Quick way to get the weight going down!!

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Fly at higher altitudes.
    Weigh in outside of Earth's atmosphere.
    Cut off a limb.

There are several quick ways that are legit. May not like the result, but they're still legit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I would just read the sexy pants link and ignore the snowflakes

x1milliontrillion bazillion
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

actually according to http://ndep.nih.gov/diabetes-facts/

Studies have shown that by losing weight and increasing physical activity people can prevent or delay prediabetes from progressing to diabetes.

Sure, absolutely. What's your point? I'm not debating that at all, but merely for these people, losing weight is usually not as easy as it is for those that don't have these issues.

You're still talking about a HUGE portion of the population with these issues -- 40%+ of the ADULT US population. That's not "pretty darn rare" AT ALL.
    And out of the 20million that have some sort of thyroid issue there is also the hyper form which causes weight loss and even the ATA says "More than 12 percent of the U.S. population will develop a thyroid condition during their lifetime."

That doesn't mean they have it now...

so let us be realistic...it is not as common as you say either...if people with prediabetes lose weight they reduce their chances...and those trying to lose weight probably don't have tyhroid issues atm...

nice scare tactic tho...

Once again, what's your point? I'm just giving you the numbers. No matter how you slice it, it's not that uncommon. And this is for only two issues: thyroid and prediabetes/diabetes. You still have other issues out there -- adrenal, liver, etc.

And it's not about scaring anyone, it's about addressing reality. This is the REALITY. Perhaps if more of us acknowledged it, we could start to smartly look at underlying causes instead of just trying to insist they don't exist or are "pretty darn rare".

Denial is not just a river in Egypt.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I never said I was debating or not debating this...I am not debating the CICO thing with you.

I was just clarifying your numbers...since you left important facts out.

such as losing weight can help the prediabetics...prevent or delay...and may never have to deal with insulin etc.
    such as 12% "WILL" develop thyroid issues but not neccessarily hypo..but could be hyper...which isn't an issue for weight loss...adrenal issues usually cause problems with keeping weight on, cushings causes weight gain in the face etc but is rare 10-15 in every million...

Reality is perception and without all the facts and data realitiy (perceptions) can be skewed.

These issues are not as common as you want other to believe....nor do they all make losing weight difficult...and there are lots of success stories to prove that as well....
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    I never said I was debating or not debating this...I am not debating the CICO thing with you.

such as losing weight can help the prediabetics...prevent or delay...and may never have to deal with insulin etc.
    such as 12% "WILL" develop thyroid issues but not neccessarily hypo..but could be hyper...which isn't an issue for weight loss...adrenal issues usually cause problems with keeping weight on, cushings causes weight gain in the face etc but is rare 10-15 in every million...

Reality is perception and without all the facts and data realitiy (perceptions) can be skewed.

These issues are not as common as you want other to believe....nor do they all make losing weight difficult...and there are lots of success stories to prove that as well....

I don't know how what I said was incorrect.

To diabetes, I said:
    35% of the adult US population -- or 79 million --- has prediabetes
    8% -- or 25 million -- has full blow diabetes

And you said:
    •25.8 million Americans have diabetes — 8.3 percent of the U.S. population. Of these, 7 million do not know they have the disease.
    •It is estimated that 79 million adults aged 20 and older have prediabetes. Prediabetes is a condition where blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough to be called diabetes. Studies have shown that by losing weight and increasing physical activity people can prevent or delay prediabetes from progressing to diabetes.

You really think there is a significant difference there? Really?

To thyroid issues, I said:
    12% of adults will have a thyroid condition some point in their lives
    20 million in US population have some form of thyroid disease (60% of which are undiagnosed)...

8% has a thyroid disorder, most of which are undiagnosed. Since both lead to weight gain (well, hypothyroid does), there's probably an even higher percentage in the overweight population. That's NOT rare.

And you said:
    And out of the 20million that have some sort of thyroid issue there is also the hyper form which causes weight loss and even the ATA says "More than 12 percent of the U.S. population will develop a thyroid condition during their lifetime."

Once again, you think that's substantively different? Really?

The whole point is that these issues aren't RARE, not that diet and exercise will be futile. I never said any such thing, nor implied it. It just means that people with these issues have greater challenges to weight loss and maintenance. So, just shoving the same old advice down their throats is not necessarily going to be the best advice for them -- because they have other issues that contribute to the overall situation. And such issues aren't "pretty darn rare".

I don't think anyone wants to be one of these "special snowflakes". I sure as heck know that I wish I wasn't one. But, perhaps, had I gotten better advice and information early on, I wouldn't have wasted so much time and effort pushing that syphian boulder up the hill. I would have learned earlier how to work smarter and not necessarily harder.

