Juicing: Healthy detox or diet trap?

Options

Replies

• GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Question for you: what do doctors prefer folks do before going in for a colonoscopy?

Flush. And before you start jumping on the couch like Tom Cruise, that's for VISIBILITY, not some bogeyman toxins. I've seen colonoscopies, I've helped perform them, I've helped people prep for them. I have it from the Dr's mouth: GoLytely is so that they can SEE what and where they are going. Not to clean out your magic toxic friends.

Ok right. Visibility. So does that mean that there's some gunk up in there that could use being flushed out on occasion? Clearly it means there's something that doesn't get purged through typical bathroom trips yes?

NO IT MEANS YOUR FOOD DOESN'T ALL COME OUT IN ONE BOWEL MOVEMENT AS SOON AS YOU EAT IT. When you eat everything gets pushed along a little bit. Some comes out, but it will be digested waste from a previous meal. Your digestive system isn't instantaneous and the suggestion it should be is ridiculous.

ETA: If you feel there is "gunk" in your intestines I can only interpret you don't poo as regularly as you would like? The answer for that is to eat more fibre. The answer is NOT to "cleanse" your colon by drinking juice that has had the fibre removed. That is silly. That is the opposite of what you should be doing. If you are really worried about constipation then drink water, eat fibre and take a laxative. But if you are pooing regularly then your body is working fine and you just need to be patient.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    What is the theory behind natural colon cleansing?

The practice of natural colon cleansing dates back to ancient Greece. In the U.S., cleansing the colon -- the large intestine -- became popular in the 1920s and 1930s. But when the theories behind it lost support, it fell out of favor. Recently, though, colon cleansing -- using, for example, teas, enzymes, or colon irrigation -- has experienced resurgence.

One of the main theories behind colon cleansing is an ancient belief called the theory of autointoxication. This is the belief that undigested meat and other foods cause mucus buildup in the colon. This buildup produces toxins, the theory goes, which enter the blood's circulation, poisoning the body.

Some people claim these toxins cause a wide range of symptoms, such as:

Fatigue
    Headache
    Weight gain
    Low energy
    On the surface, the idea of toxins being reabsorbed by the body makes some sense. After all, rectal suppositories are used to rapidly administer drugs. Could toxins, too, be quickly entering the bloodstream from the colon?

If colon cleansing has any effect, however, it likely has less to do with toxins than with its impact on the nervous system. What's the evidence? Reflexes in the bowel affect the entire nervous system. In fact, a wide range of symptoms caused by constipation can be relieved by enemas. If this is true of enemas, then perhaps colon cleansing has a similar effect.

Look, when your most credible source is WebMD, and their 'sources' are "some people" and "ancient beliefs", you don't have a statistical leg to stand on, dude. There's a reason they kept dying in their early thirties when people practiced their "ancient beliefs", your colon cleansing included.

Unless you're drinking GoLytely, your colon is going to have some residue. It is the nature of the design. Unless you've been eating rancid roadkill or drinking wastewater, there aren't a whole lot of "toxins" hanging out in your colon. There ARE, however, millions of friendly bacteria offering your their protection and assistance, and every time you decide to "clean" your colon you screw up their happy little paradise and invite other less friendly bacteria to take over. They aren't so interested in helping you.

Now would someone please tell me, yes or no, that juicing involves throwing away the pulp of the fruits and veggies? Because if it does, I can't imagine how dumb it would be to throw away the fiber that would help more than anything to "clean" your colon. Wtfriggityf.

No throwing away of pulp. No worries there.

Secondly, anyone taking a cleanse should absolutely replenish their gut flora by taking a solid probiotic

Thirdly, I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool believer. I'm curious for myself, and more so I'm curious about how it may or may not affect the mucus production in my body. It's an experiment. If it doesn't make any appreciable difference I probably won't continue to do it.

So if you don't throw away the pulp. why don't you just eat the apple or kale or blueberries? What did mashing the heck out of them achieve? What's the point behind this? Did Ninja and Magic Bullet somehow start a bunch of fake studies to convince a bunch of gullible people they must take their fruits and veggies in liquid form?

Lol you guys are acting like this is more than a three day experiment... kind of entertaining to be honest.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Question for you: what do doctors prefer folks do before going in for a colonoscopy?

