SUGAR ADDICT about to go COLD TURKEY -Advice?

Options

Replies

• GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I cannot help that I love sweets.

pretty much everyone loves sweets. Allow yourself sweets in moderation and enjoy life. Nothing should be cut out completely unless you have a medical reason to do so. Just don't go over your allotted calories and you will be fine :flowerforyou:

I mean, it is like smoking or being an alcoholic.... I have cold turkey'd my way out of drug addiction years ago on sheer willpower, yet I can't go a single night without crippling want of candy...? I need to do this, just to show myself I can ignore that voice. Diabetes and other such illness run in my family, and I need to get a handle on my vices.

You cannot go cold turkey with sugar because it is literally in everything except meat. The only thing you can do is teach yourself moderation. Cutting out trigger foods in the short term can be helpful, but you will have better long term success if you gradually reintroduce them after a while. A life devoid of any sweet treats is unlikely to be sustainable for all but a few people. Self-imposed deprivation is one of the biggest causes of binge eating. Just keep that in mind.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I am terrible sugar lover. Candy? Yes please! Baked goods? Pass them my way! Chocolate? Oops, sorry... didn't mean to bite your fingers there....

I usually crave the sweets in the evening, after my supper and after my logging is done. Its a nagging little voice that creeps in anytime around 830pm or after... It whispers ice cream promises and sugary white lies that I an not strong enough to resist most nights. I have been a junk-junkie my whole life. Always.

I cannot help that I love sweets.... but I can improve the way I show that love! I am embarking on a challenge I set up for myself, it starts today and ends on June 18th. I have many fitness goals laid out and carefully planned for each day. I have food goals as well. For the next 62 days, I am going 'sugar free'.. In such a sense as no candies, cookies, cheesecakes or ice cream. No cappuccino, no pepsi... Basically I am cutting out my crutch-foods. I am hoping this will result in me losing the insane sugar cravings I currently have.

HOW CAN I KEEP THE SUGAR CRAVING AT BAY!? Do you have any go-to snacks you fall back on when you really want a naughty dessert? I'm looking for some tips or ideas. Anything that will keep me from daydreaming of a caramilk bar in the evening!

A zero carb diet sounds miserable, best of luck. If you're not going zero carb, you're not going sugar free...

nobody is talking about natural sugars bud.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    For the first three days allow yourself to eat your cravings away -- just not with carbs of any sort, even fruit. If it's the end of the day and you're going crazy eat eggs, meat and cheese whatever works just don't give in to the sugar cravings. After those first few days you're golden. The cravings will be greatly reduced and manageable. Give it a few weeks and they're completely gone -- at least on a low carb diet they are.

I've been there and it's such a freaking relief not to be obsessed with food and uncontrollable cravings anymore it's worth the effort. Just get past the first few days however you need to. Best wishes.

So much ignorance. Eggs have sugar, cheese has sugar. Don't eat any carbs, then suggests eating carbs. LOL

love how this was a peaceful, helpful thread till acg came along.

OP you've got some great advice and sounds like you're on the right track. I think the fruit idea is where I'd start. Good luck!
  • asianrunner
    asianrunner Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love sugar as well but I've managed to cut back on my sugar consumption. I still like to eat a serving (or two) of a sugary cereal for an afternoon snack and sometimes have a fun size 3 musketeers or serving of ice cream for dessert after dinner.

But the crazy sugar cravings have mostly gone away. When I'm stressed, I automatically head to the cupboard for chocolate but it's definitely lessened.

I just think of it in moderation. I won't ever be able to cut sugary cravings out. I plan my day knowing I will eat something but I try to keep it at a serving or less. But since I eat something sugary every day. it's not as big of a deal as it used to be.
  • lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what is it about the setting of the sun and those cravings for cakes, cookies, crackers etc? I'm currently trying to figure out how to moderate those same cravings. It's gotten to the point where i have walked to the store in the middle of a raging migraine to get a bag of animal crackers (oh and a honeybun, and maybe one of those muffins there).

