How long after eating can I walk?

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's best for weight loss to walk and hour after you eat because physiologically it draws blood from your digestive system so less food is absorbed so less calories used and more calories burned.

Learned this from my Anatomy&Physio teacher.
    this is what I was asking^
    what I meant to ask was "Is it ok to walk right after you eat"

Let's just think about that sentence for a minute: "Physiologically it draws blood from your digestive system so less food is absorbed so less calories used and more calories burned".

Read it again. It doesn't make any sense on any level. Firstly your digestive system has food running through it, not blood. Your blood and veins are part of your circulatory system. Secondly, the second part is completely ludicrous; how is less food "absorbed" because of your activity level? And how does that possibly mean you would burn more or less calories??? Your body is capable of running its digestive system and circulatory systems at the same time. Fancy that! It's not like one bodily process stops in order for another to start. SCIENCE HOW DOES IT WORK.

The facts presented in this explanation is somewhat lacking. You may want to back down the snark level while you sort a few facts out
  • kim317
    kim317 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    this is a great article. in a nutshell you should walk right after eating it helps with digestion.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/06/12/diabetes-walk-after-meals/2408753/
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I used to walk while eating my breakfast all the time...it wasn't to help digestion or slow down absorption or anything like that. I was simply multitasking and I experienced no adverse side affects.
  • ublanchard
    Options
    I often take my dog for a walk right after I have dinner. We walk at about 3.5 mph for about 2 miles and I've never had a problem.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    It's best for weight loss to walk and hour after you eat because physiologically it draws blood from your digestive system so less food is absorbed so less calories used and more calories burned.

Let's just think about that sentence for a minute: "Physiologically it draws blood from your digestive system so less food is absorbed so less calories used and more calories burned".

Read it again. It doesn't make any sense on any level. Firstly your digestive system has food running through it, not blood. Your blood and veins are part of your circulatory system. Secondly, the second part is completely ludicrous; how is less food "absorbed" because of your activity level? And how does that possibly mean you would burn more or less calories??? Your body is capable of running its digestive system and circulatory systems at the same time. Fancy that! It's not like one bodily process stops in order for another to start. SCIENCE HOW DOES IT WORK.

The facts presented in this explanation is somewhat lacking. You may want to back down the snark level while you sort a few facts out

Which facts? I will glady retract anything incorrect I have written. Are you suggesting that calorie burns vary depending on how long after eating one goes for a walk...or that blood flow from exercise will somehow interfere with digestion...or vice versa? That is ridiculous based on my understanding of how the body works. It would be helpful if you could be more specific in your critique.
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Which facts? I will glady retract anything incorrect I have written. Are you suggesting that calorie burns vary depending on how long after eating one goes for a walk...or that blood flow from exercise will somehow interfere with digestion...or vice versa? That is ridiculous based on my understanding of how the body works. It would be helpful if you could be more specific in your critique.

QuietBloom already mentioned it.
    The body can prioritise blood flow.

I know its not PubMed, but it gives a basic overview:
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/exercise/sports-physiology8.htm

I should add that no calories are magically lost by this process as suggested by an earlier poster.
  • laurelboynton
    laurelboynton Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    but I don't want to walk for 40 minutes only to gain back all the calories I lost.
    D:

The OP meant that they don't want to eat back all the calories burned during the walk...Oh dear.

Calories burnt before or after or during meals are all still calories burnt!
  • GertrudeHorse
    Options
    Perfusion priority does exist. If needed, blood flow can be prioritized to either the gut or the skeletal muscles, but not both. Digestion will slow if flow is diverted elsewhere. Then it resumes normal speed when activity ceases. No calories escape into the ether in this scenario.

Yeah fair point but I think the crucial bit is the "if needed". Does the body find walking such a struggle that it needs to divert blood away from digestive processes (or any other processes for that matter)? Gentle movement and digestion are pretty constant activities and the body is capable of doing both things at the same time AFAIK. As in, neither process is prioritised; they're just both happening as the body goes about doing its thing.

(As a side point here, I'm curious to know how this fits with the observation that digestive processes actually ramp up when exercising...like insofar as running tends to "activate" things so you need to go to the toilet after you start. I imagine the calorie absorption isn't changing, as has been suggested, but it certainly seems to conflict with the earlier claim that exercise slows down digestion.)
  • algwynt
    algwynt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    it does not really matter,but it is allways best to let food digest for an hr or so before exersise.but dont let it stop you going straight after if you wish it wont do you any harm.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options

This makes no sense and actually contradicts itself. You didn't listen to your teacher correctly or your teacher is wrong.

