. Looking to have her motivation push you is a red flag as well...if anything she might drag your good vibes and workouts down because she is not as invested in losing weight as you are. You keep going and pushing, you got this :)
  • sushidulces
    sushidulces Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Does your gym offer classes? They may seem hokey, BUT, if you do want that friend time and get a workout, do a Body Pump, Yoga, Zumba, etc etc ONCE A WEEK or so. That way, it has it's own pace and if she wants to leave, let her. But her slowness and want to change machines every 10 minutes won't be an issue :)

I used to go to the gym with my sis and a friend and that's the only way we could all do something together. We giggled and had fun during the class, so we did get to bond while sweating :laugh:
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If this really is your best friend, you might want to compromise, especially if she's not in as good shape as you are and she tires easily. If the gym has a spa, maybe she could work out with you for a while and relax in the spa, while you finish your workout. Or you could arrive at different times, so you get in a good workout and then spend time chatting with her while she works out and you cool down.

It's not cool to agree to go to the gym, then back out and pout when you say you're still going. I would gently point that out to her. You might also point out that 10 minutes of moderate cycling burns maybe 60-80 calories, and a DD donut is 250-500 calories (a chocolate glazed cake one is 370, according to their website). So if she bikes for 10 minutes, she's entitled to 1 plain cake munchkin (60 calories).

But if you work out the bit about backing out and stopping for donuts afterwards, you still might enjoy spending 1 day a week at the gym together. Maybe if you keep it up, she'll get the bug and start to challenge herself more.

It's not really an analogous situation, but my wife and I both enjoy cycling. I am a much faster cyclist than her, so if we bike together, I don't get much of a workout. But it's fun to explore together, she gets a good workout, and we enjoy one another's company. If I haven't had a good workout in a while, I'll ride with her for a couple hours and then do some intervals, or drop her off at home and do a little bit more myself.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Does your gym offer classes? They may seem hokey, BUT, if you do want that friend time and get a workout, do a Body Pump, Yoga, Zumba, etc etc ONCE A WEEK or so. That way, it has it's own pace and if she wants to leave, let her. But her slowness and want to change machines every 10 minutes won't be an issue :)

I used to go to the gym with my sis and a friend and that's the only way we could all do something together. We giggled and had fun during the class, so we did get to bond while sweating :laugh:
    Great advice.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

Sigh, unfortunately for me, I'm in a similar situation but worse - my exercise companion that won't push himself is my husband. The breakup speech is a little more awkward in this scenario! But this post makes me realize it needs to happen.
  • DevSanchez
    Options
    I am sorry but I am tough love, your going to have to face D&D sooner or later. My husband is a JUNK FOOD FIEND and eats it all the time and in front of me. I had to fight myself to make enough willpower to understand I don't need that junk. I understand that seems harsh to hear, but when you go to BBQ in the summer or out with friends and such...they are not going to eat healthy just because your trying to stay away from things. I myself will look at calories and fat and sugar in items if I know my husband and I are going out to eat, as this information turns me off from wanting to eat certain foods.

I also agree with not letting yourself fall victim to her saying she is going to workout and not doing it.. Don't worry about hurting her feelings as if she is a true friend she will get over it. I normally tell my friends what I am doing at the gym and they can do the same or do there own thing and we will meet up later. This way I am not worried about what they can or cannot do and we both get a great workout. Looking to have her motivation push you is a red flag as well...if anything she might drag your good vibes and workouts down because she is not as invested in losing weight as you are. You keep going and pushing, you got this :)

I appreciate your candor. It isnt the eating in front of me, or the unhealthy food surrounding me that bothers me. I find myself easily deterred from it as my end goal is more important to me. Im just somewhat of a pushover and want to avoid letting her down I guess. I do however understand my healthy and happiness is much more important that temporarily hurting her feelings. Just needed a good vent to neutral people. thank you.
  • ellepribro
    ellepribro Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar situation once. I told my workout buddy that I would meet her at the class rather than beforehand. If she didn't show up I could still go and do it on my own. She stopped showing up so often that I stopped telling her when I was going. Maybe that's *****y, but it worked for us.
  • DevSanchez
    Options
    If this really is your best friend, you might want to compromise, especially if she's not in as good shape as you are and she tires easily. If the gym has a spa, maybe she could work out with you for a while and relax in the spa, while you finish your workout. Or you could arrive at different times, so you get in a good workout and then spend time chatting with her while she works out and you cool down.

