C25K Starting Tomorrow (Dec- 27- 2010 Monday)

Options

Replies

• foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I attempted the C25K a couple months ago. When I began my first day, I started getting terrible pains in the front of my calves/shins about 1/4 of the way through the program. I stretched really well before starting, I was not going that fast (maybe the pace of a fast walk), and it felt like someone put their hand inside my shins and began ripping my muscles away.

I have tried to fight through the pain on several occasions and was told that the pain is from the calf muscles separating from the bone (or something about shin splints). I really, truly, sincerely want to get to the point where I can comfortably run a 5K, but my body just does not want anything to do with it.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated :)

NEVER stretch before! Always warm up before, but they have that in the program, ie. walk for 5 minutes.

STRETCH AFTER, this is so important. I had this problem before too, and just this week because I forgot how important stretching was after I run.

The best calf stretch that helped me immensely is to press your foot against a wall and lean into it. And then switch legs. You will feel your calves stretching when you do it. You can do this on a curb, on the wall, anywhere really! Please do this after you run and you will be solid.
  • IamRoJ
    IamRoJ Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    You will love this! I started in September and ended some time in November. When I started, one minute would leave me winded. Now I can run for 45 mins. straight most days. Best of luck!!!
  • VWBuggin1963
    Options
    Ok, I did Week 1 Day 1 yesterday.
    5 min warm up and 90 sec intervals at 3.0
    60 sec intervals at 4.2
    5 min cool down at 3.0

Total 25 mins, 1.36 miles, 250 calories.

I might try to step it up more tomorrow, but the 4.2 keeps my lungs burning and my heart rate at 165.
  • Dhathri
    Dhathri Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Ok, I did Week 1 Day 1 yesterday.
    5 min warm up and 90 sec intervals at 3.0
    60 sec intervals at 4.2
    5 min cool down at 3.0

Total 25 mins, 1.36 miles, 250 calories.

I might try to step it up more tomorrow, but the 4.2 keeps my lungs burning and my heart rate at 165.

Wow Amazing. I am getting little nervous for my first run. I hope my Shred and BL workouts will give me strength to complete it. I am motivated to do it. I will keep you guys posted after my run at noon. :)
  • taxford
    taxford Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm in too! Started at 5am this morning in the snow... felt like running in sand. I have to say I feel pretty good today, after the gluttonous weekend I had.
  • ironsister
    ironsister Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am starting week 4 of the C25k and its going pretty good. I have been downloading the podcast intervals from djsteveboy.com. The music is extremely helpful and time goes by really fast. I have completed several 5 ks in the past but always had to take walk breaks, I am looking forward to running the entire distance without walking! Good luck to everyone!
  • dinareed
    dinareed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Okay, so started Day 1 today. I couldn't go for as long as I would have liked. I will obviously have to work up to this...the ankle just won't allow me to go for so long. I went for 15 minutes and walked at a speed of 3.1 and stepped it up to a speed of 3.9 for the running part. Will try again tomorrow and see how long and fast I can go.
  • ZebraGlee78
    ZebraGlee78 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just wanted to encourage all of you that you can do it. I would suggest going to active dot com and signing up for a 5K at a point in the future that you feel comfortable with. That way you have that end date in mind, and then just make a goal of getting up to where you can keep your heart rate up for about an hour. I'm not the fastest runner and I do it in about 35 minutes, so even if you walk your first one, that's OK! Then you have a time to beat!
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    Status update: W1 D2 Complete, D3 tomorrow

Nothing is going to stop me this time !
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Starting this today, possibly. I'm pretty excited to eventually be able to run for more than 5 minutes without feeling like I'm dying.

I am most excited to eventually reap the benefits of running.. An anti-stressor during my upcoming last semester of nursing school starting in a couple of weeks, better overall health, weight loss, and the endorphins! :)
  • jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 68
    Options
    I would like to join this group if its ok. Have tried this before but the weather turned cold and icy. Wife got us (me) a treadmill for Christmas so I could get back to it. If interested there are free pod casts set to music that I have been using telling you when to walk and when to jog.
  • Dhathri
    Options
    Congratulations to all who made first day.

Hurry ...... I did it. I overcame my fear, at least to say I gave it a try. I cant tell how happy I feel. Thank you guys for your support and participation.

Warm up - 5 min - 3.5mph
    60 sec jog - 4.5mph
    90sec walk - 3.5 mph
    Cool down - 5 min - 3.5mph
  • Dhathri
    Options
    I would like to join this group if its ok. Have tried this before but the weather turned cold and icy. Wife got us (me) a treadmill for Christmas so I could get back to it. If interested there are free pod casts set to music that I have been using telling you when to walk and when to jog.

Thats a wonderful and thoughtful gift. Its a great way to start. Get going and keep us updated. :)
  • Dhathri
    Options
    Status update: W1 D2 Complete, D3 tomorrow

Nothing is going to stop me this time !

That's awesome.
  • Dhathri
    Options
    Okay, so started Day 1 today. I couldn't go for as long as I would have liked. I will obviously have to work up to this...the ankle just won't allow me to go for so long. I went for 15 minutes and walked at a speed of 3.1 and stepped it up to a speed of 3.9 for the running part. Will try again tomorrow and see how long and fast I can go.

Keep up the spirit. Keep going as long as your body permits. Sure, we all need to build up our strength.
  • Dhathri
    Options
    I am starting week 4 of the C25k and its going pretty good. I have been downloading the podcast intervals from djsteveboy.com. The music is extremely helpful and time goes by really fast. I have completed several 5 ks in the past but always had to take walk breaks, I am looking forward to running the entire distance without walking! Good luck to everyone!

Thank you for the reference will check it out.
  • Dhathri
    Options
    Hi! I just wanted to encourage all of you that you can do it. I would suggest going to active dot com and signing up for a 5K at a point in the future that you feel comfortable with. That way you have that end date in mind, and then just make a goal of getting up to where you can keep your heart rate up for about an hour. I'm not the fastest runner and I do it in about 35 minutes, so even if you walk your first one, that's OK! Then you have a time to beat!

That's a good suggestion and will keep us motivated to keep going.
  • cldaughe
    cldaughe Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I downloaded a pod cast of a C25K program when I originally started. I am NOT fond of the music and it doesn't do a 5 minute warm-up. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • Dhathri
    Options
    I downloaded a pod cast of a C25K program when I originally started. I am NOT fond of the music and it doesn't do a 5 minute warm-up. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have downloaded some of these songs http://www.motivational-well-being.com/motivational-songs.html

They certainly have helped me today with my workout. Good Luck :)
  • VWBuggin1963
    Options