SUGAR ADDICT about to go COLD TURKEY -Advice?

Options
I am terrible sugar lover. Candy? Yes please! Baked goods? Pass them my way! Chocolate? Oops, sorry... didn't mean to bite your fingers there....

I usually crave the sweets in the evening, after my supper and after my logging is done. Its a nagging little voice that creeps in anytime around 830pm or after... It whispers ice cream promises and sugary white lies that I an not strong enough to resist most nights. I have been a junk-junkie my whole life. Always.

I cannot help that I love sweets.... but I can improve the way I show that love! I am embarking on a challenge I set up for myself, it starts today and ends on June 18th. I have many fitness goals laid out and carefully planned for each day. I have food goals as well. For the next 62 days, I am going 'sugar free'.. In such a sense as no candies, cookies, cheesecakes or ice cream. No cappuccino, no pepsi... Basically I am cutting out my crutch-foods. I am hoping this will result in me losing the insane sugar cravings I currently have.

HOW CAN I KEEP THE SUGAR CRAVING AT BAY!? Do you have any go-to snacks you fall back on when you really want a naughty dessert? I'm looking for some tips or ideas. Anything that will keep me from daydreaming of a caramilk bar in the evening!

Replies

• warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    One note I missed... I am allowing myself two 'cheat' moments in the non-sugar adventure. This Saturday, a half slice of lemon merengue pie with ye olde holiday dinner.... and on May 7th, a half slice of BF's birthday cake. They will be logged and worked into my daily macros.
  • LogiesMom09
    LogiesMom09 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My go to is fruit. Lately I've been snacking on Trader Joe's golden raisins. I also bought some 85% dark chocolate squares for when I just can't resist the cravings. It satisfies the chocolate urge but isn't sweet enough to send me into a binge.

Good luck! Let us know your progress along the way.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I cannot help that I love sweets.

pretty much everyone loves sweets. Allow yourself sweets in moderation and enjoy life. Nothing should be cut out completely unless you have a medical reason to do so. Just don't go over your allotted calories and you will be fine :flowerforyou:
  • warriorprincessdi
    Options

pretty much everyone loves sweets. Allow yourself sweets in moderation and enjoy life. Nothing should be cut out completely unless you have a medical reason to do so. Just don't go over your allotted calories and you will be fine :flowerforyou:

I mean, it is like smoking or being an alcoholic.... I have cold turkey'd my way out of drug addiction years ago on sheer willpower, yet I can't go a single night without crippling want of candy...? I need to do this, just to show myself I can ignore that voice. Diabetes and other such illness run in my family, and I need to get a handle on my vices.
  • warriorprincessdi
    Options
    My go to is fruit. Lately I've been snacking on Trader Joe's golden raisins. I also bought some 85% dark chocolate squares for when I just can't resist the cravings. It satisfies the chocolate urge but isn't sweet enough to send me into a binge.

Good luck! Let us know your progress along the way.

Thanks for the fruit idea, I will certainly be stocking up on pineapple! Yum!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I was just going to the say the same about fruit! It might sound a bit lame (like how everyone says "drink water" when you're hungry - yeah sure) but honestly, it really can help. And in time your tastes will change. I used to eat a TON of junk and now if I try to eat say milk chocolate after getting used to the really good dark stuff, it just tastes oversweet and cheap to me (even if it's good milk chocolate).

One possible warning.. Hopefully you won't deal with this since you're not going compeltely sugar free but when I did Atkins, the first couple of days were rough. When your carb intake drastically decreases, you can get really irritable and headachey.

It can also help to have other substitutes. For instance, having a good protein bar instead of a chocolate bar - at least it's more balanced nutrition instead of empty calories! :)

And good for you for making exceptions and pre-planning for special occassions! Much healthier IMHO than trying to skip out altogether!

Edited because it's late and I'm tired and English can be hard. :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I mean, it is like smoking or being an alcoholic.... I have cold turkey'd my way out of drug addiction years ago on sheer willpower, yet I can't go a single night without crippling want of candy...? I need to do this, just to show myself I can ignore that voice. Diabetes and other such illness run in my family, and I need to get a handle on my vices.