That's all I'm trying to get out there -- that there are legitimate reasons for difficulties people have and people like you and the other poster that malign them, insist that their "pretty darn rare" or belittle people by calling them special snowflakes, etc. does not help the problem. It only encourages ignorance and unnecessary shame rather than helping them.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    That's all I'm trying to get out there -- that there are legitimate reasons for difficulties people have and people like you and the other poster that malign them, insist that their "pretty darn rare" or belittle people by calling them special snowflakes, etc. does not help the problem. It only encourages ignorance and unnecessary shame rather than helping them.
    Fair enough, but the reasons don't change the fact that people will have to burn more calories than they eat to lose weight, whatever it takes to accomplish that for them.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Fair enough, but the reasons don't change the fact that people will have to burn more calories than they eat to lose weight, whatever it takes to accomplish that for them.

Yes, and no. Yess people people need to burn more calories than they consume as a general rule.

But, when you have faulty biological reactions taking place, that can considerably alter the balance of that equation. So, even though they're consuming at a considerable deficit, they won't see weight loss in the same manner, and sometimes at all. That's why vitamin deficiencies, certain medications and hormonal balances are so important. It's not just your straightforward CICO calculation when you have misfiring biochemical reactions. The body has considerable survival mechanisms for a reason.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I don't know how what I said was incorrect.

To diabetes, I said:
    35% of the adult US population -- or 79 million --- has prediabetes
    8% -- or 25 million -- has full blow diabetes

And you said:
    •25.8 million Americans have diabetes — 8.3 percent of the U.S. population. Of these, 7 million do not know they have the disease.
    •It is estimated that 79 million adults aged 20 and older have prediabetes. Prediabetes is a condition where blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough to be called diabetes. Studies have shown that by losing weight and increasing physical activity people can prevent or delay prediabetes from progressing to diabetes.

You really think there is a significant difference there? Really?

To thyroid issues, I said:
    12% of adults will have a thyroid condition some point in their lives
    20 million in US population have some form of thyroid disease (60% of which are undiagnosed)...

8% has a thyroid disorder, most of which are undiagnosed. Since both lead to weight gain (well, hypothyroid does), there's probably an even higher percentage in the overweight population. That's NOT rare.

And you said:

Once again, you think that's substantively different? Really?

The whole point is that these issues aren't RARE, not that diet and exercise will be futile. I never said any such thing, nor implied it. It just means that people with these issues have greater challenges to weight loss and maintenance. So, just shoving the same old advice down their throats is not necessarily going to be the best advice for them -- because they have other issues that contribute to the overall situation. And such issues aren't "pretty darn rare".

I don't think anyone wants to be one of these "special snowflakes". I sure as heck know that I wish I wasn't one. But, perhaps, had I gotten better advice and information early on, I wouldn't have wasted so much time and effort pushing that syphian boulder up the hill. I would have learned earlier how to work smarter and not necessarily harder.

I never said your numbers were incorrect tho....try not to read to much into what is typed or put words in my mouth

The difference is this...
    Prediabetes is a condition where blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough to be called diabetes. Studies have shown that by losing weight and increasing physical activity people can prevent or delay prediabetes from progressing to diabetes.
    Which you neglected to add to your information...meaning that yes there are lots that have prediabetes but that doesn't mean that they will get diabetes if they lose weight

and as far a issues with thryroid issues you neglected to mention the lose of weight is an issue for a certian type...not just weight gain and that the 20million could have "issues" in their lifetime not at this time...not that they do but could and since there are extreme in both sides. Oversight I am sure.

As well what I said was that they may not be extremely rare but they are not as extensively felt by the general population as your numbers are indicating...and I say that just based on what you put in your first post...which was just numbers, didn't mention the fact that hyper doesn't cause weight gain and that prediabetes does not mean you can't lose weight...or that it will turn to diabetes...

Quote from me

And we aren't talking about 40% of the US population at this point in time...since the 20 million with thyroid issues is stated "could have"...not do have..that is the way in which it is sliced..."could have"...which means out of that 20million it is possible less than 1% have issues each year and they are treated and it's under control etc...because a lifetime is well over 20 years...so 20million over an average life of 80 years...pretty small number now...

As well if people have issues with the above and ask questions about intake and want help they need to disclose it up front...so that advice for them can be given based on medical conditions...otherwise they are treated just like everyone else and given the advice that works for 80-90% of the people who asked for it here...why because those with medical issues will typically be consulting with a doctor.

so in short...I didn't say your numbers were wrong I just added information to them so that realitity (perception) wasn't altered due to inadequate data...and yes 20million in their lifetime is significantly different than 20million at this moment...makes the percentages much smaller...and if people want advice then they should disclose upfront to get advice for them.

So again just clarifying your information with more information...not disputing or debating...
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    You do realize that adding just the diabetes and prediabetes numbers is over 40% of the US adult population, right?

