My family has no self control.

Options

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Here's what I'd do.

Grapes? Wash them off, dry them gently, then, as one of your family members are watching you, stick a couple in your mouth, then spit them back into the bag with the others. Stare at them the entire time.

Whole grain crackers? Lick random ones (make sure you're seen doing so) and put them back in the package.
  • demibugg
    demibugg Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    By the way, just discovered a trick-- If I put "their" food on top of mine, even if it's all in tupperware they'll go for the food on top first. I guess like me, they want the quickest, easiest thing!
  • demibugg
    Options
    Here's what I'd do.

Grapes? Wash them off, dry them gently, then, as one of your family members are watching you, stick a couple in your mouth, then spit them back into the bag with the others. Stare at them the entire time.

Whole grain crackers? Lick random ones (make sure you're seen doing so) and put them back in the package.

I sure will look forward to those soggy, licked crackers later! :P
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Here's what I'd do.

Saves you some chewing later :tongue: Just let them SEE you do it once or twice...if they're smart they'll take a hint and leave your stuff alone.

You could try a small tool box that you can attach a lock too, something that will fit in the fridge.
  • demibugg
    Options
    Here's what I'd do.

Saves you some chewing later :tongue: Just let them SEE you do it once or twice...if they're smart they'll take a hint and leave your stuff alone.

You could try a small tool box that you can attach a lock too, something that will fit in the fridge.

A lockbox will probably be less expensive than a mini fridge, too. When I get paid this week I'll shop around for something!
  • MJ1975CA
    MJ1975CA Posts: 31
    Options
    An old boss always ate my lunch at work, he was just lazy. I knew it was him, but he would never admit it I made canned cat food sandwiches and left them in the work fridge. He ate them. I then announced at work that someone ate my lunch and whoever did just ate cat food. My food never disappeared again :) sugar free candy or fart bars (aka Fiber One bars) are another go to revenge food.
  • RWilson70
    Options
    Kudos on doing what you're doing and I wish you the best of luck. Sadly, I know exactly what you mean about your mom just laughing and brushing off your feelings. Same deal with mine. People act out of fear and anxiety without even knowing it. She may unconsciously perceive your weight-loss plan as a threat to her and as a rejection of the choices she has made for herself, and consequently, as a rejection of her as a mom. By endeavoring to be healthy, you are showing her that her way is "wrong", and few of us enjoy being corrected. She may be doing the best she can to manage her insecurities or her feelings of being "told" she has made the wrong choices in life and feeling rejected by you. But you don't have to fall prey to her feelings about herself or her feelings about you for that matter. Don't waste time trying to figure out people's motivations. Most of the time they themselves don't know why they do what they do. This journey is yours. Own it. In the meantime, I like the labeling ideas. The clearer the boundaries the better. Some will still violate them, but you can't control everyone. If you have a fridge at work, keep stuff there as well, assuming it is safe. Until you move, keep your chin up, and try to have a healthy plan B as often as you can for when your food goes missing.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I pre-pack most of my meals because I need to eat on the go a lot, and I live with my parents and little sister who are all overweight and not doing anything about it.
    So because I do the grocery shopping, I've been buying healthier stuff and things for them to eat and snack on as well, but all of us have a problem with "If e see it we eat it".

Today my mom woke up, grabbed a whole tupperware full of pasta salad I was planning on having for dinner, and digging in. This happens a lot, but for some reason this particular instance put me over the edge.

I've asked and explained multiple times that I'm trying to lose weight and having this food prepared is what's going to help me do it, and they always either turn it into a joke, act like they don't care what I'm doing, or use the good old "my house, my rules" thing.

I'm moving out in September, but I'm worried that if they keep this up I won't be able to hold out until then.

I guess I'm looking for advice or suggestions, because talking and explaining just won't do it anymore.
    Thanks in advance! c:

Buy a mini fridge and out it in your room... Or try and move out before September!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    An old boss always ate my lunch at work, he was just lazy. I knew it was him, but he would never admit it I made canned cat food sandwiches and left them in the work fridge. He ate them. I then announced at work that someone ate my lunch and whoever did just ate cat food. My food never disappeared again :) sugar free candy or fart bars (aka Fiber One bars) are another go to revenge food.

that's amazing.

seriously.

Also the Sugar Free Habiro bears- apparently those do wonders for your GI track- insta cleanse.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I wish it were that easy, but my mother does not experience guilt. If I asked her to do that she would laugh in my face, unbelievable as that sounds. And I don't rage at her or anyone. I'm not a loud, angry person in general.

I don't know, this whole thing is silly but she does things like it all the time. She likes to brush off my emotions and make a joke out of everything , no matter how many times I tell her it irritates me.

For the next week add generous amounts of crushed ex Lax into all the food you leave in the fridge and plan on alternate eating. When the week is up and they are all talking about how sick they were all week let them know why and remind them that you've repeatedly asked them not to eat the food you make/buy for yourself.

I did this to a room-mate in college and it worked like a charm. She never touched ANYTHING of mine again.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    (I didn't read all the comments will go back and read)

I recently allowed my mom to move in with me and first off a 30 year old man should not live with their mom especially when he's single and ..anyways not on point.

One of the conditions when she moved in was she had to lose weight and start eating right. I'm spending around 500/month on groceries and if you look at my diary you can easily see I'm not eating anywhere near that amount of food.

I didn't even realize how bad it was until I came home one day and an entire bag of bagels, block of cream cheese, pizza, bread, sandwich meat, etc,etc were gone. In one day she ate upwards of 30 dollars worth of food.