Today I succeeded at managing the craving (but the night is young?), Monday I had 10 Chinese donuts...

Some things I've done:
    1. Eat low carb substitutes for the treats you love. This worked for me for a few months, but it requires: baking, expensive substitutes (e.g. almond flour instead of regular flour), and the time to experiment. It was rewarding and fun when I made delicious almond flour coffee cake, but there is an investment. Its not a quick trip to the store. My health took a turn for the worse and I can't do this anymore.

2. Berries and grapes when you want to munch on something at night.

3. Whipped Cream, apply directly to the mouth straight out of the can if you're a heathen like me. Or combine with the aforementioned berries for something more filling.

4. Sugar free torani syrups, add to.. things...

5. Address the emotional reasons for the times you don't eat moderately, with the goal of eating intuitively. I use mindfulness to observe what is happening when i go overboard. I also found this woman's videos interesting and helpful for my migraine binges (I was licking my wounds): http://www.youtube.com/user/josielenore

Currently, I'm doing the every other day diet, where I eat what I want (up to TDEE) one day, and 500 calories the next day. So my sugar donuts didn't hurt me but I still think it's best to learn control.
  • pennyjlong
    Options
    I was hooked on sugar also. I have not had any in 8 weeks. I think for me, I increased my protein. I also journaled everything that went into my mouth. I allowed myself between 50 and 60 carbs per day and cut back my fat intake. I needed a lot of accountability.
    I took it one day at a time. I have been doing some form of exercise everyday. Walking and water aerobics and yoga are my choices. I am 69 years young and I feel great after getting rid of 15 lbs. I am not quite where I want to be yet. For me another 10 lbs off my body would be great. In the past I have been a yo yo diet person, so I am determined not to take back the weight. When I get thoughts of wanting a sweet, I redirect my thinking to something else and remind myself how proud I am of me for resisting. It is just not worth it to eat what is not good for me. I know I will probably have tough choices, I will take them one at a time.
    I just received a gift of kaula filled chocolate cups. I gave them to my husband. lol Can't believe I did that. In the past, I would of hid them so I could eat them myself and not share. lol Good Luck I know you can do this journey. You are worth it and will like yourself and be proud and maybe a little cocky. As you should. A big Hug to you for doing this journey.
  • pennyjlong
    Options
    She is so right that we just need to get through the first few days to get rid of the cravings. Thank goodness I got rid of mine. Don't want them back. Say Nay to sugar!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I am terrible sugar lover. Candy? Yes please! Baked goods? Pass them my way! Chocolate? Oops, sorry... didn't mean to bite your fingers there....

I usually crave the sweets in the evening, after my supper and after my logging is done. Its a nagging little voice that creeps in anytime around 830pm or after... It whispers ice cream promises and sugary white lies that I an not strong enough to resist most nights. I have been a junk-junkie my whole life. Always.

I cannot help that I love sweets.... but I can improve the way I show that love! I am embarking on a challenge I set up for myself, it starts today and ends on June 18th. I have many fitness goals laid out and carefully planned for each day. I have food goals as well. For the next 62 days, I am going 'sugar free'.. In such a sense as no candies, cookies, cheesecakes or ice cream. No cappuccino, no pepsi... Basically I am cutting out my crutch-foods. I am hoping this will result in me losing the insane sugar cravings I currently have.

HOW CAN I KEEP THE SUGAR CRAVING AT BAY!? Do you have any go-to snacks you fall back on when you really want a naughty dessert? I'm looking for some tips or ideas. Anything that will keep me from daydreaming of a caramilk bar in the evening!

OP are you also cutting out fruit, honey, carbs, etc…because you know, sugar..?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    One note I missed... I am allowing myself two 'cheat' moments in the non-sugar adventure. This Saturday, a half slice of lemon merengue pie with ye olde holiday dinner.... and on May 7th, a half slice of BF's birthday cake. They will be logged and worked into my daily macros.

that is like a crack head saying I am going to allow myself a cheat day and smoke some crack ..I mean if you truly are addicted to sugar then you need to eliminate all sugar intake and never go back to the dark side, right?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    My go to is fruit. Lately I've been snacking on Trader Joe's golden raisins. I also bought some 85% dark chocolate squares for when I just can't resist the cravings. It satisfies the chocolate urge but isn't sweet enough to send me into a binge.

