Shin-splints ???

Options
2»

Replies

• aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for the advice! I am hoping to buy new shoes the beginning of May. I have been to a running store for a fitting and they told me my current shoes were fine. I do use Good Form Running tips and always strech prior to working out. I will be adding Toe Taps to my streching and see how that goes. Thanks again.

You didn't specify, so I wanted to mention, don't do static stretching before working out. You don't want to stretch cold muscles as that could cause injury, only stretch after your workouts when they're warmed up. Instead, before working out, you want to do dynamic stretching, which for running, would be thinks like walking, a slow jog, maybe jumping jacks, just something to warm-up the muscles so you don't start off cold can be helpful, and something that mimics the exercise you'll be doing, but at a lower intensity is best (such as walking).
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    Thanks I usually walk for a few minutes prior to starting to jog. BTW... I had a heartattack a few years ago and can only run for a maximum of around 5 mins straight. ( I keep my heart rate below 160) Could the starting and stopping be an issues??
  • Hophead43
    Options
    That is the second post about streching cold... I do usually strech prior to doing anything, then I walk for a few miniutes before jogging.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i recommend RICE

but honestly, unless your 18 or training for something, i think the best thing to do is

run

let them heal ALL THE WAY

run

let them heal ALL THE WAY

run

eventually they should heal much faster and soon you will not experience shin splints anymore.
  • drums0203
    Options
    In addition to shoes, i HIGHLY recommend either calf compression sleeves or socks. These made a world of difference. I had shin splints and since wearing these, the pain is pretty much non-existant. I have large calves so I had to order XXL online. CEP and 2XU are the two I would most recommend but if you have a sporting goods store near, go in and talk to them too.
  • Hophead43
    Options
    I went yesterday and just walked for a few minutes and then began to run. I will say I got much further before feeling any discomfort and really had to stop more for my heart rate then for my legs. Thanks you all for the tips!! BTW..drums0203, I have a compression sleeve and usually wear it when I exercise. Thanks again all!!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Its probably been said already, but go to a running store and get fitted for the correct shoe for you! I had shin splits as well, and needed an extra cushioning shoe. Once I got the right shoe, the problem was gone immediately.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I went yesterday and just walked for a few minutes and then began to run. I will say I got much further before feeling any discomfort and really had to stop more for my heart rate then for my legs. Thanks you all for the tips!! BTW..drums0203, I have a compression sleeve and usually wear it when I exercise. Thanks again all!!

I know you didn't ask for this advice, but here's my advice. Slow your pace. If your HR is getting too high to keep going, you're running too fast. Slow it down until you are running at a pace you think you can sustain (even if it's a very slow jog). You'll naturally get faster as you keep training, but for now, just slow it down.
  • kalybo01
    kalybo01 Posts: 2
    Options
    Start with a light warm-up of walking first. Stretching beforehand is literally one of the worst things you could do with a majority of physical activities, especially those that are high impact. When you stretch, and go right into running, your muscles essentially "freak out". A former ballet teacher said something that has stuck with me: stretching before your body is warm is the equivalent of stretching out a rubber band after taking it out of the freezer. Your body needs to be "warm" and hydrated to prevent your muscles from "snapping", or becoming fatigued before you even begin. Yes, shin splints are the WORST, and you may feel like the pain will not go away any time soon. Try drinking a lot of water, eating some bananas and resting until you feel like your body is ready for another go! I admire you for going for it! Good vibes sent your way in working towards your goals :-)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if you might do better if you do not try to run at the moment. I read somewhere that running only uses about the same calories as you would walking the same distance so you only, in theory gain time for something else. If you are not used to exercise you will need to "run" yourself in. Treat yourself as if you were a shiny new car. Go easy on yourself till you get stronger.
  • Hophead43
    Options
    Thanks for the Vibes!! I had a pretty nice day yesterday, no pain! I have to stop running due to heart issues but those are issues are easier to work on without the pain.
  • Hophead43
    Options

I know you didn't ask for this advice, but here's my advice. Slow your pace. If your HR is getting too high to keep going, you're running too fast. Slow it down until you are running at a pace you think you can sustain (even if it's a very slow jog). You'll naturally get faster as you keep training, but for now, just slow it down.

I started at 5.5 for the first two cycles of 4 mins with 3 min 3 mph walks in between. After that I did 5.3 mph and the last couple were 5.0. I honestly think I can go longer but since my heart attack in 2010 I have a mental block.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm flat footed and had no experience running when i first started, but I went to a running store and got my measurements and a new pair of shoes. They really helped the pain subside, but I still generally got the shin splints after about 5 minutes. You really have to just get your legs used to the impact. Look into the program C25K, it really helps out. I went from not being able to run 3 minutes straight, to running 2 miles without stopping (just came back from a jog). It helped me pace myself and learn to not push myself too hard. Plus, it only took me about a month and a half to get to where I am!