Juicing: Healthy detox or diet trap?

Options

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Stupid gimmick. Eat fruit and veggies. It's that simple. You don't need a 400$ machine to get healthy nutrients from food. Why take out all the fibre? Doesn't make sense to me. Whenever you see a new "trend" , first question should be "who's making money off this?'

Same for scientific studies. If a study on juicing was commissioned by Dole or Tropicana or any of the small appliance manufacturers, then at the least the methods would bear extra scrutiny in case of bias, and potentially could be totally worthless.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    It is so in vogue now! My friends juice, and I hate doing it. I love fresh fruits and vegetables, and I eat a lot of both. If I do juice things at all, I don't like to add sweets to them; I like them savory. Cucumbers, spinach, that sort of thing. I am not fond of protein powder either, that seems like a highly processed substance to me, and probably a byproduct of the cheese making industry.

Yay, the article confirms the way I feel. I was feeling bad because I didn't like juicing!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    It is so in vogue now! My friends juice, and I hate doing it. I love fresh fruits and vegetables, and I eat a lot of both. If I do juice things at all, I don't like to add sweets to them; I like them savory. Cucumbers, spinach, that sort of thing. I am not fond of protein powder either, that seems like a highly processed substance to me, and probably a byproduct of the cheese making industry.

Yay, the article confirms the way I feel. I was feeling bad because I didn't like juicing!

What the? Huh? Whey and casein powders are made from milk, but there's tons of other proteins that are made from soy, rice, or even hemp.
  • sheenashe10
    Options
    Why not just stop eating the processed foods and chemicals? Locally grown fresh foods and meats that are humanely raised with appropriate foods and without hormones and antibiotics are more available now than they have been since the world was mostly woods and farmland. It might cost just a little more (or, for some things, considerably less) but wouldn't it be smarter to simply refrain from putting all that stuff in your body rather than stopping once in a while to clean it out with juices or fasting or whatever?

Your body handles "processed foods and chemicals" just fine without the need to detox.

Nvm I'm sleeping

You know you cannot resist. Give in to the Dark Side. Let it flow through you. Then juice cleanse it later and flush it down the toilet.

Juicing helped reduced the pain of my mother's arthritis. So juicing can some benefits for some people. Juicing isn't for everyone. It's like drinking raw eggs. It not for everyone.

What about it helped with her arthritis?

Yes my mother has less pain now so she juice once a day now. Her pain is more manageable now. I meet Joe Cross and he is also pain free from the skin disease he has. I guess sometimes juicing can have benefits in the long run.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Why not just stop eating the processed foods and chemicals? Locally grown fresh foods and meats that are humanely raised with appropriate foods and without hormones and antibiotics are more available now than they have been since the world was mostly woods and farmland. It might cost just a little more (or, for some things, considerably less) but wouldn't it be smarter to simply refrain from putting all that stuff in your body rather than stopping once in a while to clean it out with juices or fasting or whatever?

Your body handles "processed foods and chemicals" just fine without the need to detox.

Nvm I'm sleeping

You know you cannot resist. Give in to the Dark Side. Let it flow through you. Then juice cleanse it later and flush it down the toilet.

Juicing helped reduced the pain of my mother's arthritis. So juicing can some benefits for some people. Juicing isn't for everyone. It's like drinking raw eggs. It not for everyone.

What about it helped with her arthritis?

Yes my mother has less pain now so she juice once a day now. Her pain is more manageable now. I meet Joe Cross and he is also pain free from the skin disease he has. I guess sometimes juicing can have benefits in the long run.

So drinking juice once a day reduced her pain and cleared up someone's skin problems? Did they not eat fruits and vegetables before they started drinking juice?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    So I am confused and looking for clarification.

When people juice, does this mean they shove however many pounds of various vegetables and fruits through an actual juicer machine that dumps the pulp and they just drink the juice?

I thought people were blending the fruits and veggies into a drinkable liquid. Wouldn't this keep most of the fiber and more nutrients as well?

What the hell is the point of throwing half the fruit and vegetable (the pulp) away in juicing?!

Yes - what a waste. :cry:
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    EvenThatNameIsTaken Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    gary_busey_monster.gif

thank you so much!!! :laugh:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

When people juice, does this mean they shove however many pounds of various vegetables and fruits through an actual juicer machine that dumps the pulp and they just drink the juice?

Yes. About 65% might be juice and 35% pulp depending on the machine and what's going through it.

Much of the nutrition is in the juice (soluble carbohydrates, soluble fibre) so the nutrient split is likely to be more favourable than 65 / 35.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I think juicing is a good detox for a short period of time. Let's say up to 10 days. I can't detox yet but can't wait to. I would do a juice detox but eat small meals at the same time like salads, soups, lots of beans and veggies. I try to juice at least once a day. I love the documentary fat, sick and almost dead with Joe Cross. I actually meet him twice.

But why do you need to detox? And why would you detox, then reintroduce the 'toxins' into your system? I genuinely don't understand what juice detox's are supposed to achieve?

your body can build up pounds, literally pounds of fecal matter and other crap (hehe) within your large intestine and colon that aren't removed during typical... purging. cleanses get the rest of it out.

But what about all the homo erectus people? How did they purge their colons when they didn't even know what a colon was or why poop came out of their bottoms?

Sorry but what you said is ridiculous. If fecal matter really was building up in your intestines, then that would be a medical emergency. Natural selection has removed any animals from the gene pool whose intestines couldn't empty themselves without some form of intervention. (I say animals, because it's not just humans who have a digestive system)
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    your body can build up pounds, literally pounds of fecal matter and other crap (hehe) within your large intestine and colon that aren't removed during typical... purging. cleanses get the rest of it out.