It's not cool to agree to go to the gym, then back out and pout when you say you're still going. I would gently point that out to her. You might also point out that 10 minutes of moderate cycling burns maybe 60-80 calories, and a DD donut is 250-500 calories (a chocolate glazed cake one is 370, according to their website). So if she bikes for 10 minutes, she's entitled to 1 plain cake munchkin (60 calories).

But if you work out the bit about backing out and stopping for donuts afterwards, you still might enjoy spending 1 day a week at the gym together. Maybe if you keep it up, she'll get the bug and start to challenge herself more.

It's not really an analogous situation, but my wife and I both enjoy cycling. I am a much faster cyclist than her, so if we bike together, I don't get much of a workout. But it's fun to explore together, she gets a good workout, and we enjoy one another's company. If I haven't had a good workout in a while, I'll ride with her for a couple hours and then do some intervals, or drop her off at home and do a little bit more myself.

Very good advice thank you! You are 100% right
  • Karissa_Clohan
    Options

Sigh, unfortunately for me, I'm in a similar situation but worse - my exercise companion that won't push himself is my husband. The breakup speech is a little more awkward in this scenario! But this post makes me realize it needs to happen.

You can do it, awkward or not, I have faith in you! :)
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    That's why I run on my own. Only person to convince is me, only one to apologize to is my aging dog who can't come along.
    Since i started cycling for cross training, DH has been a bit miffed, that's HIS sport after all, and he's currently benched with pneumonia, so its mostly frustration talking. No chance of us going cycling together though. Ever.

I'd treat it as if your friend is going to a separate gym. Do your thing and meet her for shopping/coffee after. Or she can meet you at the gym (just before you're done) for a light cool down and stretching :tongue:
  • LisAri72
    LisAri72 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I joined the gym as my friend said she needed a workout buddy and we would motivate each other. She works and I am not right now. She often backs out of planned exercise at last minute which frustrates me as I have no vehicle and if she told me earlier I could have taken the bus and saved on cab fees. I didn't think I could go alone at first and it slowed me down but then I went and find I actually prefer it to when I go with her. I take the bus during the day and save money that way. I can relate to someone backing out on you!
  • KatherineLynnKane
    KatherineLynnKane Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Tell your friend that you'll be at the gym during a certain time doing a specific routine
    and that she's welcome to join you. End of conversation.
    If she offers an alternative plan, just say no.
    If she does come to join you but decides to quit early, let her go.
    Eventually she'll realize that you're not an ideal partner for her.

Scheduled fitness classes can be very social and fun but personal workouts differ.
    When people ask to join me for a swim I agree, but once I explain my routine it no longer appeals to them.

My girl friend is an avid walker and I enjoy walking with the indoor track with her.
    Unfortunately I don't have as much stamina so I end up sitting out a few laps then rejoining her.
    I certainly wouldn't ask a friend to alter their scheduled routine to accommodate me. If I did ask, I'm sure the answer would be no. Most people have busy lifestyles and limited time to accomplish their fitness goals so they don't like to be distracted.
    Look around the gym and count how many people are wearing headphones while exercising.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I don't work out with other people for that reason--I like to really hit the gym hard. I love working out! And haven't found anyone who likes to match my pace on a regular basis. My one friend and I go to yoga class once a week (I do the elliptical 30-40 minutes beforehand), so that's worked out as a good compromise for us. Is that a possibility for you? Maybe your friend really isn't into working out, but wanted to spend time with you. A class could be a good structured way to get together and be healthy. And you can each throw yourselves into the class with whatever intensity suits you both as individuals.

Funny story ... my friend wanted to lift with me and we went together. Early on, some weights slipped and banged into my hand. It kinda hurt, I figured I gave it a good knock. I kept on working out and avoided stuff using that hand. She was ready to go long before I was. Finally, I agreed to wrap it up, but I still wasn't done. Turns out my hand was broken (broke two bones in my hand). That's my example of why I don't work out with other people--worked out with a broken hand for 45 minutes and she was ready to leave way before i was. :)