Those DUMB 30 day squat challenges

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Pushups are different as well, I do 30 a day for fun. Good job on your progress! Stronglifts is legit and I hope you enjoy it
    Why are pushup and plank challenges not dumb but squats are? They're all body weight exercises working different body parts.

I'm not the OP, but I'd guess it's because body weight squats are too easy for most people, while planks and push-ups are hard. Doing 100 reps of any exercise = cardio. I'm relatively strong and can only do a 60-plank 3 times, and only about 3 sets of 10 push-ups. Doing body squats until failure would hurt my knees before fatiguing my muscles.
    That assumes the person doing it isn't new to exercise, though.

As I said, this challenge didn't actually challenge me, but I know people who could barely walk from the muscle soreness after day 1, so it was a good place to start. For them it wasn't easy.

I mean, if you're squatting 150 pounds with barbells (or whatever) this obviously isn't much of a challenge. But if you're just starting, I don't think there's anything dumb about it.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It's all relative.

For someone who is doing nothing, it might be a good start and provide enough of a boost to get them into something more challenging.

For myself and a lot of my other lifting friends who are squatting over bodyweight for reps, yeah, it's more of an exercise in mobility and movement patterns than anything else.

While I agree that there are more effective uses of a person's time and no one is going to get an *kitten* like Serena Williams doing bodyweight squats, to each their own. It only grinds my gears when these people keep doing said "dumb" challenges over and over expecting certain results by completely inappropriate means.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Pushups are different as well, I do 30 a day for fun. Good job on your progress! Stronglifts is legit and I hope you enjoy it
    Why are pushup and plank challenges not dumb but squats are? They're all body weight exercises working different body parts.

I'm not the OP, but I'd guess it's because body weight squats are too easy for most people, while planks and push-ups are hard. Doing 100 reps of any exercise = cardio. I'm relatively strong and can only do a 60-plank 3 times, and only about 3 sets of 10 push-ups. Doing body squats until failure would hurt my knees before fatiguing my muscles.

As I said, this challenge didn't actually challenge me, but I know people who could barely walk from the muscle soreness after day 1, so it was a good place to start. For them it wasn't easy.

I mean, if you're squatting 150 pounds with barbells (or whatever) this obviously isn't much of a challenge. But if you're just starting, I don't think there's anything dumb about it.

If body weight squats are difficult for you, you should not be doing them every day for 30 days, your body needs rest. You should take a day off between strength workouts (but not cardio), but this of course applies to push-ups as well.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

If body weight squats are difficult for you, you should not be doing them every day for 30 days, your body needs rest. You should take a day off between strength workouts (but not cardio), but this of course applies to push-ups as well.
    The challenges have rest days. You don't do it every day.
  • shyfranklinstein
    Options
    Thank you! I guess I was just venting at all the friends I have trying so many things when they really just need to keep it simple. I never meant to come off mean or better than anyone and I guess I pinched a nerve. My bad. Its not that its dumb for people who need a start, but its useless if you are complaining about not making any booty progress while still only doing BW squats. Guess the meathead in me came out
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I guess I was just venting at all the friends I have trying so many things when they really just need to keep it simple. I never meant to come off mean or better than anyone and I guess I pinched a nerve. My bad. Its not that its dumb for people who need a start, but its useless if you are complaining about not making any booty progress while still only doing BW squats. Guess the meathead in me came out

Agreed.

Women also need to remember that the butt is a muscle. Muscles rarely increases in size while on a calorie deficit. You can make it slightly rounder and/or higher. You can remove the fat around it, but chances are you won't make it bigger unless you are at least eating at maintenance if not a surplus.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Are so annoying. A 30 day body weight squat challenge for a better butt? I think the last one I saw you end up doing 100+ by the end a day. Sounds like cardio in disguise.

:drinker:
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Are so annoying. A 30 day body weight squat challenge for a better butt? I think the last one I saw you end up doing 100+ by the end a day. Sounds like cardio in disguise.
    If you don't pick up weights once you hit too many reps, then it's your own decision to spend the time....
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    So let me get this straight...

OP has no problem with people planking or doing push-ups, but God forbid, they want to squat every day because it will never give them the booty that they are hoping for. :huh:
  • shyfranklinstein
    Options
    So let me get this straight...

OP has no problem with people planking or doing push-ups, but God forbid, they want to squat every day because it will never give them the booty that they are hoping for. :huh:

No, I guess you would have to understand exercise progression and as I said..it was a vent..probably in the wrong place. Should have taken it out over at tnation.com. If you are not seeing results...do something different. For me, the 30 day squat challenge would do nothing for a bigger, firmer, rounder glutes.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Since when are squats cardio? Jump squats, sure, but a regular squat? True, 1000 squats a day with just body weight sounds like overkill and you can get better results with less reps and more weight, but my heart rate doesn't go up when I do squats - no matter how many.