I must admit you're the first person I've ever heard of to battle drug addiction and call yourself a sugar addict. Even still, the combination of sugar and fat is a tasty one, and one that many people cannot control. If you must restrict yourself, I advise only to do it to a point where you can learn moderation. There are going to be many situations throughout your life where you will be faced with the decision of whether or not to eat the goods. I say eat the goods, but learn when to push the plate away.
  • warriorprincessdi
    Options
    I was just going to the say the same about fruit! It might sound a bit lame (like how everyone says "drink water" when you're hungry - yeah sure) but honestly, it really can help. And in time your tastes will change. I used to eat a TON of junk and now if I try to eat say milk chocolate after getting used to the really good dark stuff, it just tastes oversweet and cheap to me (even if it's good milk chocolate).

One possible warning.. Hopefully you won't deal with this since you're not going compeltely sugar free but when I did Atkins, the first couple of days were rough. When your carb intake drastically increases, you can get really irritable and headachey.

It can also help to have other substitutes. For instance, having a good protein bar instead of a chocolate bar - at least it's more balanced nutrition instead of empty calories! :)

And good for you for making exceptions and pre-planning for special occassions! Much healthier IMHO than trying to skip out altogether!

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I am after by cutting my normal sugar consumption down to as little as possible! I am hoping for this change in tastes I have heard of... this elusive, magical fairy of an idea that would be amazing to experience myself! I just want to get to the point where I DON'T crave a chocolate bar or sweet tarts every night.
  • hitsnooze
    hitsnooze Posts: 79
    Options
    you know if you're eating fruit you're still eating a ton of sugar right? and still taking in sugar if you have any dairy? or most carbs? in all probability you're not going cold turkey on sugar at all, just excess sweets
  • warriorprincessdi
    Options

I must admit you're the first person I've ever heard of to battle drug addiction and call yourself a sugar addict. Even still, the combination of sugar and fat is a tasty one, and one that many people cannot control. If you must restrict yourself, I advise only to do it to a point where you can learn moderation. There are going to be many situations throughout your life where you will be faced with the decision of whether or not to eat the goods. I say eat the goods, but learn when to push the plate away.

I am just trying to convey just how deep this want, this URGE is when it hits. I have literally gone flying to the store at 3 minute to 10 in the evening before they close so I can have a caramilk or a wonderbar. It's shameful.

I went cold turkey on a pack and a half a day smoking habit....
    Left behind all the chemical drugs I used to let my life revolve around...

and yet I can't seem to ignore the thought when I start to dream of an icecream sandwich. :(

I am trying to just get to the point where I don't feel like I HAVE TO HAVE SUGAR every day.
  • SpamLamb
    SpamLamb Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a nice, hot cup of tea when the urge strikes, It takes the edge off for me. Somewhat.

Also, one bit of humble advice: No matter what anyone does during your sugar-free endeavor, please keep one thing in mind...

Murder is never the answer!
  • warriorprincessdi
    Options
    you know if you're eating fruit you're still eating a ton of sugar right? and still taking in sugar if you have any dairy? or most carbs? in all probability you're not going cold turkey on sugar at all, just excess sweets

EXCESS SWEETS honey, you hit the nail on the head. I don't want to cut out all sugar. I want healthy sugar, in moderation... so I can try to shake this excessive compulsion I have.

Am I thank different, that unique of a snowflake.... that no one else out there in the land of MFP can understand how I feel or just where I am coming from with this issue? I am sure it just mental but... it's been life-long.
  • warriorprincessdi
    Options

Also, one bit of humble advice: No matter what anyone does during your sugar-free endeavor, please keep one thing in mind...

Murder is never the answer!