And, yes, I never said it was impossible for people with diabetes or prediabetes to lose weight, but you realize when people have these conditions it is often much more difficult to lose weight, right?

And that a significant amount of them are undiagnosed (1/3 of those with diabetes -- I'm not sure how many with prediabetes)?

That's a lot of "special snowflakes".
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself a special snowflake because I have a harder time losing weight because of my medications and what causes the need for them. I consider my mother a snowflake, however, because she has no thyroid and they can't find the right balance of medication for her yet.

Some people have problems that they let impede their weight loss while others have problems they don't have control over but try their best anyway to lose weight, like my mother. My mother is a HUGE inspiration for me because of what she's accomplished with all the impediments she has. If I could be like anyone, I'd be like her because she doesn't let anything stop her and she always tries.

For me, I just have to be as diligent as possible otherwise I won't lose weight and I will instead gain it. My medical problems won't stop me, just slow me, and I will troop on.

Not to say people don't have difficulties, but most difficulties can be overcome with great effort.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to get into this but I did want to point out that those with pre-diabetes can definitely have issues losing weight and it's not necessarily CICO for them.

When I first met my best friend she weighed nearly 300 pounds at 5'1". She and I went on a diet together (I'm 5'3" and had about 10 pounds to lose.) We were eating practically the same diet and walking together on our breaks at work. She and I were losing weight at about the same pace which shouldn't have been happening given how much more she had to lose than I did. So we switched to a low sugar/carb, high fat, high protein diet. Not only did I lose weight faster but over the next year she lost 130 pounds. Diabetes runs in her family, so she'll always need to be a bit careful about how she eats.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the threads about Paleo or whatever. If I repeat anyone else I agree with them! Losing weight quickly is not an optimal way to diet. Slow and steady wins the race. Tweek your diet/exercise until it does work for you. This might take some time. You didn't gain weight overnight and you need to give yourself some time to take it back off!
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    People really need to stop telling everyone it's a simple deficit. Yes, for a lot of people, this works; however, there is no need to make people feel stupid or like they must be doing something wrong just because a deficit isn't working for them. It IS more complicated for some people than it is for others. I would weigh a LOT less if a deficit worked for me, but when I eat at TDEE - 15/20%, I get nowhere.

Are you weighing your food? If you're decently healthy and have no conditions (Diabetes, PCOS, Insulin Resistance, etc.) that would restrict your weight loss, you may be eating more than you think you are. I personally used to eat less than I thought I was, and then wonder why I was constantly hungry and binging at night. I once passed out thinking I'd eaten around 9 oz of chicken all day, when really I'd only had around 2-3. A LOT of people are the opposite, though, so make sure you're counting your calories correctly.

As for the deficit, if it's not working for you, you're not alone. Certain conditions may prevent a deficit from being the only diet-change necessary. I personally have PCOS and have to net significantly under my calorie goal in order to lose weight. I also try to stick to a high-fat, mod-protein, low-carb (and by low, I mean around 30g per meal, not 30g per day) diet. Sometimes, when there are conditions such as these, Macros matter A LOT. PCOS comes with insulin resistance, so carbs and sugars are not my friends.

Good luck losing! Just remember that everyone's body is different, and it's a process figuring out what works for you. Not everyone responds so quickly to a caloric deficit.
    The only exception to the calorie deficit rule is a medical condition. Otherwise, you WILL lost weight at a deficit.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to get into this but I did want to point out that those with pre-diabetes can definitely have issues losing weight and it's not necessarily CICO for them.

When I first met my best friend she weighed nearly 300 pounds at 5'1". She and I went on a diet together (I'm 5'3" and had about 10 pounds to lose.) We were eating practically the same diet and walking together on our breaks at work. She and I were losing weight at about the same pace which shouldn't have been happening given how much more she had to lose than I did. So we switched to a low sugar/carb, high fat, high protein diet. Not only did I lose weight faster but over the next year she lost 130 pounds. Diabetes runs in her family, so she'll always need to be a bit careful about how she eats.
    Everyone has a different macro distribution that works best for their body. That doesn't mean your friend is special -- it means that her body is not your body. It also doesn't discount CICO. If she eats low sugar/carb, high fat, high protein at a surplus, she'll still gain weight.
  • KatyRu
    KatyRu Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    People really need to stop telling everyone it's a simple deficit. Yes, for a lot of people, this works; however, there is no need to make people feel stupid or like they must be doing something wrong just because a deficit isn't working for them. It IS more complicated for some people than it is for others. I would weigh a LOT less if a deficit worked for me, but when I eat at TDEE - 15/20%, I get nowhere.

Are you weighing your food? If you're decently healthy and have no conditions (Diabetes, PCOS, Insulin Resistance, etc.) that would restrict your weight loss, you may be eating more than you think you are. I personally used to eat less than I thought I was, and then wonder why I was constantly hungry and binging at night. I once passed out thinking I'd eaten around 9 oz of chicken all day, when really I'd only had around 2-3. A LOT of people are the opposite, though, so make sure you're counting your calories correctly.

