Co-workers are not about this life...

Options

Replies

• egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Typical conversation in my office....

Co-worker-"Hey, Eric. We are going to the Thai place down the street, wanna go?"
    Me-"Hey, Guy, why don't you go to your $hitty Thai place and munch on some K9 beef?"
    Co-worker-"I will, while you sit there with your weak *kitten* steamed broccoli and baked chicken. I hope you choke on it!"
    Me-"Good luck with the green apple splatters that you're gonna get from eating that greasy *kitten* you call food!!"
    Co-worker-"Go F yourself!"
    Me-"Suck this!!"
    Co-worker-"See you at the 2 o'clock meeting?"
    Me-"Yeah see you there."

Thanks for the :laugh: !
  • tanyoshka
    tanyoshka Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That's a tricky one. I've been on both sides of this issue and it sucks for everyone. When I started my current job, half of the office was (in my opinion) obsessed with losing weight and eating healthy foods. It seemed like that was all they talked about, so feeling like the fat kid out probably provoked a few nasty glares on my part. I hated feeling guilty for grabbing a snack from the break room or eating potato chips with my lunch. Then, however, as I slowly became more health concious I became one of "them". It's hard knowing that my health kick can be an annoyance to my office mates, yet being totally excited about the results I'm seeing because of it.

The best advice I can give is to do your best to not shove your healthier choices in their face, and to go out to lunch with them every so often, even if that means taking your own lunch to the restaurant (the "eating out isn't in the budget, but I can bring my own food if that's ok" excuse works pretty well). The reason this is such a touchy subject is because it makes people feel less than or that they are secretly being judged against your new healthy standard. Anything you can do to bridge that gap will go a long way.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Maybe they don't really want you to go out to eat with them. Maybe they are just trying to be polite by asking you so you don't feel left out.

:drinker:
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I work in a culture where many follow the "you only live once, so enjoy it" philosophy, so they eat to excess, smoke, and can't be bothered with exercise (1 floor elevator rides are commonplace). I have the same philosophy, but my idea of enjoying life entails eating healthily and being in good shape (medically as well as cardio/strength). If anyone has the right to be annoyed about coworkers' lifestyles it is me, since I'm in the same health plan as my happy-go-lucky health-neglecting coworkers and pay higher premiums to facilitate medical procedures and medication to mitigate the damage from their overindulgent, sedentary lifestyles.

I don't advertise what I eat or when I exercise (aside from drawing an occasional glance or inquiry when I pass someone in the hall with a gym bag) and I don't offer unsolicited fitness comments, so everybody coexists nicely.
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    One of the reasons why I hated working in an office building.

I just turned into a social reject in the end and everyone stopped asking me to eat out, etc. I used to try and have my lunch at different times. And no, at the time it wasn't due to healthy choices, it was down to the fact I couldn't afford to eat out every day because I seemed to be the only one on a low wage living in my own home - most of them either lived with their parents or earnt enough not to care - and I didn't really like anyone there enough to spend my lunch hours with them..... then again I don't care if people don't like me or not so this worked for me.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    1) Thanks, but I brought a lunch today.
    2) Thanks, but I'm trying to save money.
    3 No thanks.

Any of these options can politely turn down an invite without reading as smug about YOUR lifestyle choices. Because to me, a stranger on the internet, you read pretty smug that you eat healthy and they don't.
  • MagJam2004
    Options
    "If I wanted to look like you- I'd eat like you."

Oh I have to borrow this one! Best comeback ever! :flowerforyou:

but then you come across as kind of jerk-ish, and these are people that you work with. Might come back to haunt you when you start finding the battery missing out of your wireless mouse or airhorns attached to the bottom of your adjustable chair
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    If someone ever asks "How do you eat that?", take the question in a different direction than people expect:

"Slowly"
    "With gusto"
    "With a fork"
    "With a dash of pepper"
    "Quietly"
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Unless you make a lot of comments about their diets, or you have a holier than thou attitude about your diet, it's doubtful that everyone cares enough to, well....care what you are eating. Keep your diet to yourself, say no to going out and let it be. If you really need an excuse to say no, saving money is a great one.

But, seriously, most people couldn't care less about other people's diets unless that diet is being discussed on the regular.

All of this.

I can't think of why anyone would care enough about what you eat to give you dirty looks about it....
  • RickiDevonStewart
    Options
    I have the same problem at my work. Gigi's cup cake and pizza is the favorite and they laugh at me all the time. I want to show them that this can work. Need all the help I can get.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options

I kinda like this one. Although I'd probably make someone in my building cry. :laugh:

P.S. I tried to give someone fresh stringbeans today in the work kitchen (since they commented how delicious they looked) then they proceeded to coil up like I was handing them a turd.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Let me take a slightly different tack to answer this.

Depending on where they're going, you could always tag along and just bring your own food. My mom used to do it all the time when I was growing up. If we were out shopping and went to grab (insert random fast food place here) for lunch, we, the kids, would get (insert random "happy" kids meal name here) and Mom would just buy herself a drink, then eat the salad or whatever she brought for herself while we ate our lunch. Most fast food places don't care and if they say anything, apologize and let them know it won't happen again.