ETA: You've actually said "less calories are used and more calories burned". This is a complete contradiction - using calories = burning calories, it's the same thing, so how can using less calories burn more? It can't.

OP, it is absolutely fine to walk after eating. if you are doing higher impact exercise like running or aerobics then I would wait an hour or so for your meal to digest a little, simply because all that food jiggling about in your stomach while you work out may make you feel sick and it can give you a stitch. But walking is gentle, there isn't much jiggling about so you'll be fine.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

And this is where science gets abused.
    The A&P teacher is technically correct - absorption is slightly reduced during activity and transit is increased. But the net result is basically close to zero. Digestion is not significantly reduced, transit is not significantlly increased. It's still in the order of 2-3%.

(The reason it is an hour, is that secondary gut digestion - absorption in the intestine starts about 20 minutes after ingestion and is blood supply dependent so "an hour" is smack in the middle of absorption - but don't worry about it. It isn't a physiologically significant trait)

Focus on the majors - 1) eat at a calorie deficit. 2) get your macros right for fat and protein. 3) move for fitness and, if needed, an additional calorie benefit.

Yes, it is fine to walk and eat and move all the time.
  • GertrudeHorse
    Options
    QuietBloom already mentioned it.
    The body can prioritise blood flow.

I know its not PubMed, but it gives a basic overview:
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/exercise/sports-physiology8.htm

I should add that no calories are magically lost by this process as suggested by an earlier poster.

Thanks for clarifying. I understand what you're meaning now...I hadn't raised it because the discussion was talking about walking not vigorous exercise. What I should have clarified is that even though blood can be diverted, enough blood remains in all parts of the body to ensure that processes keep going regardless. That's what I meant by things all happening at the same time. I didn't meant to imply that blood flow was never prioritised. I mean, evidently it is...isn't that why men lose their mental faculties when all the blood flows, er...southwards? :tongue:

The earlier post seemed to suggest that digestion slowed down during exercise to such an extent that it became effectively pointless...or something. Actually now I've re-read the claim again...
    It's best for weight loss to walk an hour after you eat because physiologically it draws blood from your digestive system so less food is absorbed so less calories used and more calories burned.

...I'm pretty sure I actually have no idea what it's even saying!!

ETA: I have now read if five or six times and this bit still makes no sense "less calories used and more calories burned"...what? Is that saying walking takes blood away from digestion so digestion doesn't happen? And then less calories are used in performing the exercise? But where are the more calories being burned...? In the digestion? Me confused.

ETA2: I think I'm over-thinking it. I'm doubting everything I know about the world!! All the calories are diverted to my brain and it's about to short circuit. Or maybe the blood went to my skeletal system because I started thinking...I declare that I officially know nothing about anything. It's been a long day.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    My grandmother started walking 3 miles a day when she was 90, and now we have no idea where she is...
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    You can walk immediately after eating, or eat while walking. But, do not try to run the country, while eating an ice cream cone.

reverse-1310033470_obama_licking_ice_cream.gif
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think that whole waiting to move around or exercise after you eat is a myth. Unless you've found it does affect you negatively then in that case you're the only one who can answer that question! :)

depending on how strenuous the exercise is, exercising right after eating can cause indigestion or even nausea or vomiting.

walking isn't strenuous enough to cause these problems though, unless the person is so unfit that walking gets them very out of breath.

OP I didn't get what you mean about gaining calories back after walking 40 mins though...
  • grumblefluff
    grumblefluff Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't like to be too full when I walk, but I do like to have a little something about an hour before for energy and then something protein-full about an hour after...you won't gain everything back if you eat after as long as you eat less than you burn
  • louannsab
    louannsab Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think that whole waiting to move around or exercise after you eat is a myth. Unless you've found it does affect you negatively then in that case you're the only one who can answer that question! :)

Some believe that moving around after eating causes appendicitis.
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

...isn't that why men lose their mental faculties when all the blood flows, er...southwards? :tongue:

Yep :blushing:

:laugh: :drinker:
  • GertrudeHorse
    Options

Some believe that moving around after eating causes appendicitis.

What? Who believes this? On what basis? I don't know anyone who remains motionless after eating...
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    You have to wait thirty minutes before walking or you could drown.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: