Failing :(

Options

Replies

• ChriJMitch
    ChriJMitch Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think it's time for you to step out of the child role in your family (being cooked for, being shopped for) and into the adult role. Which means you have to be firm with your parents, clue them into your goals and do your best to get their support.

Spend time in the kitchen with your dad and watch how he cooks, quantities and ingredients. If you have to, say you're making a note of the recipe just so that you know what you're eating.And who knows when you might want to recreate his cookery?

To change things you can't just claim helplessness, if you truly think there's nothing you can do that might help you, strangers on the internet are unlikely to be able to help.

Be clear with your mother about exactly what you don't want in the house and why you don't want it, and if she must buy it to either hide it or to get those tiny one-portion packs so that you can't overdo it. Go shopping with her if you must, and explain to her what your goals are and what you need to achieve them.

Your best hope is to get them on your side and they can be your encouragement and your help when you need it. You don't want to do this all on your own. Let them be part of the solution. Don't fall into dejection and despair, this isn't over while you choose to play on.

100% agree with this post. You have a kid, it's time to be an adult. Tell your parents you are trying to be healthy for you and your child. Take control of your life instead of letting others walk all over you. I understand you are in a tough spot as far as housing goes, but if your parents respect you enough to let you move back in, they will absolutely respect your decision to get healthy. If they say they won't stop buying the junk, then have some willpower, and just tell yourself no. Keep focused on your goal of being a good role model, it will help you through the tough spots.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Even in the best of circumstances, ending a relationship and moving are incredibly stressful things. A few years ago, I was on a good path to being healthy before my 6+ year relationship ended, and between that and some other circumstances in my life at the time, my self-esteem went right down the drain and diet and exercise went right along with it. I spent a long time beating myself up, thinking my way into a negative thought spiral, and I had to kick all of that before I was able to re-start.

What worked for me was shifting focus away from the scale and my body and towards food. Instead of weight loss being the goal, healthy eating became my goal. A goal of eating 5 veggies today is much easier to grasp than a goal of losing ___ pounds, which can take weeks, months, or even longer. I'm not saying that this will work for you, just that it worked for me.

I hope that you have some sort of counseling or support group to help, and that you're thinking of what you can do to cope with your disorder.

As far as the food in the house, maybe it would be good for you to start buying your own groceries. Ask for your own shelf on the fridge, your own cabinet, etc. Prepare your own meals, and don't even think about the food that isn't yours. And hopefully you will be able to move out sooner rather than later so that you can get yourself back on track.
  • Ecumft09
    Ecumft09 Posts: 16
    Options
    [/quote]
    So hard....LOL

I keep telling my mom we DON'T need it, but she continues to get it. :/ I rather not have it in the house at all, but she is just as addicted as I am. I swear, they put crack in that stuff....they have too...
    [/quote]

I understand about the Nutella thing. When I was on maternity leave (will be 3 in November) I ate it CONSTANTLY and marathon watched "Psych" on Netflix because the only way my daughter would sleep was when she was held. I have so conditioned my self with those two things that if Psych comes on the TV, I can TASTE Nutella and will start to crave it.

It seems you have had some major life changes that are a big deal. Cut yourself some slack. No one will judge you as harshly as you judge yourself and until you are TRULY ready to make changes you won't. I have lived in that world for years and it sucks. Trying to do things for you child is a great sentiment but when we are doing things for others instead of doing it for the love of us, it's not going to stick.

Take a step back and truly evaluate why you want to lose weight, Is it because you want to be healthy regardless of your size and model healthy BEHAVIORS (MIND and Body) for your child, or is it to be thin so you can show off to your Ex? Believe it or not there is a difference in mentality, and one can over come set backs but with the other set backs can derail your plans.

Also, if your parents aren't responsive to your requests for healthier eating options, you may need to accept the fact that you are going to have a harder time with temptation but your parent's love you and if they think you are serious about losing weight, I am sure they will hop on board.