OR

You could indulge every once in a blue moon. Plan your day ahead with a specific place in mind, then, if they ask you to go, make the suggestion. Or, if the guys are anything like the guys I work with, there's a specific rotation - where they go depends on the specials, for instance, today was Subway day because it's el-cheapo turkey 6-inch day. If that's the case, pick a day that isn't so heinous and tag along.

Anyway, just a thought. You're wanting them to compromise a little about how you perceive they think about you...just remember, compromise is a two-way street.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem at my work. Gigi's cup cake and pizza is the favorite and they laugh at me all the time. I want to show them that this can work. Need all the help I can get.

It's not your responsibility to show them that it can work. That is an individual choice.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Many people are in an emotional freeze or hot spot regarding food.

Just say "No thanks" or "No thanks I brought lunch" with no details.

I've learned the hard way even talking a little bit about your diet and some people, especially if weight gain and diets are a sore spot, will feel like you are "shoving it down their throat."

They may think you're snobby, also.

I was accused of being a snob for using Olive Oil. I live in Oklahoma, and there are people here on a level of poverty I can't relate too. I've never been so poor I didn't know what Olive Oil was.

If they open the door, come crashing through like the Kool-Aid man, but until then, don't even mention it.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I either spend my lunch hour at the gym or doing homework, so going out to eat with my coworkers is never an option. I try to go out to lunch with my husband one day a week though. I'll plan that into my budget and enjoy!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    as someone who enjoys life and pretty much does a lot of what I find fun but is outside of most social norms while being "normal", I find this thread title offensively pretentious.
  • notsorrymrsjackson
    Options
    I share an office with 3 people who are SO not about the healthy life. They eat out daily and give me dirty looks about my healthy eating.. Not to mention the 30 other people at the work place who roll their eyes at my brown rice and chicken in the break room… Anyway, any tips for turning them down when they invite me out to eat all the time?
    It's great that you want to eat more nutritiously, but eating out daily DOESN'T mean one is unhealthy. I eat out at least 3 times a week. Not to mention you may not know what they are really eating or how they eat at home.
    If you don't want to go out, just say no. They'll stop asking you out after enough of them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

they are mcdonalds/jack in the box/carls jr/del taco types of eat outs.. and thats not the only reason why i consider them unhealthy a doctor may clarify them as morbidly obese :( don't get me wrong i like them as people i just can't participate..
  • notsorrymrsjackson
    Options
    as someone who enjoys life and pretty much does a lot of what I find fun but is outside of most social norms while being "normal", I find this thread title offensively pretentious.

I apologize if i came off as pretentious. not my goal… mostly was just looking for ways NOT to come off pretentious and rude.. people are and have been rude to me about my "new lifestyle"..
    Sorry again for offending you.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

but then you come across as kind of jerk-ish, and these are people that you work with. Might come back to haunt you when you start finding the battery missing out of your wireless mouse or airhorns attached to the bottom of your adjustable chair

but giving some hell about the food their eating ISN"T jerkish?

it's a good come back when used appropriately- I wouldn't use it on the secretary asking about going to Primo hoagey because she forgot a lunch.

The guy that stands over me and gives me 20 minutes of crap about why I'm eating the way I do? double barrels.

Food is a personal choice- it doesn't affect anyone else what I put in my mouth (dirty joke GO)... people are incredibly mean and hostile because they take food personally when you decline it- it's a social thing- and it's a personal expression of someone' feelings often times- rejecting that CAN create hostility- no matter how innocent the rejection.

if someone is acting rude about my food- you're damn right I'm going to be a jerk. There is a time and a place to lay it on- most of the times- a simple no thank you will work.

But having a good zinger on the back burner is always helpful.
  • MagJam2004
    Options

but giving some hell about the food their eating ISN"T jerkish?

it's a good come back when used appropriately- I wouldn't use it on the secretary asking about going to Primo hoagey because she forgot a lunch.

The guy that stands over me and gives me 20 minutes of crap about why I'm eating the way I do? double barrels.

Food is a personal choice- it doesn't affect anyone else what I put in my mouth (dirty joke GO)... people are incredibly mean and hostile because they take food personally when you decline it- it's a social thing- and it's a personal expression of someone' feelings often times- rejecting that CAN create hostility- no matter how innocent the rejection.

if someone is acting rude about my food- you're damn right I'm going to be a jerk. There is a time and a place to lay it on- most of the times- a simple no thank you will work.

But having a good zinger on the back burner is always helpful.

Absolutely ma'am, I agree with you. I completely understand and can relate to folks who feel the need to comment and judge everything I decide to eat. I will admit that my initial mental image was of my supervisor who loves to go out and grab some of us breakfast from a sandwich shop down the road. Imagine the most delicious, diet destroying, homemade breakfast sandwich. I pictured her walking in and holding the bag open asking if I wanted one and the look on her face as I told her I would like her if I ate like her. I feel like just thinking about it means the next time I go see my mom, she is going to give me a stern talking to about how I was raised. It just makes more sense to me to let these kind of issues remain the seldom cared about, mole hill type of issue rather than raising the level of angst or tension over lunch. Even when I go out with some of my co-workers, they will make a comment here or there about the menu. Who cares, we laugh, we eat, we move on.