Good luck! Let us know your progress along the way.

Thanks for the fruit idea, I will certainly be stocking up on pineapple! Yum!

wait, pineapple has sugar in it….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    you know if you're eating fruit you're still eating a ton of sugar right? and still taking in sugar if you have any dairy? or most carbs? in all probability you're not going cold turkey on sugar at all, just excess sweets

EXCESS SWEETS honey, you hit the nail on the head. I don't want to cut out all sugar. I want healthy sugar, in moderation... so I can try to shake this excessive compulsion I have.

Am I thank different, that unique of a snowflake.... that no one else out there in the land of MFP can understand how I feel or just where I am coming from with this issue? I am sure it just mental but... it's been life-long.

ummmm sugar is sugar…your body treats it all the same…
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/62/1/212S.short < please review this study that specially says no difference in how your body reacts to added sugar or fruit sugar..

sugar is sugar…

you really do not need to do this ..it is unnecessary ...
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    For the first three days allow yourself to eat your cravings away -- just not with carbs of any sort, even fruit. If it's the end of the day and you're going crazy eat eggs, meat and cheese whatever works just don't give in to the sugar cravings. After those first few days you're golden. The cravings will be greatly reduced and manageable. Give it a few weeks and they're completely gone -- at least on a low carb diet they are.

I've been there and it's such a freaking relief not to be obsessed with food and uncontrollable cravings anymore it's worth the effort. Just get past the first few days however you need to. Best wishes.

So much ignorance. Eggs have sugar, cheese has sugar. Don't eat any carbs, then suggests eating carbs. LOL

She actually explained this in her first post! She is not going no carb. So why harp on it.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    What happens on June 19th though?

sugar binge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I love sex so much that I just had to give it up . . . lol :laugh:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I love sex so much that I just had to give it up . . . lol :laugh:

is that how Tiger Woods got over his sex addiction?
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I had a friend with an actual "sugar addiction". She was obese, went to OA (12 step), had a sponsor and everything. If you believe that sugar causes you to lose control and binge eat I'd give OA a second or third thought. With help, she was able to avoid sugar and get down to a reasonable weight. Sugar to her was like alcohol to an alcoholic not a portion control issue. Good luck!
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Make sure there are no weapons in your house. Good luck!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Advice? Learn moderation. You're going to have to do so if you ever want to be able to enjoy your favorites. Why not start learning it today instead of procrastinating for three months?
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    my advice is to quit cold turkey. the first day or 2 is the hardest. after that is gets easier. you have to break the habit. you are used to having a treat after your meal or at a certain time of day. reprogram your brain by not giving in to it. don't replace it with another food, that defeats the purpose. if you can stop eating the treats, you will stop craving them. and then you'll feel in control again. once you get to that point, you can have a treat every once in a while without derailing your weight loss journey.
  • pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I did it cold turkey as well with refined sugars. I was truly addicted. I needed 3 spoons of sugar in my tiny cup of coffee. I had multiple such cups a day. I ate a lot of candy and baked goodies as well. I tried reducing the number of spoons of sugar one at a time but it didn't work. I had to quit cold turkey. I think it was a healthy thing to do. I still ate natural sugars in terms of dairy and fruits. I had terrible cravings for the first couple of weeks but it died down slowly. Now I drink sugarless coffee without going nuts. I also reduced my coffee to two cups a day along with cutting the sugars. I had terrible migraines for the first two weeks. I managed with Tylenol/ibuprofen and lots of water. Now, I do consume sugar in moderation, in terms of an occasional treat or ice cream. The last two weeks were awful in terms of diet because of multiple parties I've hosted. I did go overboard but started zero sugar again today and I have absolutely no craving. I can control even if I have sugary junk at home.

HTH. Good Luck. You can do it!