If you would like to add me, I would love to be an accountability buddy.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    You have to switch your thinking and that starts with you. Before you come up with a "but" for that, understand that I'm currently 44 years old, (45 in a few weeks) and I've proven time and again that I can quit bad-mouthing myself, knocking myself down. Yes, old habits die hard and I have to constantly work at it (especially when I'm in the middle of a depression) but it can be done. Every morning when you wake up, tell yourself (out loud) something you like about you. Every night before bed, tell yourself (out loud) something that you did right (well, good, are happy with etc). Sticky notes (or dry erase markers on the mirror) in the bathroom about how you're worth it, about how you're a good mother, about how you're getting healthier each and every day. Nothing but positives surrounding you. Trust me, within 30 days, you'll see a change in your attitude.
    I agree with this. Whenever you feel yourself beat yourself up, consciously choose to tell yourself something good about yourself. Maybe even write it down, so you have it to go back to when you start to draw a blank.

I'm dealing with some major insecurity issues right now, and whenever I start the negative self-talk, I remind myself that I have studied math, physics, and a number of foreign languages, and I lift friggin' boulders. That helps me remember that I am an amazing and capable person.

And when you can't remember to do this when you start beating yourself up, don't beat yourself up about that! :laugh: Just jump in where you are and try to do better next time the negative self-talk starts. Pretty soon you'll remember to do it every time. And eventually, you probably mostly won't need to do it, because the negative self-talk will diminish.

We know you can do this, so it's time you knew it too! :happy:
  • ecottencat
    ecottencat Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Like what everybody else said baby steps. Maybe if you can't get into logging food right away reduce your portion size. Also maybe say hey every night my son and I are going to go do something active even if its just a walk. The point is to get use to being active then you can add in the running or the biking once you get into that habit. Also start saying no if they make a lot of desserts either have a small bite or say no and walk away maybe once a week and slowly build up till where you can say no I don't need whatever food it is everyday. This will slowly get you to a healthy and more active you.
  • Ecumft09
    Ecumft09 Posts: 16
    Options
    Just a thought on shin splints, when I first started jogging mine hurt too. I had to slow down until I got stronger, after a month or so I increased my speed with no pain. For me, jogging slow, at about the same pace as fast walking, is still a better workout than walking. I felt like an idiot on the jogging path but I improved and now pretty much look like a normal jogger :)

Also, you may want to get fitted for better shoes. I was doing the C25k program and was getting serious shin splints. I went to Omega Sports and had a video done of me walking and found out I needed stability shoes, and after that minimum problems (I developed a Morton's Neuroma but the shin splints were gone).
  • eatspopcorn
    eatspopcorn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of good suggestions here, but I didn't read all the comments so I may be repeating someone.

Have you tried to take a more active role in the kitchen with cooking the meals for you AND your parents? You mentioned you're not working, maybe this is a way you can give back to your parents for bringing you and your son in? I know there was something in there about schooling so I don't know if that will have an impact on your help in the kitchen, but if you're able to take over some of the cooking you can make things healthier. Don't add so much butter to the rice, in fact dont add any at all and let your Dad put butter on his portion, not the entire batch! If plain rice with water is not palatable to you, try cooking it with chicken or vegetable stock in place of the water. Adds flavor without a ton of added calories.

Just a thought. Even if you take a weekend to cook up a bunch of casseroles, chicken, etc for yourself to eat throughout the week would be helpful. Every little bit helps.

Also, the key to this thing is to not deprive yourself of anything (unless it is a medical reason for cutting it out). If you want that nutella, have it. But make yourself have something healthy with it and cut down on the portion size. Scoop out 1Tbsp of it into a bowl and eat it with a banana, or something like that!

I know how hard it can be to make these changes when there are others in the household who don't care about it. When I was growing up, it was the same with my parents. Now that I'm out of their household and into my own, my husband is supportive and appreciative of these changes because he would like to be healthier too. I hope you can find a way around their unsupported behavior, or find support soon. Good luck!
  • Tigermum9
    Tigermum9 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    so many bad things have happened in my life, death and a variety of chaos and unhappiness.I have gained hell of a lot of weight due to a thyroid issue and its very soul destroying. I dont have a supportive family or group of friends. My MFP friends are great though. I struggled for so long to lose a lot of weight quickly by restricting myself. I have finally got to a point of losing 1lb per week just by eating 1 choc bar a day instead of 2 and cutting the lattes down to teas etc, I could push myself further but I really dont feel Im ready. Because of my history with being out of control with food in the past I am SO happy with small losses and dont see myself a failure anymore.