As for the deficit, if it's not working for you, you're not alone. Certain conditions may prevent a deficit from being the only diet-change necessary. I personally have PCOS and have to net significantly under my calorie goal in order to lose weight. I also try to stick to a high-fat, mod-protein, low-carb (and by low, I mean around 30g per meal, not 30g per day) diet. Sometimes, when there are conditions such as these, Macros matter A LOT. PCOS comes with insulin resistance, so carbs and sugars are not my friends.

Good luck losing! Just remember that everyone's body is different, and it's a process figuring out what works for you. Not everyone responds so quickly to a caloric deficit.
    Eating at a deficit is the one truth about losing weight. Granted that medical problems can impede weight loss, it's pretty darned rare. Your deficit may need to be adjusted but, still, all it takes to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn. :smile:

The type of food you eat has nothing to do with losing weight. You can eat twinkies all day while staying at a deficit and you will lose weight. You might not feel very well, but you'd still lose.

Look at my ticker. I've lost 42 pounds the foods I like, and this includes foods that I'd cut out in earlier diets because I had labeled them as "fattening". I have been successfully maintaining.

I agree it is as simple as a deficet...simple not easy.

As for medical conditions yes they exist but it doesn't change the deficet calculation it just means you have to be more diligent on your logging and intake etc.

As well my ticker (and a lot of tickers here) eat what we want in smaller portions and lose weight using CICO.

No where do people try and make others feel stupid or that they are doing something wrong because a deficet isn't working for them...truth is they are not working the deficet....

Not true. I do eat over my calorie goals every once in awhile, but almost NEVER over my TDEE (even if I claim to be sedentary, though my work involves around 4-8 hours of constant walking around). Even with water, I gain weight like nothing if I net 2000 or even 1800. I have to be eating the right foods or eating less than 1000 calories to lose weight. How is the DEFICIT working? It's not that simple.

And yes, I weigh all my food. I use a HRM to calculate exercise burns, and eat back less than half of my exercise calories. Most days, my calories in add up to less than 1800, with my net somewhere between 800-1200. I still can't lose much weight unless I actually count macros and cut back on certain things. I never said I cut out anything completely, I just eat it in smaller portion sizes according to IIFYM while still maintaining a decently large deficit.

I'm not going to get into a long CICO debate with you (and I definitely agree with the sentiment that sticking to macros with a caloric surplus isn't helpful unless you're bulking), but just realize how you make those of us who this doesn't work for feel. I constantly feel like I'm doing something wrong when I look at the forums and wonder why the same thing that works for you guys doesn't work for me, and then I have to remember that my body and your body and anyone else's body are not identical, and what works for you may very well NOT work for me. Everybody's bodies are different.
  • KatyRu
    KatyRu Posts: 55 Member
    Options

The only exception to the calorie deficit rule is a medical condition. Otherwise, you WILL lost weight at a deficit.

Okay, cool. Never said you wouldn't. I ACTUALLY said that if the OP was healthy with no underlying conditions, then he/she is probably counting wrong. I'm pretty sure that's not saying the whole deficit concept is BS.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    That's very little food for your current weight, especially if you're working out. When I was 200lbs I was trying to get about 1600 net a day, eating most of my exercise calories landed me at eating nearly 2000 cals a day on workout days. You will find it a lot harder to maintain a healthy lifestyle on so little energy.

Also this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Because this is a thread about someone wanting to know how to get their weight doing down, not about whether they may or may not have some schrodinger's medical condition.
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You need more than just a calorie deficit, otherwise I would weigh about 10 grams by now.

WHAT you eat is more important. I actually found that I stalled when cutting calories too much, then lost again when I upped my calories to a smaller deficit.

Cut out carbs, especially over processed crap, watch your protein and don't have too much of it based on your activity level and eat plenty of good fats (from meat and dairy mainly) to see your weight come off.

You could also be retaining water due to dehydration so drink plenty of water!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    You need more than just a calorie deficit, otherwise I would weigh about 10 grams by now.

WHAT you eat is more important. I actually found that I stalled when cutting calories too much, then lost again when I upped my calories to a smaller deficit.

Cut out carbs, especially over processed crap, watch your protein and don't have too much of it based on your activity level and eat plenty of good fats (from meat and dairy mainly) to see your weight come off.

You could also be retaining water due to dehydration so drink plenty of water!

You do not *need* to cut carbs, a 40,30,30 (c,p,f) split is perfectly fine for an active person.
  • funnybun1
    funnybun1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    How much water do you drink? The last time I lost a lot of weight I had more success when I made sure to drink a lot of it.

THIS!! :drinker: Bottoms up!