Between this and not working out she's not losing any weight and at this rate going to cause me to become poor. I explained in detail that from now on I wouldn't purchase any additional food and if she eats it all it's gone. Tonight we're writing down together a pre-planned diet for every single day and meal that she's allowed to eat as well as me. If she deviates from this plan she will have to move out no questions asked (making her sign). I realize this may sound silly but when dealing with someone like my mom they must be hard consequences to her actions if anyone has a better idea I'm all ears.

It's difficult putting my foot down when it's my mom but the plan was for her to stay at my place for one year and move out on her own. It's been 1/2 of that time already and she's not making any changes to better her life. When I bring the topic up she either gets extremely defensive or passes it off as she's just not listening.

Sorry didn't mean to make this about me but I just wanted to write I understand where you're coming from and it can be incredibly difficult dealing with family members and food.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Start by stop judging other people. If they don't live up to your (new) standards of health and fitness, that's their problem and none of your business.

Until you move out try labeling/hiding/storing elsewhere or even locking up the food that belongs to you and you don't want your family eating.

As for there being temptations in the house, there's nothing you can do other than exercise self-control. Gotta learn it sometime, might as well make it now. Good luck with your goals.

How is she judging them? It's not unreasonable to be upset that someone else ate the food that she prepared for herself.

No, it's not unreasonable at all. However
    my parents and little sister who are all overweight and not doing anything about it.

sounds kinda harsh and unnecessarily judgmental, especially seeing that OP makes it sound like she only recently made the switch to healthier foods herself.
  • demibugg
    Options
    Start by stop judging other people. If they don't live up to your (new) standards of health and fitness, that's their problem and none of your business.

Until you move out try labeling/hiding/storing elsewhere or even locking up the food that belongs to you and you don't want your family eating.

As for there being temptations in the house, there's nothing you can do other than exercise self-control. Gotta learn it sometime, might as well make it now. Good luck with your goals.

How is she judging them? It's not unreasonable to be upset that someone else ate the food that she prepared for herself.

No, it's not unreasonable at all. However
    my parents and little sister who are all overweight and not doing anything about it.

sounds kinda harsh and unnecessarily judgmental, especially seeing that OP makes it sound like she only recently made the switch to healthier foods herself.
    The only reason I mentioned that they weren't doing anything about themselves is because I felt it was an important point. If they wanted to get into being fit and healthy of course I'd be fine with letting them eat the stuff I make, but I spend a lot of my paycheck on things that they wouldn't think twice about if I didn't bring them home, it just makes me a bit miffed that they can eat what they like and yet they go for the things I'm allowed first.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Mom, did you eat that pasta salad?

Yes, why?

Oh .. oh no ..

What? Why?

Nothing. It-it's nothing. You'll probably be ok ..

(then make yourself scarce for a couple hours)
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    By the way, just discovered a trick-- If I put "their" food on top of mine, even if it's all in tupperware they'll go for the food on top first. I guess like me, they want the quickest, easiest thing!

Haha - nice trick!

Honestly I am proud of you for not losing your mind about this. I am pretty militant about my food, and if I were living at home and spent my paycheck on groceries, and everyone else ate it all... oh my God. Just oh my GOD.
  • demibugg
    Options

Haha - nice trick!

Honestly I am proud of you for not losing your mind about this. I am pretty militant about my food, and if I were living at home and spent my paycheck on groceries, and everyone else ate it all... oh my God. Just oh my GOD.

Yeah!! I didn't lose my mind!! I don't even cry over food!! ... At all!! Yeah!! ;P
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Mini fridge if you can, even second hand

lock on your door

portion your food into smaller containers and put some in the back of the fridge. Even if some of the ones at the front get eaten you should have a few to eat for yourself. Dark containers. I'd even consider putting the calories on the top and how many servings it is. Your mom may or may not seem to care but seeing those numbers might have some sort of impact

Keep dry goods/snacks in your room in a sealed bin/container. Where ever your family would not look for it.

How about making food for your family as well- I do that sometimes with my husband. Sort of a "you can eat this one" and that usually stops him eating the other container :)
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    this reminds me of a former roommate I had who bought no groceries for 8 months and instead ate all of my food! After a while I figured out that he went for the 'easy' stuff first. Blocks of cheese? full boxes of granola bars? 4 Litres of ice cream? 1/2 a loaf of bread? a full box of cereal? He even ate 2 full boxes of bakers chocolate! (He wasn't overweight, he just had a very high metabolism and only would eat at home since food was 'free' there... grrrrrrrr). We had to change what we bought since he believed anything in the kitchen was free game. So we bought a cheap plastic organizer and anything that didn't need to be refrigerated went in there in our room. As for vegetables and berries, I bought frozen (he was too lazy to thaw). Also there was a grocery store on my way to work so sometimes I would just pick up a few pieces of fruit on my way to work. It was a crappy way to live, but it worked as a temporary solution until he left.

and yes... I am so done with roommates LOL :P
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    is there a university of college in your town? if so go check online right now! Many students are heading home for the summer soon and if they don't have a place to store their stuff they tend to sell it for really cheap! Someone probably has a mini fridge! :D
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Don't get me stated on lodgers/ flatmates...

but I can eat hotter food than most people so I over spiced everything for a while. it slowed them down but never stopped them.
    living alone, well with a food phobic child, is a lot easier. These days I would be ecstatic if food was taken from the fridge.