Hope this help, add me if you want. I truly havnt even scratched the surface with the crappy life Iv had but it gets better I swear and Im here if you need a chat xx
  • ddeleonm09
    ddeleonm09 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think you just need to suck it up and do it. You're making too many excuses for yourself. If there is a problem, then there is a solution. You just have to find it. Don't lose hope. Control your own life and make it work for you.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I wasn't sure what the disorder you have was so I looked it up. Think I might have the same thing, so I learnt something interesting today! I think to get started you should find a specific reason to get healthy..your son. You want to be the best version of yourself for him so you can love him and raise him to the best of your ability! so to start focus on that, you're doing this for him. Then as you start losing weight you'll start to feel a little better about yourself and that will give you more motivation. You'll start to want to do it for you too. Start with slow changes. a small deficit, still eat nutella just a little less of it. Just know that your worth it and you deserve to have a happy healthy life just like everyone else. :) Best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You have gotten a lot of great advice. I understand how you feel and it is not easy. One thing, you have to make a life change for yourself, that you can keep up with. This means when the next time your stressed, you move, or something changes, you can still work around that change and keep up with your weight/fitness goals. This is my ultimate goal, to keep up with my weight for the rest of my life and never go back to emotional eating, over eating, and just eating. What better time than now to change, not tomorrow, not later, but now. If you want to change, than start trying. I made so many excuses for myself during the last year when I could have been just doing, and probably feeling better about my stressed out situations.
    I am not going back to who I was before I started losing, even if something horrible happens, I will keep learning to live healthy with food. I love my runs outside. Or at least I fake it enough to do it at times ^_^ This is what a life change means. I am still working on it and will keep it up, till I am happy with it. I struggle but I keep getting back up.
    I looked up your disorder. I fit that, however, I have never thought of my personality as a disorder or anything, just weak points to work through. And doing for your son or someone else really will only get you so far, you will have to make it about you. Do a work out vid at home if possible, go outside on walks or to the park with your son. Watch your dad cook, ask to cook, limit your potions, write everything down, and talk to your parents too. You have control over you and your life, even when you feel like the control slips, it is still there. I have to remind myself of this, alot!
    As far as your can not resist food, it is hard, I buy cookies and eat 6, well, bought some, ate 3 one day and than one a day after. I was soooo happy with myself. However Cinnamon Disc hard candies, I still have little control over. :grumble: Taking it one step at a time is great, or two steps at a time. Do what you can now, right this moment.
    Good luck hun :flowerforyou:
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    ...you said your brother didnt eat 80% of the food in th the house...how did he manage that?

He pretty much eats nothing but Atkins bars. It is ridiculous honestly. I am totally happy and all for him that he lost the weight and maintains it, but it just seems so damn unhealthy.
  • Ashwee87
    Options
    Just read through all the comments. Thanks to many of you for the feedback, suggestions and best wishes.

I think for now I will do my best to keep up with my food diary, then slowly make changes from there. Thankfully as it is warming up some, I can take my son outside more. He does enjoy walking down the road when myself and/or mom do. Though being 2, he does get sidetracked easily.

Also, not that it may matter to most, but my stb ex-husband cheated on me multiple times, so yeah, that has made my AvPD worse. I won't go into my life drama on that though. :/

Also, that really offends me that I am being called a "child". I don't know the tone since I am just reading it, but it really bothers me. I am a grown woman, I have a child of my own, have been out of my parents house since 2006 and I just got stuck in a very ****ty situation which gave me no option BUT to move into my parents house. Calling me a child because my parents cook (wtf?) is kinda not a nice thing to say....just thought I would throw that out there...I do NOT enjoy cooking. I never have. Some people like it, some don't. But just because my dad mostly cooks, doesn't mean I don't occasionally, despite me hating it. But even then my dad will sometimes go behind me and "fix" things.
  • ebilwabbit
    Options
    "I was trying to walking/jogging and do C25K, but I find myself giving up because as much as I really do enjoy it, my shin splints act up really bad"

There are a few things you can do to prevent these. Most people get shin splints because of the way they are running, not the amount (especially just starting out, since we aren't sprinting nor packing on the mileage).

