Quick way to get the weight going down!!

Options

Replies

• FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You need more than just a calorie deficit, otherwise I would weigh about 10 grams by now.

WHAT you eat is more important. I actually found that I stalled when cutting calories too much, then lost again when I upped my calories to a smaller deficit.

Cut out carbs, especially over processed crap, watch your protein and don't have too much of it based on your activity level and eat plenty of good fats (from meat and dairy mainly) to see your weight come off.

You could also be retaining water due to dehydration so drink plenty of water!

You do not *need* to cut carbs, a 40,30,30 (c,p,f) split is perfectly fine for an active person.

My Macro is 5,25,75 (c,p,f) and it works just great! My calorie deficit is only 12% so I am not starving at all especially with all that tasty, filling fat! :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    People really need to stop telling everyone it's a simple deficit. Yes, for a lot of people, this works; however, there is no need to make people feel stupid or like they must be doing something wrong just because a deficit isn't working for them. It IS more complicated for some people than it is for others. I would weigh a LOT less if a deficit worked for me, but when I eat at TDEE - 15/20%, I get nowhere.

Are you weighing your food? If you're decently healthy and have no conditions (Diabetes, PCOS, Insulin Resistance, etc.) that would restrict your weight loss, you may be eating more than you think you are. I personally used to eat less than I thought I was, and then wonder why I was constantly hungry and binging at night. I once passed out thinking I'd eaten around 9 oz of chicken all day, when really I'd only had around 2-3. A LOT of people are the opposite, though, so make sure you're counting your calories correctly.

As for the deficit, if it's not working for you, you're not alone. Certain conditions may prevent a deficit from being the only diet-change necessary. I personally have PCOS and have to net significantly under my calorie goal in order to lose weight. I also try to stick to a high-fat, mod-protein, low-carb (and by low, I mean around 30g per meal, not 30g per day) diet. Sometimes, when there are conditions such as these, Macros matter A LOT. PCOS comes with insulin resistance, so carbs and sugars are not my friends.

Good luck losing! Just remember that everyone's body is different, and it's a process figuring out what works for you. Not everyone responds so quickly to a caloric deficit.

there are no special snowflakes, there are no special snowflakes, there are no special snowflakes…..keep repeating this every day because it is true …calorie deficit is what causes weight loss for everyone..

are you suggesting that OP can eat more then maintenance and lose?

I like you how you say calorie deficit does not work then go on to ask if OP weights food because he/she may be overestimating calories…if calorie deficit does not work for everyone, why would this even matter?

OP - you need to be consistent with your logging, and weigh/measure/log everything. Do you own a food scale? If no, then I highly suggest getting one….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    People really need to stop telling everyone it's a simple deficit. Yes, for a lot of people, this works; however, there is no need to make people feel stupid or like they must be doing something wrong just because a deficit isn't working for them. It IS more complicated for some people than it is for others. I would weigh a LOT less if a deficit worked for me, but when I eat at TDEE - 15/20%, I get nowhere.

Are you weighing your food? If you're decently healthy and have no conditions (Diabetes, PCOS, Insulin Resistance, etc.) that would restrict your weight loss, you may be eating more than you think you are. I personally used to eat less than I thought I was, and then wonder why I was constantly hungry and binging at night. I once passed out thinking I'd eaten around 9 oz of chicken all day, when really I'd only had around 2-3. A LOT of people are the opposite, though, so make sure you're counting your calories correctly.

As for the deficit, if it's not working for you, you're not alone. Certain conditions may prevent a deficit from being the only diet-change necessary. I personally have PCOS and have to net significantly under my calorie goal in order to lose weight. I also try to stick to a high-fat, mod-protein, low-carb (and by low, I mean around 30g per meal, not 30g per day) diet. Sometimes, when there are conditions such as these, Macros matter A LOT. PCOS comes with insulin resistance, so carbs and sugars are not my friends.

Good luck losing! Just remember that everyone's body is different, and it's a process figuring out what works for you. Not everyone responds so quickly to a caloric deficit.
    The only exception to the calorie deficit rule is a medical condition. Otherwise, you WILL lost weight at a deficit.

even with a medical condition you still need a negative energy balance to lose…so calorie deficit still applies...
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

Yes, and no. Yess people people need to burn more calories than they consume as a general rule.

But, when you have faulty biological reactions taking place, that can considerably alter the balance of that equation. So, even though they're consuming at a considerable deficit, they won't see weight loss in the same manner, and sometimes at all. That's why vitamin deficiencies, certain medications and hormonal balances are so important. It's not just your straightforward CICO calculation when you have misfiring biochemical reactions. The body has considerable survival mechanisms for a reason.

It IS still your straightforward CICO. Of COURSE you have to take your personal faulty biological reactions into account, but it is in fact still straightforward CICO. Your "CO" level may be less than "usual" or "normal" due to your personal faulty biological reactions, but it is still CICO.

edit: or what ndj said
  • ndj1979
    Options
    You need more than just a calorie deficit, otherwise I would weigh about 10 grams by now.

WHAT you eat is more important. I actually found that I stalled when cutting calories too much, then lost again when I upped my calories to a smaller deficit.

Cut out carbs, especially over processed crap, watch your protein and don't have too much of it based on your activity level and eat plenty of good fats (from meat and dairy mainly) to see your weight come off.

You could also be retaining water due to dehydration so drink plenty of water!

cutting carbs has nothing to do with it…I get 30 to 33% of my cals from carbs and am down about seven pounds on this cut …

unless of course you have some kind of medical condition that would make one sensitive to carbs...
  • Phrick
    Options

Yes, and no. Yess people people need to burn more calories than they consume as a general rule.

But, when you have faulty biological reactions taking place, that can considerably alter the balance of that equation. So, even though they're consuming at a considerable deficit, they won't see weight loss in the same manner, and sometimes at all. That's why vitamin deficiencies, certain medications and hormonal balances are so important. It's not just your straightforward CICO calculation when you have misfiring biochemical reactions. The body has considerable survival mechanisms for a reason.

It IS still your straightforward CICO. Of COURSE you have to take your personal faulty biological reactions into account, but it is in fact still straightforward CICO. Your "CO" level may be less than "usual" or "normal" due to your personal faulty biological reactions, but it is still CICO.

edit: or what ndj said

To expand on my thought, rather than edit again,

it's as plain and simple (note I didn't say EASY just simple) as consuming less than you output. You of course have to take your personal circumstances into account, but if you're not losing you're not in a true deficit. Your deficit may be different than what you can calculate online using a generic "one size mostly fits all" calculator, which is where trial and error and patience come in, but ultimately a deficit is what it takes. A larger than standard one maybe, a larger than calculated deficit, sure, that can happen. But you need to stop telling people it's NOT a matter of CICO. It's ALWAYS a matter of CICO. You have to figure out your own personal CICO ratio but IT IS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS CICO.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    just for fun I pulled this off a study that I had archived about calorie deficit and patients with diabetes….

This study demonstrates that short-term treatment with a very-low-calorie diet in both obese diabetic and nondiabetic subjects results in: (1) safe and effective weight loss associated with the normalization of elevated glucose and lipid levels, (2) a large individual variability in total nitrogen loss determined principally by the initial lean body mass, and (3) progressive increments in the contribution of fat to weight loss with stable caloric requirements and no evidence of a hypometabolic response.
    http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/35/2/155.short

so yea, calorie deficit does work for obese diabetic people….
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I agree with CICO.

Calories in: easy to find using Mfp.
    Calories out: that is the question. Because this sets the calories in needed.

For most a simple calculation will answer CO. So this is an easy process. To them congrats: set ci lower then co and you have a deficit.
    The question is when CO is a ???? the calculations do not work what do you do. What test should you be looking for to help determine this?
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    If the co is so easy to determine? A simple kiosk in the mall would provide the calorie need and obesity would be gone.
  • Phrick
    Options
    who said easy? Who in this entire thread said it's EASY? I saw plenty of "simple NOT EASY" answers though.

I and others have found our true TDEEs by tracking with excruciating, exacting consistency for 3-4 weeks then using the following formula to determine actual TDEE, and adjusting activity and CI based upon the answer to the equation.

The formula:

total gross calories eaten + (weight lost * 3500) / # of days

or if you gained in the time period, I THINK it would be

total gross calories eaten - (weight gained * 3500) / # of days (unsure on this one as 1) I'm horrid at math and 2) I haven't had the displeasure of having to figure out why I'm not losing, yet, thank goodness)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    If the co is so easy to determine? A simple kiosk in the mall would provide the calorie need and obesity would be gone.

its not easy ..it takes trial and error of eating at a certain level and weighing yourself for several weeks and then seeing what the numbers do ....then, as you lose more weight and drop more body fat it becomes even harder to get to a lower body fat% because your bodies natural reaction is to hold on to some body fat....
  • cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    ^^ Totally agree with this! I do not have a thyroid..does that make me a special snowflake? Nope. Does it mean that I am having to use some trial and error to try to find out what my maintenance level is? Definately! Mine is much lower than all of the calculations say it should be.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    There's no point in arguing with some of these people. They simply don't understand the complexity of the human body and the role that certain hormones and metabolic pathways come into to play with weight loss. They don't understand that a greater deficit can actually impede weight-loss due to the body's stress response. They don't understand that if you have malfunctioning glucose metabolism that will affect your calorie balance and the macros you need to eat to see results.

They don't understand it, so they declare that doesn't exist. Luckily, reality is not dependent upon the limited understanding of such people.

In their reality, the world is flat.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    ^ lol
  • ndj1979
    Options
    There's no point in arguing with some of these people. They simply don't understand the complexity of the human body and the role that certain hormones and metabolic pathways come into to play with weight loss. They don't understand that a greater deficit can actually impede weight-loss due to the body's stress response. They don't understand that if you have malfunctioning glucose metabolism that will affect your calorie balance and the macros you need to eat to see results.

They don't understand it, so they declare that doesn't exist. Luckily, reality is not dependent upon the limited understanding of such people.

see previous study I posted stating that diabetics can lose weight with a low calorie deficit..
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

see previous study I posted stating that diabetics can lose weight with a low calorie deficit..
    Some of us are just really good at a lot of different things... Just sayin'.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I wholeheartedly believe a calorie deficiency is the true method to healthy weight loss. There are people with all of the above health issues plus more in my social circle. Therefore, I truly understand their battle with weight loss. Yes, it is a challenge and I don’t think anyone is implying otherwise or implying the right combination of food along with the deficiency isn’t important. Nonetheless, they are still losing weight because they are eating at a calorie deficiency despite their medication. Yes, it took several trial and error sessions to achieve the correct balance of medication and diet, especially for my godmother who is taking 13 different medications. They just had to find a deficiency that worked for them. This is the reason MFP allow users to change the recommendations for macronutrients and micronutrients because some people will require different means to achieve the same goal.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I wholeheartedly believe a calorie deficiency is the true method to healthy weight loss. There are people with all of the above health issues plus more in my social circle. Therefore, I truly understand their battle with weight loss. Yes, it is a challenge and I don’t think anyone is implying otherwise or implying the right combination of food along with the deficiency isn’t important. Nonetheless, they are still losing weight because they are eating at a calorie deficiency despite their medication. Yes, it took several trial and error sessions to achieve the correct balance of medication and diet, especially for my godmother who is taking 13 different medications. They just had to find a deficiency that worked for them. This is the reason MFP allow users to change the recommendations for macronutrients and micronutrients because some people will require different means to achieve the same goal.

True, true. But, from what I've seen, the deficit argument isn't one where no deficit is important or necessary to some extent. It's more along the lines that a deficit may not necessarily equal weight loss depending on other factors, or affect weight loss considerably differently. Because if it was just about a deficit, then macros wouldn't matter and they do matter to a lot of people, for very good reason.

That essentially the straightforward CICO calculations require certain assumptions, and when those assumptions are no longer true, the balace of the equation shifts or there are extra factors the equation does not account for -- like when you see dramatically different weight loss for insulin sensitive and insulin resistant women based on different macros of diets that are calorically equivalent.

And the CICO purists will not acknowledge this or at least most of them don't seem to. Or they extrapolate into extreme, irrelevant arguments like "oh so you can create mass on a calorie deficit?" It's absurd.
  • ndj1979
    Options

True, true. But, from what I've seen, the deficit argument isn't one where no deficit is important or necessary to some extent. It's more along the lines that a deficit may not necessarily equal weight loss depending on other factors, or affect weight loss considerably differently. Because if it was just about a deficit, then macros wouldn't matter and they do matter to a lot of people, for very good reason.

That essentially the straightforward CICO calculations require certain assumptions, and when those assumptions are no longer true, the balace of the equation shifts or there are extra factors the equation does not account for -- like when you see dramatically different weight loss for insulin sensitive and insulin resistant women based on different macros of diets that are calorically equivalent.

And the CICO purists will not acknowledge this or at least most of them don't seem to. Or they extrapolate into extreme, irrelevant arguments like "oh so you can create mass on a calorie deficit?" It's absurd.

by mass are you referring to muscle?

I don't think anyone is saying you can create mass in a deficit...

Look, at the end of the day you need an negative energy balance to lose weight. You claim to be such a genius, but you cannot seem to wrap your brain around that one simple concept...
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options

Even people who don’t have health problems have to achieve their deficiency different ways. For example, I don’t have any health problems but I need to drink water to maximize my weight loss efforts. I have experimented with this some many times so I know this is the way for me. The scale barely move if I don’t drink enough water. Other posters don’t need to drink water the way I do and they are losing just fine. It all boils down to the method that is healthy and works for the individual.

The balance of equation absolutely will shift when medical complications are involved but the underlying calorie deficiency still needs to exist. My godmother is limited to 105gm of carbs a day because of her insulin issue. Sometimes, she has to do less if her asthma is acting up really bad and her steroids have to be increased. On any given day, I eat twice that amount and both of us are losing weight. Our macros are way different. Usually, she eats more protein than me. Each person has to take stock in their own health and pursue a healthy plan that is best for them. This is the reason people should always consult with their doctors before starting any weight management plan. Yes, your primary doctor may be limited in weight loss knowledge but he or she could refer you to the proper nutritionist and dietitian who specialize in people in your situation. There isn’t a one size fit all weight management plan anywhere.