Beginning Bikers? Or Advanced with tips

Options
2»

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem is worrying about going back up the hill I just came down if I have to go back the way I came.

Don't worry -- soon you'll be so good at climbing that you'll start worrying about going back down the hill you just climbed up. :noway:
  • Zodia81
    Zodia81 Posts: 43
    Options
    Don't worry -- soon you'll be so good at climbing that you'll start worrying about going back down the hill you just climbed up. :noway:

I really hope you are right! There is one trail here and it's 3.5 miles to the top of the mountain. I really want to do that one.
  • airdiva1
    airdiva1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm also a newbie to bike riding. I had a goal of when I reach 250lbs to get a bike.
    First of all to all the bike purist, I would love a very nice bike, but right now as a student and not working, a $500 bike is so out of reach ( that's almost half of my monthly income) so WalMart or Target are the options. I managed to save $100 for a bike and so far it's great and rides good. Maybe in another two or three years when my income increase, I can look at the option of another bike.
    I got a women's bike and did get another seat (thanks for a gift card from a relative).
    The first time getting on, couldn't even stay on the bike! It been over 25 years since riding a bike! I had to learn how just to ride in the driveway!
    About a month ago start riding around the neighborhood three days a week 20 minutes. That's when noticing there are quite a few hills and rises! Like you, I had to get off and walk my bike half the way because no way I could ride it.
    But each day I took it in strive. I also tell myself once I get to the top of that rise, it's over and done with.
    I'm riding 40 minutes everyone other day and amaze myself how far that I can ride in that 40 minutes. My goal is to ride five days a week for at least one hour.
    Set short goals! I started with 10 minutes at a time. The hills and rises are easier and I get a little rush and "pat" on the back. There's two parks a distance away that have great bike trails that in another month I want to venture out and enjoy. But the neighborhood is a great workout right now!
  • Zodia81
    Options
    @airdiva1 we have alot in common!

I need to get out and ride around the neighborhood but I currently live on a military base and the traffic is quite heavy sometimes and people like to speed. It worries me. However there is a place on base with little to no traffic and a running trail that has these really fun little up and down hills that I can ride without getting off and they give me a good workout. I am always really out of breath after I ride them. I'd like to go over there every day.

Another problem I have is I am still really self conscience of being "the big girl" on the bike. I know it shouldn't mattered. But like I said I live on a military base, you can't even walk without being stared at so I can't imagine what they would do if they saw me on a bike haha. I am trying to get over that though.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I only ask because I've seen several mention it, but never saw you confirm it, and because I've seen plenty not know how so they never did it.

You are shifting, right, to make it equal effort when the road goes up, right?

85 - 95 cadence, rpm, is good, higher if your cardio is decent and you just don't have bike legs yet. If good muscle strength just keep applying good spin methods.

Practice pulling back on bottom of stroke like scraping mud off your shoe, it'll help in spinning better circles and unweighting the leg that is coming up so the force of the one pushing down is all for forward movement.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    cycling endurance builds fast. I think I'd mostly stick to less hilly terrain to get some base miles in. Doing a ton of hill climbs doesnt seem like the right way to get introduced to cycling whether your goal is mountain biking or not.

less impact>faster recovery> more miles> faster pace> more endurance and stamina

More impact> higher injury risk> longer recovery> less endurance> more strength

thats why I dont advocate hills.... a beginning runner doesnt get better at long distances by doing HIIT sprints. They usually just break something.
  • Zodia81
    Options
    I only ask because I've seen several mention it, but never saw you confirm it, and because I've seen plenty not know how so they never did it.

Yea I am shifting some, my husband is usually riding right beside me and if I forget to shift or shift in the wrong direction (hey it's happened) he reminds me.

The last bike I had was when I was 12 or 13, then I stopped riding. Picking it up again at 33 has a bit of a learning curve on the gears, especially since my last bike was a 10 speed (haha) and my bike now is 27.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Yea I am shifting some, my husband is usually riding right beside me and if I forget to shift or shift in the wrong direction (hey it's happened) he reminds me.

The last bike I had was when I was 12 or 13, then I stopped riding. Picking it up again at 33 has a bit of a learning curve on the gears, especially since my last bike was a 10 speed (haha) and my bike now is 27.

If you are on a hilly course, keep it in the smallest gear on the front for now and just use it as a 1x7. If you are in the wrong gear on the hills, no wonder you are having a hard time!

Regarding feeling weird about being a big girl on a bike, I follow this site on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/mtb4her

It's run by a couple of ladies in Canada. This lady is badass inspite of her size.

http://mtb4her.com/dropping-in-with-my-demons/

https://www.facebook.com/mtb4her
  • Zodia81
    Options
    Thanks for those links, I am checking it out now. :)
  • airdiva1
    airdiva1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thought about you today Zodia81! Went bike riding with the intention of just 30 minutes. End up riding a hour!
    Each time the riding is easier and easier!
    As for being a big girl, I'm 225 and ride with my head high!
    Felt so great after the walk, did some more cardio at the house!
    One day at a time and you will soon have your husband trying to catch up with you!
  • Zodia81
    Options
    Thats great airdiva1!

I found a place yesterday that is a short ride from my house so I only have to be on a road with cars for a few mins. I think I am going to start going there everyday. It's mostly flat with very very little inclines. I am looking forward to it.

Tomorrow we are going to a mountain bike race, I am not competing of course but my husband is. It's called "6 hours of heck in paradise". I think the track is around 9 miles long and the point is to see how many laps you can do in 6 hours. He is on a two man team but there are people doing it solo as well. Last I checked there was only one female rider but I am sure that has since changed. I am excited to be a spectator taking photos and hoping to get some motivation :)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Initially, just get the miles in on gentle conditions.
    While there's no problems walking up hills, I'd try and pace yourself so you can get to the top - no problem sticking in the lowest gear and going up slowly. When I did the London to Brighton bike ride some years ago, coming up to the nasty steep hill near the end, it was taking me a couple of minutes to overtake... people walking their bikes up! However I reached the top still pedalling, which I was happy with.

With cycling you should find your fairly quickly get your distance up. Many years ago when I was starting cycling a bit, I would cycle until I felt too tired to carry on. Stop, have a break, then cycle back.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Thats great airdiva1!

I found a place yesterday that is a short ride from my house so I only have to be on a road with cars for a few mins. I think I am going to start going there everyday. It's mostly flat with very very little inclines. I am looking forward to it.

Tomorrow we are going to a mountain bike race, I am not competing of course but my husband is. It's called "6 hours of heck in paradise". I think the track is around 9 miles long and the point is to see how many laps you can do in 6 hours. He is on a two man team but there are people doing it solo as well. Last I checked there was only one female rider but I am sure that has since changed. I am excited to be a spectator taking photos and hoping to get some motivation :)

That sounds like fun. There are sure a lot of super fit people who hang out at bike races.