Running with a heel-first strike can give even the most fit person shin splints, and it's the normal foot-to-pavement strike when walking. So, if you don't change how your foot lands when you go from walking speed to "gotta jog a bit to keep up", you're gonna be in pain. How to evaluate yourself:

The first 1.5 minutes of this video make it pretty clear, (Video by Newton Shoes) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OE1OPzBc04

1) Your shoes:

A good pair of running shoes will keep your ankles upright (not sagging inward/outward while you jog), and will have some flex in the front third of the shoe. Have someone look at your ankles from behind as you jog in a straight line. If your ankles are sagging outward or inward, you need a support running shoe. The flex in the front third of the shoe allows your foot bend naturally when it lands rather than slamming heel-first in a concrete bootie. For me, I need a very flexible shoe to run in to avoid splints, but it varies a lot depending on your build. The brand doesn't matter, as long as they correct your stride problems.

2) Your stride length:

It's really hard to break the habit, but running doesn't mean you have to use big strides. A big stride forces you to heel-strike, unless you're a very athletic sprinter, which most of us aren't. So, shorten your stride so your feet land under your body, and you land on the middle of the foot. This bounces the strike force of the run all the way up the whole leg and hips, rather than jarring it all into the shin. It takes practice, because it feels too-short, and the steps feel extra fast.

You don't have to suffer to jog, especially if you otherwise enjoy it! You enjoy it and it's fabulous exercise, so see if you can tweak it to make it work. :)
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Also, that really offends me that I am being called a "child". I don't know the tone since I am just reading it, but it really bothers me. I am a grown woman, I have a child of my own, have been out of my parents house since 2006 and I just got stuck in a very ****ty situation which gave me no option BUT to move into my parents house. Calling me a child because my parents cook (wtf?) is kinda not a nice thing to say....just thought I would throw that out there...I do NOT enjoy cooking. I never have. Some people like it, some don't. But just because my dad mostly cooks, doesn't mean I don't occasionally, despite me hating it. But even then my dad will sometimes go behind me and "fix" things.

I don't think the person meant you're actually a child, they meant you're sort of living in the *role* of a child as you live in your parents' home... which is very common for adult children who move back in with their parents so you're not all that out of the ordinary in that respect... But the way it looks right now is that you're allowing yourself to be somewhat dependent upon them (i.e., to cook and shop and such), which is the role of a dependent. Your role of a dependent is further exacerbated since you're also upset that you can't "control" what they cook and feel you can't lose weight because of it. This puts you in the role of a victim.

If you're genuinely upset about the inability to lose weight, and yet you're really an adult, then you shall have to step outside your comfort zone of "not enjoying cooking" and take control of your own situation. This is what an adult would do. A person in a child's role would continue to blame the parents and say they "just don't like cooking" and that's the end of it. Like you said, you're an adult and even a mother yourself - so you will have to act like one, in this situation, like you do in other areas of your life.

I think you'll find tremendous self-fulfillment, power, and peace in this, even though cooking isn't your favorite. And let's not forget - if you are divorced and will eventually move out of your parents, then you WILL be the primary caregiver in your home and will HAVE to cook for your child. May as well start now, right? :)
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

I get what you're saying, but really what was meant was that you are in the child role. Your parents need to step out of the parent role and let you manage your own affairs. They can support you during this time of difficulty by sharing their resources with you, but to allow you to develop into your best self (which is one of their jobs as parents, right?!), they need to step back and let you stand or fall on your own.

I hate cooking too. But I either do it or my husband will or we will pay someone else for food. Regardless of the method we choose, we ourselves are taking the responsibility for meeting the need. You can choose to meet your need by eating what your father cooks, or you can choose to do it some other way (cooking for yourself, buying a ready-made meal, etc.). All of the choices have their own consequences, but when you are in the adult role, you own the consequences, so you own the responsibility AND the authority. :smile:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

I don't think the person meant you're actually a child, they meant you're sort of living in the *role* of a child as you live in your parents' home... which is very common for adult children who move back in with their parents so you're not all that out of the ordinary in that respect... But the way it looks right now is that you're allowing yourself to be somewhat dependent upon them (i.e., to cook and shop and such), which is the role of a dependent. Your role of a dependent is further exacerbated since you're also upset that you can't "control" what they cook and feel you can't lose weight because of it. This puts you in the role of a victim.

If you're genuinely upset about the inability to lose weight, and yet you're really an adult, then you shall have to step outside your comfort zone of "not enjoying cooking" and take control of your own situation. This is what an adult would do. A person in a child's role would continue to blame the parents and say they "just don't like cooking" and that's the end of it. Like you said, you're an adult and even a mother yourself - so you will have to act like one, in this situation, like you do in other areas of your life.