Flush. And before you start jumping on the couch like Tom Cruise, that's for VISIBILITY, not some bogeyman toxins. I've seen colonoscopies, I've helped perform them, I've helped people prep for them. I have it from the Dr's mouth: GoLytely is so that they can SEE what and where they are going. Not to clean out your magic toxic friends.

Ok right. Visibility. So does that mean that there's some gunk up in there that could use being flushed out on occasion? Clearly it means there's something that doesn't get purged through typical bathroom trips yes?

Why do you seem to think your intestinal surface should be squeaky clean after each dump? What exactly do you think your intestines are supposed to look like, that shiny pink velvet-carpet image they put in the anatomy books?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

No. Nothing gets built up you know why...your body makes poop DAILY. Mind blowing I know, but yes, this is a daily thing. You body may hold onto this pooh, but it's always on the move towards coming out. So gastro docs want/need a clear view and they have to get your poop out, which your body ironically just made. It's not toxins. There's nothing for poop and toxins to grab on to to hang out like people like to think
  • cwsreddy
    Options

Why do you seem to think your intestinal surface should be squeaky clean after each dump? What exactly do you think your intestines are supposed to look like, that shiny pink velvet-carpet image they put in the anatomy books?

The intestines and colon do a TON of absorption of nutrients (which is why suppositories are a thing). Is it so wild and fantastic to imagine that when these areas are NOT shiny and clean, the elements of the left over fermenting waste materials reabsorb? Is that completely and utterly impossible?

I don't have the answer, thus the experiment.
  • GertrudeHorse
    Options

This is a good point. I think now we're getting closer to the source of Reddy's problems.
    *puts on caring therapist voice*
    I ask you, Reddy, how does this high expectation for colon purity affect your self-esteem? Do your intestines have performance anxiety? What is it they say about sitting down and working it out with a pencil...
  • cwsreddy
    Options

No. Nothing gets built up you know why...your body makes poop DAILY. Mind blowing I know, but yes, this is a daily thing. You body may hold onto this pooh, but it's always on the move towards coming out. So gastro docs want/need a clear view and they have to get your poop out, which your body ironically just made. It's not toxins. There's nothing for poop and toxins to grab on to to hang out like people like to think

If poop creates no residue in your colon, why do you have to wipe?

ETA: this is the grossest convo I think I've ever had.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

The intestines and colon do a TON of absorption of nutrients (which is why suppositories are a thing). Is it so wild and fantastic to imagine that when these areas are NOT shiny and clean, the elements of the left over fermenting waste materials reabsorb? Is that completely and utterly impossible?

knock yourself out …

I will just keep crapping on a regular schedule…

I mean are you going for the world record for cleaning intestinal lining or something?
  • cwsreddy
    Options

This is a good point. I think now we're getting closer to the source of Reddy's problems.
    *puts on caring therapist voice*
    I ask you, Reddy, how does this high expectation for colon purity affect your self-esteem? Do your intestines have performance anxiety? What is it they say about sitting down and working it out with a pencil...

donut?
  • GertrudeHorse
    Options

Firstly, if lots of absorption is going on then surely you would want the waste to stay in there longer, so it can make sure it gets allllll those vitamins. No?

And yes that is wild and fantastic to imagine. It is also completely and utterly impossible. You might not have the answer but fortunately science does. Take your own advice and Google "colon cleansing science" and spend a few hours reading.

ETA: I'm done now. I've wasted enough time interacting with pseudo-science proponents today. I've got to break free before those dreaded toxins get me.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

Firstly, if lots of absorption is going on then surely you would want the waste to stay in there longer, so it can make sure it gets allllll those vitamins. No?

And yes that is wild and fantastic to imagine. It is also completely and utterly impossible. You might not have the answer but fortunately science does. Take your own advice and Google "colon cleansing science" and spend a few hours reading.

science literally cannot prove impossibility. sorry bud :)
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options

Because the external surface of your *kitten* is not covered in thick slimy mucus that facilitates the passage of stool forward. At least it shouldn't be.

The outside of your tuchus is not the same as the inside. Stop trying to make them match.
  • Predat0r1502
    Predat0r1502 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

You don't have to wipe. In fact I'm pretty sure the ancient people that followed your cleanses didn't bother wiping their *kitten*.