This is simply not true unless your bowels aren't working properly to begin with. And when they stop working you will certainly know about it pretty quickly. For a healthy person there is literally nowhere for waste to go other than out. And EVERYTHING comes out eventually. Some people's bowels move slower than others, but that is to do with fibre and water intake. Not juice. How does removing fibre (the one thing your bowel really needs to keep things moving) and drinking sugary vitamin water help it function any better? That literally makes no sense. The walls of your bowel are smooth (unless you have diverticulitis*) so there is actually nowhere for waste to get trapped...seriously your comment is just stupid.

*If you have diverticulitis a juice cleanse will not help. Please see a doctor.

lol you're such a pleasant person. :heart:

You're right, they were perfectly pleasant and you gave a nasty and snotty response to something you have no real science to dispute. :heart:
  • CuAlMc
    CuAlMc Posts: 139 Member
    Options

I thought people were blending the fruits and veggies into a drinkable liquid. Wouldn't this keep most of the fiber and more nutrients as well?

What the hell is the point of throwing half the fruit and vegetable (the pulp) away in juicing?!

there is Juicing and than there is Blending. juicing is putting a few fruit and veg through a juicer and losing all solids from it. blending is putting the fruit and veg in a blender with a liquid such as water or milk or even yoghurt and mixing it till is smooth leaving all its fibre and nutrients in the drink.

ive tried both and blending is so much more filling and I think attainable. some times I don't feel like breakfast but I can have a banana, strawberry and youghurt smoothie and be full till lunch but I know I couldn't have a banan and strawberry juice and still be feeling full at lunch
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I think juicing is a good detox for a short period of time. Let's say up to 10 days. I can't detox yet but can't wait to. I would do a juice detox but eat small meals at the same time like salads, soups, lots of beans and veggies. I try to juice at least once a day. I love the documentary fat, sick and almost dead with Joe Cross. I actually meet him twice.

But why do you need to detox? And why would you detox, then reintroduce the 'toxins' into your system? I genuinely don't understand what juice detox's are supposed to achieve?

I'm no anthropologist, so correct me if im wrong, but homo erectus ate an awful lot of veggies, and not so many man-made chemicals or deep fried foods, yes?

Also it's important to note that I'm mostly playing devil's advocate in this thread. Not once did I mention toxins yet somehow it's been brought up quite a lot. I'm doing it to test a theory about mucosal production in my throat. Simple as that! But let's please keep flaming - it's awfully fun.

But what about all the homo erectus people? How did they purge their colons when they didn't even know what a colon was or why poop came out of their bottoms?

Sorry but what you said is ridiculous. If fecal matter really was building up in your intestines, then that would be a medical emergency. Natural selection has removed any animals from the gene pool whose intestines couldn't empty themselves without some form of intervention. (I say animals, because it's not just humans who have a digestive system)
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    There ARE toxins that can build up in your body if your liver and excretory system are not functioning properly. My father died from liver failure 10 years ago. In the final weeks of his life, if he didn't have a bowel movement for a couple of days, he would start to act 'drunk', and forget where he was, who people around him were, etc. One night he got out of bed and was trying to open the front door because he needed to go to work. He had been retired for 10 years at that point. He wasn't sleep walking, rather he was acting like he was drunk or high.
    The hospice nurse came and flushed out his colon a couple of times, but it didn't help much. The liver is what filters out those toxins in our body, and his was only functioning at about 10% at that point. He was also not eating much by that time, so there was not much 'build up' to even flush out. The nurse said that the flushing didn't do a whole lot, but it seems to make the families feel better that 'something' was being done.

So perhaps the 'juicing' is more of a mental thing for some people?

When my dad's liver stopped completely, he died. All the cleanses and flushing in the world would not have kept him alive.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    There ARE toxins that can build up in your body if your liver and excretory system are not functioning properly. My father died from liver failure 10 years ago. In the final weeks of his life, if he didn't have a bowel movement for a couple of days, he would start to act 'drunk', and forget where he was, who people around him were, etc. One night he got out of bed and was trying to open the front door because he needed to go to work. He had been retired for 10 years at that point. He wasn't sleep walking, rather he was acting like he was drunk or high.
    The hospice nurse came and flushed out his colon a couple of times, but it didn't help much. The liver is what filters out those toxins in our body, and his was only functioning at about 10% at that point. He was also not eating much by that time, so there was not much 'build up' to even flush out. The nurse said that the flushing didn't do a whole lot, but it seems to make the families feel better that 'something' was being done.

So perhaps the 'juicing' is more of a mental thing for some people?

When my dad's liver stopped completely, he died. All the cleanses and flushing in the world would not have kept him alive.

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. It sounds like he had hepatic encephalopathy, which happens when the liver can't break down our extra ammonia. There is a medication, Lactulose, given to some liver failure patients that helps them excrete the excess, but it causes icky diarrhea at the same time.

People generally won't have an excess of ammonia without being deathly ill.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

Also it's important to note that I'm mostly playing devil's advocate in this thread. Not once did I mention toxins yet somehow it's been brought up quite a lot. I'm doing it to test a theory about mucosal production in my throat. Simple as that! But let's please keep flaming - it's awfully fun.

eewww I didnt realize I messed up this reply. Here it is for easier viewing:

I'm no anthropologist, so correct me if im wrong, but homo erectus ate an awful lot of veggies, and not so many man-made chemicals or deep fried foods, yes?

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it to test a theory about mucosal production in my throat.

Have you tried cutting out dairy? If you have a slight dairy intolerance, that might be the cause of the mucous in your throat. I have known several people who had bad sinus infections, etc, and they were much better after cutting out dairy.

If your juice cleanse works, great, but if when you go back to eating regularly and your mucous returns, you may want to give the dairy issue a try.