I think you'll find tremendous self-fulfillment, power, and peace in this, even though cooking isn't your favorite. And let's not forget - if you are divorced and will eventually move out of your parents, then you WILL be the primary caregiver in your home and will HAVE to cook for your child. May as well start now, right? :)
    You posted while I was typing. Jinx. :drinker:
  • Ashwee87
    Options
    There are a few things you can do to prevent these. Most people get shin splints because of the way they are running, not the amount (especially just starting out, since we aren't sprinting nor packing on the mileage).

Running with a heel-first strike can give even the most fit person shin splints, and it's the normal foot-to-pavement strike when walking. So, if you don't change how your foot lands when you go from walking speed to "gotta jog a bit to keep up", you're gonna be in pain. How to evaluate yourself:

The first 1.5 minutes of this video make it pretty clear, (Video by Newton Shoes) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OE1OPzBc04

1) Your shoes:

A good pair of running shoes will keep your ankles upright (not sagging inward/outward while you jog), and will have some flex in the front third of the shoe. Have someone look at your ankles from behind as you jog in a straight line. If your ankles are sagging outward or inward, you need a support running shoe. The flex in the front third of the shoe allows your foot bend naturally when it lands rather than slamming heel-first in a concrete bootie. For me, I need a very flexible shoe to run in to avoid splints, but it varies a lot depending on your build. The brand doesn't matter, as long as they correct your stride problems.

2) Your stride length:

It's really hard to break the habit, but running doesn't mean you have to use big strides. A big stride forces you to heel-strike, unless you're a very athletic sprinter, which most of us aren't. So, shorten your stride so your feet land under your body, and you land on the middle of the foot. This bounces the strike force of the run all the way up the whole leg and hips, rather than jarring it all into the shin. It takes practice, because it feels too-short, and the steps feel extra fast.

You don't have to suffer to jog, especially if you otherwise enjoy it! You enjoy it and it's fabulous exercise, so see if you can tweak it to make it work. :)

Thank you for this. <3 I did get some really nice shoes over Christmas, but I still had the issue, which I honestly have felt may have been more due to how I run/jog. I am flat-footed, so I think that may be an issue as well.
  • uglycrying
    uglycrying Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That's great that you've maintained some healthy changes! It's also great that you posted here. You are by no means a failure. You need to stop beating yourself up, which I'm sure you know. I wish I could give more advice on that but it's something I struggle with too (depression here). Perhaps look into cognitive behavioral therapy/techniques to end the negative self-talk, there are plenty of techniques available free on the web (just did a quick cursory google search myself). Talk to yourself kindly like you would another person, be fair to yourself. Call that negative voice on its bull**** when it starts talking to you.

I agree with other advice to just begin with logging everything, most of my healthy changes came from this act alone. This is probably the most valuable thing you can do. You cut out drinks other than water/coffee/almond milk, you can approach other changes the same way you managed that. Measure everything to the extent you can.

I don't see why you can't cook your own meals separate from what your parents eat. Making your own meals will require extra effort... but isn't it worth it? It doesn't have to be elaborate either, if time is an issue.

I get that it sucks to live with people who don't care about making the same healthy changes but you can't change them and it's their house. The best & most influential thing you can do is lead by example, but even then they may not be interested. Control what you can: yourself. This isn't about them, it's about you. You can't use what they eat or do as an excuse for the choices you make. Other than cooking your own meals (which is probably the most feasible course of action), can you take over the cooking completely? Or cook with your dad? There are plenty of recipes on sites like skinnytaste.com that anyone could appreciate.

As for the Nutella and other junk, I've found that "out of sight, out of mind" works wonders. Can you convince your family to keep snacks like that out of sight, like in a special cabinet? Otherwise just measure how much of it you eat, gradually cut down-- or you may find it easier to abstain from it all together than to limit yourself. Personally, I make room in my calories to have something sweet almost every day, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. For best most long lasting results (imo), the food you eat to lose weight shouldn't be that radically different from what you'd normally enjoy.

You are stuck in a ****ty cycle... you need to break it and start a new cycle. Take some control. You are not powerless. I find that making one positive change leads to more and more... start a new cycle.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    You posted while I was typing. Jinx. :drinker:

High five!