;) point taken
  • adriadawn19
    adriadawn19 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I hear you there! The only advice I have is don't buy it. If i don't have it my house I am usually fine but if I buy it I eat way too much of it, my weakness is cake, cupcakes and ice cream. Sometime I buy a huge chocolate bar and stick it in the freezer and then after dinner I eat 2 squares and it helps because I still get sweets but it's not like eating what I normally would eat!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    For the first three days allow yourself to eat your cravings away -- just not with carbs of any sort, even fruit. If it's the end of the day and you're going crazy eat eggs, meat and cheese whatever works just don't give in to the sugar cravings. After those first few days you're golden. The cravings will be greatly reduced and manageable. Give it a few weeks and they're completely gone -- at least on a low carb diet they are.

I've been there and it's such a freaking relief not to be obsessed with food and uncontrollable cravings anymore it's worth the effort. Just get past the first few days however you need to. Best wishes.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You could also add in snacks that just have a small amount of sugar but fill you up. I LOVE the Power Crunch protein energy bars because they taste like wafer cookies, complete with cream inside. But they have only 5 g of sugar and 13 g of protein, so they satisfy my sweet tooth AND fill me up for awhile because of the protein. https://powercrunch.com/
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am terrible sugar lover. Candy? Yes please! Baked goods? Pass them my way! Chocolate? Oops, sorry... didn't mean to bite your fingers there....

I usually crave the sweets in the evening, after my supper and after my logging is done. Its a nagging little voice that creeps in anytime around 830pm or after... It whispers ice cream promises and sugary white lies that I an not strong enough to resist most nights. I have been a junk-junkie my whole life. Always.

I cannot help that I love sweets.... but I can improve the way I show that love! I am embarking on a challenge I set up for myself, it starts today and ends on June 18th. I have many fitness goals laid out and carefully planned for each day. I have food goals as well. For the next 62 days, I am going 'sugar free'.. In such a sense as no candies, cookies, cheesecakes or ice cream. No cappuccino, no pepsi... Basically I am cutting out my crutch-foods. I am hoping this will result in me losing the insane sugar cravings I currently have.

HOW CAN I KEEP THE SUGAR CRAVING AT BAY!? Do you have any go-to snacks you fall back on when you really want a naughty dessert? I'm looking for some tips or ideas. Anything that will keep me from daydreaming of a caramilk bar in the evening!

A zero carb diet sounds miserable, best of luck. If you're not going zero carb, you're not going sugar free...
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm only just starting myself but I find that I need to cut it out completely for now because I can't have just a little. Don't have it in the house and don't look at it in the store if you can help it. (have someone else shop for you if you can). Ones you don't crave it so much. It will happen. You can have a try at a small serving ones in a while. This is what works for me.

(not talking about all sugar, just added sugar, mostly sweet treats)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

EXCESS SWEETS honey, you hit the nail on the head. I don't want to cut out all sugar. I want healthy sugar, in moderation... so I can try to shake this excessive compulsion I have.

Am I thank different, that unique of a snowflake.... that no one else out there in the land of MFP can understand how I feel or just where I am coming from with this issue? I am sure it just mental but... it's been life-long.

It's not that unique of a problem. The problem on occurs when people say that sugar is an addictive substance, but I think you've been clear as to say that your problem with sugar is yourself.

I second the fruit advice, and don't keep any trigger foods in your house until you have it under control. I always tell people that when the thought/craving hits, go do some exercise. If by the time you're done exercising you still want it, at least you've burned some calories to make up for it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    For the first three days allow yourself to eat your cravings away -- just not with carbs of any sort, even fruit. If it's the end of the day and you're going crazy eat eggs, meat and cheese whatever works just don't give in to the sugar cravings. After those first few days you're golden. The cravings will be greatly reduced and manageable. Give it a few weeks and they're completely gone -- at least on a low carb diet they are.

I've been there and it's such a freaking relief not to be obsessed with food and uncontrollable cravings anymore it's worth the effort. Just get past the first few days however you need to. Best wishes.

What's wrong with her eating fruit? She's just trying to get control over her trigger foods, not eliminate an entire food group.