I was planning on doing the squat challenge until I started the SL 5x5. Now I won't be doing it. Right now I'm doing the 30 day plank challenge, my first challenge, and I don't think there's anything wrong with me doing it if it helps me increase my core strength and lengthen the amount of time I can hold a plank (I'm up to 2 minutes, working my way up to 5). I'm thinking about doing the 30 day arm challenge eventually, as I don't feel the 5x5 is hitting my biceps and triceps as much as my shoulders, back, lower body, and core.

No, you shouldn't expect amazing results, but there's nothing wrong with doing these challenges.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    The whole point is to stick to something for 30 days and get that @ss off the couch. If you think they are dumb...and this is a radical concept...DON'T DO THEM.
  • aquiva33
    aquiva33 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I agree
    Does it REALLY matter if the goal is to move more? Have at whatever '30-day workout' floats your boat!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    biggest issue I have with them (actually any 30 challenge) that is only challenging you to do MORE with no variation.

it's just incredibly hard on your body to do the SAME thing for so much volume with no changes other than just more of of the more.

That's all.

I'm all about people doing more- and I am glad they do- but doing 100+ squats or 200 or push ups- or planks- or burpees- it's great for discipline- but I feel like it should be a rotational thing- that adds layers and exercises.
  • shyfranklinstein
    Options
    Since when are squats cardio? Jump squats, sure, but a regular squat? True, 1000 squats a day with just body weight sounds like overkill and you can get better results with less reps and more weight, but my heart rate doesn't go up when I do squats - no matter how many.

I was planning on doing the squat challenge until I started the SL 5x5. Now I won't be doing it. Right now I'm doing the 30 day plank challenge, my first challenge, and I don't think there's anything wrong with me doing it if it helps me increase my core strength and lengthen the amount of time I can hold a plank (I'm up to 2 minutes, working my way up to 5). I'm thinking about doing the 30 day arm challenge eventually, as I don't feel the 5x5 is hitting my biceps and triceps as much as my shoulders, back, lower body, and core.

No, you shouldn't expect amazing results, but there's nothing wrong with doing these challenges.

I use BW squats as a part of my HIIT at times. It works. You just need to read some of my replies. People got upset, I said sorry, explained why I posted it. Anyway.... planks are wonderful for core strength especially when trying out a strength program. If you are not satisfied with the results... check out Brandon Lilly's Cube Method. Abs every day and more accessory work over all for a more balance physique.
  • shyfranklinstein
    Options
    biggest issue I have with them (actually any 30 challenge) that is only challenging you to do MORE with no variation.

it's just incredibly hard on your body to do the SAME thing for so much volume with no changes other than just more of of the more.

That's all.

I'm all about people doing more- and I am glad they do- but doing 100+ squats or 200 or push ups- or planks- or burpees- it's great for discipline- but I feel like it should be a rotational thing- that adds layers and exercises.

Kinda what I really meant to say..just came off mean I guess! Get up and get moving!
  • masondillan
    masondillan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You may find the 30 day squat challenge boring or even stupid... but let me tell you a lil about my fitness journey. I decided one day hell why not give the squat challenge a try... started one that has 5 different types of squats... my quads and glutes and inner thighs were killing me... I started to notice I was gaining strength in my lower body.. my back as well. I progressed from this challenge into holding a wall squat for 4 mins... then I decided to buy some dumbells with weight plates. At first even doing 10 lbs weighted squats was difficult.2 months later I squat now with a barbell with 50lbs at the low end.. and 80lbs at my high end. Guess what I am saying is the 30 day squat challenge got me off my butt and moving. I now have a new found love of lifting weights. The stupid little challenge has started me on a fitness path. Happy lifter :D
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    It was god awful on my back and knees. 30 day challenge is stupid, BUT it did start me doing an actual daily squat rutine, and my butt thanks me for it!

So it was stupid yet it got you to move/start a squat routine and your booty thanks you for it? :noway:

The challenge itself was stupid in the sense that 150-240 squats a day, toward the end, was causing some fairly significant damage to my knees and back. There can be too much of a good thing. However, I found that I did enjoy doing squats and that they did an awesome job toning my bum and I now do 40-80 a day with 2 rest days a week. Stupid because I very nearly let an impractical workout routine injure me on a permanent basis because I was focused on finishing it. It was a challenge and I wanted to see it to the end. It did have some good in that I found an exercise that I enjoy. Makes much more sense to incorporate squats into your workout routine (or whatever else that you are doing) on a regular basis than furiously trying to get in as many as you can on the basis of a single month.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

anything done for that many reps can be cardio.

I did a 20 rep squat program- just one set of 20- at working weights (so my body weight by the time I was done)... and yes- it was like effing cardio. might as well have been LMAO.

do anything with no resting pr add a little pep to the lift and it becomes cardio.
  • kemval74
    kemval74 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't think it came off as mean, I just took it as you venting and expressing your opinion about this particular challenge. This should indeed be a voice your opinion or to vent, rant or rave as long as what you say is not offensive. I've attempted it before and I didn't get offended. I won't do it again though because it made my already massive booty a higher massive booty!!! lol :laugh: