Can't seem to lose 10 lbs! There's not much else I can do!

Options
2»

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    You are getting a lot of varied opinions here. As someone with IBD and who lost the last 10, let me help you out. You can't just set a figure like 1,200 for yourself without knowing exactly what your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is. That is the minimum daily number of calories your body needs just to keep you alive. It's dangerous to go below that number. You then should calculate your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) which is the amount of calories you need for all the activity you expend during each day. You eat at a deficit below TDEE to lose weight. Once you know the deficit, you need to buy a good digital food scale (you can get one for less than $20). You weigh every bit of solid food that you consume (not measure, that is not accurate). You do cardio with a good quality Heart Rate Monitor that uses a chest strap to accurately measure your calorie burns. Start heavy lifting to protect your lean muscle.
    Be patient. It takes a while to lose the weight. It took me about eight months. As you get there, adjust your deficit to reach your maintenance calories so you can maintain the weight once you get there without regaining. Remember, treats are okay, just fit them into your calorie goals. It's a lot better to do it that way than to do "cheat" days that go over your goals and can add too many calories, especially when you are so close to your goals.
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked at anyone's diaries, nor do I profess to know anything about digestive tract medical issues, but I wonder, with approval from your doctor, if you might try increasing your protein a little and decreasing your carbs a little. It's working for me!
  • melissawith3sons
    melissawith3sons Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello there and thanks for the response! I use a food scale and measuring cups. So, I probably need to go back and adjust my goals?
  • melissawith3sons
    Options
    I also am having the same problem. I am 38 yr old female with a wonderful husband who is fully supportive and 3 sons(15, 12, 11). I joined 14 days ago and have some very helpful information. I set up my weight loss goals as 2 pds per week and so I am eating 1200 cals per day. I run 3 days a week 2 to 3 miles twice a week and up to 7miles on Saturdays. I weigh 170 pounds and would like to get to 130-135. Do you think my cals are too low. Everyone has a different opinion as I have read many other threads, but it is so scary to up the cals when I am losing nothing at 1200. Maybe I need to give it more time? I am meticulous of tracking all foods and liquids as I am so passionate about finally getting this weight off. THank you in advance for any helpful tips or suggestions

2 lbs a week is too high of a goal for what you have to lose. For less than 50 lbs you should be looking at about 1 lb a week.
    Plus, MFP expects you to log your exercise and eat at least some of those calories back.
    Your goal should be higher than 1200 with the information you have provided, especially on days you run - always assuming you are logging correctly.
    How do you measure your food?
  • melissawith3sons
    Options
    I use a food scale and measuring cups
  • melissawith3sons
    Options
    How long have you been trying?
    Are you logging?
    Do you log everything and consistently?
    How do you measure your food?

Opening your diary would be very helpful as well.
  • melissawith3sons
    Options
    I think my diary is open if you would like to check it out and tell me what you think.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You're eating UNDER 1200 cals? And the red warning you get at the end of the day, saying you are eating too little means nothing to you? :huh: Get a clue.

MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. And I am extremely tiny, only 5 feet. So unless you are smaller than me, or bedridden, it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage, and bingeing due to over-restriction.)

Go to

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and enter your height/weight/activity level.

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight.

And lift heavy weights.

So eat more, lift weights. There's plenty more you can do.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I think my diary is open if you would like to check it out and tell me what you think.

It is not.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Removing a section of gut means there is less time and surface area in which food absorption can occur, very often patients have loose stools and some nutritional deficiencies as a result although clearly you will also now have some improved absorption if the inflamed area is removed. It's complicated!

From other's posts it sounds as though you are undereating though.
  • melissawith3sons
    Options

It is not.
    Ok, I will have to see how to open that, Im new here and still finding my way around the site.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

It is not.
    Ok, I will have to see how to open that, Im new here and still finding my way around the site.

My Home > Settings> Diary Settings
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hello there and thanks for the response! I use a food scale and measuring cups. So, I probably need to go back and adjust my goals?

Yes, do adjust your goals, to lose 0.5 lbs per week. make sure you are only using the measuring cups for liquids, as measuring solids is very inaccurate. with only 10 lbs to lose you won't be able to lose more than 1/2 lb per week.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and you are eating alot of processed foods with alot of sodium. Processed foods = belly fat. Sodium = water weight. You will have to adjust your diet to suceed.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and you are eating alot of processed foods with alot of sodium. Processed foods = belly fat. Sodium = water weight. You will have to adjust your diet to suceed.

Caloric excess = fat accumulation.

It is not a function of whether or not the food is processed.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Don't put a deadline.
    You are losing something? Wonderful!

As my WW leader once said to me when my progress went from 0.6lb a week down to 0.2lb a week- he said, at this point, that's as much as you'll get.

And that's really good enough.

If you track your food honestly and net a deficit you will lose.
    I think 1200 is a little hard to maintain, and would tell you to try 1400, but that's just me.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    He also said that protein boosts weight loss. It worked for me when I shifted the balance to more protein.
  • AllisonAugustyn
    AllisonAugustyn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have some food allergies/intolerances that make me sick when I eat certain foods. Still figuring it all out, but the only thing that has worked for me to lose weight is to cut out all dairy, wheat, sugar and alcohol. Fruits/veggies/lean meats, non-wheat grains. I'm only on the third week of following this method of eating, so we'll see what happens at the end of the five-week suggested period, but so far it keeps me full and makes me feel better (sleep, less mood swings) while losing the weight. Less inflammation for sure, swelling around my abdomen has gone down drastically and my joint pain in my left knee is reduced. (The oversimplification is 2/3 plate is fruit/vegetables, 1/3 is protein or grain, or a combination of the two -- you have more protein and no grains at breakfast. 3 meals a day, 2 snacks -- meals/snacks can be any size as long as you eat in that ratio.) I'm kind of surprised at how easy it is (I thought it would be HELL, that I'd be dying for my favorite cookie bakery that just opened down the street, because they want me to suffer). But because I don't have to count calories or weigh food, I actually do it -- I guess I need really strict rules so I just remember what I'm supposed to be doing. And I just eat until I'm not hungry. My sugar cravings died after five days and now I don't want certain foods as much as I did (cookies -- I'd better stop mentioning them, though, or I'll undo all my work). I broke my weight barrier (153lbs was the lowest I could get for decades) and just yesterday went down to 152lbs. http://toquietinflammation.com/ I know it's frustrating when you're so close...I'm losing the last 10lbs, too. :) But it's great to know there are a lot of things that work! Sounds like a lot of great suggestions here, everyone is so different, I'm sure you'll find something. GOOD LUCK!
  • LeahNMe
    LeahNMe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" and I need to lose 11 more pounds. Currently at 124. I feel you. I have noticed from hanging out here for the last two months that the less you have to lose, the slower it comes off.
    I am not happy with only .5 lbs lost a week, but it is more sustainable than me trying to lose that little bit of weight too fast and then binging and putting it back on.
    Just keep doing what you're doing, weigh everything and exercise. Eventually the weight will come off.
    That's what I keep telling myself.
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I say talk to your Dr. I don't know what you are taking for meds but many of my friends with crohn's disease are taking steriods or steriod based medicines & those often cause weight gain. So in my humble opinion talking to your doctor about your weight concerns would be your best bet.