We do it so we don't smell like poop and so our butts don't itch all day. Not because it cleanses our system.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

The body is an amazing thing...it doesn't absorb things it doesn't need. Like if I take a vitamin and a vitamin b pill and my body says oh, we only need 1/2 of that vitamin b pill to reach our goal, it pees the rest of it out. It doesn't reabsorb it. It's amazing how efficient our bodies are.

Just like how when someone becomes a vegetarian, after awhile your body realizes it's making an enzyme that is only used to break down meat, your body then ceases to make that enzyme because it's a waste of energy.

The human body the most efficient thing ever.
  • maraq
    maraq Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    So I am confused and looking for clarification.

When people juice, does this mean they shove however many pounds of various vegetables and fruits through an actual juicer machine that dumps the pulp and they just drink the juice?

I thought people were blending the fruits and veggies into a drinkable liquid. Wouldn't this keep most of the fiber and more nutrients as well?

What the hell is the point of throwing half the fruit and vegetable (the pulp) away in juicing?!

Most people who juice frequently don't throw the pulp away - they save it and use it in other recipes (added to soups, baked goods and in homemade veggie or bean burgers etc). Juicing removes fiber and without the fiber the nutrients get into your system quickly (since they don't have fiber slowing digestion down). It's great for people who have digestive issues, are healing from surgery or not feeling well - they get a high quantity of nutrients with little effort. Smoothies are thicker because they keep the fiber in which keeps you full longer but they can be harder on the digestive system. People who juice or do smoothies tend to prefer one over the other but both have their benefits.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

The body is an amazing thing...it doesn't absorb things it doesn't need. Like if I take a vitamin and a vitamin b pill and my body says oh, we only need 1/2 of that vitamin b pill to reach our goal, it pees the rest of it out. It doesn't reabsorb it. It's amazing how efficient our bodies are.

Just like how when someone becomes a vegetarian, after awhile your body realizes it's making an enzyme that is only used to break down meat, your body then ceases to make that enzyme because it's a waste of energy.

this is patently false. the body absorbs whatever there is to absorb. it's not a choice. what about radiation? what about carcinogens? what about lead poisoning? what on earth are you talking about?
  • GertrudeHorse
    Options
    Most people who juice frequently don't throw the pulp away - they save it and use it in other recipes (added to soups, baked goods and in homemade veggie or bean burgers etc). Juicing removes fiber and without the fiber the nutrients get into your system quickly (since they don't have fiber slowing digestion down) . It's great for people who have digestive issues, are healing from surgery or not feeling well - they get a high quantity of nutrients with little effort. Smoothies are thicker because they keep the fiber in which keeps you full longer but they can be harder on the digestive system . People who juice or do smoothies tend to prefer one over the other but both have their benefits.

Just stop. Stop. Please. Make it stop.

ETA: And adieu.
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    Most people who juice frequently don't throw the pulp away - they save it and use it in other recipes (added to soups, baked goods and in homemade veggie or bean burgers etc). Juicing removes fiber and without the fiber the nutrients get into your system quickly (since they don't have fiber slowing digestion down) . It's great for people who have digestive issues, are healing from surgery or not feeling well - they get a high quantity of nutrients with little effort. Smoothies are thicker because they keep the fiber in which keeps you full longer but they can be harder on the digestive system . People who juice or do smoothies tend to prefer one over the other but both have their benefits.

Just stop. Stop. Please. Make it stop.

ETA: And adieu.

so glad you're taking your own advice and making it stop. much appreciated. go have that donut. :)
  • meliasaurus
    meliasaurus Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Eating high fiber foods (fruits and vegetables) can clean out that matter. If you seperate the pulp you're throwing awway the useful fiber.

A fruits and veggies fast makes more sense in this case.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

this is patently false. the body absorbs whatever there is to absorb. it's not a choice. what about radiation? what about carcinogens? what about lead poisoning? what on earth are you talking about?

Nope not false at all, in fact true. It's called science, which obviously you either skipped all of those classes or have forgotten them. That's fine.

According to you, if your body absorbs whatever there is to absorb, then there would be no pee or poop whatsoever now would there???

But no, you are wrong, and it's okay to be wrong. It really is.

Your body will only absorb what it really needs to absorb. It strives for homeostasis, or balance.

Science wins every time.