Drinking on the weekends???

Options
okay I think my biggest problems is I love to drink Captain & Dt Coke, & than after while I want to eat everything in sight. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can better monitor my drinks so I don't go over in my calories count?

Replies

• schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    hmm try swapping to a clear spirit... vodka is 65 cals per shot with a diet mixer. or try an alcoholic drink then a soft drink then an alcoholic drink etc... might be worth a try. other than that ive no idea lol i rarely drink
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I would alternate your captian and cokes with water. No calories nad no possibility of a hangover. If teh driniking makes you hurngry find a low calorie snack you like to have with your tdrink and keep it in stock at all times. Good Luck!
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Easy one. Quit drinking them and use your liquor money for something more productive. Then maybe you'll find something else you enjoy that is easier on your body. Just a thought, from a non-drinker (so maybe its easier said than done).
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    I have cut back alcohol calories by putting a seltzer water between each drink. Ive switched from wine to wine spritzers, cut out beer altogether, and don't drink liquor at all (that's another story, lol, been years of no whiskey or rum for me!) . But my weekend beers were hard to give up. Commited to 90 days alcohol ban starting January, but this was a good compromise for me. Good luck.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I get the same way. A few vodka and tonics and I'm going "oooh, the aritchoke dip looks good...."

Drink with a buddy. Whomever is the DD, have them be your DFH too, your designated food helper. :tongue:

Seriously, having someone else help keep you accountable always works. They could make sure there are veggies in front of you and a glass of water. My husband and I take turns being each other's DFH and it seems to work out pretty well.

Good luck!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Easy one. Quit drinking them and use your liquor money for something more productive. Then maybe you'll find something else you enjoy that is easier on your body. Just a thought, from a non-drinker (so maybe its easier said than done).

Definitely easier said than done. Lol.
  • vandy29
    vandy29 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love wine....but I love myself more....so I just quit.....I am already addicted to food....I figure I don't need more than one addition....I have to eat....I don't have to drink....that way I can spend all my booz money on the expense of healthy eating....
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    http://www.calorieking.com/foods/search.php?showresults=yes&filte...&keywords=liquor&partner

gives you calorie counts for liquors. I'm with you on the Captain Morgan. Although I switched to Sailor Jerry a couple of years ago. The only thing I can tell you is to use the "will power" (yeah it's hard). Not only does alcohol make the munchies kick in it also slows our metabolism down.
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, and people will probbaly disagree, but I had to pretty much stop drinking to lose weight.

I do drink sometimes, maybe once or twice a month, but never more than a few at a time.

I think it slows most peoples weight loss, and it makes you more prone to eating junk food afterwards.

Hold off on the drinks until you lose 50% of the weight you want to lose. :-)

If you must drink, club soda with vodka (add lemon and lime slices) is the best drink with the lowest calories. Good Luck!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I just taught myself to go to bed when the drunken hunger comes around.

Another thing, perhaps the diet soda should be nixed. The fake sugar just adds to the problem.

Anyway, I think the point gets to what is your goal in your drinking? Are you trying to get buzzed/drunk? Or are you just enjoying a couple cocktails?

You could try something like a glass of wine and at least get the health benefits of the wine. Or skip the mixed drink and do shots if you just want to get drunk. Some people are happy with a vodka and club soda with a couple lime/lemon wedges. I know for me the stiffer the drink the slower I'll drink it - so maybe order the rum on the rocks and a diet coke with it, then add a lil diet coke to it to prevent you from drinking it quickly?

Good luck!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

waaayyyy easier said then done. I tell myself every thursday "I will be good this weekend"
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    designated food helper hahahahaha
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options

Not hard at all really compared to losing weight in general. I like wine. Not like everyday of the week but I would regularly knock out a bottle on a Friday night and have a glass or two with dinner during the week. But, getting lean and adding muscle is more important to me and alcohol is a hindrance, so out it went. Haven't had a drink in 6 months. Same for coffee. It's a matter of what you want more.
  • ashlee954
    Options
    Not hard at all really compared to losing weight in general. I like wine. Not like everyday of the week but I would regularly knock out a bottle on a Friday night and have a glass or two with dinner during the week. But, getting lean and adding muscle is more important to me and alcohol is a hindrance, so out it went. Haven't had a drink in 6 months. Same for coffee. It's a matter of what you want more.

Losing weight was actually extremely easy for me so quitting the weekend drinking was actually harder. I used to drink 2 bottles of champagne every single night though. I had a real problem. Seems to be why I packed on the poundage. Then I quit that and switched to vodka and diet coke/sprite/carbonated water a few nights per week. Way less cals!!! :)
  • mzenzer
    Options
    I hate to say it, and people will probbaly disagree, but I had to pretty much stop drinking to lose weight.

I think it's a good idea especially if the weight is already not coming off easily, or if your goal is fitness/muscle gain as well as losing weight then the alcohol will defiantly hold you back. The calories are as empty as sugar, and at 7 calories a gram as opposed to 4 calories a gram for carbs/proteins, it's easy for it to build up quick over the course of a night of drinking. Alcohol also dehydrates your body, which compromises muscle growth. Plus it slows your metabolism, so you burn fewer calories.
  • ashlee954
    Options

I think it's a good idea especially if the weight is already not coming off easily, or if your goal is fitness/muscle gain as well as lose weight then the alcohol will defiantly hold you back. The calories are as empty as sugar, and at 7 calories a gram as opposed to 4 calories a gram for carbs/proteins, it's easy for it to build up quick over the course of a night of drinking. Alcohol also dehydrates your body, which compromises muscle growth. Plus it slows your metabolism, so you burn fewer calories.

AMEN!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • tshields1952
    Options
    I always measure things by how much time I'd have to spend on the treadmill to burn off the calories - a 350 calorie drink = 20 minutes - no alcoholic drink tastes that good.
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I've also stopped drinking (at least for now). I used to drink wine pretty regularly but realized I eat everything in sight when I drink- rich stuff . The wine bar in my town has amazing seasonal food, and my bartender/friend is more than generous with his glasses of wine...which means I have 3-4 glasses of red wine and eat too much every time. I'll probably still have a glass of wine a couple of times a month, but it is not going to be a couple of times a week anymore! Not worth the calories.
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Def switch from captian to bacardi.
  • mzenzer
    Options
    All this being said, for you wine lovers out there, there are a couple of low carb red wines around. I've had them before they were pretty good too, but I can't find them locally anymore although I haven't looked in months. If I remember correctly the reduced calories were comparable to a light beer compared to a regular beer.